Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Outrun 2006  (Read 359366 times)

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Hacking Outrun 2006
« Reply #1160 on: March 21, 2022, 06:24:54 am »
Hey, pretty cool. May i ask where this is going? Higher res 2d or 3d assets/textures? Customising?

Frogbull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2022, 08:26:16 am
  • DAYYYYYYYYTONA!!!
« Reply #1161 on: March 21, 2022, 01:11:57 pm »
Hey, pretty cool. May i ask where this is going? Higher res 2d or 3d assets/textures? Customising?
Not precise, I like Modding for Modding so everything that can be done is great, the best exemple is what Howard_Casto did with OutRun 2006 and his Tracks Editor :notworthy:

Maybe AI Upscaling some Textures, export/import Xbox 360/PS3 HD textures into SP DX could also be cool for a better rendering :D
Now, if the goal is to go crazy, export/import 3D model will be a dream (get OutRun 2006 exclusive cars) and the best will be to be able to import the 80s symbol: a Lamborghini Countach :afro:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 01:17:17 pm by Frogbull »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #1162 on: March 21, 2022, 06:32:12 pm »
OMG i must have blanked on that. A track editor / randomiser for the arcade version would be fricking awesome!

Frogbull

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2022, 08:26:16 am
  • DAYYYYYYYYTONA!!!
« Reply #1163 on: April 05, 2022, 08:09:16 am »
I managed to extract and convert more data from OutRun 2 SP SDX

Here some verts (with a lot of garbage noise) on Blender of the F40 3D Model :droid
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:12:52 am by Frogbull »

SegaFan22

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 04:57:43 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #1164 on: June 06, 2022, 09:29:46 am »
I think I've found more details on the missing backfire issue: it's a bug linked to the controls. If you play using the keyboard defaults the flames are still there when upshifting (Win 10 latest version, both original and FXT content). As soon as you switch to a controller (I'm using an Xbox 360 wireless joypad) they disappear.

Basically, the flames aren't shown on screen when the player is using anything other than a keyboard. You can even try playing with the keyboard, then switching to the controller, and see that they are "disabled" by the external device and come back when you accelerate with arrows.

Crazy, but it's probably a bug not even the devs knew existed. I don't know if it can be solved by "mixing" the control configs or in any other way, I just wanted to share this information.

EDIT
after playing a little more with the controls configuration, I'm 99% sure it's a Direct Input bug. If you assign the accelerator and brake to any face buttons (or if you play with the keyboard), the backfire/flame animation shows up when upshifting. Since Direct Input doesn't see the left and right triggers (or pedals) as two different axis, using them screws up the game's logic.

I don't think there's any solution unless someone's able to swap Direct Input for Xinput in the game controls but that would mean hacking the game code itself  :-\

EDIT 2
I found a workaround using Xinput Plus: swap controls between buttons and triggers. You get the flames but you lose analog input - not that I really care but hey...

« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 01:42:22 am by SegaFan22 »

Jbulleit97

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 12:32:16 pm
« Reply #1165 on: May 21, 2023, 12:29:00 pm »
Got an issue with running OR2:FXT. Whenever I try to start the game now, this error message keeps popping up. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to these things, and it's been over 2 years since I installed the game, so I could really use a hand.

SegaFan22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1166 on: May 27, 2023, 04:24:54 am »
Got an issue with running OR2:FXT. Whenever I try to start the game now, this error message keeps popping up. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to these things, and it's been over 2 years since I installed the game, so I could really use a hand.

Happens to me when I choose an unsupported resolution for the current display I'm using. Ex: FullHD on a old laptop that doesn't reach it. Try lowering its setting in the FXTconfig program. Or change something else in there.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #1167 on: June 14, 2023, 07:19:03 pm »
Hey Howard - the latest issue of Retro Gamer magazine here in the UK has done a big feature on OutRun 2 for it's twentieth anniversary, and you get a mention in it!

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1168 on: June 14, 2023, 07:53:10 pm »
Hey Howard - the latest issue of Retro Gamer magazine here in the UK has done a big feature on OutRun 2 for it's twentieth anniversary, and you get a mention in it!

WOW that rocks!! Yeah we haven't seen Howard around here lately. Howard I hope you're feeling OK brother. I know you've mentioned some health issues in the past so hopefully you're feeling OK dude.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #1169 on: June 15, 2023, 09:00:12 pm »
I'm fine.   My new job keeps me busy is all.   I'm still lurking I just don't comment as much as I used to. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1170 on: June 15, 2023, 11:53:06 pm »
I'm fine.   My new job keeps me busy is all.   I'm still lurking I just don't comment as much as I used to.
:cheers:

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1171 on: June 16, 2023, 04:08:05 am »
Glad to hear you're OK Howard, your absence around these parts was conspicuous.

brad86

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2023, 06:53:01 pm
« Reply #1172 on: June 23, 2023, 10:56:14 am »
Hi guys. Lost my old login details (been many years), so signed up again.

Whilst messing with the game, did any of you talented folk by any chance find a way of extracting the .PS2 file format from the later Japanese PS2 OR2SP port ?
It seems every single port other than this version (including arcade Lindberg) does not loop audio at the right points, and the cut-off before restarting the track is really amateurish sounding. Not something you expect with such an otherwise polished game.
I want to replace these with the extracted fixed versions from OR2SP PS2, for use on Lindberg via Teknoparrot, and FXT on PC.
I've looked around the web on old sites, and then for a bms script, but haven't found anything, sadly.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 10:58:22 am by brad86 »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1173 on: August 26, 2023, 05:56:02 am »
I got to play on an Outrun 2 SP cabinet for the first ever time last weekend, at a new arcade bar that's just recently opened up in the centre of my home city. I was quite surprised to find out that the arcade version of OR2SP had a couple of extra features compared to the home versions, that I was previously unaware of, like the ability to play a special versus track, which mixes and matches some of the regular Outrun 2 courses with some of the ones from SP in a slightly different order. There's also some small animated representations of your cars in the top right of the screen that react to your position in a versus game. Also, your girlfriend Clarissa pops up from time-to-time at the bottom of the screen with little comments about how you're driving and what route you're taking, something that doesn't happen in the home version. Interesting that I'm still finding out new stuff about this game, all these years later....

« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 06:20:50 am by MrThunderwing »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1174 on: August 27, 2023, 08:26:01 pm »
I got to play on an Outrun 2 SP cabinet for the first ever time last weekend, at a new arcade bar that's just recently opened up in the centre of my home city. I was quite surprised to find out that the arcade version of OR2SP had a couple of extra features compared to the home versions, that I was previously unaware of, like the ability to play a special versus track, which mixes and matches some of the regular Outrun 2 courses with some of the ones from SP in a slightly different order. There's also some small animated representations of your cars in the top right of the screen that react to your position in a versus game. Also, your girlfriend Clarissa pops up from time-to-time at the bottom of the screen with little comments about how you're driving and what route you're taking, something that doesn't happen in the home version. Interesting that I'm still finding out new stuff about this game, all these years later....

That's awesome. Didn't know about those details. Another detail I'm not sure you're aware of, is that after playing a race, if you want to play another race you can press brake, view and shift together and it will put you right back in the race with the exact same configuration you had before. Pretty cool.

By the way I was playing a bunch yesterday and put up some new high scores on the continuous track via TP so if anyone wants to challenge my time/score go for it :)

Man what wouldn't give to have a hack that allowed us to edit the courses FXT style. It would be the best of both versions.

WingMantis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2023, 02:55:41 am
« Reply #1175 on: December 06, 2023, 01:39:37 am »
I managed to extract and convert more data from OutRun 2 SP SDX

Hi, any luck importing other car models into the arcade or OR2K6?

I just got I French copy of 2006 for cheap and was thinking it would be cool if someone modded in cars from other SEGA games like Crazy Taxi or Ryo Hazuki and his motorcycle from All Stars Racing.

SegaFan22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1176 on: December 08, 2023, 02:06:08 am »
it would be cool if someone modded in cars from other SEGA games like Crazy Taxi or Ryo Hazuki and his motorcycle from All Stars Racing.

You can't do that without proper tools and editors, all we have with FXT is the work of a single guy who found out how to modify the game  by himself. In fact, as soon as he stopped updating the mod, the project froze.

polybius22

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:46:28 pm
« Reply #1177 on: March 07, 2024, 11:47:45 pm »
Hopefully more are like me that have used these tools to make an incredible build of what was already a classic racing game, despite never posting here before. I'd like to say thank you to all of you who contributed to enhancing the game so much, particularly Howard.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 03:46:03 am by polybius22 »

SegaFan22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1178 on: March 13, 2024, 02:22:08 am »
Hopefully more are like me that have used these tools to make an incredible build

I suppose this incredible build is secret or private, right?  :P

polybius22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1179 on: March 13, 2024, 04:22:12 pm »
Personally I use the arcade intro video and Howard's overlay with HD HUD. I tweaked some images to remove the extra "REV" letters and flashing red light when driving with manual transmission. I also threw Clarissa's bra back on, except for on the AAA congrats screen, lol. Loading screen is custom and I'm using the normal song list for now. I also use a ShaderGlass application to add scanlines for a sharper look to the game and Xpadder to press "Keyboard Up" while shifting gears in order to see those exhaust flames.

SegaFan22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1180 on: March 14, 2024, 09:17:00 am »
Personally I use the arcade intro video [...]

Well those are just simple tweaks, there's nothing "incredible" there. I thought you had updated the mod itself or added new features.

polybius22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1181 on: March 16, 2024, 01:04:49 pm »
It seems you've disappointed yourself by assuming things I never said. My post was just thanking those who have enhanced the game. FXT is the definitive way to play and makes a great game an incredible one tweaked exactly how we want. Whether or not that impresses trolls around here doesn't concern me a whole lot.

SegaFan22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1182 on: March 17, 2024, 04:56:25 am »
It seems you've disappointed yourself by assuming things I never said. My post was just thanking those who have enhanced the game. FXT is the definitive way to play and makes a great game an incredible one tweaked exactly how we want. Whether or not that impresses trolls around here doesn't concern me a whole lot.

So I am a troll now  >:D

I was thinking (hoping) you had updated the mod and wanted to share it. I guess I was wrong and yeah, it's my problem. Sorry for wasting your time.