Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Final Boss Cabinet Design  (Read 7805 times)

Smalkmus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2019, 09:57:23 am
  • Arcade noob! I'm here to learn!
Final Boss Cabinet Design
« on: July 10, 2018, 12:00:53 am »
Hiya!  I am working on a Street Fighter X Mega Man cabinet theme and wanted to get some opinions on my side art.  It's pretty basic, I'm not great with photoshop but I'm learning a little bit and was able to slap these together. 

On the left side, I really like the original Mega Man logo better than the one in the Street Fighter X Mega Man but does that ruin the theme to go with the first version with the original logo?  Or should I ditch the logos on the sides and only have the logo in the marquee? 

On the right side, I'm curious what people think of the collage vs the Akuma facing forward or Akuma with back turned?  I kind of like the mysterious look of Akuma with his back turned. 

Do you recommend more fancy backgrounds?  I noticed most cabinets don't have side art like this with the characters directly from the games and usually have a more cartoony drawing of them.  Are these 8-bit characters going to look like massive blobs on a full size arcade cabinet? 

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 11:23:53 am by Smalkmus »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Street Fighter x Mega Man Cabinet Design
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 04:56:55 am »
They are going to look like massive blobs. The collage, don't do it. I will find your cab and burn it. I honestly can't believe anyone thinks a collage looks good, yet they keep showing up. Unless you are a graphic artist, you should farm out the artwork. They know how to fill up a space, and when to be minimalist. They know how to work colors. It is thier job.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 07:07:01 am »
I don not really like the pixelation on these big pictures. I should reconsider that I guess.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 08:03:51 am »
I'm not great with photoshop but I'm learning a little bit

Do you know how to make a rectangle?  /inside joke

I wont lie, I kinda like the GouKi with his back turned, I just don't know how great it would look actual size.   I get that you want to keep the retro pixel look, but even Megaman box art had actual art. There's lots of great art for both franchises out there. Find a cool Megaman piece, and a cool SF piece on something like Deviant art, then contact the artist about using and promoting their work. It likely wont be free, but it'll be worth it.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 08:07:26 am »
People will spend whatever it takes to light up their cab like a Christmas tree, but they won't spend a dime on artwork.

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 08:28:02 am »
Haha I read that other thread where the guy was struggling to make a rectangle. Yes I can make a rectangle but my skill level with photoshop is still probably lower than that guy’s. Thanks everyone for the feedback, I appreciate it.

It’s  really less about spending money on art work and more that I was hoping I could make something myself that I could be proud of. I agree the collage looks like a pixelated blobby mess and I wanted to just confirm that others saw it the same way.  But I was kind of digging the minimal mega man on the left and Akuma on the right. I actually started a request with Snaaake but then told him to hold off because I found some inspiration and thought maybe I can do this myself. But I think I am probably in over my head here and should go back to him.

Thanks again for the ideas!  I’m going to go look into fire retardant options now to keep Mike from burning my cab to the ground :D

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 11:34:42 am »
Making a cab takes a lot of effort, time and money. Better get it perfect. But if you like your side art, maybe you can ask Snaaake to just pimp it a bit?

CobraX83

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2019, 05:29:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 01:32:19 pm »
Smalkmus I like the Akuma and Mega-Man version....not too big of a fan of the collage for reasons others have mentioned.

I can also draw more than a rectangle  :D I was just not sure how to go about the template for a marquee as I had never made one from scratch...bought a popular bartop kit thinking I might see one floating around in the community etc....lol (= I can take the "inside jokes" but it took me all of 1 minute to make it after I understood with some help from a member.

As for the art I think you should keep taking a shot at making it on your own.

I am currently working on a Daphne / Laserdisc themed bartop and love the art I have been making for it....feels nice to know you customized the entire machine yourself  :)

Maybe give it another shot or two before you feel like you are unhappy with it and want someone else to assist you. Either way good luck!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 02:00:45 pm by CobraX83 »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 02:14:17 pm »
People will spend whatever it takes to light up their cab like a Christmas tree, but they won't spend a dime on artwork.

It’s  really less about spending money on art work and more that I was hoping I could make something myself that I could be proud of. I agree the collage looks like a pixelated blobby mess and I wanted to just confirm that others saw it the same way. 
In general, I'm not a fan of pixel art for side-art.  My philosophy is pixels are meant for on-screen, side art is supposed to be flashier, higher quality, stylized to attract attention.
Also, I never was on-board with putting the title of the cabinet on the side-art. That's what the Marquee is for. It always looks so tacky when people bombard their cabinet with the same title graphics that is on the Marquee.

But, people want what they want. 

The collage can work if you were able to tastefully add thin outlines to each character's sprite, . It'll still look a bit noisy, but you'll need something to differentiate each character from each other.
But overall, relying solely on pixel art makes the cabinet look underwhelming IMO.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 08:24:51 pm »
Haha I read that other thread where the guy was struggling to make a rectangle. Yes I can make a rectangle but my skill level with photoshop is still probably lower than that guy’s. Thanks everyone for the feedback, I appreciate it.

It’s  really less about spending money on art work and more that I was hoping I could make something myself that I could be proud of. I agree the collage looks like a pixelated blobby mess and I wanted to just confirm that others saw it the same way.  But I was kind of digging the minimal mega man on the left and Akuma on the right. I actually started a request with Snaaake but then told him to hold off because I found some inspiration and thought maybe I can do this myself. But I think I am probably in over my head here and should go back to him.

Thanks again for the ideas!  I’m going to go look into fire retardant options now to keep Mike from burning my cab to the ground :D

Props to you for the good attitude and rolling with the punches. If I can do anything for you, please do not hesitate to ask!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 12:30:13 am »
Thanks again guys. I agree that the title belongs on the marquee and not plastered all over the cabinet. Thanks for helping me sort that out. And thanks for the suggestion about using thin outlines if I do end up with a collage. I totally get what you guys are saying about the 8-bit style doesn’t really belong on the side. I just love the original mega man game and love that 8-bit character image  but I kinda hate the original box art and most of the mega man box art. The box art always felt off to me. But this is really helpful feedback, I can find some art that I like and see if I can get the artists blessing to use it. After a little searching, i like this one. Do you guys think it would translate well to a cabinet?  Any thoughts?

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 12:49:39 am »
Props to you for the good attitude and rolling with the punches. If I can do anything for you, please do not hesitate to ask!
Haha I mean I knew the collage was pretty raggedy and the other ones were pretty basic.  I do really like that 8-bit mega man image but it feels a bit empty and uninspired and it would be weird to either make the entire cabinet covered in 8-bit graphics or mix the 8-bit graphics up with other styles. That would probably lead to a whole other set of clashing mismatched problems. So all that considered, I was expecting to take some ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- but hoping to get some constructive criticism too.

I’m open to any suggestions. Im not sure how much detail a graphic artist would want if I do hire somebody to create my artwork for me. Do I need to tell them every little detail that I want or just give them a loose idea and let them go to town? 

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 12:57:59 am »
Oh ya one more question. What do you think of different art in each side vs mirroring the art on the sides?  My tendency is to have a hero on the left and a villain on the right. Do you prefer the same art mirrored on both sides?

TheGreatRedDragon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 12:40:53 pm
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 06:05:15 am »
I think that Megaman piece could work alright.

As for matching/different sideart, the way I see it it's impossible to see both sides at the same time without a mirror so clashes wouldn't be glaringly apparent the way a marquee or CPO can clash with sideart.

Personally I can go either way. On the art project I've posted here I've got two different pieces for the sideart but I've made an effort to match them, so they're two variations of a theme rather than two totally different pieces of art. And if you're doing a Street Fighter/Mega Man crossover it really calls for two different pieces.

There are a few Bengus-drawn Mega Man pieces out there that would match up with his Street Fighter art, maybe you could use that?

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 06:46:39 am »
Personally I would go with a vilian. I don't quite like mash-ups.

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 08:33:38 am »
I think that Megaman piece could work alright.

As for matching/different sideart, the way I see it it's impossible to see both sides at the same time without a mirror so clashes wouldn't be glaringly apparent the way a marquee or CPO can clash with sideart.

Personally I can go either way. On the art project I've posted here I've got two different pieces for the sideart but I've made an effort to match them, so they're two variations of a theme rather than two totally different pieces of art. And if you're doing a Street Fighter/Mega Man crossover it really calls for two different pieces.

There are a few Bengus-drawn Mega Man pieces out there that would match up with his Street Fighter art, maybe you could use that?
This makes so much sense. Thanks a lot!  And I didn’t know about Bengus. A quick google search and I love what I’m seeing. Going with the 8-bit pixel style was my attempt at creating a consistent design. I think putting some of these bengus pieces together would be a great way of keeping the theme consistent but making the art much flashier and higher quality.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 08:38:37 am »
Hire an artist. They can draw what you want. They don't have to cookie cutter a bunch of other people's art together. An artist can create a cohesive art package.

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 09:48:56 am »
Hire an artist. They can draw what you want. They don't have to cookie cutter a bunch of other people's art together. An artist can create a cohesive art package.
I’m with you man. I’m like 99% sure this is what I’ll end up doing. At this point I’m trying to figure out what my request would even look like. Are you an artist or have you ever hired an artist?  How much detail do you think I should provide in my request?  Like (a) I want street fighter x mega man art and I want it to be awesome or (b) I want this style of mega man on one side and that style or ryu and Chun li on the other side and I want this and that...  is (b) too much and potentially even offensive to an artist who already knows what to do or is (a) too vague?  My personality is like...I’m very linear thinking so I would want all the details spelled out but I have a feeling an artist would be different. Any other tips on how to go about hiring an artist to do this for me? 

Thanks again for the feedback!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 09:57:12 am »
Sure. I can do it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 10:57:48 am »
I’m afraid to ask what that darker shadow is at the bottom of the image  :laugh2:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 11:06:10 am »
Now see I am supposed to be the uncouth barbarian here. I am glad that the converging shadows of my smartphone excite you. ;D

That would be a pretty innovative theme for a cab.

Mega Man XXX
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:08:26 am by Mike A »

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 12:44:11 pm »
I just see what I see. I don’t know how I see it!  Lol...

But Seriously how much detail would you expect to give somebody in the request for art. I guess my hesitation on reaching out to an artist is that I won’t communicate clearly what I want and I won’t like the result. At the same time I don’t want to annoy them with too much nit picky details or ruin their creativity by over specifying what I want.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 12:48:16 pm »
They will know better than you or me. Just ask.

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 12:49:00 pm »
Sounds good. Thanks again

TheGreatRedDragon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 12:40:53 pm
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 08:14:48 am »
I’m with you man. I’m like 99% sure this is what I’ll end up doing. At this point I’m trying to figure out what my request would even look like. Are you an artist or have you ever hired an artist?  How much detail do you think I should provide in my request?  Like (a) I want street fighter x mega man art and I want it to be awesome or (b) I want this style of mega man on one side and that style or ryu and Chun li on the other side and I want this and that...  is (b) too much and potentially even offensive to an artist who already knows what to do or is (a) too vague?  My personality is like...I’m very linear thinking so I would want all the details spelled out but I have a feeling an artist would be different. Any other tips on how to go about hiring an artist to do this for me? 

It depends on what you're hiring the artist for.

Are you hiring a creative person who can visualize and realize the perfect design for your machine?

Or are you just hiring a technician to render your own vision?

The guy who has done it a thousand times will almost always have a better design sense than the guy hiring him. He already knows what looks good, what pitfalls to avoid, what won't work, etc. So the key is to be flexible, because the artist's input will be informed by experience. Ultimately it's up to you, but if you're building a house and the guy who owns it keeps asking you to do things you know aren't going to work it's a frustrating experience.

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 02:13:31 pm »

It depends on what you're hiring the artist for.

Are you hiring a creative person who can visualize and realize the perfect design for your machine?

Or are you just hiring a technician to render your own vision?

The guy who has done it a thousand times will almost always have a better design sense than the guy hiring him. He already knows what looks good, what pitfalls to avoid, what won't work, etc. So the key is to be flexible, because the artist's input will be informed by experience. Ultimately it's up to you, but if you're building a house and the guy who owns it keeps asking you to do things you know aren't going to work it's a frustrating experience.

Thanks that makes perfect sense and the more I think about it...how could it be any other way?  Thanks for helping me through these ideas!

nintendoid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2024, 03:49:20 pm
    • Nintendoid
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2018, 06:07:54 am »
for me.. I would build from this design... have MegaMan still in the picture but change the boss robots with similar style drawn Street Fighter characters... also the logo would need to be changed.

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 02:33:16 pm »
Thanks, Nintendoid!  Yes, I love that one by Wyo, so cool!

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 02:39:26 pm »
OK, so what do you guys think of this as my request for art?  I think I'm obsessing at this point so I need some help to see if I'm going in the right direction.  Appreciate any feedback!  I'm planning to send this to snaaake to get his take on it but want to see if anyone thinks this won't work well before hand. 

#1, am I asking too much?  Too much detail in the request?  Any concerns with how the request is put together? 
#2, do you think the request will result in a good final product?  Is what I'm asking for going to look good? 

Overall Theme (Game)
Street Fighter X Mega Man
https://cdn.download-free-games.com/cf/images/nfe/screens/street-fighter-x-mega-man_2_m.jpg

Overall Theme (Colors)
Dark Blue, Light Blue, Black
Mega Man-esque electrical grid background
Something like these
https://img00.deviantart.net/f701/i/2012/335/e/6/megaman_starforce_wallpaper_by_samanthathresa-d5mrvl6.png
https://static.zerochan.net/Megaman.Starforce.3.full.255272.jpg
https://img00.deviantart.net/dcd4/i/2015/125/2/f/ryusei_no_rockman_by_risuhunter-d1p93fj.jpg
http://wallpaperen.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/luxury-mega-man-wallpaper-hd-mega-man-1-10-ost-all-robot-master-stage-themes-youtube-mega-man-wallpaper-hd.jpg

Mega Man Source Images I'd like to come from Mega Man Powered Up - they are cartoony and I hope they will match up with the street fighter source images from pocket/gem figther
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/megaman/images/0/0f/Rockman_Rockman_Art_01.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110426190424
https://banner2.kisspng.com/20180401/ycq/kisspng-mega-man-powered-up-mega-man-3-mega-man-x-mega-man-megaman-5ac09ba8178077.8089140815225722000963.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6e/80/34/6e803424135ce74a2d3098e6b7a2f0b4.png

Street Fighter Source Images I'd like to come from Pocket Fighter or Super Gem Fighter and hopefully they would match up well with Mega Man Powered Up images
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Vztx1KHYDfM/hqdefault.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1FDKwXoFfcE/hqdefault.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/e4-tAUJhGZ8/maxresdefault.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bog5eIouGYI/maxresdefault.jpg
https://www.fightersgeneration.com/np5/gm/pocket-s1.jpg

Do you think these cartoony images would work well together? 

Left and Right Sides
Mirrored on both sides
No logo at the top
Mega man in the middle
Street fighter characters chasing behind
Something like this but with the street fighter characters instead of the mega man ones
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/megaman/images/0/0f/Rockman_Rockman_Art_01.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110426190424

Marquee
Street Fighter X Mega Man Logo
Mega Man vs Akuma
Similar to this but with Mega Man and Akuma
http://www.pctechauthority.com/flash-game-stills/pocket-fighter-game-start-screen.png

Control Panel
No character images
Continue the Mega Man-esque electrical grid background them here
Button and joystick layouts
8 way arrows indicate 8 way joysticks for P1 and P2
4 way arrows indicate 4 way joysticks for the dedicated 4 way stick in the middle
Something like these
https://orig00.deviantart.net/ff49/f/2007/276/c/a/mame_large_control_panel_by_dmatanski.jpg
https://img00.deviantart.net/f471/i/2010/188/3/b/mame_control_panel_overlay_art_by_darkaz.jpg

Bezel, CP Kick Plate, Front Kick Plate
Continue the electrical grid background to tie it together?

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
Re: Final Boss Cabinet Design
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2018, 07:03:18 pm »
Thanks to the feedback in this thread, I started perusing deviant art and found this artist:
https://www.deviantart.com/anggatantama/art/The-Final-Boss-709307320

I abandoned my street fighter x mega man theme because I liked his Final Boss artwork so much.  I'm trying to get in touch with him to get a higher resolution version so that I can use it for my cabinet art but I've mocked up some stuff.  What do you guys think?

I want to ask for the artist to help me with some textures in the black parts of the marquee, similar to the purple blobs behind the dragon/bowser.  I think I need some work on getting the text for the marquee laid out just right too.  SOmething seems a bit off with it. 

Any thoughts on the control panel?  I see now the stroke lines around the joysticks look funny being so much thinner than the lines around the buttons so I plan to fatten up the stroke on the joystick lines. 

Any thoughts on the sides?  Initially I had the image scaled way down so it almost entirely fit on the side but that left a ton of black space at the top and bottom.  Does it look weird to you guys that the bowser head is cut off? 

Any criticism?  Any suggestion on button colors?