Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bluetooth mod kit for original controllers from 8bitdo  (Read 28857 times)

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 12:22:10 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
Bluetooth mod kit for original controllers from 8bitdo
« on: July 18, 2018, 01:00:12 pm »
https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/mod-kit-for-nes-controller

So they have drop in replacement pcb's for original snes, nes and 6-button Genesis controllers that have Bluetooth and rechargable batteries. I think they look pretty awesome. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 01:02:38 pm by KenToad »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Bluetooth mod kit for original controllers from 8bitdo
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 01:08:40 pm »
For $20, I think you're better off spend $25 and getting an SN30.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 01:49:42 pm »
Are they at least as good as the original controllers?

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 02:04:32 pm »
I think this is a brilliant move by 8BitDo. I would prefer to have original controllers converted to bluetooth versus having their aftermarket ones. If they can come out with these drop in PCBs (and receivers) for the earlier Sega consoles like the Master System, Genesis, and Saturn and also for the NEC consoles like PC Engine, Turbo Grafx, and Super Grafx I think they could make a ton of money. For the NEC systems, the controllers are almost all identical. That should make it even more compelling for them...

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 02:18:33 pm »

Esp seeing that the $20 is just for the PCB for the controller and does not include the bluetooth dongle for the connection. SO you need to also buy a $20 dongle device.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 02:20:39 pm »
Are they at least as good as the original controllers?
They are. Especially after the buttons are broken-in more, softening the silicone pads so the buttons are a bit more mushy like your old controllers.  I can't remember how my SNES controllers felt when they were brand new, but I've been using my SN30's a lot lately, mainly for Switch and I've got one that's broken-in pretty nicely and feels very close to my originals.

They are perfect for Octopath Traveller...I'm getting my old Final Fantasy feels here!

I think this is a brilliant move by 8BitDo. I would prefer to have original controllers converted to bluetooth versus having their aftermarket ones. If they can come out with these drop in PCBs (and receivers) for the earlier Sega consoles like the Master System, Genesis, and Saturn and also for the NEC consoles like PC Engine, Turbo Grafx, and Super Grafx I think they could make a ton of money. For the NEC systems, the controllers are almost all identical. That should make it even more compelling for them...
Personally I wouldn't want to do this to my original controllers.  But to do this to the Classic Mini controllers is fine in my books. But still, for a $20 DIY board, I think that's still a bit too expensive.
I think if they knocked down the price by $5 it would be worth it more.

^this.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 03:02:46 pm »
I don't even remember when/how/why I ended up with an SN30 but I regret not taking it out of the drawer sooner.  Works great with my Pi Zero and now I ponder the money I spent on all those HDMI mini consoles.   :P

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 03:14:50 pm »

Esp seeing that the $20 is just for the PCB for the controller and does not include the bluetooth dongle for the connection. SO you need to also buy a $20 dongle device.

Yeah, I would have to buy the dongle. I may buy a couple of Snes pcb's and a Genesis pcb, especially since the latter has partially shorted out wires. I also like that the controllers can do x-input and d-input. I have a bunch of USB converters, but the wires are a PITA.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 03:16:18 pm »
Thinking about this more, I wouldn't mind doing this mod to an NES Classic Mini controller.

The 8bitdo Bluetooth NES controllers has additional buttons on it (basically making it an SNES controller), which was disappointing because I would have rather a bluetooth controller that is only 2-buttons like the original NES.  With this mod, you can take the NES Classic Mini controller with the proper buttons and upgrade it.

But, I'm curious on how charging works too. Does it connect to that plastic nub that fills the cord hole?

Edit:  Found my answer on their Facebook page:

Quote from: 8bitdo
There is no need to unscrew anything. If you take a look at the LED tube, there is tiny little whole in the centre which functions as the USB port for the special USB cable we provide you with for charging
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 03:22:31 pm by opt2not »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 03:25:31 pm »
I got a generic "wireless gamepad" snes clone from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BDCW923/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's pretty much an 8bitdo, and should probably work with the 8bit dongles as it's a generic hid gamepad.  As-is it works for the snes/nes classic and the pc.  It feels fairly identical to a real snes pad except the select and start buttons oddly aren't rounded on the top.  I like the fact that they mapped the buttons on the pc like a xb360 controller, so start and select work properly for most games.  Keep in mind I bought this when it was 14 bucks though.

I like the idea of the pcbs on jankly, busted up gamepads, but I wouldn't use them on my good stuff.  Honestly what kills the 8bitdo stuff is the fact that they don't include the dongle with the purchase of a gamepad. 

opt2not:  For the nes classic just go to allied express.... you'll find wireless gamepads that are identical to the nes gamepad (except for the Nintendo logo) for 12 bucks.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 03:47:15 pm »
From the videos 8BitDo has on their website, the old PCB pops out of the controller and the new one slips in. There is no modification of the controller whatsoever. Given the fact that nothing gets "hacked up" in the process, I wouldn't mind doing this mod in any of my gamepads. It could all be reversed at any time. I do agree that the price seems a little high. I'm sure the rechargeable battery and "proprietary" charging cable add a lot to the cost. I have a feeling these things will end up on eBay for a lot cheaper like most of 8BitDos controllers.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 05:01:03 pm »
I got a generic "wireless gamepad" snes clone from amazon

If that thing actually works with both the SNES Classic and a PC then it's got more functionality than the 8bitdo controllers. 

:o

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 08:16:10 pm »
Yeah it works great.  Beat Mega Man X with it a couple of weeks ago.  You just have to pair it when switching for pc to console and you just press down + start for that. 

Btw for the 8bitdo fans I saw the dongles for $12 on amazon this morning.  Isn't that kind of cheap?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 08:49:32 pm »
Btw for the 8bitdo fans I saw the dongles for $12 on amazon this morning.  Isn't that kind of cheap?
That's for the classic mini dongle.  The NES (original) dongle is still $20...

Anyway, I was able to pick up a NES classic mini controller for $10 on ebay. Brand new, official controller. Went to the 8bitdo site to grab the Mod Kit for NES, proceeded to check-out and noticed these are shipping from China!  Great.  That means if you want it in any reasonable shipping time, it'll cost you $20+.  :timebomb: But 7-15 business days for China E-packet shipping is $3.99.

Looks like I'll be waiting to do this mod for a little while then. But at the end of the day, to get a new controller with the proper amount of buttons, that has the Nintendo branding, and bluetooth connectivity is going to cost me $33.98.   That doesn't include the NES dongle!

Yes, the aliexpress clones are much cheaper, but honestly I always try to avoid purchasing Chinese clones whenever I can.

EDIT:   I can grab the NES dongle on ebay for $10.  Again, shipping from China.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:01:38 pm by opt2not »

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 07:13:30 am »
Opt, let us know what you think of the kit and the installation process once the slow boat from the far east arrives. I've got the 4 button (N30?) controller that looks like a NES gamepad and might consider selling that and picking up this kit instead. Like you said, it would be nice to have a controller with the proper buttons and the Nintendo logo on it. Definitely would look and feel more authentic.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 11:54:30 am »
I love my N30 Pro for my Pi.  They work well but get uncomfortable after 3+ hours of play.  I'm considering upgrading to SN30 Pro G Classic Edition.  Looks like it will work better for extended play on N64 and PSX games.  Just bums me they don't have a NES color scheme.  Just a Famicom, Super Famicon, and SNES color scheme.  Might be able to mod the buttons and what not.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 02:57:57 pm »
Received my kit yesterday, surprisingly fast! Just about 2 weeks for the cheapest shipping from China.

Comes with the PCB, a screwdriver for taking apart your controller, a USB charge cable that has a custom plug, and an easy to follow instruction sheet.

I went with a brand-new NES Classic controller, rather an modding my old original. Some familiar looking parts in here:

Installation is easy, drop-in, took no more than 5 mins.
The custom usb charging nub/port fills the hole in the shell that was for the controller's cable, acts is both a connection port and an LED indicator.

Functionally the controller is the same as my SN30, from selecting modes on power-up, syncing, and powering off. I played a bunch of Salamander, Gradius II, and Mega Man 2 in the few hours I had for testing it, and I didn't feel any lag.  I did have to update the firmware on my NES Retro Receiver to get it to synchronize with the controller. So if you guys are using this on original hardware make sure your Receiver is updated.

Next I'll see how it feels on the Switch, I've been playing a bunch of lately and it's a 2-button fighter that would be perfect with an NES controller. I usually prefer an arcade stick when playing fighting games, but this game was built with a pad in mind.

Overall I'm really happy with this kit!

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 09:59:42 am »
Thanks for the write-up Opt. Looks like a pretty cool piece of kit. Hopefully they make these for other controllers and also make receivers for systems like the Genesis/PC Engine/etc. There’s definitely market out there...

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 10:20:34 pm »
Wow, that looks really neat. Thanks for sharing, opt2not.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:31:35 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 02:49:33 am »
I don't even remember when/how/why I ended up with an SN30

Bruh  :'(

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 04:32:57 am »
Great write up opt.

I emailed 8bitdo the other day asking if they will be doing neo geo controller replacements anytime soon and they said they would pass my request onto the dev team.

They seem to be giving retro gamers what they need so ime quietly hopeful!

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 12:53:17 am »
I finally bought my own 8bitdo DIY kits, one each for original NES, SNES and 6 button Genesis. I also got SNES and NES retro receivers.

So far, everything works perfectly. One of the coolest features is that you can connect the console retro receivers to your PC to use your 8bitdo controllers as xbox 360 controllers. I just spent an hour or so playing Ducktales Remastered on Steam with the 6 button genesis controller loaded with the DIY wireless PCB. I could see having several of the receivers for different original console controllers. Then, when you want to switch emulators, just turn off whatever controller was already on and activate the next controller that you want to use. This should eliminate the problem of Windows reordering controllers each time you unplug anything or reboot the computer, since all your controllers will be seen as 360 controllers that are always numbered in the order that you activate them.

Previously, I used usb converters for my wired original controllers and had issues with controller order and emulators having to be remapped all the time.

I also tested my NES retro receiver with a 4 score on an original NES front loader. It works flawlessly, as expected. I'm just sharing because I hadn't heard anything yet and I was curious if the functionality of the multi-tap might not play nice with the receiver.

One other thing to report is that this DIY kit won't fix bad diagonals on old NES controllers, at least for the two that I tried, even after cleaning the rubber contacts with alcohol. Anyone got any suggestions?

Also, I had to update the firmware on the receivers to get PC connectivity with the controllers, despite ordering direct from 8bitdo just last week.

Short story, these things seem to be all that they're cracked up to be. All I need now is a retro receiver for Genesis, if only 8bitdo would just make one already.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 08:53:22 am »
Thanks for the feedback KenToad. I am planning on ordering these kits soon. Do they ship from Asia? If so, how long did it take to get them?

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 09:45:48 am »
It took 6 days from the moment of ordering to being delivered by DHL, not bad for China to Wisconsin.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 10:44:07 am »
It took 6 days from the moment of ordering to being delivered by DHL, not bad for China to Wisconsin.

Wow! That's not bad at all. I live in Kansas, so I assume the ship time is similar. It would be nice to get these before Christmas. I've got family coming out to visit and I suspect they will want to do some gaming while they are here...

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 11:47:12 am »
Yeah, shipping wasn't cheap, but it was fast. I imagine that they sent it out that day.

*Editing to add that I bought two Snes/Nes classic retro receivers off Amazon. They're cheap at only $13 shipped. I don't have the classic units, but I plan to connect them to my PC so that I can use my original modified controllers and the WiiU pro controller with emulators. I'll have NES, SNES, 6-button Genesis and a WiiU pro connected. That and a Mayflash PS3 adaptor should cover pretty much all retro gaming and they can all be used at the same time for multiplayer.

I wonder if there's a limit on how many 360 controllers I can attach to my Win10 computer at one time?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 11:57:32 am by KenToad »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2018, 01:44:00 pm »
PSA:  I found out the hard way, but the SNES Retro Receivers apparently do not support the multitap.  The 8bitdo product page says it is supposed to be "compatible with two-four Retro Receivers for multiplayer player games":

I've contacted 8bitdo, and they told me that they didn't know it doesn't work with the multitap. They said never tested it.  :o
How can you state that it works for 2-4 players at a time without testing the multitap?

I hope 8bitdo can fix this with a firmware update.

I've bought multiple pads and retro receivers for this purpose (Super Bomberman tourneys are a ton of fun!), but it seems I have jumped the gun.

(slowly building up my NES 4-player support, as funds permit. Gotta get ready for Micro Mages next year!)

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2018, 02:45:45 pm »
Thanks so much for sharing! I haven't tested the NES retro receiver on ports 2, 3, or 4 yet, not to mention up to four of them running at once.

I'm fine with having only the first player be wireless, mainly because the multitaps themselves act as controller extensions.

And I don't have a regular group for 3-5 player retro gaming. We do play a lot of Towerfall, Rocket League, Castle Crashers, and Overcooked, though. Broforce seems like it would be fun for 4 players, but a little too gratuitous for my elementary school aged kids.

The colored stickers are brilliant, by the way.

Man, a fun Bomberman group would be amazing.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2018, 03:54:24 pm »
I have a regular group of gamer buddies that I get together with every other week or so for multiplayer games and bourbon. ;)
Each meet-up one person supplies the entertainment or theme of their choice and a bottle of bourbon or whiskey to share. It’s usually consoles but we have had LAN parties in the past too, but those are few due to the hassle and setup.
I normally like to bring my SNES, NES or Saturn, so getting a wireless option for these meet-ups sounded like a great idea. Unfortunate that my attempt with the SNES failed. I haven’t tried the 4-Score on my NES yet, so I’m not sure if it’s the same.

But yeah, Bomberman tourneys are fantastic! Or as we’ve dubbed it, Bourbonman Tourneys because by the end of the night we’re usually pretty tipsy  :timebomb:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2018, 04:51:51 pm »
I had parties like that, too, but we ran the numbers and they were costing me nearly $1,000/month.  Between booze, food, fresh games to play.  It was amazing what ravenous and bitchy pigs your friends and their families can transform into.  Amazingly, none of them have stepped up to the plate after I pulled the plug, either. 

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2018, 02:32:58 pm »
Whoah, pbj, sounds like you threw some rockin' parties. I would tend to agree that it's no fun if you feel like you're the only person who is interested in hosting.

I tested my SNES retro receiver and it works with my super multitap. I tested playing Super Bomberman 2 with a WiiU pro controller synched up since I haven't done the DIY kit for my SNES controller yet. Keep in mind that this is with all other controllers being wired, so that might make a difference, but I tested it on ports 2 and 3 with no issues.

What games have you tested, opt2not? Are you up to date with your firmware? Mine is 1.33.

I'm really curious because I'm starting to think that I might want more retro receivers.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2018, 03:31:54 pm »
I tested my SNES retro receiver and it works with my super multitap. I tested playing Super Bomberman 2 with a WiiU pro controller synched up since I haven't done the DIY kit for my SNES controller yet. Keep in mind that this is with all other controllers being wired, so that might make a difference, but I tested it on ports 2 and 3 with no issues.

hmm, i wonder if it's a power issue through the multitap. With all 4 receivers plugged in, I can't get P3 and P4 to work.

The product pages states:
Code: [Select]
DC Power supply 5V, 100mA (powers directly from the NES controller port)So I'm wondering if the multitap isn't allowing enough power to come through to the ports.  I'll have to test just having 1 connected to P3, but I'm for certain that having all 4 plugged in doesn't allow P3 and P4 to function.

What games have you tested, opt2not? Are you up to date with your firmware? Mine is 1.33.

I'm really curious because I'm starting to think that I might want more retro receivers.
I tried Super Bomberman to no avail. 

I have Firmware v1.31 installed, I just noticed they updated the firmware last month, so i can give that a try too. They don't list any fixes for this in the release notes, but perhaps they fixed it incognito since they've been claiming it works with multiplayers already.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2018, 03:53:04 pm »
Okay, I just tested Super Bomberman with the retro receiver in port 4. It worked.

Hopefully, 8bitdo fixed the problem with the latest firmware. Yeah, I would imagine that they might conveniently neglect to mention fixing something that was already listed as a feature.

Assuming this works, I wonder if you can use 5 SNES retro receivers at once? The Super Multitap isn't as good of a controller extension as the Four Score.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 04:08:51 pm by KenToad »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2018, 04:05:29 pm »
Hmm, I have another sort of difficult decision to make. I have 8 SNES controllers. Of those, 4 are flawless. 2 are nearly perfect, just slightly mushy d-pads, 1 with a non-functioning start button and another that has a wonky d-pad (right doesn't register unless you press firmly).

What would you guys do? I was leaning toward harvesting the best of the lot, but now I'm thinking I might as well open up the 2 defective controllers, just might need a bit of cleaning.

Has anyone had any luck with fixing SNES controllers? Was it just a matter of cleaning the contact surfaces with rubbing alcohol?

I'm a bit less enthusiastic about messing with the defective ones, both because I have so many working controllers and because my recent attempt to resurrect some of my NES controllers by opening them up and cleaning them was unsuccessful.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 04:07:32 pm by KenToad »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2018, 05:57:38 pm »
Okay, I just tested Super Bomberman with the retro receiver in port 4. It worked.

Hopefully, 8bitdo fixed the problem with the latest firmware. Yeah, I would imagine that they might conveniently neglect to mention fixing something that was already listed as a feature.

Assuming this works, I wonder if you can use 5 SNES retro receivers at once? The Super Multitap isn't as good of a controller extension as the Four Score.
Yeah, if they fixed it this firmware, I'd be a happy puppy.

Testing it with one retro receiver is kinda disingenuous to come to a conclusion, though. I'll get my receivers updated to the latest firmware this weekend and try all 4 at once again.

Hmm, I have another sort of difficult decision to make. I have 8 SNES controllers. Of those, 4 are flawless. 2 are nearly perfect, just slightly mushy d-pads, 1 with a non-functioning start button and another that has a wonky d-pad (right doesn't register unless you press firmly).

What would you guys do? I was leaning toward harvesting the best of the lot, but now I'm thinking I might as well open up the 2 defective controllers, just might need a bit of cleaning.
I would first try to clean the contacts on the PCB's, it could have dirt/grime buildup and not making a closed circuit when activated.  Second, order replacement silicone pads for your mushy pads. I like going to Console5 for my replacement parts, but they can be found elsewhere.

Or, you could convert your non-working controllers with the 8bitdo's bluetooth boards. That's if you were going to buy more anyway.  But I'd definitely get the replacement silicon pads regardless.

Has anyone had any luck with fixing SNES controllers? Was it just a matter of cleaning the contact surfaces with rubbing alcohol?

I'm a bit less enthusiastic about messing with the defective ones, both because I have so many working controllers and because my recent attempt to resurrect some of my NES controllers by opening them up and cleaning them was unsuccessful.
Contact cleaning is the easiest attempt.

If it's a problem with any of the components, it depends on how you value your time. It might not be worth tracking down the failed parts and replacing/soldering components (the boards have fairly simple circuitry) if time=money. But if you wanted to have a little repair-work fun, and already have components to swap in, go for it.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2018, 06:43:28 pm »
Thanks for the link and the advice!

I'll look forward to hearing about your results with multiple receivers.

I fixed my controller that had a broken start button by swapping in the mod kit. I also cleaned it, but it wasn't very dirty.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:54:57 pm by KenToad »

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2018, 10:40:34 pm »
I placed an order yesterday for the DIY kits to modify the Genesis, NES Classic, and SNES Classic controllers. Hopefully the shipping isn't delayed too much. The Genesis kit had been out of stock when I first tried to place my order. The time I tried before that, one of the other kits was out. I guess these things must be selling fairly well. I'm not sure why Amazon doesn't stock them. Would be way more convenient...

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2018, 11:45:44 pm »
Yeah, I want at least one more SNES kit. If it was Amazon, I would already have placed an order, but the $18 "Delivery Fee" kills my enthusiasm.

I guess it's at least better than having shipping take a month on the slow boat.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2018, 11:41:57 am »
Yeah, I want at least one more SNES kit. If it was Amazon, I would already have placed an order, but the $18 "Delivery Fee" kills my enthusiasm.

I guess it's at least better than having shipping take a month on the slow boat.

The shipping is pretty steep. That's definitely the reason I wanted to order all three kits at the same time. DHL global is pretty reliable and fast, so I suppose it is better than snail mail. It would suck to lose such an expensive package.  :(

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2018, 03:37:33 pm »
Well, my plan to have a unified way to play emulated games with a variety of controllers has suffered a setback. Retroarch, at least, sees each Retro Receiver as it's own numbered entity, based upon the order that they were plugged in, which will undoubtedly randomize with every reboot of the PC.

I was really hoping that Xbox 360 controller #1 would always be seen as such in a generic way by Windows.

My dream was to have all the controllers attached via usb as 360 controllers. That way, whatever controller I activated first would be seen as controller #1 by the emulator/Retroarch and Windows. Then, it would be a snap to use any controller with any system, as they would all have the same mapping. Has anyone dealt with this problem before and maybe found a better solution?

Another issue is that the retro receivers sometimes treat directional pads as analog Joysticks and other times as POV hats (depending upon whether the controller has an analog joystick), which makes mapping an additional chore. According to the instructions for the diy PCB kits, you can switch button mappings to make the d-pads act like joysticks or d-pads, but, so far, it doesn't work. The NES DIY kit states that the remapping must be done "before anything is connected," but again, not true.

I haven't seen firmware updates for these DIY kits, but I probably need to crack them open again to connect them properly to the PC and use the 8bitdo firmware updater. Of course, I have no idea whether or not there is an update that will fix the problem. What a pain.

Any updates on functionality with your 3-4 player receivers, opt2not?

*Edit* The d-pad/joystick mode switching only works in wired mode, at least for the genesis controller kit. And, I have the correct firmware.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:02:43 pm by KenToad »