Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Neogeo cdz won't display screen on GMAME haynor666 v0.197  (Read 7117 times)

filevans

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2023, 12:00:22 pm
Neogeo cdz won't display screen on GMAME haynor666 v0.197
« on: July 09, 2018, 07:54:19 am »
Hello all

Neogeo cdz starts with just one single yellow line at top of screen. (Just checked it is haynor666 version that does this, working fine on standard groovyMAME)

I only switched to the haynor version to resolve neogeo width, but you try and fix one thing and it breaks something else
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 12:00:31 pm by filevans »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: Neogeo cdz won't display screen on GMAME
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 10:13:12 am »
It is working OK on mess,

What MESS version? Have you tried with baseline MAME, same version as GM's?
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

filevans

• Offline Offline
Re: Neogeo cdz won't display screen on GMAME
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:30:45 am »
Just edited main post, only haynor666 version not working
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 12:01:53 pm by filevans »

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
Re: Neogeo cdz won't display screen on GMAME haynor666 v0.197
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 07:18:48 am »
My version has modification imported from ARCADE32/64. Basically there is implemented sprite hack (this will be probably problem), some resolutions are changed but only for neogeo.cpp which means that neogeocd.cpp and neopcb.cpp are not modified. What about my test version 198 ?

filevans

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 07:22:11 am »
Why not include link in post to save me looking around for it? I want to use one version of mame not 2. Now I've got to use groovyMAME for everything and your version for neogeo games, not a massive problem but just wish people would make things that work properly, instead of fixing one thing and breaking another

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 07:26:26 am »
Time to ask your money back my friend.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

filevans

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 07:31:08 am »
fix it so it works properly and it's user friendly and I'll make a donation

Should just be an option in groovyMAME to use neogeo modified widths. So don't have to stretch all the individual games, that would be an easy thing to add, and user can have that option on or off. No need for using multiple mames then.

In the old days it would be 1 game per monitor, so stretching just once is easy (analogue quick and simple) and just would be left like that, but when you're using one screen for multiple games, you want the screen to fill up and not have unnecessary borders each side don't you?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:33:56 am by filevans »

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 07:35:19 am »
filevans, that's a mame - You will NOT find perfect version for everything. Please try first ARCADe32/64 - http://www.1emulation.com/forums/forum/127-arcade/ and see if have the same problem. If yes, post bug report. I'm only importing hack from ARCADE32/64 with very little analisis because I trust Robbert and MameSick in what they did in ARCADE32/64.

ARCADE32/64 and my build does not need stretch thanks to modified resolutions for each game. Sadly this part cannot be applied into cdz like like that because it's one single driver where You are selecting game but mame does not know which one unlike in neogeo main driver.

Of course ARCADE32/64 have also my personal modifications but those I'm monitoring from time to time.

PS. Test build is at http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,154799.msg1654718.html#msg1654718 and I'm NOT planning releasing test build for 199

filevans

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 07:39:19 am »
Mame 106 plus did me proud for years but won't work in windows 7 so have had to try and find something else. I don't like the way groovyMAME forces you to use range lines and if you don't get it exactly right it doesn't work properly. And can't just force what resolution you want like normal mame. Can't use normal mame either as get a frame jerk every few seconds. So nothing works simply and easily like 106 plus did

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 07:53:40 am »
I'd suggest to switch to another hobby, aquariums are not too hard once you figure out pH and ammonia.
Steps to create a log:

filevans

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 08:02:04 am »
And maybe you a politician? Over complicating things that could be simple and straight forward (eg. Can't even choose a resolution I want like in other versions of mame without worrying about adding a complicated series of range lines which are hard to fathom)

I've enjoyed setting a my other emulators up on windows 7 apart from groovyMAME, I can't get things working like normal mame. Maybe do you know of a more traditional mame that has smoother scrolling?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 08:12:59 am by filevans »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 08:23:07 am »
Everything you've asked for can indeed be done in GM, it's just not done the way you're used to or expect, and you don't want to lower yourself to learn. It's obvious for anyone that has been following your threads.

GM does not work with resolutions, it works with video modes. Those ranges are the most simplified way we've come up with to deal with a very complex problem, without any compromises. They're not the result of improvisation. No other software, read again: no other software has ever been written to deal with that problem.
Steps to create a log:

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 08:43:12 am »
Time to ask your money back my friend.

:cheers:

Just wanted to chime in that I appreciate all the work you put into GroovyMAME.  Thanks Calamity.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 09:13:37 am »
I hate it when people don't cater to my every whim for free. Other people are so selfish.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 11:52:31 am »
That's flustration simply. I can understand filevans. I'm sure after some readings, time spent on configuration he will understand more and calm down. My first experience with GM wasn't easy either because I use to work with standard mame on LCD screen which is easier experience.

I think the most generic/simple configuration is actually possible only with 2 mins. spent but to create custom modelines for a combination driver,game it is time eater. That's why most people prefer set TV/monitor every game rather tuning GM futher.

I think just super resolution combined combined optionally with frame_delay and PortAudio are much better option here than official mame for us - CRT users.

filevans

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 01:28:38 pm »

Everything you've asked for can indeed be done in GM, it's just not done the way you're used to or expect, and you don't want to lower yourself to learn. It's obvious for anyone that has been following your threads.

GM does not work with resolutions, it works with video modes. Those ranges are the most simplified way we've come up with to deal with a very complex problem, without any compromises. They're not the result of improvisation. No other software, read again: no other software has ever been written to deal with that problem.

Having to spend almost every day on a forum is completely irrelevant to the hobby itself. I enjoy the hobby does not mean I enjoy being here constantly. And haynor666 understands straight away "frustration", so why don't you show some sympathy instead of judging and being sarcastic?  Just because I don't understand how to set up extra range lines doesn't mean I don't want to learn, it just means I don't understand how to do it very well. And I asked you to look at my range lines and try to correct them  or to help me modify them, which you haven't done. It is frustrating to have a massive list of arcade games that won't even launch isn't it?  When I have been using 106 for years with no problem. And now I've gone to windows 7 I can't use that anymore.

I am perfectly cable of setting up any modeline with the exact refresh rate the game needs. Which I've done on normal mame. But with groovyMAME it seems not possible to just use your own mode line. I understand why a range line is better but sometimes while you're learning you would like a make-do option so you can at least play the games. GroovyMAME is either one way or no way and if you struggle with it you have to spend every day here and to be judged and mocked
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:35:34 pm by filevans »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 02:15:57 pm »
You're only being judged by your condescending attitude, to me and to other users that have spent time trying to solve your issues. Your way of addressing others squeaks in this forum. What you should wonder is how other people are using GM succesfully.

You don't even read the posts we write for you. E.g. yesterday I said your ranges were ok, the problem was the -interlace option was disabled. Have you even tried that?

I am perfectly cable of setting up any modeline with the exact refresh rate the game needs. Which I've done on normal mame. But with groovyMAME it seems not possible to just use your own mode line

GM has an option named -modeline, that accepts just that: a raw modeline, bypassing all crt ranges and everything. So yes, it's possible. Use it my friend.

Steps to create a log:

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 03:43:47 pm »
I think Calamity that many users does not fully utilize GM capabillities. Like I mentioned previously - creating custom modelines isn't that hard but takes time. This required a lot of patience which right now filevans does not have.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 04:42:06 pm »
I think Calamity that many users does not fully utilize GM capabillities. Like I mentioned previously - creating custom modelines isn't that hard but takes time. This required a lot of patience which right now filevans does not have.

The very purpose of GM is NOT having to create custom modelines. Custom modelines was what we had to do before (Powerstrip, Soft-15khz, Winmodelines).

Haynor, it's naive on your part trying to steer Filevans' rant into a valid constructive debate.

Steps to create a log:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 06:39:41 pm »
Calamity, I'll pay you to ignore that ---meecrob--- canoe.  PM me your paypal.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 06:54:54 pm »
that would be an easy thing to add, and user can have that option on or off.
You're welcome to fix it yourself and share that with others, just as haynor has done.

We don't mind you asking for help, it's HOW you do it that's the issue.
by coming in here and demanding it be fixed, and belittling those who have poured countless unpaid hours into this project is very poor form, and won't be appreciated, and won't get you anywhere.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 07:44:02 am by Sledge »

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 07:08:37 pm »
Calamity, I'll pay you to ignore that ---meecrob--- canoe.  PM me your paypal.

It's on Eiusdemmodi - http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=36

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 10:30:58 pm »
The very purpose of GM is NOT having to create custom modelines. Custom modelines was what we had to do before (Powerstrip, Soft-15khz, Winmodelines).

Exactly.  I'm not sure what the problem is here.  GroovyMAME should be fairly plug-and-play when using super resolutions.

Is it possible that he doesn't have the right monitor presets for his hardware?
Or is trying to accommodate other emulators that don't support super resolutions causing problems?
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 11:51:59 am »

Yes, I know. Without custom modelines everything works great but custom modelines means less tweaking service menu on TV or arcade monitor.

Haynor, it's naive on your part trying to steer Filevans' rant into a valid constructive debate.

Heh, maybe. GM in my opinion is the best solution for CRT users and he will eventually stay with GM. Too bad that consoles/computers part of mame is not that good as standalone emulators from other devs but I guess this will change in time.Right now many people are forced to use other emus sometimes not to friendly to native resolutions or simply too old to use on modern systems.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 12:54:41 pm »

"You've donated $XX.XX USD to
estudio@antonioginer.com"

Thanks, I sent him some cash.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 01:13:31 pm »

"You've donated $XX.XX USD to
estudio@antonioginer.com"

Thanks, I sent him some cash.

I kicked in some money too. It is my penance for the last couple days.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 04:48:28 pm »
Thanks guys, it's an unexpected nice ending for this surreal thread.
Steps to create a log:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 06:15:46 pm »
I kicked in some money too. It is my penance for the last couple days.
Next time just say I hacked your account. Everyone will believe you.

Ive never used GroovyMAME, probably never will. But Ive seen you on these boards for years helping people and asking nothing in return. Both GM and you are an asset to this community and I just wanted to express my gratitude for having you around. Sadly there are a lot of members with similar attitudes to the one displayed in this thread. Despite that, you tried to help and that makes you a much better person than me.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:18:30 pm by Malenko »

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 09:02:00 pm »

---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- hasn't gotten this perverse on the forum since the time maiki came out of nowhere to give us all a free education.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 12:44:17 am »
---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- hasn't gotten this perverse on the forum since the time maiki came out of nowhere to give us all a free education.

I like that you had that bookmarked ready to go.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2018, 02:14:33 pm »

I hate that you didn't disable the word censor.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2018, 08:06:06 pm »

Oooh, how do you do that?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2018, 10:40:48 pm »
Oooh, how do you do that?
Profile.... (then see attached)

Calamity got some spending money and you can see me cuss; most productive thread in a while!

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2018, 04:34:28 am »

I hate it that some people act like ---uvulas--- and give Calamity ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- but I love it that his software is so ---smurfing--- amazing and that he now has another $20 for beer (or fish food).
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2018, 10:51:46 pm »

I don’t understand nor utilize all of  groovymame’s features. Fortunately, I followed the guide to install and shlt just works. But I had this one issue where I installed groovymame, rebooted, and it didn’t work anymore because I forgot to apply power to the monitor. Calamity wont give me a partial refund. :dunno :lol

Diogo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 07:29:04 pm
  • Learn a little every day ....
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2018, 06:30:44 pm »
Hi everyone, I do not understand English (I'm Brazilian) ... sometimes I go here and I try to read to keep myself updated and see how things are going ... I was reading this topic that brings together a lot of people who helped me with my doubts ... and I would like to thank you all once again especially buttersoft and Calamity because I have groovymame installed in my replica MK1 cabinet ... here in Brazil you do not hear much talk in groovymame ... I pointed it out to one friend here and he almost fell over after seeing this marvel that is the groovymame ... if possible I would ask to add me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100023850097178 (have some photos there) sorry for anything ... hugs.

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2018, 03:26:36 am »
my replica MK1 cabinet
You should get your face put on the cabinet over the top of Johnny Cages face..
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 07:42:16 pm by Sledge »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2018, 07:23:47 am »
Johnny Cage