Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need help PRINTING artwork from PSD file!  (Read 5679 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 09:06:32 pm
Need help PRINTING artwork from PSD file!
« on: June 29, 2018, 01:40:45 pm »
EDIT: 08.30.2018 - OK... it's been a long road but my artwork is finally finished.  Now I need help printing it!  The artist sent me PSD and PNG files - I don't have photoshop so I can't even open the PSD files and the PNG files don't appear to be sized properly (unless I don't know what I'm doing, which is quite possible).  I was hoping someone could export the PSD file to a properly-sized PNG or JPG that I can print in black and white from a regular computer.  I want to test fit everything before sending it off to the real printer.

I uploaded the PSD files HERE.

I would really appreciate any help.  The sizes should be exactly the size of the template posted in this thread.

Thanks!

What program can I use to lay out the measurements below so it prints actual size?  I want to be able to deliver a "canvas" to whoever I hire to do the art so I want to layout the edges of the panel as well as the button locations and everything.  Here are the dimensions:

Photoshop? Illustrator?  something easier to use because I know nothing about them?

Send help!

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:13:49 pm by javeryh »

Ramakers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2020, 01:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Need help laying out template for artwork
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 03:24:36 pm »
the learning curve of those programs is pretty steep.
I took the liberty to create a file for you:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xacr3xc2rsuvlf/template.pdf?dl=0

I only don't understand what you mean with the bezel? Can you explain so I can integrate it.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Need help laying out template for artwork
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 04:27:45 pm »
the learning curve of those programs is pretty steep.
I took the liberty to create a file for you:

I only don't understand what you mean with the bezel? Can you explain so I can integrate it.

WOW.  Thanks! 

Buttons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 are 30mm Seimitsu buttons with a 33mm bezel.  This means the diameter of the hole you drill is 30mm but the bezel actually covers a diameter of 33mm.  Same thing with buttons A, B, C and D - those are 24mm Seimitsu buttons with a 26.8mm bezel.  So for purposes of the art, the larger sizes will mean whatever is in those locations will not be see.  Does that make sense?

Thanks again!   :cheers:

EDIT: Let's also call the joystick dustwasher 38mm (for the area marked "J"), which I believe is standard.

EDIT #2: I also forgot that for the side panel all of the outside corners are rounded over with approximately a 1/4” radius and the two inside corners were joined with a 2” diameter circle.  So there aren’t any hard corners.  Like this:

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 07:33:05 pm by javeryh »

Ramakers

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 07:27:03 am »
I'll make some adjustments and reply with them

here is the new file:

old link gives also new file!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:23:23 am by Ramakers »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 10:31:42 am »
I'll make some adjustments and reply with them

here is the new file:

old link gives also new file!

Holy crap that looks perfect!  Thanks so much.  I'll let you know how it goes from here...   :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 01:12:45 pm »
OK... it's been a long road but my artwork is finally finished.  Now I need help printing it!  The artist sent me PSD and PNG files - I don't have photoshop so I can't even open the PSD files and the PNG files don't appear to be sized properly (unless I don't know what I'm doing, which is quite possible).  I was hoping someone could export the PSD file to a properly-sized PNG or JPG that I can print in black and white from a regular computer.  I want to test fit everything before sending it off to the real printer.

I uploaded the PSD files HERE.

I would really appreciate any help.  The sizes should be exactly the size of the template posted in this thread.

Thanks!

Ramakers

• Offline Offline
Re: Need help PRINTING artwork from PSD file!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 01:57:46 pm »
I made a PDF file from the art
sideart arcade.pdf
sideart arcade 2.pdf
marquee.pdf
Control Panel.pdf

Let me know if this works.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 02:14:55 pm by Ramakers »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 02:02:13 pm »
I made a PDF file from the side art as a test:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrn5ibesydkasxk/sideart%20arcade.pdf?dl=0

Let me know if this works, and I'll make the rest.

Awesome - thank you!  I'll let you know tonight (I'm at work).  I'll print it now though...

Ramakers

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 02:16:15 pm »
I already made the rest, I hope this works.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 02:24:34 pm »
Heh - me too.  I printed the one side and it seems like the right size but I won't know for sure until tonight when I can tape the panels together and line it up with the actual cabinet.  it is supposed to be oversized by 1/2" or so to give me a little wiggle room when applying the final art.

So for my own benefit, assuming the PSD files are the right size, do I just send those to the printer and if they print at 100% I should be good to go?  I guess what I'm asking is can you print straight from the PSD or did you have to do anything to get it into the PDF format?  I want the art to be printed at the highest possible quality/resolution (300dpi, I think).

Ramakers

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 03:05:30 pm »
I just saved "your" PSD files as PDF files so you could print them. The PNG files are also the right size. but harder to print at home.
Every decent printshop can print PSD files at the right size.
The file is made in 300dpi, so the quality is good.

Nice design btw, great designer! :applaud:

ps Can you let me know if you no longer need the files in my dropbox. They eat a lot of my space. And as this is your design I don't think others need this.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:10:36 pm by Ramakers »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 03:27:57 pm »
PSA:  For future reference - anyone getting artwork created for them, get your artist to give you a final PDF of your work for printing.  Every print shop takes PDF, and you can view them in practically everything, including web browsers.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 03:46:21 pm »
Thanks for the tip.  I don't know what I'm doing haha.

I downloaded all 4 of the files so you can delete them from dropbox.  FYI, MEGA gives 50GB for free and Dropbox I think only does 2.  My dropbox is always full!

Ramakers

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 02:04:11 am »
PSA:  For future reference - anyone getting artwork created for them, get your artist to give you a final PDF of your work for printing.  Every print shop takes PDF, and you can view them in practically everything, including web browsers.

Totally agree, every graphic design software can export PDF files. They are smaller to handel and universal in use.

Another tip I would ad is: flatten your image before you give out the final file. This makes the file smaller. For this side art it gets from 290mb to 115mb and this is only a bartop, imagine a full size cab. It also reduces changes made by the printing software. They have to RIP (raster image process) the file to make it readable for the big printers, here some things can get messed up, the layers consume also a lot of time. My first design took 8 hours to process (this was decades ago) after the first print I discovered a typo, rookie mistake. The printshop joined the layers before the next print and this reduced the process time to just over one hour! Now they always flatten the image before printing, but because of different software used, things can go wrong. If you (or your designer) do the flattening, you have total controle over the result.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 04:25:42 pm »

Totally agree, every graphic design software can export PDF files. They are smaller to handel and universal in use.

Another tip I would ad is: flatten your image before you give out the final file. This makes the file smaller. For this side art it gets from 290mb to 115mb and this is only a bartop, imagine a full size cab. It also reduces changes made by the printing software. They have to RIP (raster image process) the file to make it readable for the big printers, here some things can get messed up, the layers consume also a lot of time. My first design took 8 hours to process (this was decades ago) after the first print I discovered a typo, rookie mistake. The printshop joined the layers before the next print and this reduced the process time to just over one hour! Now they always flatten the image before printing, but because of different software used, things can go wrong. If you (or your designer) do the flattening, you have total controle over the result.

Sorry to bother you but I have one more request - I would like to convert 2 more PNG files to PDF so I can print them at the right size.  They are HERE.

What happened is that when I printed the side art to test it out, the white border did not line up exactly.  Malenko kindly removed the border from the PSD file so I was all set to go with that when the artist I hired got back to me and adjusted the border based on a pic I sent to her.  So I want to print this one final time as a last ditch effort for the side art to have a border.  It won't be perfect but might be close enough.  I tried converting to PDF and printing from Paint, etc. but couldn't get it properly sized.

Thanks!!

Ramakers

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 03:26:03 am »
In the first design looks like the white lines aren't supposed to line up (see attachment). I looked further into the design and found the border to be visible in the final artwork. You can see a thin bleu line near the border. This needs to be removed before final printing. In the PNG files this would take a lot of time, in a PSD you only have to hide the layer it's on. So ask your designer to do this.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Need help PRINTING artwork from PSD file!
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 05:26:45 am »
In the first design looks like the white lines aren't supposed to line up (see attachment). I looked further into the design and found the border to be visible in the final artwork. You can see a thin bleu line near the border. This needs to be removed before final printing. In the PNG files this would take a lot of time, in a PSD you only have to hide the layer it's on. So ask your designer to do this.

That is correct.  In this version the white lines will not line up with the outside - it is supposed to be like that!  The thin blue line will not be visible in the final piece because the entire thing is oversized by about 1” or so.  The blue line was for guidance only in applying the art.

The border in the original version didn’t quite line up because my initial measurements were off so this is just to see if a quick fix of the white border will be sufficient (otherwise I’m going borderless).  I tried lining things up in the attached pic but as you can see under the marquee the white line is crooked.

So I’m hoping to print these new files to the proper size on 8-1/2”x11” paper, cut and tape them together and do another test fit.  I can’t get the files to print though.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 05:29:12 am by javeryh »

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 08:31:18 am »
BUt the reason for having it is to line up the draft copies -- for the final copy you want to not print that line so that if the print is off just a little you do not have a line in your artwork on the cabinet -- IF you print it you might as well not leave yourself any extra room because you have to line it up exactly or the line shows - so better off just having the artwork cut off there -- The whole reason for that extra room is in case the printing does not exactly line up you can not tell after applying since the background still fills the areas that are off -- having a thin blue line show up in those areas would defeat the entire reason for having the extra printing around the whole thing. ( Sure it helps having it there for draft prints to ensure it all lines up but for the final print you hide the line and print with the extra so taht if when applying you place it off by a few mm it still works - having a line showing defeats the purpose of having the extra artwork for trimming. ( since if it is off by a mm or so you wind up with a line showing on the cabinet ! )

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 08:46:32 am »
Is there anything else you need me to do?
And, that's the other reason I wouldn't want the white outline even if its off a ball hair its gonna stick out.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 10:08:58 am »
BUt the reason for having it is to line up the draft copies -- for the final copy you want to not print that line so that if the print is off just a little you do not have a line in your artwork on the cabinet -- IF you print it you might as well not leave yourself any extra room because you have to line it up exactly or the line shows - so better off just having the artwork cut off there -- The whole reason for that extra room is in case the printing does not exactly line up you can not tell after applying since the background still fills the areas that are off -- having a thin blue line show up in those areas would defeat the entire reason for having the extra printing around the whole thing. ( Sure it helps having it there for draft prints to ensure it all lines up but for the final print you hide the line and print with the extra so taht if when applying you place it off by a few mm it still works - having a line showing defeats the purpose of having the extra artwork for trimming. ( since if it is off by a mm or so you wind up with a line showing on the cabinet ! )

You are right!  The blue line was not visible on the test piece I posted above (but it was very close in one spot).  If it is easily removed that's great but I'm just trying to see if I can keep the white border.  It's not looking good.

Is there anything else you need me to do?
And, that's the other reason I wouldn't want the white outline even if its off a ball hair its gonna stick out.

I don't think so but thanks for the offer. 

I agree - the chances of this looking perfect are slim but I do want to print the two png files I posted above.  The artist moved the white line to match the cutout in the pic (using photoshop magic or some other sorcery).  It won't be *perfect* but it might be close enough.  When I convert to PDF I get  an error saying that it is "either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)".  I can't figure it out.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 10:27:46 am »
  When I convert to PDF I get  an error saying that it is "either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)".  I can't figure it out.

Try these -- Converted the ones you posted in png to pdf - Using an older version of Photoshop (CS 5.1) since I have not updated in a long while but should still work properly ! (will still have the blue line since the png has them - to remove it you'd need to go into the psd file and turn off that layer and then save as png or pdf )

sideart 1 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1osl7urke4l8su/sideart%201%20arcade.pdf?dl=0

side art 2 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kwp2oxjs3yq5gj/sideart%202%20arcade.pdf?dl=0
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 10:35:32 am by JDFan »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 02:55:35 pm »
  When I convert to PDF I get  an error saying that it is "either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)".  I can't figure it out.

Try these -- Converted the ones you posted in png to pdf - Using an older version of Photoshop (CS 5.1) since I have not updated in a long while but should still work properly ! (will still have the blue line since the png has them - to remove it you'd need to go into the psd file and turn off that layer and then save as png or pdf )

sideart 1 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1osl7urke4l8su/sideart%201%20arcade.pdf?dl=0

side art 2 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kwp2oxjs3yq5gj/sideart%202%20arcade.pdf?dl=0

Printing now!!  Thanks!