Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project Spectrum [finally woodworking phase]  (Read 2631 times)

barrymossel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
Re: Project Spectrum [finally woodworking phase]
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2018, 03:58:33 am »
I did exactly the same thing with my bartop.  What I did to fix was get a couple of pieces of hardboard, cut them to size to fit the routed out square, glued the crap out of them used some clamps to hold tightly, waited a day for glue to set and then redrilled the joystick hole.  I undermounted with inserts and had no problems at all. 

Thanks, I will try that later. I am also considering getting 12mm plywood for the control panel. No need to route then.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Buy a Multimeter
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2018, 06:04:28 am »
I would suggest cutting a new CP. You need to learn the quirks of your particular router. That way you won't have the same problem on future projects. Consider it router training.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2018, 06:32:36 am »
I would suggest cutting a new CP. You need to learn the quirks of your particular router. That way you won't have the same problem on future projects. Consider it router training.
You would advice against a 12mm panel? I thought some people recommend using 12mm (1/2") plywood?

And yes I should practise with my router a bit more. But I have quite some things to do where I can practise...

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Buy a Multimeter
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2018, 06:47:03 am »
I don't advise against it. It will work fine. I just take every opportunity to use my routers. They can be ornery beasts. The more you use them the better off you are.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2018, 07:11:03 am »
If you have the opportunity to use cabinet grade plywood for your CP - I recommend that over 1/2" MDF.   It will be much stiffer.  You won't find it at a box store however..  I woodworking supply store (like Woodcraft) will have a selection.  Nice design and nice Sketchup work! 
The free version of Sketchup should still be out there. Are you using Pro features?
FWIW:  My CP is 5 deg down. 
If you can - don't finalize your angle until you test a little bit.  I did a mockup of my setup on the bench and experimented quite a while to get something comfortable.
Following ;)
My Arcade Build and other projects here:
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Buy a Multimeter
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2018, 07:34:52 am »
Woodcraft is a great store. I took a woodworking class at a Woodcraft store a couple of years ago.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2018, 07:37:59 am »
I worked at one (part time) for ~7 years..  Spent way more on tools than I ever made there...  Really a great place and the people know the products.
My Arcade Build and other projects here:
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2018, 09:18:08 am »
If you have the opportunity to use cabinet grade plywood for your CP - I recommend that over 1/2" MDF.   It will be much stiffer.  You won't find it at a box store however..  I woodworking supply store (like Woodcraft) will have a selection.  Nice design and nice Sketchup work! 
The free version of Sketchup should still be out there. Are you using Pro features?
FWIW:  My CP is 5 deg down. 
If you can - don't finalize your angle until you test a little bit.  I did a mockup of my setup on the bench and experimented quite a while to get something comfortable.
Following ;)
Yup, I was planning on plywood for the control panel (currently it's MDF). I'm in the Netherlands and we have some options to order (custom cut) board in all kinds of quality.

I used the free (online) version of Sketchup. Then when I needed the Pro features (such as textures) I downloaded the free trial of Pro (30 days fully functional). If I need it again I can always re-install my laptop to start a new trial. I don't use it that much to justify 600 for a standalone license.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2018, 11:23:37 am »
Slowly I am making progress...

I lifted the cabinet about 3cm from the ground as I want to place wheels in the back like in this build: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,141846.msg1468043.html#msg1468043 and to make some room for of course some shabby led strip on the bottom.
Now on to the harder part: placing the monitor in such a way I have just enough room for the glass I'll have to order. And the positioning of the controls...

villageidiot333

• Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2018, 12:10:02 pm »
I just started my build based on your cabinet. I did some streetfight side art for it. Drew some inspiration from another street fighter build here.

I screwed up one side cut though and had to wait till this weekend to go pick up another sheet of mdf but it hasn't stopped raining. MDF and water don't go well together lol. I should be able to salvage some of the other sheet I messed up my cut on for other parts. Pretty excited I'm gong to have a full size cab now. I was going to destroy my bartop but maybe post a listing locally if anyone wants a bartop shell. I'd hate to destroy it.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2018, 12:20:31 pm »
I just started my build based on your cabinet. I did some streetfight side art for it. Drew some inspiration from another street fighter build here.

I screwed up one side cut though and had to wait till this weekend to go pick up another sheet of mdf but it hasn't stopped raining. MDF and water don't go well together lol. I should be able to salvage some of the other sheet I messed up my cut on for other parts. Pretty excited I'm gong to have a full size cab now. I was going to destroy my bartop but maybe post a listing locally if anyone wants a bartop shell. I'd hate to destroy it.

I'm really looking forward to your progress. I hope you'll be a bit faster than I.

villageidiot333

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2018, 12:54:36 pm »

I'm really looking forward to your progress. I hope you'll be a bit faster than I.

I need to since wife uses garage to park her car in and have another car in other side so doesn't leave much space to store it between builds. So need to get cabinet done fast, sand, prime and move in doors and put in the guts from the bartop. Hope this weekend I can get pretty far since after the side I messed up is the harder part..the rest is just square cuts. Hope to get all parts cut today and start assembling tomorrow. Want to put wheels too.  I have some that go in back so you can tilt back cabinet and roll it. Not sure if I'll use those though.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2018, 07:02:04 am »
And we added the screen. Took me more work than expected, but managed to use some plate the screen clicks in that was in the stand.

All that's left:
  • Add the coin door.
  • Fix a corner where I routed away too much wood.
  • Find a way to properly fasten the control panel, but as almost the whole back can be removed I might as well just permanently fix the control panel.
  • Ground and paint.
  • Apply the art.
  • Order and fix the marquee + leds.
  • Get all the electronics in.
  • Create a theme for whatever I will be using as frontend, based on the art.

villageidiot333

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2018, 11:47:00 am »
I'm hoping to get mine done so I can sand, prime and paint to get it ready for the art too. I still need to get a coin door though. :-( Going to go pick up primer and black paint today and have it ready. I'm going to make a slight change in your design to the top marquee, speaker and bezel.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2018, 02:27:50 pm »
In the end I made some changes as well. Just make it to your own likings!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31