Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dee2er’s ArPIcade JAMMA adapter using Raspberry Pi 3B+ & 4-Player controls HELP  (Read 13583 times)

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
Hey RPi experts ; a long time memeber here, I’ve built MAME cabinet before back in the day from old school  Mamewah to Hyperspin, Daphne etc I have built over +100 yes over +100 dedicated & multicade cabinets (however most of those were for the most part plug & play original / JAMMA boards without the need for programming a Raspberry Pi etc..) I also have the previous Rpi3b but not for a cabinet more for console stuff using emulation station. So why am I starting off by saying this because I’m rather familiar with builds,wiring, soldering etc. However when I had set up my Rpi3b it wasn’t incredibly pleasurable to do so. I don’t enjoy scripts typing stuff into a dos type environment etc. With that being said please be patient with me so I can learn along the way.

I’m really ultimately looking to start building cabinets utilizing RPi 3b+ & dee2er’s JAMMA adapter (or alternative solution PCJohn on KLOV’s is pending supposedly will be sub $100, or the Italian Pi JAMMA adapter) for use inside specifically 4-player cabinet builds. The goal that I’m trying to accomplish is hooking up a RPi3B+using traditional JAMMA wiring. Does anyone know what the best easiest (& most $$$ cost effective) way to hook up 3/4-Player controls is ? Ideally I’d want a plug & play harness / Kick for player 3 & 4. I’ve been so accustomed to building 2-player cabinets but one of the reasons I’d like to build the 4-Player specific cabinets is games such as TMNT, Simpson’s, NBA Jam etc. I’m going to be using actual hardware to the games specs such as two over/under coin doors etc. The original circuit boards are just getting ridiculous in terms of cost per PCB. How’s the emulation on those games using the Rpi3b+ ? I want the most cost effective way for Raspberry Pi to JAMMA 4-player compatible builds.

I only want as of now to build likely horizontal only games. I keep seeing people mention they have images front ends for certain orientations. I also want very limited settings access to the end user when finished. I have all of the ROM files, but some people say go with .78 MAME set others say .106 , which should I be placing into the machine ? I really want to be able to rinse repeat this process, once I get the microSD card set up can I copy it over essentially ? Apologize for my onslaught of questions, abridged but not so abridged more of repetitive version below;

-JAMMA 3/4 player kick harness solution for Rpi3b+ Which works I’m conjunction with dee2er JAMMA adapter ?
-Download / Links Emulation /Front end recommendations based on my above 4 player horizontal games ?
-Which Best compatibility MAME version set of roms should I specifically use on the Rpi3b+ ?
-Once microSD is set up are they easy to COPY saving me time ?
-Most cost effective way for me to build 3/4 player cabs using Rpi3b+ & JAMMA adapter / Kick links recommendations certainly welcomed
-what size microSD should I use 16g, or 32g? The 64g?! I think seems way overkill. I just want games that don’t have issues / run smooth. Again I’m not going nuts possibly just adding Dragons Lair /Daphne other wise no CHD games are needed. Who’s got the best prices for microSDs ?  links please !
-What exactly is needed to get Rpi3b+ using JAMMA do I even need to buy the 2.5v power adapters or does dee2ers JAMMA adapter take care of that / comes with etc.
-Will I see any emulation / performance difference using an Rpi3b Vs. Rpi3b+ ?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:43:49 am by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
How much does the job pay? You are selling these right?

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
People would be glad to help with a personal project. I do it all the time. You are trying to sell things and profit off of someone else's work. Don't make me out to be the bad guy mister tightwad. Go pound sand.

johnm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 03:05:24 pm

If you are building new arcades then why would you go jamma as surely you would be using an LCD
Whatever mame you use, or in fact FBA depends on the game you want to run, some will run better than others and some will not work at all. Check out the retropie forums for lists of what emu version runs what rom best, it may be that you will need to grab several romsets and configure them to achieve what you need.
I think ipac 4 can be set up for 4 players
Sd card size depends on what you want to put on it, no one can guess what you want or need
If you intend on using retropie then you can hide or lock out what you want, note there is a disclaimer on the setup and if selling then you should make people aware that they are using retropie and provide links to their site

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade

If you are building new arcades then why would you go jamma as surely you would be using an LCD

What's wrong with using JAMMA & LCD's together ? I do that on loads of my builds without any issues, that's pretty much how they need to get built as they are Jamma Boards using Jamma wiring with VGA out to the LCD's. That's correct I'm using LCD's in my builds. Do I just not need Dee2er's Jamma Pi adapter to begin with at all ? That would save me tons of $$$ money, can I just use an IPAC4 along with the Rpi3b+ ?

Whatever mame you use, or in fact FBA depends on the game you want to run, some will run better than others and some will not work at all. Check out the retropie forums for lists of what emu version runs what rom best, it may be that you will need to grab several romsets and configure them to achieve what you need.

Pretty much The Simpsons, TMNT, NBA Jam is what I'm looking to mainly run. I saw a few people stated that I think it was Mame4ALL was dropped and outdated for use with the Rpi3b+. I found this compatibilty google doc sheet which is exactly what I was looking for:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WQOmcXWdgPSpxATfnt7RTs3nPqcWF-mvZQXwhnoQy5c/edit#gid=1166197682

I think ipac 4 can be set up for 4 players

Any other alternatives to this as that's getting a bit pricey with the use of that along with IPAC4+Dee2er's Jamma Pi adapter plus + the pi, plus the SDcard  I think it's now like $250.00 +/-. However IF I only require the IPAC4 with the RPi3b+ 32g card that's about $125.

Sd card size depends on what you want to put on it, no one can guess what you want or need
I already went & purchased a 32g card I believe that's more than ample enough space, again just MAME compatible known good working versions without CHD's + possibly adding dragon's lair / daphne. I probably could have gotten away with a 16g card but the prices between a 16g & 32g was nominal difference.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:21:30 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
You can use a pi with a computer lcd no problem.

Hdmi to dvi is just a cable.
Hdmi to vga dsub connector is a cheap adapter on ebay/amazon or if you cant wait walmart sells em at a big inflated rate.

No need for arpicade if you are going simple and cheap.

I have an arpicade but rarely use it.

If you want games like simpsons and tmnt you will find a better emulation experience from a pc.

I am a big pi fan but it has limitations.  The key is to have fun building and learning.  The gameplay is icing on cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnm

• Offline Offline

What's wrong with using JAMMA & LCD's together ? I do that on loads of my builds without any issues, that's pretty much how they need to get built as they are Jamma Boards using Jamma wiring with VGA out to the LCD's. That's correct I'm using LCD's in my builds. Do I just not need Dee2er's Jamma Pi adapter to begin with at all ? That would save me tons of $$$ money, can I just use an IPAC4 along with the Rpi3b+ ?
Because you would be wasting money, the jamma boards are converting the video signal whereas if you are just going HDMI or DVI-D then all you need is a cable. Granted there will be a sound amp and  button encoders but the ipac should take care of the controls and and a sound amp can be found on ebay very cheap.
pi to jamma set ups are for sticking RPIs in current arcades for ease of use, you dont build system around them and use jamma

Pretty much The Simpsons, TMNT, NBA Jam is what I'm looking to mainly run. I saw a few people stated that I think it was Mame4ALL was dropped and outdated for use with the Rpi3b+. I found this compatibilty google doc sheet which is exactly what I was looking for:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WQOmcXWdgPSpxATfnt7RTs3nPqcWF-mvZQXwhnoQy5c/edit#gid=1166197682
That list is different to ones i have, it all comes down to each users experience and depends on the romset used. There is also a mame2003- plus core out that includes some fixes. Easy way to do it would be to put each rom version in the relevant mame/fba folder and try the different emulators to see what you think is best, once you've done that transfer it to the arcade folder and select the emu you thought was best before the game boots up
Any other alternatives to this as that's getting a bit pricey with the use of that along with IPAC4+Dee2er's Jamma Pi adapter plus + the pi, plus the SDcard  I think it's now like $250.00 +/-. However IF I only require the IPAC4 with the RPi3b+ 32g card that's about $125.
You dont need a jamma adaptor if you are using LCD. There are other encoders out there but you would need to buy multiples of them to suit your 4 players setup

I already went & purchased a 32g card I believe that's more than ample enough space, again just MAME compatible known good working versions without CHD's + possibly adding dragon's lair / daphne. I probably could have gotten away with a 16g card but the prices between a 16g & 32g was nominal difference.

To be honest i think you would have been better with a PC, the Pi is a great wee thing but as you can see with the hassle of running different mames to get the best out of it, it is time consuming
mame/fba comparisons in the link
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/13769/fba-vs-mame

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade

No need for arpicade if you are going simple and cheap.

Yep exactly & from this thread I realize I don't require an ArPIcade, I'm looking for functional / reliable & inexpensive.

I have an arpicade but rarely use it.

I can relate to MANY items in this hobby I feel the same way.

If you want games like simpsons and tmnt you will find a better emulation experience from a pc.

I am a big pi fan but it has limitations. 

According to various sources the emulation utilizing the Rpi3+ is running 100% without any issues of the specific above listed games. While I do agree with you IF i was looking to play more titles which required a higher graphic card etc/ PC Powered required games. Budget wise the reason I went / going with pi is exactly that. I needed an inexpensive solution as opposed to dropping crazy money on one original PCB to having the ability to have various titles. Something that's also more reliable.  I think Rpi is the best solution for what I was looking for with the games I anticipate on running.

I was also interested in the Pandora Box 5s but it has way too many limitations & issues for me to go that route with these particular builds. Also Pandora Box 5s's they don't allow you to hook up 4 players, no kick out harness etc. I think eventually if & when the Pandora Boxes get better I would go that way assuming the price remains sub $100, they have 4 player support and add more working games, eliminate the clones & repetitive revisions etc.

The biggest thing I've basically learned from this thread that I really don't require an ArPIcade which makes me happy. However it's just going to be more labor intensive of a set up when not using a simple plug & play JAMMA harness. I'll need to cut / strip existing JAMMA wiring looms as "donors" ; going straight into the IPAC4's screw terminals for the 4-Player games I'll be building. The ArPIcade seems to eliminate most of that (not needing to cut/strip wires etc). For the roughly $150 per cabinet I'll be saving NOT needing an ArPIcade I'd rather spend the time on the labor per machine saving the money on the parts. Apparently It seems I can just use an IPAC4 + The Raspberry Pi 3B+ to accomplish what I need. To me I'm accustomed to multiboards which are in the 35$-69$ range so the thought of initially needing to jump to a $250 price point  was a huge price increase for builds.

In a perfect world not sure if it exists I would love a modified IPAC4 adapter I basically want an IPAC4 with USB (which it has) which plugs into the raspberry Pi & instead of the screw terminals needing to strip and use a JAMMA harness as a donor wire. In addition ideally I'd want a kick harness which plugs directly into the IPAC4 with a molex (plug & play for 3/4 players) & a JAMMA connector. I'm not sure if that makes sense to any one. I'd call it the IPAC5. Or the PiPac.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

1500points

• Offline Offline
I only skimmed your last post but why are you focused on jamma?  You could technically plug 4 cheap usb encoders in and roll, no? 

That zero delay kit comes with plug n play wiring connectors so if you wanna roll without wiring effort you can.

1500points

• Offline Offline
Also there is a cool looking tmnt attract mode layout here on the am layouts tab-
http://idahogaragecade.com/

I haven’t tried it but currently using the vertical sphere layout with a sky shark type game series.

johnm

• Offline Offline

In a perfect world not sure if it exists I would love a modified IPAC4 adapter I basically want an IPAC4 with USB (which it has) which plugs into the raspberry Pi & instead of the screw terminals needing to strip and use a JAMMA harness as a donor wire. In addition ideally I'd want a kick harness which plugs directly into the IPAC4 with a molex (plug & play for 3/4 players) & a JAMMA connector. I'm not sure if that makes sense to any one. I'd call it the IPAC5. Or the PiPac.

Of course you can do this if you insist on keeping the jamma harnesses, just buy a jamma fingerboard and solder the wires onto it so you can connect them to the screw terminals, just do the same with the extra connectors. If you dont want to solder then buy a jamma extension and cut the wires

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade

just buy a jamma fingerboard and solder the wires onto it so you can connect them to the screw terminals, just do the same with the extra connectors. If you dont want to solder then buy a jamma extension and cut the wires

Totally forgot about those products, good suggestion !

I only skimmed your last post but why are you focused on jamma?  You could technically plug 4 cheap usb encoders in and roll, no? 

That zero delay kit comes with plug n play wiring connectors so if you wanna roll without wiring effort you can.

Wow also completely forgot about those, another really good suggestion, thanks.

So what should be my setup procedure getting this thing going out of the box according to my tracking I'll have it tomorrow. Again I've set up another Rpi3b with retro pi but that's all console stuff.... I remember it was annoying to set up. What's a good front end recommended / I came across a thread mentioning HyperPI I'm accustomed to Hyperspin on my MAME Cabinet. I'm really looking for a simple set up solution / guide to get this going for use on a horizotal monitor setup ideally a file which would have an empty rom file folder where I'm able to simply drag and drop my own files into said folder. I basically want a compatible Raspberry Pi3b+ horizontal image with snaps / wheels / vids ready to go with me just needing to add roms (which I already have). This is only to be used for MAME & maybe I might add Daphne Also I really need to be able to copy this procedure for other builds in the future making it as painless as possible.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

1500points

• Offline Offline
here are the steps which took me a lot of digging to find a useful video on the topic.
the info at the attractmode forum which you'll find as a top entry on a google search is not useful and outdated. hmmph..

These steps are specifically for getting the attractmode program itself on your functioning retropie build.  It assumes you have retropie working, which will involve little nitpicky things like enabling SSH so your PC can talk to your Pi over wifi (eta prime vids teach about that kind of topic)

if you get this far, i can post more about how to tell attractmode to see your mame file location, and how to tell it to see your scraped graphic files

--------------------
more detail since the instructions are elusive and vague when it comes to retropie.

for putting attractmode on a retropie image:

1-install attractmode from the retropie setup menu under experimental packages
2-you have to connect to the pi with a program called Putty from your computer.
This lets you work from the Pi command prompt at your PC.

3- Following this YT tutorial-
at command prompt:
---type> nano menu.sh <hit enter>
---copy the following text then right click to paste it into the text file.
---then use ctl-X and Yes to save the file.
---<type> chmod +x menu.sh <hit enter>
---<type> ./menu.sh <hit enter>,
---putty will get disconnected due to the reboot.

4- attractmode will now be an entry on the retropie menu.
5- continue with download of the attractmode layouts from Frizz's website,
6-using winscp to copy the files from PC to the Pi.
---in winscp, go to options>preferences>panels and check the box for show hidden files
---use winscp to copy the layout folders to the Pi at /home/pi/.attract/layouts

-----contents of menu.sh-------
mkdir /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup
cat >> /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/EmulationStation.sh << EOF
clear
echo "Switching default boot system to EmulationStation and rebooting"
echo ""
sed -i 's/attract/emulationstation/g' /opt/retropie/configs/all/autostart.sh
sudo reboot
EOF
cat >> /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/Attract-Mode.sh << EOF
echo "Switching default boot system to Attract-Mode and rebooting"
echo ""
sed -i 's/emulationstation/attract/g' /opt/retropie/configs/all/autostart.sh
sudo reboot
EOF
chmod +x /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/Attract-Mode.sh
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/audiosettings.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Audio Settings.sh"
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/bluetooth.rp >> /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Bluetooth.sh
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/configedit.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Configuration Editor.sh"
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/wifi.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Configure Wifi.sh"
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/filemanager.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/File Manager.sh"
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/raspiconfig.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Raspberry Pie Setup.sh"
echo sudo reboot >> /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Reboot.sh
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/retroarch.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Retroarch Setup.sh"
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/retronetplay.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Retroarch Netplay.sh"
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/rpsetup.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/RetroPie Setup.sh"
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/runcommand.rp >> /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/RunCommand.sh
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/showip.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Show IP Address.sh"
echo sudo poweroff >> /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Shutdown.sh
echo sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh retropiemenu launch /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/splashscreen.rp >> "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/Splash Screen.sh"
mkdir /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/box
mkdir /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/cart
mkdir /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/box
mkdir /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/marquee
mkdir /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap
mkdir /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/video
mkdir /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/wheel
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/audiosettings.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Audio Settings.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/bluetooth.png /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Bluetooth.png
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/configedit.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Configuration Editor.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/wifi.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Configure Wifi.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/filemanager.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/File Manager.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/raspiconfig.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Raspberry Pie Setup.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/retroarch.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Retroarch Setup.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/retronetplay.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Retroarch Netplay.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/rpsetup.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/RetroPie Setup.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/runcommand.png /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/RunCommand.png
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/showip.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Show IP Address.png"
cp /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/splashscreen.png "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap/Splash Screen.png"
chmod +x /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/*.sh
wget http://attractmode.org/images/logo.png
mv logo.png /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/icons/Attract-Mode.png
cat >> /home/pi/.attract/emulators/Setup.cfg << EOF
# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.2.1
#
executable /bin/bash
args "[romfilename]"
rompath /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup
romext .sh
system Setup
artwork box /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/box
artwork cart /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/cart
artwork flyer /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/box
artwork marquee /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/marquee
artwork snap /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/video;/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/snap
artwork wheel /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/setup/wheel
EOF
sed -i '/\<sound\>/i \display Setup' /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg
sed -i '/\<sound\>/i \ layout Basic' /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg
sed -i '/\<sound\>/i \ romlist Setup' /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg
sed -i '/\<sound\>/i \ in_cycle yes' /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg
sed -i '/\<sound\>/i \ in_menu yes' /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg
sed -i '/\<sound\>/i \ filter all' /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg
sed -i '/\<sound\>/i \ ' /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg
sed -i 's/window_mode default/window_mode fullscreen/g' /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg
attract -b Setup
sed -i '/<\<gameList\>>/a \ </game>' /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/gamelists/retropie/gamelist.xml
sed -i '/<\<gameList\>>/a \ <image>./icons/Attract-Mode.png</image>' /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/gamelists/retropie/gamelist.xml
sed -i '/<\<gameList\>>/a \ <desc>Change system boot to the Attract-Mode frontend and reboot.</desc>' /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/gamelists/retropie/gamelist.xml
sed -i '/<\<gameList\>>/a \ <name>Attract-Mode</name>' /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/gamelists/retropie/gamelist.xml
sed -i '/<\<gameList\>>/a \ <path>./Attract-Mode.sh</path>' /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/gamelists/retropie/gamelist.xml
sed -i '/<\<gameList\>>/a \ <game>' /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/gamelists/retropie/gamelist.xml
sudo reboot

johnm

• Offline Offline

It really sounds like you're pretty lazy over this mrclean, if you want a custom setup then you are going to have to do a custom setup yourself. You will need to source your videos, wheel and snaps yourself or use a scraper. I have no experience with attract mode but retropie has its own scraper as well as one you can use in the setup, you can also register at screenscraper.fr and download universal xml scraper which will grab your media and write your gamelist from your PC but it isn't perfect and sometimes names an image wrong so you will need to use a text editor to check this if nothing shows up. I've also had videos show black screen if using omxplayer hardware encoding, I ended up just using VLC player to re encode them to solve the problem.
Once you are happy with the mame version you are using and all files are present then you can use an image writer to backup and rewrite that to other cards.
How you are coming across in this is you've bought the hardware and now want expect others to do the legwork. My advice is grab the retropie image, write it and and try the different mame/fba versions with the relevant rom versions to get it working then worry about the eye candy

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
He is an entrepreneur. He doesn't have time for peasant work. He is leaving that all to you guys to do for free.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade

You lost me at

It really sounds like you're pretty lazy over this mrclean, if you want a custom setup then you are going to have to do a custom setup yourself. You will need to source your videos, wheel and snaps yourself or use a scraper. I have no experience with attract mode but retropie has its own scraper

I do remember setting up my NES stuff with the scrapper on the Pi3b & it was ultra slow and inconsistent with the screen grabs / titles / boxart etc. I already have all the snaps / video files at one point I was a payed / gold member on the Hyperspin forum buying in along with I forgot that other site that hosted all the vids.

My other main concern is even if I get things going how I want, I really want a seamless process to repeat / copy them in the future. I don't understand why you can't just copy an existing microSD card image once it's set up properly or can you ?
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

johnm

• Offline Offline
If you go to hyperspin then there is a link to the site that hosts all the vids.

If you can write an image then you can read/copy one to your PC, how do you think all these guys doing retropie loaded images do it. Did you even read other threads in this section?

1500points

• Offline Offline
My other main concern is even if I get things going how I want, I really want a seamless process to repeat / copy them in the future. I don't understand why you can't just copy an existing microSD card image once it's set up properly or can you ?

once you have an image just right and how you want it.
you will use win32diskimager to "read" the image from your sd card onto an image file on the PC.
that is an easy google subject.

but you aren't ready for that, yet.

There is SO MUCH random info about pi out on the internet it is darned hard to figure out where to start and how to successfully get going.
Don't sweat it, we'll get you going but it requires a crap ton of learning various stuff.
this is not as easy to get setup as pc emulation, just too much linuxy stuff mixed in.

when i first got a pi, i was overwhelmed and let it sit on desk for a couple few months.  then i got a message from a guy named rey, maybe in South America? I dunno but he helped me get started in taking steps forward and it started moving forward. 
just first steps first.  learn how to download retropie and install it on an sd card with win32diskimager.

If you want to get yourself prepped, you can download/install these free programs on your PC
notepad++
win32diskimager
putty
winscp

1500points

• Offline Offline
One more thing once you have retropie up and running.

Themes are pretty cool and a LOT easier than attract mode.
Watch this vid to see how to download them right from the retropie menus.
Then you just choose which theme you want and it re-graphics the screens.  pretty darned cool stuff and doesn't require tons of extra knowledge and config.

This vid seems to cover it properly- 

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
One more thing once you have retropie up and running.

Themes are pretty cool and a LOT easier than attract mode.
Watch this vid to see how to download them right from the retropie menus.
Then you just choose which theme you want and it re-graphics the screens.  pretty darned cool stuff and doesn't require tons of extra knowledge and config.

This vid seems to cover it properly- 

That's cool again I'm literally just running MAME / Daphne on this no NES, No SEGA No N64 etc, also hopefully I can have Dragon's Lair as an example using Daphne as an alternative emulator from the same menu / game list as the rest of the MAME titles. Again it's not imperative at this very moment & perhaps as discussed I'm getting ahead of myself. Some point tomorrow I'm sure that's when the real questions / help begins but hopefully not.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

1500points

• Offline Offline
Yah you can run daphne with mame.

But daphne is tricky to set up with some accessing control files with putty and assigning manual button numbers.  That is an advanced skillset at this point.  I can explain it later but you arent to that point yet

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
First off KUDOS TO 1500points as he's been holding my hand throughout the process....

I'm making some headway with this. I have newer versions of MAME Sets but I ended up using MAME Set .78 since that's what was recommended for compatibility & it seems to be a good fit for the games / builds I'm using it for. (I modified the FULL set, I filtered out various games I didn't need Adult / Mahjong etc..) Any ways I tested some of the games without any real game play / emulation issues on the Rpi3b+ with .78 & MAME2003 as the emulator within retropi. I haven't truly decided if I'm going to remove the vertical games as this is being used on a horizontal set up.

My few concerns next steps I'd like to fix is for one I see a screen which shows up for 4-5 seconds if you don't touch anything typically the game launches without a hiccup. However it also lets you hit a button to change the emulator / various other settings. I DON'T want this to pop up when end-users are launching a game. Any way to hide this screen (Also the lower left shows a yellow text ideally I'd like to hide that as well Again I'm exclusively using mame2003 just MAME no console stuff in conjunction with the MAME.78 roms therefore i don't need to change it to another emulator:

Also I think I want a bit of eye candy being this is going inside a cabinet shortly. How do I get front ends onto this ? I want video snaps something clean & simple. I really like Hyperspin which I use on my PC MAME build. Once that's accomplished I'm going to want to get;

-Front End w./ Video Snaps / with wheel logos or marques
-DAPHNE up & running
-MASKING settings / changing splash boot screens etc more presentable within a cabinet
-Hopefully I'm able to COPY & repeat this process / copy the SD for future builds.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:48:12 am by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

1500points

• Offline Offline
The screen you see when entering game is disabled from a selection on retropie. Run command prompt or some similar name. I dont have pi running at moment.

The eye candy is attract mode which i explained above to install. But first please try out the themes i explained in message. It will teach you a bit more before digging into advanced things like attract mode.

I will explain daphne setup next week.  The controller setup requires some advanced skill in linux side of things.  Learn about themes from retropie first.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
Why don't you offer him a couple of bucks instead of just kudos? Are you going to accept kudos as payment when you sell these things?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Why don't you offer him a couple of bucks instead of just kudos? Are you going to accept kudos as payment when you sell these things?

You got it wrong, Mike. He’s sending him a case of these...

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
The screen you see when entering game is disabled from a selection on retropie. Run command prompt or some similar name. I dont have pi running at moment.

The eye candy is attract mode which i explained above to install. But first please try out the themes i explained in message. It will teach you a bit more before digging into advanced things like attract mode.

I will explain daphne setup next week.  The controller setup requires some advanced skill in linux side of things.  Learn about themes from retropie first.

I've set up Daphne on Hyperspin on my PC/MAME build wasn't that bad... I'm pretty sure I still have the mpeg / mv files etc whatever it used etc i don't remember as it's been a long time since I set that up hopefully the same files can be used again. Oh for what it's worth I already did switch some of the themes within emulation station... this is the one I'm currently using  (Again I'm basically looking for a Hyperspin / Ultra Arcade type look in terms of front end):

2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

1500points

• Offline Offline
To get attract mode installed you will have to follow the steps above.  And that involves using a pc program called putty to create and copy the script contents into menu.sh.

Once you do that google hyperpie which is nothing more than an attractmode style they copied after hyperspin.  To get hyperpie on your setup you will have to copy over the layout files from pc to pi with winscp

I have been using an attractmode style called robospin which works well enough.

update- I broke the topic out into its own subject here- http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157731.0.html
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:19:29 pm by 1500points »

1500points

• Offline Offline
...accept kudos as payment when you sell these things?

ha, I've seen folks try to sell full complete AM setups with pi's on ebay. It seems like the FB group is on them hard and fast.
I doubt anyone would want to pay for our little one-off configurations.

Plus isn't it the spirit of the Pi community that you pass info out of goodwill and free.  For the one person that is vocal about trying to figure it out in the ocean of Pi-confusion there are 100 more that are watching quietly from the wings trying to learn a thing or two.

It was very difficult to get started for me in Pi until I found some good samaritans who shared info freely, we should all do that as a hobby, no?

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
This guy sells MAME cabs. You are freely giving your knowledge so that he can profit from it.

I would applaud you if this was a personal project of his, but that is not the case. You are helping him be a lazy turd cheapskate.

1500points

• Offline Offline
I am not aware of the person or history but would ask that what I have shared not be used for profit on a topic that is supposed to be fun and free hobby stuff

Regardless there are more free complete images out for download than you can count not sure why one would assemble the structure from byoac....

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:37:54 pm by 1500points »

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
Read his posts. He has built over 100 cabs. He wants easy repeatability. He wants limited access to settings for the end user. You don't refer to yourself as an end user. Why do you think I am on this so aggressively?

1500points

• Offline Offline
Ah I see but still it is hard to judge how people use free info on the internet.  It is impossible to hide open info in the digital age.

It still seems like a seller would just go grab a prebuilt image out there. Hmmph.

On my own builds I like to have limited access because kids tend to play the cabs I make when I loan them full time to a church youth group.   

johnm

• Offline Offline

1500points while I admire your desire to help I have to point out that this user is being so f'in lazy it is making you look silly in pandering to him. Of course the same could be aimed at me as I have tried to point him in the right direction but it is only that, I point him there so he can look himself and learn how to do it instead of having his hand held.. I myself have been messing about with Retropie in the last couple of weeks and I can say for certain that his recent questions are very easily found by using a simple search on the retropie forum but he looks to be refusing to do that because he has you on a leash (no offence) .

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:26 pm
yeah, F this guy.  #stopthespoonfeeding

good day.

1500points

• Offline Offline
Ok when Chopper weighs in....  thread closed folks.

Time for a parting meme. 

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
How much does the job pay?

That's your first unnecessary comment within this thread ? Really... wow, not exactly contributing to the thread in ANY POSITIVE manner. I've looked through a few of your other posts outside of this thread most of seem all similar & negative.

This guy sells MAME cabs.

So now you just assume things and toss unwarranted statements within this thread you would be WRONG ! I've never SOLD ANY PC MAME CABS, Never programmed / loaded my roms for customers etc. I have however burned Roms on my GQ4X though using MAME roms to keep dedicated rare hardware going. I have built a MAME though for my PERSONAL collection not for profit. I have DOZENS of dedicated games including Dragon's Lair with a Laser Disc player, but unfortunately these old 35+ year old components will eventually fail (Dry rot as an example on Dragon's Lair). I've looked into utilizing the most cost effective way to provide accurate game play etc as an example initially I looked into using the Pandora Boxes 5s' (Doesn't have 4-Player support / no Dragon's Lair) which I suppose is a derivative of MAME but I didn't want to as I've seen videos showing as an example Gun.Smoke running on that without bullet sounds, I couldn't swallow poor emulation / issues right out of the box & it's limitations which is why I realized Pi's are the way to go if set up properly etc... Thus I created this thread with trying to start completely from scratch understanding as I go.

You are helping him be a lazy turd cheapskate.
Lazy turd cheapskate ? So generally as opposed to watching YouTube videos I prefer to communicate with other members on various forums while also displaying that knowledge so that other lurkers / members are able to pick up some info to help aid them with their projects and gain general knowledge. Lazy would be me copying someones Pi img which I'm not doing; I want my own customized fresh build catered to my parameters. BYOAC / KLOV community isn't about derailing threads or convincing other members who are being helpful to stop while in addition being negative or having troll like tendencies throughout the thread. I've been a BYOAC member for over 12 years & this isn't what BYOAC was/is about. I've always thought It's about giving back to the community, sharing / helping etc... not creating comments of negativity and being counter productive or having troll like tendencies.

Don't make me out to be the bad guy mister tightwad. Go pound sand.
tightwad ? Ha that made me laugh as I've helped contribute to many things within this hobby over the course of more than a decade, from spending money buying bulk art from Todd Tuckey @ TNT amusements providing artwork files, scans, rom preservation & many other contributions / aspects to this hobby.

He is an entrepreneur. He doesn't have time for peasant work. He is leaving that all to you guys to do for free.

Really ? more trolling... They are providing me as well as anyone else who reads this thread with knowledge of helping us with technical questions at their discretion. Last I checked I didn't need to pay for BYOAC member comments within the thread helping out etc. 

Why don't you offer him a couple of bucks instead of just kudos?
Because see post above, but to reiterate AFAIK that's not proper protocol on BYOAC to pay someone for posting contributing & positive knowledge within a thread helping not just me but other members / browsers / guests looking at this very thread.   

Read his posts. He has built over 100 cabs. He wants easy repeatability. He wants limited access to settings for the end user. You don't refer to yourself as an end user. Why do you think I am on this so aggressively?

Yes about half of them were for my own personal collection... You would be correct I do want them to be set up how I want them other wise I would just load a generic .img file from someone else thus creating this thread building an image from scratch. I really don't know why you continued to derail and not contribute to this thread within any positive manner nor why you needed to target me and have other members stop them from contributing in a positive manner.

I really urge you If you can't post a productive comment without derailing being negative or having similar trolling like tendencies I would appreciate it if in the future you would refrain from posting within this or any of my threads for that matter Mike A. As i will start new threads regarding this particular subject. Other wise I'll request the need to involve a mod to discuss necessary actions.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
So this on KLOV...

As the thread title states : I'm looking for Leaf button holders with switches for Metal Control Panels 100pc-1000pc quantity all depends on the price. I'm not looking to buy these from a retailer at retail prices I'm looking for a BULK DEAL Does any one have a good connect for these from a local source or even over seas ?

Thanks, please PM me.

...is not you?

Looks like this project is moving along... It's nice to have other choices for these aka ArPIicade. I think another one exists in Italy as well. This seems to be exactly what I'm looking for a sub $100 adapter which allows you to hook up a rpi to Jamma.

I just wanted to know does this allow you to hook up 3/4 player controls / does it have a kick out harness pins etc ? Hows the emulation on TMNT is that 100% ? I want an alternative to the Pandora Boxes which aren't that great (& I don't think they support 3/4 kick out harness etc).

I have a rpi3b which I use for my TV with "emulation station", never inside a cabinet. To me it wasn't that pleasurable to set up. I keep seeing people say they have a Vertical / Horizontal Image for these ? I'm not looking for the Roms I have all the sets etc, I'm curious if any one has a nice frontend for these plug and play / copy sd cards should I want to build several of them without too much set-up.

...it sure sounds like you.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:59:19 am by Mike A »

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
I already asked you nicely to no longer post within this thread or any of my future threads.

Mike A please read the rules as stated here about BYOAC:
http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_message_rules.html

1. Be nice to each other. We're serious about this one. Disagree, debate, argue at will - but please be respectful. Messages that are flame-bait, hateful, racist, or otherwise pointlessly antagonistic will likely be sent to post-hell, and repeat offenders banned from posting.

4. Exercise tolerance. Everyone was a newbie once, and not everyone speaks English well. Everyone interested in being part of the arcade controls community is welcome here. A gentle suggestion to someone regarding their grammar or spelling is fine - mocking them or flaming is not. File this under the "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" category.

10. Generally annoying behavior. If you're following all the rules but are still managing through conduct or behavior to annoy a significant portion of the BYOAC membership to the point where the forum as a whole suffers, you will first be asked to modify your conduct and then will possibly be banned.

12. Other. Moderators and admins will do what is deemed necessary to keep things cordial and flame-free. This includes dealing with thread-poisoning, flaming, trolling, etc. This is the "catch-all" rule for the inevitable rule-lawyer.

I had asked you nicely to no longer contribute your nonsense unhelpful pointless comments within my thread. You have continued to bully target and continue to troll my posts. A report will be sent to the admin or moderator at this point I'm tired of you harassing me and my posts.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 12:28:55 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
I asked you a simple question. Do you wish to continue misrepresenting yourself or will you just come clean now?

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
I asked you a simple question. Do you wish to continue misrepresenting yourself or will you just come clean now?

Misrepresenting ? All I was looking for was help with Rpi3b+ setup. Which last I checked I was in the proper category "Raspberry Pi & Dev Board". Despite your behavior & violating many BYOAC rules within this thread alone I previously asked you a simple request, to PLEASE DO NOT continue post in this or any of my future threads. Beyond this response I won't be responding to any of your posts should you continue to violate my request. I'm just going to simply ignore you at this point period. Your persistence of these violations gave me no other choice but to inform the mods / admin.   
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke