Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ATOM-15 with UEFI BIOS  (Read 1953 times)

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
ATOM-15 with UEFI BIOS
« on: July 07, 2018, 04:28:43 pm »
I have an ASUS Z87M-PLUS motherboard with a UEFI BIOS.
I have a Radeon HD 7750 (1st generation GCN) card.

I'm using a JPAC, so I don't really *need* to use ATOM-15 but it does look nice when the screen isn't all scrambled during the boot before Windows kicks in.

ATOM-15 worked for the motherboard splash screen and text screen, but when I enter the BIOS, it only shows the upper left (640x480 ?) corner of what I presume is a 1024x768 graphical BIOS interface.

I'm actually surprised it showed anything at all.  Since the BIOS UI supports a mouse, I really wish they would implement a feature like the early ArcadeVGA cards would do on Windows XP and 200 with a 1024x768 "auto-pan" mode.

I ran into a little trouble because getting my motherboard to boot from a USB drive is tricky.  I haven't figured out how to do it without going into the BIOS and clicking "Boot Override".  The first time booting from USB before flashing the card wasn't a problem, but after I had the ATOM-15 modded bios installed, I tried to boot from the USB again to flash it back to the original un-modded BIOS.  It took me a while to figure out how to navigate what little I could see of the UEFI BIOS screen to get back to the "Boot Override" button again.  Luckily, I was able to get to it.  If not, I think I would have been screwed.   I probably could have un-plugged all of my hard drives.  I assume it would default to booting from the USB in that situation.

Even though it worked, I still haven't decided for sure if I want to use ATOM-15 or not.

I tried replacing the default "ASUS Logo" BIOS splash screen with a plain black image, but it still shows the text at the bottom telling you to hit DEL or F2.  I don't think it can be easily disabled/hidden.   On my last PC in my arcade cabinet, I modded the BIOS with a tool I found online and removed that string.  I'm not sure that would be possible with this new board.

I thought about replacing the BIOS splash screen with something arcade themed, but it really only shows for a few seconds, so I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

What are you guys doing?
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: ATOM-15 with UEFI BIOS
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 06:52:21 pm »
I use hibernate, so I won’t get the boot screen.