Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to Install AttractMode on Retropie  (Read 20842 times)

1500points

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
How to Install AttractMode on Retropie
« on: July 14, 2018, 04:16:40 pm »
Making a separate thread since AM on a Pi is quite involved compared to the simplicity of installing AttractMode on a PC setup.
----------------------------

For putting Attractmode on a Retropie image:

Pre-requisites on your Pi:
---It is assumed you have Retropie installed and updated to the latest version
---SSH is enabled
---Wifi is enabled
---Putty is installed on your PC
---Winscp is installed on your PC
---Notepad++ is installed on your PC

1- Install attractmode from Retropie Setup>Manage Packages>Experimental Packages>attractmode found toward bottom of the list

2- You have to connect to the pi with a program called Putty from your computer.
This lets you work from the Pi command prompt at your PC.

2a- Start Putty on your PC,
---In the Host name field, enter the IP address for the Pi (found from retropie menu>show IP)
---Check radio box for SSH
---Hit Login, usercode is pi, password is raspberry
---You will end up at a raspberry pi command prompt, the same as if you hit F4 from the Pi itself.

3- At command prompt:
---type> nano menu.sh <hit enter>
---Copy the text listed below under the "------contents----" section into Notepad++, copy the text directly from notepad++, then right click to paste it into the menu.sh text file.
---Then use ctl-X and Yes to save the file.
---<type> chmod +x menu.sh <hit enter>
---<type> ./menu.sh <hit enter>,
---Putty will get disconnected due to the reboot.

4- Attractmode will now be an entry on the retropie menu.

5- Continue with download of the attractmode layouts found on teh interwebz,

6- Use Winscp to copy the files (Layouts folder) from PC to the Pi.
---In Winscp, go to options>preferences>panels and check the box for show hidden files
---Use Winscp to copy the layout folders you downloaded to the Pi at /home/pi/.attract/layouts

7- From the Retropie menu, select AttractMode to bring you out of emulation station and into attractmode

8- Hit Tab on your Pi keyboard,
---Navigate to Controls
---You can get as complex as you want with the controls for AttractMode (AM) but let's keep it simple
---Map the Back to Escape on the keyboard, optionally you can map it to Start/Select on your joystick.
---Map Up to Up on keyboard and Up on your joystick
---Map Down to Down on keyboard and Down on your joystick
---Map Select to Return on keyboard and Start button on your joystick (this selects the game from the list to start it up)

9- Choose Emulators from the list.
---Navigate to Arcade
---Under flyer, enter /home/pi/.attract/scraper/Arcade/flyer
---Under marquee, enter /home/pi/.attract/scraper/Arcade/marquee
---Under snap, enter /home/pi/.attract/scraper/Arcade/snap
---Under wheel, enter /home/pi/.attract/scraper/Arcade/wheel
---Under Rom paths, enter /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade
---Run Generate Collection/Rom List so attractmode can see your arcade roms that are installed on the Pi
---Run Scrape Artwork so attractmode can go out to internet and get the artwork related to the games you have installed.

10- Navigate to Displays on the attractmode (AM) list.
---Go to Arcade
---Under Layout you can change to whatever AM layouts you copied over to the AM's Layout folder on the Pi earlier.
---I personally like a layout called RoboSpin, Vertical Sphere from Frizz's website.

11- Once you start a game, you aren't really in AM anymore. So go to Tab in a game so you can map UI CANCEL to your Start/Select buttons on joystick. That will let you exit your game back to the AM menu.

-----contents of menu.sh-------
mkdir /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup
cat >> /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/EmulationStation.sh << EOF
clear
echo "Switching default boot system to EmulationStation and rebooting"
echo ""
sed -i 's/attract/emulationstation/g' /opt/retropie/configs/all/autostart.sh
sudo reboot
EOF
cat >> /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/Attract-Mode.sh << EOF
echo "Switching default boot system to Attract-Mode and rebooting"
echo ""
sed -i 's/emulationstation/attract/g' /opt/retropie/configs/all/autostart.sh
sudo reboot
EOF
chmod +x /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/Attract-Mode.sh
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/audiosettings.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Audio Settings.sh"
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/bluetooth.rp >> /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Bluetooth.sh
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/configedit.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Configuration Editor.sh"
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/wifi.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Configure Wifi.sh"
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/filemanager.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/File Manager.sh"
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/raspiconfig.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Raspberry Pie Setup.sh"
echo sudo reboot >> /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Reboot.sh
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/retroarch.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Retroarch Setup.sh"
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/retronetplay.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Retroarch Netplay.sh"
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/rpsetup.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/RetroPie Setup.sh"
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/runcommand.rp >> /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/RunCommand.sh
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/showip.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Show IP Address.sh"
echo sudo poweroff >> /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Shutdown.sh
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/splashscreen.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Splash Screen.sh"
mkdir /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/box
mkdir /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/cart
mkdir /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/box
mkdir /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/marquee
mkdir /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap
mkdir /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/video
mkdir /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/wheel
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/audiosettings.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Audio Settings.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/bluetooth.png /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Bluetooth.png
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/configedit.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Configuration Editor.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/wifi.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Configure Wifi.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/filemanager.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/File Manager.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/raspiconfig.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Raspberry Pie Setup.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/retroarch.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Retroarch Setup.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/retronetplay.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Retroarch Netplay.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/rpsetup.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/RetroPie Setup.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/runcommand.png /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/RunCommand.png
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/showip.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Show IP Address.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/splashscreen.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Splash Screen.png"
chmod +x /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/*.sh
wget http://attractmode.org/images/logo.png
mv logo.png /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/Attract-Mode.png
cat >> /home/pi/.attract/emulators/Setup.cfg << EOF
# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.2.1
#
executable /bin/bash
args "[romfilename]"
rompath /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup
romext .sh
system Setup
artwork box /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/box
artwork cart /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/cart
artwork flyer /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/box
artwork marquee /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/marquee
artwork snap /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/video;/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap
artwork wheel /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/wheel
EOF
sed -i '/\<sound\>/i \display Setup' /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg
sed -i '/\<sound\>/i \ layout Basic' /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg
sed -i '/\<sound\>/i \ romlist Setup' /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg
sed -i '/\<sound\>/i \ in_cycle yes' /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg
sed -i '/\<sound\>/i \ in_menu yes' /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg
sed -i '/\<sound\>/i \ filter all' /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg
sed -i '/\<sound\>/i \ ' /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg
sed -i 's/window_mode default/window_mode fullscreen/g' /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg
attract -b Setup
sed -i '/<\<gameList\>>/a \ </game>' /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/gamelists/retropie/gamelist.xml
sed -i '/<\<gameList\>>/a \ <image>./icons/Attract-Mode.png</image>' /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/gamelists/retropie/gamelist.xml
sed -i '/<\<gameList\>>/a \ <desc>Change system boot to the Attract-Mode frontend and reboot.</desc>' /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/gamelists/retropie/gamelist.xml
sed -i '/<\<gameList\>>/a \ <name>Attract-Mode</name>' /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/gamelists/retropie/gamelist.xml
sed -i '/<\<gameList\>>/a \ <path>./Attract-Mode.sh</path>' /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/gamelists/retropie/gamelist.xml
sed -i '/<\<gameList\>>/a \ <game>' /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/gamelists/retropie/gamelist.xml
sudo reboot

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
Re: How to Install AttractMode on Retropie
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 09:28:17 am »
 :dunno Having problems with this:

First I'm a bit confused by this
1- Install attractmode from Retropie Setup>Manage Packages>Experimental Packages>attractmode found toward bottom of the list

I'm not confused how to proceed step one within this thread I'm familiar with downloading the experimental packages. As you are directing from step one, but rather within this video which you had shared the link for in my prior thread, posted by YouTube "Madlittlepixel" he claims / says to basically build the image completely from scratch & that the performance is better with vid snaps etc. I'm a bit confused where as isn't that what we are doing within this thread ? He specifically states NOT to use the experimental packages (performance reasons with video snaps) ?
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmarqvKr4k4&feature=youtu.be

I was able to use Putty login to the pi / pw raspberry etc working fine... once I built the file within the prompt it was fine, however when I tried to write the image I got an ERROR code :

When I reloaded my Pi, I happen to see the "Attract Mode Logo" within RetroPi. I clicked on it, and now all that's displayed on the Pi is this:

after typing in "emulationstation" within the prompt you can see "Attract Mode" shows up but something is clearly wrong if it's not launching attract mode.

Can anyone help with this ? Thanks. Perhaps what's the steps necessary to delete the file for Attract Mode I created and start over ? Apologize for the N00B Pi questions setting up Attract Mode without simply downloading an experimental package etc. THANKS in advance.

Also
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:24:24 am by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 11:42:32 am »
After using WinSCP as directed, & I placed one of Frizz's layouts "konami",... nothing. I see a black generic layout screen / theme Frizz's layout isn't loaded. should these layouts remain zipped? I unzipped it but left it in it's folder and placed it within the respective folder as per the WinSCP location as shown:

This is what I currently see:
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 06:07:27 pm »
making progress... I can now cycle through and change the themes within Attract Mode, however my rom list isn't showing up. It shows / displays on another screen with the names of the .zip files as opposed to the names of the actual games & Doesn't launch them, what's the file structure of where it's supposed to be ? Also I have all of the video snaps / marquees / wheels stuff where does that go so I can see them properly displayed ?

I'm now seeing this :

2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 09:40:33 pm »
Ok more progress, I got the games / wheel list loaded at this point my next step is to get videos / snaps & the marquee artwork (I'm pretty sure I have all that on my MAME PC just a matter of me transferring files). Not sure if anyone has any theme suggesttions but for now I like this one as it reminds me of hyperspin which I'm accustomed to. The rom names / generated the file names though. At this point I just need to fine tune a few things / add various extras. 

2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:30:56 am
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 02:16:41 pm »
I'm not confused how to proceed step one within this thread I'm familiar with downloading the experimental packages. As you are directing from step one, but rather within this video which you had shared the link for in my prior thread, posted by YouTube "Madlittlepixel" he claims / says to basically build the image completely from scratch & that the performance is better with vid snaps etc. I'm a bit confused where as isn't that what we are doing within this thread ? He specifically states NOT to use the experimental packages (performance reasons with video snaps) ?
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmarqvKr4k4&feature=youtu.be

I think his video is outdated... I followed his instructions exactly and it doesn't seem to be working.  I wish he would update it!

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 01:10:17 pm »
I install attract mode via retropie image easy enough.
The video snaps issue comes from emulation station and attractmode pulling different video's and attract mode's FFDSHOW not likeing something with the encoding.
There are scripts to re-encode the video's so attract likes them but i really don't use anything other than low res displays to play emulated titles so video's arn't a problem at 320x240.

there is also a new front end called Pegasus being actively developed for retropie on their forums.
Haven't used it yet.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:30:56 am
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 10:49:04 am »
I install attract mode via retropie image easy enough.
The video snaps issue comes from emulation station and attractmode pulling different video's and attract mode's FFDSHOW not likeing something with the encoding.
There are scripts to re-encode the video's so attract likes them but i really don't use anything other than low res displays to play emulated titles so video's arn't a problem at 320x240.

there is also a new front end called Pegasus being actively developed for retropie on their forums.
Haven't used it yet.

Do you just install Attract Mode from the "Manage Experimental Packages" section of Retropie?  I'm trying for a VERY basic set up but I'm having a lot of trouble.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 10:38:31 am »

Do you just install Attract Mode from the "Manage Experimental Packages" section of Retropie?  I'm trying for a VERY basic set up but I'm having a lot of trouble.

Usually yes.
sometimes if i'm bored I compile it myself on raspbian.

However, on some releases of retropie i've noticed dependencies are sometimes not installed and compile stops.
so you have to look for what it's missing in the compile logs.

There are a few images on the attract-mode forum already built you can download.