Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bootleg Universal Cabinet Space Raider/Mame Machine  (Read 4321 times)

Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
Bootleg Universal Cabinet Space Raider/Mame Machine
« on: July 05, 2018, 11:42:35 pm »
I got this hacked to all hell cabinet. I gotta show you some pics, because this thing is crazy...

The Front

The Controls on the plexi, not sure what they all do... the empty hole actually had a car starter/ignition key switch wired on... I assume he started the cab with that??? lol

Gotta have USB and Power right there in the plexi

This is a nice black light mounted above the monitor

Nice back of the cab mods

Nice LCD looks to be a 19" Maybe

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 11:24:37 pm by Ian »
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Ian

• Offline Offline
Re: Universal Cabinet Space Raider/Mame Machine
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 11:59:42 pm »
So, this cab is my favorite style of cab. Universal came out with some real crap games, but that cabinet to me is perfect!

Anyway, so this clearly was hacked up pretty bad, but the good news is that the bones on this cab are pretty much intact, and in great condition. Only thing I may have to find a replacement for is the coin box door (missing).

Everything else can be replicated pretty easily. My plan so far is this (and I am open to feedback or other ideas). I put this in the restore project thread because I do want to clean this up and get rid of all the crap that was done to it. I want to basically bring it back to it's former glory. I will be treating it like a full restore, however the guts will probably come from my mame machine. I have a 25" wells gardner that I plan to drop in, plus do a space raider art package. Clean up the laminate sides, replace the T-molding, and figure out what to do with the control panel.

My first idea is to emulate using my mame PC:

I am not going to design the control panel for fighting games, but go with single player simple button layout that will play strictly classic games. I assume a Joystick and one to two buttons for the games. I would like to strictly play games that will fit that control scheme, Shumps, DK, Super Glob, Joust, etc...

I am open to other ideas though.

I just think finding a Space Raider board would be next to impossible, and I just don't care much for Mr. Do. Universal game boards are pretty hard to find. I wouldn't mind going that route, but I have a tight budget on this one.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 12:04:59 am »
Universal Cabinet Size Specs (I had a very hard time tracking these down. So I just wanted to share these with the community just in case someone wanted to scratch build one.)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 04:47:34 am »
Doesn't everyone start their cab with an automotive ignition switch?
That cab is a mess. It will be interesting to see what you can do with it.

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 01:15:04 pm »
Egad that is atrocious.  I cant wait to see a full restore.  I don't know why but I would keep the sides and front as they are.  They have a nice patina to them.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 01:24:19 pm »
More like a shitina.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 02:07:27 pm »
I actually kind of dig the sides and kickplate art.  Maybe keep those (assuming they can be cleaned up) and redo the rest to match...cp and marquee. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 02:09:27 pm by smass »

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 03:09:52 pm »
Yeah, changing the front and back original art wasn't even a thought. I couldn't recreate it if I wanted to. I could get the art package from This Old Game, but the original is a very thick formica/laminate. It feels like armor. I dig it totally. Magic eraser will work wonders on this art! I know it... It will get rid of all the sticker residue.

Right now I am debating an art package.

Space Raider

or

Snap Jack

The Snap Jack has great art, but I would have to drill a hole for at least one button as Snap jack is a Joystick only game. And I have a control panel on the way for Snap Jack and I am feeling guilty putting a hole in it. But that Artwork though.

Space Raider

Snap Jack

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 06:01:10 pm »
I don't know - I think I prefer Space Raider - but both are interesting

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 06:22:03 pm »
I took all the junk out of the cab... and I scrubbed one side of the machine with a magic eraser. I then took Novus 2 to it. It cleaned up well... but not good enough. Then I realized I don't have a Universal Cab... I have some knock off from Taiwan. So f*ck it, I am stripping this thing to bare wood and making it a universal cab! The insides will be ripped out (damn staples) and rebuilt to the specs of a Universal Cab.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: Bootleg Universal Cabinet Space Raider/Mame Machine
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 05:49:49 pm »
Whoever built that was either crazy like a fox, or really lazy, My guess there is handhold cutouts under those switch plates, and most of the damage was confined to only the bezel....**Fun story** I found a dead rat in one once,(bought it that way, I don't have rats) just the bones don't you know, and the little  :censored: chewed up all the wiring before he died,  apparently when something dies it turns to a liquid goo, and smells kinda gross so consider the fact things could always be worse ;D,  Anyway looks like a fun project....SCORE!

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 06:21:47 pm »
Whoever built that was either crazy like a fox, or really lazy, My guess there is handhold cutouts under those switch plates, and most of the damage was confined to only the bezel....**Fun story** I found a dead rat in one once,(bought it that way, I don't have rats) just the bones don't you know, and the little  :censored: chewed up all the wiring before he died,  apparently when something dies it turns to a liquid goo, and smells kinda gross so consider the fact things could always be worse ;D,  Anyway looks like a fun project....SCORE!

Wow... that is pretty nasty.

Luckily the cabinet is intact. I am kind of glad this is a bootleg Universal Cab. I can kind of make it my own without worries of destroying some classic machine. I want to try to make it as close to a Universal Cab as possible. That I know.

Thanks for looking at my next fun little project!

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:37 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 12:13:51 pm »
I'd put a new control panel on it, clean up the crap on the back, change out the monitor, and call it done personally....