Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to make this part of the stick thick so It hit's the Switches Together  (Read 2420 times)

sy7k

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2018, 06:29:50 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!

My f+d,b+d,u+b and u+f buttons do not click together so I checked and this stick thickness was just an mm or 2 short to hitting switches together. I applied a rubber band and it was a temporary solution and it worked but the stick didn't feel right.Also tried tape but didn't work.Is there any adapter to thick this part ? Thanks  :dizzy:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:49:07 am by sy7k »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
What stick are you talking about?  Pics would help.  Sounds like you are using a 4 way joystick, not 8 way.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
You have either a 4-way stick or it isn't put together right. The actuator flips over on some sticks to go from 4-way to 8-way.

However given which joysticks most people have been buying lately I am going to bet you simply have a 4-way stick.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

sy7k

• Offline Offline

Attached the Images in the post,I use Img tag but sadly it is not working for me.

I think it's the Actuator, I will buy https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home/controls/parts/actuators/paradise-arcade/paradise-aluminum/762_oversized-jlf-actuator-set?search_query=Actuators+&results=41#
One of these ones but not sure of the size but I think  0.5 mm or 1 mm increase in width will do.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:53:21 am by sy7k »

Rogue Trooper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2021, 03:48:05 pm
You could try a bit of heat shrink to help increase the width. Just be very careful applying the heat with all the plastic parts around it. I would probably remove the part that you need to apply the heat shrink to so as to avoid damaging anything with the heat gun.

The heat shrink is relatively smooth and not 'grippy' like the rubber band so it may have a better feel. Also if it doesn't work, the heat shrink is easily removed with a sharp knife.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
A quality 8-way joystick can be had for all of $10-$15. No need to do any weird rig job on that one.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
It looks like a Sanwa JLF knockoff.  The original Sanwa restrictor (sometimes called the gate) has a center section that can be rotated to switch between 4 and 8 way.
Not sure if yours does or not. 

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
It looks like a Sanwa JLF knockoff.  The original Sanwa restrictor (sometimes called the gate) has a center section that can be rotated to switch between 4 and 8 way.
Not sure if yours does or not. 

Right, so the original poster has a chinese trash stick. Don't waste money trying to upgrade it, just buy a real stick. Genuine Sanwa JLF if you watch Anime, Happ Super otherwise.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:05:53 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
This was already being discussed in OP's first thread. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157627.msg1656607.html

I agree with the joystick selection. The time and effort you are putting into a cheap AliExpress kit could be avoided if you bought a brand name stick from a reputable manufacturer/distributor.

sy7k

• Offline Offline
Thank you all for your inputs, I will be saving up for a genuine Stick. Lesson learned.  :applaud:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
wrap the actuator in electrical tape until you replace it.

Its a trash fix for a trash stick, but it'll be a serviceable band aid
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:15:12 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Thank you all for your inputs, I will be saving up for a genuine Stick. Lesson learned.  :applaud:

If you need some financial planning advice to save up 15 dollars just let me know.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html

If you need some financial planning advice to save up 15 dollars just let me know.
Ghehehe, you are such an ass. Funny, but an ass...