Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ATOM-15 and atiflash, black screen  (Read 2962 times)

anchounio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 04:24:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
ATOM-15 and atiflash, black screen
« on: July 04, 2018, 03:54:48 am »
I'm having a black screen on Windows after flashing my ati 7870 XT

The curious matter is that it previously worked well when I flashed using the same modded bios a year ago.
Now, after having restored the original bios and having formatted Windows (same operating system, Windows 7 64 bits), when I flash my video card with the modded bios it works right during the bios sequence of the PC, it shows it at 15 hz, but when Windows is loaded nothing is shown, only a black screen.  I can hear the AUDIO of hyperspin running on the start, but nothing is shown. I can close it and open whatever I want with any shortcut key... but nothing is shown but a black screen.

I've been able to flash it back to the original bios by typing the command line blindly, restoring everything to normal with Windows being visible again. But everytime I flash the modded bios I get a black screen in Windows.

I modded that bios a year ago with atom-15 1.2 and the modded bios worked right by then. Now it doesn't, why?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:35:54 am by anchounio »

anchounio

• Offline Offline
Re: ATOM-15 and atiflash, black screen
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 05:40:12 am »
By the way, I remember that last year I flashed the modded bios using atiflash for DOS.
I had to create a bootable USB disk and from MS-DOS run atiflash.
The problem now is that there is no more atiflash for DOS. The provided links take you to a newer version that doesn't work for DOS, only Windows. Links given here: https://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=64

I can't find that DOS version.

But well, I'm not sure if it would work now... cause I've even tried to flash the card installing it in another computer, as a secondary graphic card. The flashing worked but the results were the same (bios in 15hz, windows not visible)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:43:03 am by anchounio »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 06:39:35 am »
Hi anchounio,

Why don't you try again wih ATOM-15 1.2? Is it because you don't have it anymore? It would be good to know if there's any real difference between the results of different versions, or otherwise the problem comes from somewhere else.

A black screen doesn't mean it doesn't work. The output may just be being sent through another output. I'd try pluging an LCD monitor through HDMI, then use it to enable EDID emulation on the analog port, and set up the desktop on it.

(It's 15 kHz by the way, not 15hz  ;))

EDIT: Yes, it looks like they've removed the DOS version. I'll try to find another link, and if it's not available I believe I must have a copy somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 06:44:41 am by Calamity »
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

anchounio

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 12:16:01 pm »
I'm using a HP monitor than can show 15khz. Before flashing the graphic card I had enabled the EDID emulation. Well, I also proved to disable EDID emulation then flashing the graphic card.
The result is always the same = black screen once windows has started.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 12:50:18 pm »
Black screen, through which output? All?
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 01:22:38 pm »
By the way, I remember that last year I flashed the modded bios using atiflash for DOS.
I had to create a bootable USB disk and from MS-DOS run atiflash.
The problem now is that there is no more atiflash for DOS. The provided links take you to a newer version that doesn't work for DOS, only Windows. Links given here: https://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=64

I can't find that DOS version.

The latest DOS version (as far as I know) is version 4.17.  I saw a mention of 4.18 for DOS, but I've never been able to find a download.  To find 4.17 on the download page linked on the ATOM15 thread, you need to click on "Show more versions" at the bottom of the box on the left side under the "Download" button then scroll down.  I've also attached the zip file to this post.

As an aside, I think version 4.17 only works with first (and maybe second) generation ATI GCN cards.  For later GCN chips, I think you are forced to use the latest Windows flash tool.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

anchounio

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 08:06:56 am »
Hi Calamity!

I've used the same modded bios I mod with atom-15 1.2 a year ago.

The output in my graphic card is DVI. I'm using a VGA to DVI adapter for it, because the JPAC only has VGA.
I'm using a HP monitor for testing, because this monitor allows 15 khz, but my goal is to connect it again to my CRT arcade monitor.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 05:50:52 pm by anchounio »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 12:33:45 pm »
What I'm trying to say is that probably the video signal is not going through that DVI output, but through the HDMI. You need to switch the cable and configure it so it sends the output through DVI again.
Steps to create a log:

anchounio

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 04:49:50 pm »
What I'm trying to say is that probably the video signal is not going through that DVI output, but through the HDMI. You need to switch the cable and configure it so it sends the output through DVI again.

Hi

I've run this before (edib emulation + atom-15 flashed bios) and I had no problem last year. I made it run with the DVI input, same adaptor to VGA. Same everything.

Following your advice I've tried another cable to test the HDMI output, but I also get the black screen. I can also see the bios in 15 khz when booting the PC.

I've tried to enable EDID emulation in both analog0 (DVI) and analog1 (HDMI)... When enabling Analog1, which I think it is HDMI, resolution doesn't change (still in 1280x720) and doesn't seem to change the frequency to 15khz.
After enabling EDID emulation in both outputs, I've flashed the video card with the modded bios, restarted and then just the same problem: BIOS image correct in 15khz when booting the PC but black screen when windows starts, and it starts because I can hear Hyperspin running.  I've also tried to switch cables at this point but nothing changes.  None of the outputs work.

*Update1: I've also tested it with CRT Emudriver 2.0 beta 8, because last year I was using that driver.   It doesn't matter, I still get the black screen after flashing the bios.   :dunno
*Update2: I've also tried Atiflash 4.17, dos version, provided by krick (thanks, man). Running it under dos with a bootable USB disk... The flash is correct as always but I still get the black screen on windows.

*Could it be something related to Windows 7 ????  I'm considering formatting and starting from a clean windows 7 installation. This one was altered to work as a kiosk-arcade system
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 06:59:46 pm by anchounio »

anchounio

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 10:13:21 am »
SOLVED:

The problem was on Windows 7. On a clean w7 installation I installed CRT emudriver, then flashed with atom15 and windows runs with no problem.

I followed tutorials such as this to hide windows 7 on my arcade cabinet PC

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=148050.msg1582789#msg1582789

It seems something screw atom15 flashed bios. I think it is the "loading windows 7"
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:52:13 am by anchounio »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 10:53:36 am »
Good to know it was that, though it's hard to see why that could be influenced by bios modding. Anyway...
Steps to create a log: