Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: FFB Arcade Plugin  (Read 291148 times)

matamian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2023, 03:23:47 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: FFB Arcade Plugin
« Reply #920 on: September 14, 2022, 10:50:08 pm »
Hey guys, I know this issue has been brought up before but I don't remember what I did to fix it a while back.

I just updated to the newest version of FFB plugin. I replaced my old plugin files in my mame folder and everything works great when launched from the mame UI. Unfortunately when I try to run anything mame related from my bigbox/launchbox frontend, the force feedback doesn't work. It worked perfectly prior to me updating to the newest plugin. Other emulators like model 2 and supermodel work fine when booted through bigbox/launchbox.

I know I ran into this issue once before but I have no idea what I did to correct it. Nothing within my mame folder was changed aside from replacing the old plugin files with the new ones. I didn't change the ini or anything. It was working perfectly just a few hours ago before I did this.

Anyone have any insight on what could be the issue?

holmes

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 05:42:06 pm
« Reply #921 on: September 15, 2022, 12:27:14 am »
FFB plugin relies on the ROM name to detect the game. These names change with Mame ROM sets. Is your rom set a recent one? It may be the source of your problem.

holmes

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 05:42:06 pm
« Reply #922 on: September 15, 2022, 12:39:24 am »
[quote author=Super-Becker l
Native FFB option continues in current ini file, can also be activated by app UI. As far as I know "xinput" refers to an official Microsoft Joystick, maybe that's why it didn't work for me when I changed these values. I will add it manually as soon as possible and test it, although I doubt it will work with a Logitech or Thrustmaster wheel as they are classified as "dinput".
[/quote]
I have not tested this in recent years. However the principle was to select the API corresponding to your control (SDL, xinput or dinput) through a command line option or in the conf file and to use the command from the correct API. So there should be also commands such as DinputconstForceMax and SdlconstforceMax. In the example I gave a few posts ago, just replace the xinput words by dinput.

matamian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #923 on: September 15, 2022, 05:49:12 am »
FFB plugin relies on the ROM name to detect the game. These names change with Mame ROM sets. Is your rom set a recent one? It may be the source of your problem.

Its an older set from what i remember from my initial setup. I've had it set up since back in February. It still works perfectly as long as I use the mame UI to launch the game. The issue is that nothing has force feedback when I launch anything in mame through bigbox or launchbox.

Launching through bigbox and launchbox with ffb worked perfectly fine for me up until last night. I decided to update to the latest version of ffb plugin, dropped it in my mame folder and replaced the old version. Now when I use my frontend to boot anything in mame, I get no ffb at all. I boot from mame ui and I get ffb. That only thing that I changed was the version of ffb plugin.

I do remember running into this issue back in February. I fixed it but I totally forgot what did the trick, it's been a while lol.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #924 on: September 15, 2022, 06:40:45 am »
What Holmes is saying is that the FFB plugin relies on the rom names. If mame changes those, or even changes them somewhere in it's lookup tables without changing the zipfile name, the FFB plugin needs to change along with it. So if you're using an older romset, and the names have changed, along with a newer version of the FFB plugin, it won't work. Happened with supermodel a while back, and for sure it must have happened with MAME too at some point.

matamian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #925 on: September 15, 2022, 08:36:48 am »
What Holmes is saying is that the FFB plugin relies on the rom names. If mame changes those, or even changes them somewhere in it's lookup tables without changing the zipfile name, the FFB plugin needs to change along with it. So if you're using an older romset, and the names have changed, along with a newer version of the FFB plugin, it won't work. Happened with supermodel a while back, and for sure it must have happened with MAME too at some point.

I'll look into the names but if that was the problem wouldn't it not work at all? As of now it all works flawlessly when I run from mames interface.

I'll download some roms from a newer romset to go with the new release to see if that works out. 

matamian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #926 on: September 15, 2022, 09:19:12 am »
Another question, sorry and I greatly appreciate the help.

Should I go ahead and get the latest version of mame along with the latest romset and do a fresh install with the latest ffb plugin? Is there a particular version of mame that the plugin will work best with?

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #927 on: September 15, 2022, 06:26:20 pm »
It should all be up to date, there shouldn't be any problems. In practice there are always hurdles, but that's the hobby :)

I have had a similar problem with the FFB plugin with Flycast ID3:
[I couldn't] use a batfile. Weird one, but FFB fails for me that way... [Had to] create a shortcut with the “c:\path\to\flycast\flycast.exe C:\path\to\flycast\roms\initdv3e.zip” line as the target... [Could] then load the shortcut from a batfile and it works fine. Must be something to do with how the arguments are being passed?

Can't remember if i had to have everything load as admin, but i recon try that first, then try something like the quote above.

matamian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #928 on: September 15, 2022, 10:23:53 pm »
It should all be up to date, there shouldn't be any problems. In practice there are always hurdles, but that's the hobby :)

[I couldn't] use a batfile. Weird one, but FFB fails for me that way... [Had to] create a shortcut with the “c:\path\to\flycast\flycast.exe C:\path\to\flycast\roms\initdv3e.zip” line as the target... [Could] then load the shortcut from a batfile and it works fine. Must be something to do with how the arguments are being passed?

Can't remember if i had to have everything load as admin, but i recon try that first, then try something like the quote above.

Did a fresh install of the latest mame, new rom set and new ffb plugin. Everything is working now with bigbox. Thank you!

Quick question.  Is there a way to apply the force spring setting to games that don't have force feedback? Like ridge racer and etc.

matamian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #929 on: September 27, 2022, 03:29:07 pm »
Hey guys, back with another question. Really tried to figure it out on my own.

FFB plugin with outrun 2 in teknoparrot. I cannot get FFB working at all. I put the FFB plugin in the "jennifer" folder and set it up as I usually do but I get no FFB. I read in setup help to copy the opengl32.dll and sdl2.dll files from the plugin into the teknoparrot subfolder (also called teknoparrot) A lot of people said this worked for them. My issue is that when I do put the opengl32.dll in that folder, outrun 2 will no longer boot. Once I remove the file it boots without issue.

Visual runtime is also up to date.

Anyone have any advice regarding this?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 03:45:21 pm by matamian »

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #930 on: September 28, 2022, 01:46:26 am »
Hey guys, back with another question. Really tried to figure it out on my own.

FFB plugin with outrun 2 in teknoparrot. I cannot get FFB working at all. I put the FFB plugin in the "jennifer" folder and set it up as I usually do but I get no FFB. I read in setup help to copy the opengl32.dll and sdl2.dll files from the plugin into the teknoparrot subfolder (also called teknoparrot) A lot of people said this worked for them. My issue is that when I do put the opengl32.dll in that folder, outrun 2 will no longer boot. Once I remove the file it boots without issue.

Visual runtime is also up to date.

Anyone have any advice regarding this?

rename opengl32.dll to winmm.dll and try

matamian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #931 on: September 28, 2022, 08:26:11 am »
That did the trick. Thank you for all your hard work. Amazing plugin.

connormmii

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 16, 2023, 01:08:37 am
« Reply #932 on: October 19, 2022, 08:20:54 pm »

Did a fresh install of the latest mame, new rom set and new ffb plugin. Everything is working now with bigbox. Thank you!

Quick question.  Is there a way to apply the force spring setting to games that don't have force feedback? Like ridge racer and etc.

I use Logitech game profiler to set the spring strength then make sure the check box that says "ALLOW GAME TO CHANGE SETTINGS" is ticked as this then allows MAME to override the Logitech settings if FFB is enable for the particular game. I used it predominantly for World Rally 1 & 2 as I prefer the stronger spring setting in that game but use it for the SF Rush games as the FFB plugin does not work for me in those games as the wheel jerks far too much regardless of settings in the plugin (Wasted 3 hours last night trying to get it to work but couldn't)

anchounio

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 04:24:10 pm
« Reply #933 on: October 22, 2022, 02:39:45 am »
According to a recent discovery in mame testers, the game Hot Chase had wheel FFB. It can be activated in the dip settings.
https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=8460

Any chance to make it work through FFB plugin?

a5608498

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 12:13:43 pm
« Reply #934 on: November 12, 2022, 10:02:51 pm »
Hi, any chance to make the mame plugin works on retroarch mame core?

And Im using wiimote for some gun games. Transformers is way too hard on rumble and lowering level does nothing on wiimote.

Alien extermination has a much better implementation, not constant rumble, just a little paused. Any way to have the same kind of rumble on transformers?

And lastly will be great to have ffb support on hotd scarlett dawn.

Thanks for this plugin  :applaud:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 10:04:54 pm by a5608498 »

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #935 on: November 19, 2022, 02:15:01 am »
According to a recent discovery in mame testers, the game Hot Chase had wheel FFB. It can be activated in the dip settings.

Sorry for delay in answering,I took a look but no they haven't added the motor outputs to mame at all even after enabling  :(

I also made a new FFB Plugin Release couple days ago

https://github.com/Boomslangnz/FFBArcadePlugin/releases

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:30:55 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #936 on: November 24, 2022, 03:52:50 pm »
My original FFB tutorial got taken down because of a bollocks DMCA copyright claim from Bandai ---smurfing--- Namco Japan, because of 2 minutes of Wangan Midnight footage I used right at the end of it. I've contested it, but I don't think I'm ever getting this vide back (F'n annoying as it'd just got past 10,000 views), so I've made a new version. If you used my original video to help get the FFB plugin setup, could you please do me a solid one by leaving a comment or a like on this new version to try and help it gain a bit of traction with the YT algorhythm gods. If you do and we ever meet in person I'll buy you a beer! Cheers  :cheers:

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #937 on: November 25, 2022, 06:17:23 am »
Great vid! Yeah youtube is just all kinds of fuckery now a days. Pure totalitarianism censorship going on there. Its getting out of hand  :badmood: :banghead: :soapbox:

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #938 on: November 25, 2022, 11:21:14 am »
Yeah, it's just friggin' ridiculous. If I contest it, the person that's claimed the content has to provide proof they're taking legal action against the alleged copyright infringer (i.e. me) within 10 days or the content should be restored and the strike removed. This clearly hasn't happened, but YouTube are just keeping my old video tied up in this ongoing copyright claim limbo, and not responding to any of my emails, because I'm small fry and Scamco are a big business.

anchounio

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 04:24:10 pm
« Reply #939 on: November 25, 2022, 11:56:39 am »

Sorry for delay in answering,I took a look but no they haven't added the motor outputs to mame at all even after enabling  :(

Thanks for your work :)

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #940 on: November 25, 2022, 06:25:27 pm »
Yeah, it's just friggin' ridiculous. If I contest it, the person that's claimed the content has to provide proof they're taking legal action against the alleged copyright infringer (i.e. me) within 10 days or the content should be restored and the strike removed. This clearly hasn't happened, but YouTube are just keeping my old video tied up in this ongoing copyright claim limbo, and not responding to any of my emails, because I'm small fry and Scamco are a big business.

Oh, hush. You owe me a beer :)

I do feel this issue is a symptom of us moving toward a much less open and less democratic future, sadly. So many tiny reminders.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 06:27:25 pm by buttersoft »

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:27:21 am
« Reply #941 on: November 25, 2022, 10:06:34 pm »

Oh, hush. You owe me a beer :)

I do feel this issue is a symptom of us moving toward a much less open and less democratic future, sadly. So many tiny reminders.

This is all true, and ultimately where we are headed. On the other hand, just imagine if Elon Musk owned YT - there would be no real content moderation at all, because he'd rationalise that he owes a lot of people a lot of money, and it is too expensive to employ people to do that stuff.
Check out my completed projects!

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #942 on: November 29, 2022, 02:35:35 pm »
Sorted!

sushko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 08:10:03 pm
« Reply #943 on: December 03, 2022, 10:42:16 pm »
Hi I hope this is not bad thing to ask but can someone add support for Chase H.Q. I just installed FFB and love it. I love Chace HQ and would really appreciate some FFB. Thanks for the awesome work.

RFSViera

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2022, 06:46:21 am
« Reply #944 on: December 05, 2022, 07:53:34 pm »
i have G923, add files to right folders, add wheel to FF setup, FF Test Sine works,  wen enter in game nothing happens, any idea?
Im testing in daytona and SR3
Read from a guy disconnect usb sound and worked, but not for me, i tryed disconnect LGHUB but no lucky to.

updating this strange thing , i jump and start testing in MAME, out run and outrunners start with hard wheel, after get out track touch grain wheel soft and all works, if i try F1,  as Tekno nothing happens and hard wheel, its to heavy to drive
Tks
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 06:46:21 am by RFSViera »

jayc001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2023, 06:14:55 am
« Reply #945 on: December 07, 2022, 07:02:32 am »
Does anyone have any advice of FFB not working on Logitech G920 wheels when changing between games? I have a cabinet set up running Bigbox FE and when changing between games (most Teknoparrot and Supermodel) the FFB stops working and the wheel loses it's self centering. Sometimes it's OK but more ften than not a game change screws it.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 07:31:38 am
« Reply #946 on: December 07, 2022, 09:15:37 am »
Every time you change the game you have to restart the emulator. The problem will disappear.

patrickfx1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 11:38:48 am
« Reply #947 on: December 07, 2022, 10:10:34 pm »
Anyone can explain me the FFB OPTION in some game where we see LEFT and RIGHT MIN and MAX FORCE.
Is that mean would like to have a difffent force feedback depending you turn left versus right ? Sound odd a little !

Example in game OFF ROAD CHALLENGE.  Got some difficulty to get the FFB correct.

As a bonus question.  Any feeds somewhere where it summarize some default setting for all (or some game) ?  The exercice of try, exit, retry, exit, exit... is tedious.  Please don't tell me it is part of the fun. I give enough :) Or maybe detailed explaination of options. would help.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 10:12:41 pm by patrickfx1 »

waldo34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2023, 12:40:43 pm
« Reply #948 on: December 14, 2022, 03:14:01 pm »
Every time you change the game you have to restart the emulator. The problem will disappear.

With that in mind as I start a multi cabinet build is there a recommended front end to use to ensure the restart of the emulator?

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 07:31:38 am
« Reply #949 on: December 14, 2022, 08:11:45 pm »
Anyone can explain me the FFB OPTION in some game where we see LEFT and RIGHT MIN and MAX FORCE.
Is that mean would like to have a difffent force feedback depending you turn left versus right ? Sound odd a little !

Example in game OFF ROAD CHALLENGE.  Got some difficulty to get the FFB correct.

As a bonus question.  Any feeds somewhere where it summarize some default setting for all (or some game) ?  The exercice of try, exit, retry, exit, exit... is tedious.  Please don't tell me it is part of the fun. I give enough :) Or maybe detailed explaination of options. would help.

The same strength values chosen in "FFBPluginGUI" may be different depending on which steering wheel you use. In G29 for example most (not all) games use Max Force = 40. In Thustmaster T300 the values are always above that, around 60.

hawkeyez88

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2022, 10:16:29 pm
« Reply #950 on: December 29, 2022, 10:17:23 pm »
Are there any logs to look at? Using the G920 after 10 or so minutes FFB goes away and my wheel goes limp. Tried in Batman TP and Outrun TP and Mario TP. Restarting the machine brings everything back to normal, for around 10 minutes.

jmne

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2023, 03:24:20 pm
« Reply #951 on: January 04, 2023, 11:55:43 am »
I cant get this to work with my G29, i've tried LGHUB and LGS but i keep getting the 'warning:controller does not support' message in the FFB test. It recognizes and rumbles my DS3 controller. Any ideas?

EDIT: So i did a complete wipe of program and drivers re-installed the latest LGHUB tried the latest 2.x FFB version still nothing, tried 1.17a and that version is working in FFB test.

Had a quick try of Sega Rally 3 TP and was working but car was reversing whilst not pressing accelerator.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 04:57:29 pm by jmne »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #952 on: January 04, 2023, 05:18:07 pm »
Had a quick try of Sega Rally 3 TP and was working but car was reversing whilst not pressing accelerator.

Can't speak as to the rest, but that SR3 prob is often to do with the pedals being pressed while the game loads, which sort of inverts the axes. If you genuinely aren't pressing the pedals, you can change the settings for steering, accel and brake in one of the files under c:\SR3\sega\ShellData\. The axes go from 0-255, and might need a little threshold at each end if your pedals don't quite make it all the way (esp the lower end, in this case). You can see the numbers on the windows joystick screens, from memory.

As in, if your axis is set to read 0-255 in the game, but your pedals run 11-239 in raw numbers (because calibration is never perfect), you want to set the game to read 20-226 or thereabouts. That means when the pedal gets to 225 the game is giving full throttle. And at lower than 20 the game sees no input.

EDIT: unless the pedals have inverted themselves somewhere, in which case just tell TP to reverse them :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 05:09:50 pm by buttersoft »

jmne

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2023, 03:24:20 pm
« Reply #953 on: January 06, 2023, 12:07:40 pm »

Can't speak as to the rest, but that SR3 prob is often to do with the pedals being pressed while the game loads, which sort of inverts the axes. If you genuinely aren't pressing the pedals, you can change the settings for steering, accel and brake in one of the files under c:\SR3\sega\ShellData\. The axes go from 0-255, and might need a little threshold at each end if your pedals don't quite make it all the way (esp the lower end, in this case). You can see the numbers on the windows joystick screens, from memory.

As in, if your axis is set to read 0-255 in the game, but your pedals run 11-239 in raw numbers (because calibration is never perfect), you want to set the game to read 20-226 or thereabouts. That means when the pedal gets to 225 the game is giving full throttle. And at lower than 20 the game sees no input.

EDIT: unless the pedals have inverted themselves somewhere, in which case just tell TP to reverse them :)

Thanks for the tips, i was messing with Supermodel and the pedals were reversed there, had to change them to 'NEG' in the INI. (the auto-config doesnt always work). Will have another go ar SR3 later.

karoloydi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2024, 02:24:14 pm
« Reply #954 on: January 18, 2023, 01:53:53 am »
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem with Flycast. As soon as I put the ffb plugin files in the Flycast directory, my gamepad controls do not work. If I remove them, they come back. I haven't solved the issue yet.

Same here. I am using xbox360 controller. As soon as I copy the files in the flycast folder, the controller stops working. Same with my G920 wheel.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 07:10:47 pm
« Reply #955 on: January 23, 2023, 05:14:21 pm »

This is an awesome plugin. Would you be able to make it work for the custom Mame needed for Rave Racer linked play shown here? I validated I can get ffb with regular Mame and Rave Racer through the service menu but the same steps do not work with the custom Mame exe he has. 

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,165638.0.html

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #956 on: January 24, 2023, 03:04:13 am »
Hi

I just took a look and it works perfectly fine here. Copied FFBPlugin MAME64 files to folder, ensured MAME.ini had

#
# OSD OUTPUT OPTIONS
#
output                    windows

and then enabled Steering Feedback in test menu and had working Force Feedback  ;D

I also did a bat file which was just

start /b jb_build64.exe raveracw -w -joystick_deadzone 0 -nvram_directory nvram1

Hope that helps

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #957 on: January 25, 2023, 04:05:21 pm »
Hi

I just took a look and it works perfectly fine here. Copied FFBPlugin MAME64 files to folder, ensured MAME.ini had

#
# OSD OUTPUT OPTIONS
#
output                    windows

and then enabled Steering Feedback in test menu and had working Force Feedback  ;D

I also did a bat file which was just

start /b jb_build64.exe raveracw -w -joystick_deadzone 0 -nvram_directory nvram1

Hope that helps

Hmm so you are right with 1 player mode. I was able to get ffb to work when creating a .bat file with your code. However, when running the two player linked mode code below that is in a bat file, it has no FFB for either player even though its the same folders (besides cfg2 and nvram2 for 2nd player) and even with the service menu ffb enabled via the dip switch and cleanly exited with tab. Any idea why that would be?

--The 2 player code with no FFB
start /b jb_build64.exe raveracw -w -cfg_directory cfg -nvram_directory nvram1 -comm_localport 15111 -comm_remoteport 15112 -comm_localhost 0.0.0.0 -comm_remotehost 127.0.0.1
start /b jb_build64.exe raveracw -w -cfg_directory cfg2 -nvram_directory nvram2 -comm_localport 15112 -comm_remoteport 15111 -comm_localhost 0.0.0.0 -comm_remotehost 127.0.0.1

--Your 1 player code that works with FFB

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #958 on: January 26, 2023, 02:37:42 am »
I can't really help without either trying to setup my own lan or remote desktop in and find solution that way

Since Rave Racer doesn't support FFB Outputs, I have to perform a pattern scan on bootup to find the FFB address.

Perhaps when playing LAN the pattern changes a little, enough so there is no match

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #959 on: January 26, 2023, 08:40:20 am »
I can't really help without either trying to setup my own lan or remote desktop in and find solution that way

Since Rave Racer doesn't support FFB Outputs, I have to perform a pattern scan on bootup to find the FFB address.

Perhaps when playing LAN the pattern changes a little, enough so there is no match
Understood. Just to clarify, if you put that code in a single bat file and use it on the Rave Racer custom Mame folder, it will work on the same pc without any config at all. All the folders and everything already exist. You just have to hit enter to enter both games and the game speeds up after hitting enter on both. I have not yet tried separate PCs. Is there a tool you used to look for the addresses? Not sure I will be able to research my way to a solution with that info or not but at least as a quick start.