Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bluetooth mod kit for original controllers from 8bitdo  (Read 28975 times)

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
Re: Bluetooth mod kit for original controllers from 8bitdo
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2019, 02:14:53 pm »
Latest reply from 8bitdo is that they want more details, including a video if possible. So I'm uploading a video now and will email more details.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2019, 05:12:54 pm »
At least it sounds like they want to try to find a solution for you. Good luck and please keep us posted.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2019, 10:55:57 am »
They are sending me a new kit.

I understand that postage from China or Hong Kong makes this more expensive for them than for a company based in the US, but I appreciate that they had a good customer service representative who followed through.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2019, 07:12:34 am »
So I was on Twitter yesterday and a popular YouTuber posted a link to a video review of the Genesis DIY kit and new BT receiver. I started watching it and it turns out that the D-pad on his DIY kit didn't work right out of the box. 8BitDo is sending him a new one, but all this has me wondering if there is some design flaw with these products. I really hope not since I have three of them now (NES, SNES, and Genesis). Thankfully it seems like 8BitDo is standing behind their products and replacing them when this happens. That does give me some piece of mind.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 04:39:56 pm by gamepimp »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2019, 01:08:00 pm »
I just read a comment on that video saying that someone else got a replacement from 8bitdo that was sent economy and took about 6 weeks to arrive, so I guess I shouldn't hold my breath checking the mail for a while.

Thanks for the post and video link.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2019, 01:35:49 pm »

This is a follow-up video. Apparently, his problem was a firmware update and a faulty solder connection with the battery. He also mentioned that he didn't read the instructions and paired it incorrectly.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2019, 02:14:35 pm »
Still relevant
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2019, 04:39:05 pm »
This is a follow-up video. Apparently, his problem was a firmware update and a faulty solder connection with the battery. He also mentioned that he didn't read the instructions and paired it incorrectly.

Thanks for the heads-up about the new video. Turns out that my controller needed a slight update to the newest firmware. Just like the YT guy, I didn't think there were any firmware updates because they didn't list anything on the support page. Wonder if the NES/SNES kits need an update? Unfortunately for those, you have to take the controller apart to get to that stupid micro USB connector. Fun times. LOL!

Sorry to hear it might take a month and a half to get the new kit. Those must really ship on the "slow boat from China".  :laugh2:

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2019, 09:53:42 pm »
Yeah, I went ahead and updated all of mine, not fun. I think I wore out one of the screwdrivers they sent me.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2019, 11:13:32 am »
LOL! Well, to be fair those screwdrivers are pretty cheap. I don't think it takes much to wear them out...

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2019, 02:23:11 pm »
About 4 weeks later, I received my replacement SNES pcb from 8bitdo and it seems to work perfectly. Hopefully, that was just a fluke and these things will last a good long time.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2019, 07:43:43 am »
About 4 weeks later, I received my replacement SNES pcb from 8bitdo and it seems to work perfectly. Hopefully, that was just a fluke and these things will last a good long time.

Nice!  :cheers: I really enjoy the fact that I can use the original controllers wirelessly. I really hope they offer other kits for different controllers at some point.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2019, 10:38:17 am »
I think the crux is that they won't do analog controllers. That's probably a good thing, though. I like these PCB's because they don't change the feel of the original controllers. If you had to switch out the analog pots, I can't imagine that they would feel the same as the originals.

Personally, I wish that they would make Bluetooth PCB's for the original 3 button Genesis controllers.

But, yeah, I'm really enjoying playing my old consoles with original controls wirelessly.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 02:54:30 pm by KenToad »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2019, 02:52:52 pm »

Looks like the mod kits for the Genesis 6-button controllers fit in the Retro-bit licensed reproductions.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2019, 09:48:42 am »
I ordered the Retro-Bit controller from Amazon ($14.99 with free shipping) and am going to put my DIY kit in it. My current 6 button controller is pretty beat up and I’m stoked to be able to have one that will look brand new. I’ve heard pretty good things about the build quality. Looking forward to Retro-Bits wireless Saturn and Dreamcast controllers. My consoles are pretty far from my couch and it’s nice to have wireless controllers for them, especially when they are OEM.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2019, 04:02:24 pm »
I'm really curious if the guts of the Retro-bit controller will fit in an original six-button controller, seems like it could be a great way to refurbish old original controllers.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2019, 07:19:24 pm »
I'm really curious if the guts of the Retro-bit controller will fit in an original six-button controller, seems like it could be a great way to refurbish old original controllers.

Great idea! I’ll test it out when I get the new controller.  :cheers:

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2019, 09:15:01 pm »
I'm having a recurring issue where the NES wireless controllers stop functioning properly in 2 player simultaneous games.

Does anyone else have a pair of Retro receivers plugged into an OG NES to confirm whether or not they've had problems?

*Edit* Firmware update, so I'll give that a shot.

*Nope* No change after the update, as far as I can tell. As soon as I unplug the second receiver, everything works well. I first started noticing problems in Rescue Rangers 2, in case anyone else wants to test.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 01:22:20 am by KenToad »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2019, 05:28:07 am »
Which wireless NES controllers do you have?  The DIY install, or the N30's?

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2019, 08:31:27 am »
The DIY install.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2019, 11:28:15 am »
Some more research turns up several reviews on the Amazon retro receiver product page describing the same type of behavior with two receivers. One reviewer said that he/she had solved the issue by putting one of the receivers farther away from the other using an extension cable. They believed that the devices are interfering with each other. That sounds a bit unlikely to me, but what do I know.

I also saw a YouTube video (linked below) demonstrating that you could activate diagonals on the new Retrobit 6 button Genesis controllers by pressing on the center of the D-pad. I have tested this using a controller testing program with my official 6-button controllers and you definitely cannot do that. So it looks like the new Retrobit controllers are not exactly the same as the original Sega products, which is disappointing.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2019, 11:57:53 am »
I’m terrible at video games, but I got to play with opt2nots nes controllers and these mods are legit.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2019, 12:25:57 pm »
Yeah, they're amazing when they work. I'm just a bit irked that they couldn't beta test these things and advertise them correctly. They've already changed their marketing on both Amazon and their own page to reflect that the receivers only work for up to two players (because they don't want to offer support or refunds when they don't work for 3 or 4 players, as in Opt2Not's case).  Clearly, 8bitdo didn't do proper testing and just rushed to market.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2019, 11:17:01 am »
I also saw a YouTube video (linked below) demonstrating that you could activate diagonals on the new Retrobit 6 button Genesis controllers by pressing on the center of the D-pad. I have tested this using a controller testing program with my official 6-button controllers and you definitely cannot do that. So it looks like the new Retrobit controllers are not exactly the same as the original Sega products, which is disappointing.

From what I've gathered these things really aren't any better than RetroBit's previous "non-official" controllers.