Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 3.5mm Out, Adafruit AMP or USB Adaptor / PRE-AMP to drive 15w 1x speaker? RPi3B+  (Read 2700 times)

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
I'm not using a Raspberry Pi on a TV / Home Receiver with HDMI inputs etc therefore I've read I'll need an amp or something to boost the audio out coming from the 3.5mm jack on the rpi3b+ ? My raspberry pi will be going inside a cabinet & for the video I'm going HDMI to DVI cable for my LCD monitor(which only has DVI/VGA inputs which is fine since it's just for video and no speakers directly attached to the monitor). The output however for the audio on the raspberry Pi 3b+ I intend on using the 3.5mm (or USB) & forcing that as the audio output via the menu / options within the config etc. So what exactly do I need from the 3.5mm (or USB) to drive a single 15w soldered standard arcade speaker ?

I've seen this: $19.95
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1752?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm8bcy9mI3QIVxkoNCh0JLgf6EAQYASABEgK-DfD_BwE

Correct me IF i'm wrong but looks like it needs a power source which is an additional $24.95 !:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/352

That's $44.90 + mini 3.5mm to 3.5mm right around $50.00 additionally I'll need to solder components to the board... I'd rather buy something plug & play for that combined price.

& I realized not sure if this would work, I have a similar one for my vinyl / LP record player but what about a Pre-Amp: https://tinyurl.com/y8nkhfcc

for 22$ it also comes with the power adapter. I don't know if this will work but others stated you just need to Boost the audio, would that suffice or whats the best most cost effictive way to output audio from the rpi3b+ using 3.5mm to a standard single 15w arcade speaker ?

Others stated in previous threads to use a USB Sound Card, any specific ones compatible with the rpi3b+ ? https://www.adafruit.com/product/1475

Do they sell mini 3.5mm out to speaker wire ? Will it be compatible with this set up ? for 6$ this is the cheapest solution. Setting up this particular way where is the config file so I can output pi via usb ? If possible I'd rather not type anything into the terminal because I can't see anything as I changed the code to hide things, it would be much easier for me to access a particular config file via ssh / WinSCP. If someone can help with that I'd appreciate it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:54:57 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

baritonomarchetto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:40:48 pm
Buy a 3 bucks amplifier from your favourite cinese ebay seller and have fun with your game. There's not the need to spend 30 (!!) bucks on those amplifiers.
You will always need an external power supply with any amplifier. You can use an edditional psu or see if you can juice the amp from the main psu (you gave us no info on your project, so...)

johnm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 03:05:24 pm

I got the one below from a chinese seller for a little over £2, others had used them with success and decided to go with them. Its 12v so rather than separate PSUs i just bought an arcade PSU that will have more than enough juice to run the Pi at 5v and the amp at 12v as well as spare should i decide add other stuff.

TDA7297 AC/DC 12V 2*15W Digital Stereo Audio Amplifier Dual Channel

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade

I got the one below from a chinese seller for a little over £2, others had used them with success and decided to go with them. Its 12v so rather than separate PSUs i just bought an arcade PSU that will have more than enough juice to run the Pi at 5v and the amp at 12v as well as spare should i decide add other stuff.

TDA7297 AC/DC 12V 2*15W Digital Stereo Audio Amplifier Dual Channel

That looks perfect and the price is perfect awesome suggestion. The only problem is turn around times with the Chinese suppliers many of the dates say could be as late as middle of Oct, I might purposely pay a premium to just have it sent from a US sell for expedited shipping.

Buy a 3 bucks amplifier from your favourite cinese ebay seller and have fun with your game. There's not the need to spend 30 (!!) bucks on those amplifiers.
You will always need an external power supply with any amplifier. You can use an edditional psu or see if you can juice the amp from the main psu (you gave us no info on your project, so...)

I'll be using a traditional switching power supply inside the cabinet, I realized now I can just wire it from that, I've been so accustom to just building non Pi stuff, didn't even think about just to tap into that thanks!

Now I'll just need to change my audio out to 3.5mm jack instead of HDMI, hope that's easy. If i recall correctly I think that was in Emulation Station under Audio ?... I don't really use Emulation Station at this point I'm using Attract Mode.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:14:55 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke