Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I am a complete idiot (Daytona Championship related)  (Read 6801 times)

MrThunderwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:30:55 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
I am a complete idiot (Daytona Championship related)
« on: July 07, 2018, 08:12:12 am »
Hey Dudes.

I did a very stupid thing yesterday, I was trying to run the original Windows 95 version of Daytona USA on my PC, totally forgetting when it asked about where to install the game folder that I already had a folder called Daytona in a folder called Sega on the root of the C: drive and the Windows 95 version wrote over it and deleted my Daytona USA Championship folder; no warning, no two lots of files in the same folder, no files in the Recycle Bin, just, BAM! gone...  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: FFS.... I realised what I'd done literally a split-second after I clicked install and had one of those movie slow motion 'NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!' moments. Idiot.

Luckily I remembered I had a back-up of the game on an external drive which I thought was a mirror of the version I accidentally erased. The long and the short of it is that I transferred the game across and got it working again, but for some reason I seem to have lost FFB in the process. The smart money would suggest that I'm using an old version of Howard's launcher, but it's Launcher 3.3 which I'm 99.9% certain supported FFB and was the one I'd been using previously before the erase, so it should have the correct Hex edited EXE et cetera. FFB is ticked in x360ce.

Can anyone think of anything glaringly obvious that I might've missed, before I start trying to track down new launchers and FFB enabling tutorials? I've noticed when I run the game now it makes a couple of 'Windows isn't happy about something' type dings before starting, which I seem to recall from older versions of running the game, but I'm fairly certain stopped in the most up-to-date version I was running (or maybe not and I just became oblivious to them...).

I'm not super familiar with x360ce, so I don't know if there's something else I need to do there (although the config shouldn't be any different to how I had it before). It's been so long since I got it set-up in the first place I really can't remember all the steps.

I don't know if this makes any difference, but I'm now having to launch the game from a different location (I've changed the path in x360ce to the new correct launcher location). For whatever reason I wasn't able to launch the game from the previous Sega folder on the C: drive when I transferred the Daytona folder from the external drive in there - it would open a window and then immediately close (I think I originally only had it in the root of the C: drive because when the game first got released it needed to be in that location in order to work). I thought it might be an antivirus issue, so deleted the folder, made a new one, added it to the anti-virus exceptions, re-transferred the folder from the other drive, but still no dice, even in Admin mode. I should have full permission and ownership of everything in there. Weirdly, the exact same folder works just fine from the folder I normally keep all my other games in on the desktop. This is all probably totally irrelevant, but I thought I'd just mention it anyway...

The final kick in the nuts, is that after causing all this hassle, the bastard Windows 95 version didn't even have the common courtesy to work. What a dick.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 08:23:51 am by MrThunderwing »

ResurrectionHQ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2022, 08:39:50 am
  • I don't need useless and obvious info.
Re: I am a complete idiot (Daytona Championship related)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 12:25:24 pm »
If I recall from my Daytona USA 3 setup, the game run just fine without it has to be EXCLUSIVELY on C:/ Drive. I have my Daytona USA 3 in a folder, in a folder, i the D: Drive and not C:, but it just run completely fine.

With the situation of x360ce, that thingy is just a virtual xbox360 pad. Configuration of it doesn't really matters much as long as you would have everything (by everything I mean X360CE installation files and configs) stays consistent through the whole setup. Otherwise, it is not actually necessary to do much about that program except for just binding the axis and stuff to your steering wheel and such, since the hex editing itself has the control hard-coded as Xinput.

AND as for the FFB enable thing, I wouldn't really worry to much about it (unless it is a rather wacky version of Windows that you run on, please specify so that I could do some testing). Just have the launcher that would run the game consistently would do the trick. Most of the other errors like the Networking and stuff like that it's actually in the gamefiles in the GameData folder though, not actually the Hex patch itself (I would assume that you know this already).

Just be on a lookout for launcher updates, but make sure that it fixes stuff, not like adding on stuff like that.

EDIT 1: Running the game on a different location from C: requires that you have the initial setup to be on that specific location, either on the C: drive different folder or another drive entirely. I have modified my version to be portable, meaning that I could just copy stuff back and forth between computers to play the game and it works perfectly well. If you want that, I could help you out.

EDIT 2: The FFB situation of launchers is still unable to get it working consistently. The launcher I use have FFB at seemingly random, but for most of the time, is not even there.

EDIT 3: Oh, I found out a way to have the amount of laps on the game the same as the classics. If you prefer that, I can help you out (but I would also assume that you maybe know about this already).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 12:31:20 pm by ResurrectionHQ »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 06:52:45 am »
Cheers. Yeah, I'm just running the game directly from my games folder now (it also launched directly from the external drive without issues too - this is on Windows 7 Home Premium). Everything works just fine with the wheel in terms of the brake and gas axes and the X axis is absolutely spot-on in terms of the deadzone (I had a brief panic when I first loaded the game up and couldn't select anything, before realising that in my discombobulated state - I'd had about 3 hours sleep the night before - I'd forgotten to plug the pedals into the wheel. Herp derp  :dizzy:). I can also navigate through the menu's with the wheel rather than the keyboard. It's just the FFB that isn't there. I hadn't previously had any issues with it being intermittent or anything, it used to always consistently work whenever I fired the game up, so no idea why it's not working now  :dunno

I'd be interested in how to change the number of laps, that was a thing I'd meant to ask about on the old thread about this game before it got shut down.

Also, anyone know what those Windows dings are about when the game starts? I don't think they're of any relevance, but I'm like 99% sure the game had stopped doing that when I played it before Windows-95-gate (I'm hoping my idiocy here will at least help any of you chaps from making a similarly stupid mistake, in the highly unlikely event your're trying to run a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- Windows 95 version of Daytona USA and have a cracked 2017 arcade game of the same name on the root of your C: drive  :angry:)

clos2345

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2022, 08:29:38 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:16:53 pm »
I think the beep has to do with x360ce. In the options tab, there is a check box that says "Use Init Beep". If my wheel and shifter are plugged in then I get one beep.  If I have something unplugged I get continuous beeping and the game doesn't load.

ResurrectionHQ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2022, 08:39:50 am
  • I don't need useless and obvious info.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 07:37:42 am »

I'd be interested in how to change the number of laps, that was a thing I'd meant to ask about on the old thread about this game before it got shut down.

if you use discord or something maybe I can contact, because writing the steps of stuff one by one will be a hassle in here. There are still more stuff to be discovered in the bunch of the game files, so... yeah.
I'll be sure to help you out.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 01:23:29 pm »
I think the beep has to do with x360ce. In the options tab, there is a check box that says "Use Init Beep". If my wheel and shifter are plugged in then I get one beep.  If I have something unplugged I get continuous beeping and the game doesn't load.

Ah, I'll look into that next time I fire the game up. I've found a new launcher and instructions on how to patch the game's EXE (again) using ppf-o-matic, which also has the added advantage of 'Gear shifts never miss' which used to happen occasionally with the old version I was using. Haven't got around to actually trying it out at the moment, we're in the middle of a heatwave in the UK at the moment and I really can't be arsed to get my wheel out and set-up when I get home from work ,because it's just too hot to think straight.

if you use discord or something maybe I can contact, because writing the steps of stuff one by one will be a hassle in here. There are still more stuff to be discovered in the bunch of the game files, so... yeah.
I'll be sure to help you out.

Ah, NVM. I don't do Discord.I was hoping it was just a simple fix in the test menu or summat.

Ali

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 05:13:06 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2023, 03:44:49 am »
Please, Is possible to play Daytona USA Championship New Seasson in the PC without an emulator? Is it available to download (to play without emuator)
I know it is available to Teknoparrot...
Is there a tutorial how to configure the joysticks to play it?
In my PC I apparently, I can play it Daytona USA Championship (no New Session) in very directory...

Many thanks...

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2023, 03:08:49 am »
Please, Is possible to play Daytona USA Championship New Seasson in the PC without an emulator? Is it available to download (to play without emuator)
I know it is available to Teknoparrot...
Is there a tutorial how to configure the joysticks to play it?
In my PC I apparently, I can play it Daytona USA Championship (no New Session) in very directory...

Many thanks...
at least I use daytona3 without teknoparrot.. the cleaner, the better. at least for me.

Ali

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 05:13:06 pm
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023, 01:18:41 am »
at least I use daytona3 without teknoparrot.. the cleaner, the better. at least for me.
Thank you Nuexzz!
Ok! But You can't use the updated version  Daytona USA Championship "New Session" directly in your PC, right?
Three days ago I downloaded Teknoparrot. I've always had a prejudice with things like Teknoparrot, Emulator Managers... too many layers in your system (I'm a old school Mame user)...
But as far as I could understood... The Daytona USA 3 is basically a "PC game" and what it does is basically to emulate the controls using your PC joysticks, and keyboard! Aparently no a real game emulation at least in Daytona case! Running at full speed!
Tip: Do you know the "classsical mod" for Daytona 3 Championship?
It restores the classical Daytona features (musics, sounds...) and remove the Stupid Lasers Rays(?) departuring from other cars...
The author said me, maybe he will do a mod for the New Season update...
Try to run Daytona (the 2 versions!) in Teknoparrot! I could to use it only after 10 minutes using the new Web Installer!
Nuexx, I'm a user of your tools/mods for Daytona USA++, many thanks!!
Best regards!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 01:21:52 am by Ali »