Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Backup SD Card image  (Read 3144 times)

ajmartin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2018, 08:00:50 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Backup SD Card image
« on: July 08, 2018, 01:38:08 pm »
Hello,

I used win32 disk writer to back up my retropie image once I had it the way I wanted it.  So after I trashed the original by screwing around with settings, I copied the backup to another SD card. But now my backup will not boot.  Any idea how I should have made a boot-able backup? and is there something I can add to my backup SD card to make it boot retropie.

Thanks,

Alan

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Backup SD Card image
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 01:50:03 pm »
Sure its not corrupted or anything? It should boot from a SD back up no problem.

ajmartin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2018, 08:00:50 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 02:53:21 pm »
Well that is what I thought.  I even used SDFormatter  to wipe it out, then copied it down again and retried. This is what I did just to be clear. I took the SD card out of the PI and put in in the PC, I used win32diskimager to copy it to a folder . That made my back up. Then when I needed the backup I used win32 again to copy from the saved location to the SD card.  Win32 did not see the file as an .img file though so I was skeptical from the start. I did not see any other options besides what I did.  I ended up copying the original retropie 4.4 image back to that card and started over. Luckily I had just figured out how to use FileZilla so getting the roms sorted was easier.

johnm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 03:05:24 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 07:25:50 pm »

Win32diskimager doesn't save it with the file extension, just rename and add .img to the end

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 06:35:45 am »

Win32diskimager doesn't save it with the file extension, just rename and add .img to the end

Yup, This is probably your problem if win32 did not see it.