Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Retropie 3.5mm audio  (Read 3542 times)

ajmartin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2018, 08:00:50 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Retropie 3.5mm audio
« on: July 18, 2018, 10:32:55 am »
Hello,

I set the sound in raspiconfig to 3.5 and it works fine until the system is rebooted then it returns to AUTO . I have to go in and change it every time. How can I make this permanent.

Thanks,

Alan

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Retropie 3.5mm audio
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 11:20:40 am »
Can you make the file read only?

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
Re: Retropie 3.5mm audio
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 01:48:30 pm »
SOunds like you are not saving the changes you are making to the file -- so either the file is already set to read only and is not writting the changes to disk or you need to make sure you are saving the changes before you exit -- SInce you say the changes work until you exit and then do not load on the next time it would mean the file saved to the disk does not have the changes saved to it and they are only being changed in memory.

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 09:56:27 pm »
side note I didn't get to this stage yet of my Rpi3b+ what are you guys doing for audio out from the Rpi3b+, any one sell super cheap 3.5mm audio with 6ft-12ft +/- so I can splice it and solder it into my speaker when the time comes. I don't anticipate on adding a sub likely just a single 6x9 speaker.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

ajmartin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 02:59:08 pm »
This is a new install of retropie 4.4 . The audio change is made in the raspiconfig  menu. It is not read only, it successfully stored my wifi info and my  IP address. I dont want to make it read only because there are lots of time you need to change something in the config.  I think there is some where I can edit a line but I am not sure. 

Thanks,

Alan

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 05:22:58 pm »
side note I didn't get to this stage yet of my Rpi3b+ what are you guys doing for audio out from the Rpi3b+, any one sell super cheap 3.5mm audio with 6ft-12ft +/- so I can splice it and solder it into my speaker when the time comes. I don't anticipate on adding a sub likely just a single 6x9 speaker.

Look on ebay or amazon.
That jack will not power the speakers directly, you will need to use an amplifier to step up the current.
I think the simplest way is to buy a cheapm set of pc speakers and use the insides.
You will have the cable, jack amp, and speakers. Im not 100% sure that a regular audio cable will work in the RPi jack because that jack also has a connection for video.
You can also get a cheap USB sound card, I think it sounds much better than the 3.5 mm jack on the RPi.

ajmartin: can you post your config.txt file?

ajmartin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 07:23:43 pm »
Ok, STUPID ME.  I was focused on the raspi-config  because I had successfully made permanent changes there.  When I set the audio to the 3.1mm jack it worked perfect LOUD and clear on my speakers. It was only on reboot I had a problem.  Setting it again made it work for that session.  After beating my head against the wall for a while , I just went back for a fresh   look. The first setting in the list at the retropie screen  is labeled AUDIO. I set it there and now it is permanent.  On to the next problem and that will be a post soon if I don't figure it out.

Thanks,

Alan