Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Suzo Happ Competition Sticks with dead zone issue  (Read 2141 times)

Dal1980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 07:20:21 am
  • Load "1980"
    • retro.zombiesbyte.com/projects
    • Retro Zombies Byte
Suzo Happ Competition Sticks with dead zone issue
« on: July 11, 2018, 10:32:24 pm »
Hey guys

So I've put probably 20-30 hours in on P1 side of my Suzo Happ Competition stick (P2 doesn't get used that much... friend request anyone :dunno  :lol)

I've been kind of disappointed with some games such as street fighter II which is one of my favs. I like to Play Ryu or Ken and this causes massive issues which I'll try and explain now.

Image attached

When I begin to shift for a fireball for example. I start with down and move in an arc and finish on forwards (right). When I try this I get a hit and miss result (probably at most 50% success). When I try a Dragon Punch, so right then down and through the arc back to right again I very rarely complete this move (probably less than 10% success). It does seem to improve if I use player 2 stick but only slightly although that may just be my perception.

The results of what I have mapped out in the attached image below are gathered from the Ultimarc Interactive Panel Designer which allows me to see the registration of the input (I think there's a way to set this off in MSDOS too but haven't looked at that). The way this works I believe is by showing the last recorded switched input. So Going from Down to Right on the diagonal will not report both key presses but rather the last one registered. This is fine for what I was trying to diagnose.

As another example of the control issue is Metal Slug 1. There's a part on the first or second stage that has electric fences that you need to crawl under. So holding down and right, one would expect the character to crawl right however because of this dead zone issue the player goes from crawling position to standing if the stick is not held at the lower or upper end of the diagonal to avoid the dead zone.

I would also like to point out that this dead zone appears on all diagonals on both P1 and P2 sides.

Link to the sticks I have: https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/Happ-Competition-Arcade-Joystick.html
Cleaning all contacts - No difference
Swapped around MicroSwitches (Some P2 with P1 and then swapped top and left with bottom and right) - No difference
I'm using a MiniPac 2013 stock (FYI: New version came out in 2015 which firmware is not compatible with this board)

I was wondering if this is something that is a common issue or if it's a defect (although both sticks suffer it)

Also, as it sounds like a replacement may be in order, what are your recommendations for fight sticks (Street Fighter II)?

Many thanks
Dal1980
I'm on my last life, best not try anything stupid

-> Check out my other projects at http://retro.zombiesbyte.com/projects

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re: Suzo Happ Competition Sticks with dead zone issue
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 12:45:50 am »
Turn your actuators over, they are upside down.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Dal1980

• Offline Offline
  • Load "1980"
    • Retro Zombies Byte
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 09:21:53 am »
Thanks paigeoliver

I'm just a little (okay, a lot) confused by what you're asking me to do.  :embarassed:

I had to google "actuator" because I wasn't sure what part I was supposed to be turning over. I still don't think I'm any clearer on which part that "actuator" is so I've taken some pics and also shown that the switches can't be turned over due to their screw hole placements.

If the thing in the middle with the C-clip holding the block is the actuator then turning the block over would surely be exactly the same (if not worse) than before.

This is why I should never be left alone :blowup: :scared :hissy:

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 09:46:18 am »
The actuator is the square block in the centre.

Make sure the stick is pushed all the way through as that actuator looks a little high?

There should be no play in that actuator so when you push the stick it should depress the microswitch.

Dal1980

• Offline Offline
  • Load "1980"
    • Retro Zombies Byte
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 10:27:55 am »
Thanks Titchgamer

I've taken off the C-Clip to check if I can get this down any further and have a look at turning this over too.

The turning it over became quickly apparent that that was going to be impossible. The way this thing works is has a small head so that it can't fall past a certain point. That means turning it over doesn't even make it possible to reach the switches.

I tried pushing down on the stick to see if I could reach another groove. Although this is sprung there isn't much play in it (stick) but the 'boss' (I don't know if that the correct term) that the stick slides into also is where the spring comes from. Much like the square actuator on the top has a shaped moulding to stop the actuator from falling past a certain point stops this actually being any tighter anyway. Even if I found washers to adjust the spring of the stick to the point where it doesn't have any play the actuator is still pinned to the plastic and can spin quite freely given that the C-Clip is pinned under load against the boss and only slightly touches the actuator if that makes sense.

I hope the pictures illustrate what I'm trying to explain.

FYI the furthest to the bottom groove in the stick is the one that is being used. I can't reach any others with or without that spacer on the stick.

Dal1980

• Offline Offline
  • Load "1980"
    • Retro Zombies Byte
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 10:28:35 am »
Sorry couldn't post them all in one post so here are the other two images

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 10:47:00 am »
How thick is your CP?

You should be able to push the actuator down to get the C-clip on nice and tight unless its maybe 3/4" then it will probably be to thick.

If your actuator can freely move up and down the shaft theirs the problem! Push the actuator down more while holding the stick firmly and try again, Sometime a 2nd pair of hands can help!

Dal1980

• Offline Offline
  • Load "1980"
    • Retro Zombies Byte
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 11:22:52 am »
My CP is 12mm MDF

If I push down I hit the end of the pipe leading out of the hole (which I referred to as the boss before). This still does not allow the actuator to touch the base plate of the bottom of the housing.

Here's an illustration that might help.

EDIT: Forgot to say, this illustration does not include the CP. The green lines show the top and bottom casing of the joystick unit. I have guessed as to what the internals look like between these lines.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 02:00:12 pm »
Seems like they have changed the design slightly from the ones I have had. I still think it isn't put together right.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.