Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 49 way joystick to 8 way joystick  (Read 2084 times)

Sirgubster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2019, 06:00:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
49 way joystick to 8 way joystick
« on: July 09, 2018, 07:17:16 pm »
Have a blitz 99 arcade cabinet and Im looking to have it be 8 way joysticks instead of what it is now which is 49 way joysticks.  How do I go about making that change?  is there a tutorial anywhere?  Mine is 4 player and I have no idea what wires to remove and what to splice in.  I hear people talking about having a 8 way joystick blitz machine, but nobody ever says how they made that happen.  any help?

Sirgubster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2019, 06:00:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: 49 way joystick to 8 way joystick
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 05:47:48 pm »
any help from anyone on this?

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 10:23:56 pm »
any help from anyone on this?

Look up the wiring schematics for it, there will be all the information you need, if you can't read that then nothing in a messageboard post is going to help you. Not sure why you would want to downgrade the sticks anyway. Not like you are playing much anything else in the Blitz cabinet with that medium resolution monitor.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 07:56:29 am »
I was reading up on this last night.  sir gubster I have attached a link to the manual here. 

paigeoliver or anyone with better knowledge on the subject correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm reading the manual correctly don't the dip switches also need to be changed as referenced on page 32 of the pdf?  ie Dip Switch 2 (U8) Switch 1 needs to go from the on to off position?  Along with changing settings in the menu system referenced on page 25?

Gubster also reference page 10 of the pdf where Williams calls out game play modification in number 12 stating "Standard 8 way joysticks may be used with this kit if desired...However, the game will not have the same fine control of character motion and speed when using standard joysticks."

Good luck Gubster.  Still trying to figure out why you need to go from 49 down to 8.  From what I read you just need to upgrade the sticks as many people thought they were junk.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:15:08 am by jdbailey1206 »

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:49:54 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 01:47:10 pm »

Are the 49-way sticks shot?  That's the only reason I could see someone wanting to do this.

If the rubber centering spiders are bad, I happen to have some NOS ones.  They aren't cheap, but they are probably the last ones in existence :)