Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Getting rid of that text / terminal text when launching a rom from Attract Mode  (Read 6038 times)

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
Any one know how to get rid of the terminal text on the top that pops up when launching a rom ? It's extremely brief & only displays for maybe 1 second but ideally I want it gone. Sometimes it shows a mini paragraph more text than this example, sometimes it doesn't show anything if I relaunch the game etc... Any ideas on removing that terminal white text when launching a rom with Attract Mode ? :dunno

Example:
I launched a game text appears just prior to loading the game:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:07:48 am by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
is it within retroarch ? guessing it's this: mame2003-skip-rom-verify = "disabled" / if I switch it to enabled will that get rid of that text ? I don't want to start messing with config files until someone can verify.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Marcoqwerty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 02:46:08 pm
Do you tried with custom loading image? are easy to do and maybe it helps to hide the terminal

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/runcommand#adding-custom-launching-images

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
looks like it says:

failed to get vendor id of joystick /dev/input/js0
failed to get product id of joystick /dev/input/js0
[can't make out this garbage]

underneath that says something like :
working directory: /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand

2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Go into the retroarch settings then on screen settings, turn off on screen notifications.
Save and exit.

That should be it.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Do you tried with custom loading image? are easy to do and maybe it helps to hide the terminal

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/runcommand#adding-custom-launching-images

Cool idea, but I didn't want to supplement it for something else rather get rid of it completely seems like popup ads redundant stuff lol not looking to do that, certainly didn't know about it & neat none the less... My Pi's are going in cabinets etc although like a brain washing polybius it would be great for me to inject an advertisement, DRINK YOO-HOO. However as an end user i'd be pissed to see that pop up every time I launched a game. Incorporating a logo / video intro when turning on the machine that's a different story.

Go into the retroarch settings then on screen settings, turn off on screen notifications.
Save and exit.

That should be it.

That's not it as it was already OFF. Still hasn't been resolved, any one else chime in ?
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
Is this the arpicade? Just edit the launcher script and add “clear” command before and after. You may still see something but it won’t be for very long.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Is this the arpicade? Just edit the launcher script and add “clear” command before and after. You may still see something but it won’t be for very long.

No as of now I'm using "Attract Mode" as a front end on the Raspberry Pi3b+ doing all of my testing outside of the cabinet not utilizing an ArPicade.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
***EDIT***

Finally FIXED this particular issue ! Using this thread on the Attract Mode Forums:

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1642.0

You need to replace what is in the autostart.sh script found in /opt/retropie/configs/all with

setterm -cursor off
stty -echo
clear
attract 2>&1 | grep -o $'\033\[2J'

You can just make sure that a # is in front of all the existing lines in you would rather save it in case you need to revert back.

Thank you need to make two text files one called runcommand-onstart and one called runcommand-onend.  They both need to contain printf "\033[H\033[2J"
Once you created them, rename them to add the .sh to the end and then upload them into the /opt/retropie/configs/all folder.

This can all be done via WinSCP but you can also do it via command line if you want
Pics of what I did to resolve:

My autostart.sh found within (opt/retropie/configs/all) picture below:

I created a .txt file as stated naming it  "runcommand-onstart" which contains:

Here is the other file named "runcommand-onend":

changed both of the documents / file type to .sh & placed them all in their respective folder using  WinSCP:

****MAKE SURE YOU RESTART / REBOOT To see it resolved... You must reboot / restart shutdown the pi etc and power up again etc.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Marcoqwerty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 02:46:08 pm
Thank you to share it!  :notworthy: