Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Golden Tee 2005 Fore no display/not working  (Read 5771 times)

sickest16

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 17, 2018, 01:39:26 pm
  • Games all day.
Golden Tee 2005 Fore no display/not working
« on: June 27, 2018, 01:45:38 pm »
Hi All,
I have a 2005 Golden Tee Fore! that seems to power on fine, but has no sound and no visual.

The monitor is a NeoTec NT-500DX and when the cabinet is powered on it displays Self Test in Green/Blue, No Signal in Red/Yellow, and Monitor is working in Blue/Yellow.

The game has a green board and I have IDE activity, Status 1 and 2 blinking. Jamma harness looks clean and the edges of the board are clean as well.

I have pulled the 3DFX Voodoo card, cleaned contacts with eraser, reseated a few times. Still no video.

I put the voodoo card in a PC and connected a monitor. It displayed a Windows start up screen, it just had warped colors. I assume that's because the PC doesn't have full voodoo drivers installed?

The marquee is dark as well, not sure that isn't just a burned out bulb, haven't opened that yet.

I am going to connect a few different LCDs directly to the voodoo card while it is installed in the game, but haven't tried that yet. I've read mixed comments about doing this, some say it will work fine and that it's confirmed to work fine even with IT. Others say the new LCDs have refresh rates that are too high for what the game is trying to push and you won't get any video that way.

I tested voltage at the boot eeprom (2.08 version) across pins 16 and 32 and it's measuring 5.1v.

I have held in the start button and powered the cabinet on and when I do Status 1 is flashing three times. I've read that that indicates a bad video card, though the card worked (somewhat) in a PC. I could plug back into the PC and confirm drivers get properly installed and video clears up if we thought it was necessary.

Thoughts? What else could this be? What else should I try here?

Kilowoody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2019, 09:14:49 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Golden Tee 2005 Fore no display/not working
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 02:05:00 pm »
I recently purchased and fixed a regular golden tee fore cabinet but know very little about them. The cab had all of the manuals and paperwork inside, maybe it is as simple as a dipswitch on the jamma board putting your game in test mode?

I could post pictures of the manual later tonight if you think it might help?

sickest16

• Offline Offline
  • Games all day.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 02:35:39 pm »
Thanks for the reply and offer to help!

I have seen the manual and I know that SW51 should have all switches on. I could set switch 1 to Off and put it in operator mode. Have tried and it doesn't get me anywhere.

SW5 switch 1 can be on for low resolution or off for med resolution (which is the default). All other switches on this switch should be on.

I'm not so sure it's something as easy as a dip switch setting.

I purchased the cabinet and the former owner said "it used to work before he moved it". Pretty classic story it seems.

sickest16

• Offline Offline
  • Games all day.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 02:32:07 pm »
Connected a standard LCD monitor direct to the 3DFX card and booted the machine. No display on the monitor.

Have other monitors I can try, not sure it's worth it.

Any other thoughts on what I can and should be checking here?

Thanks!

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:04:04 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 02:31:33 pm »
Connecting anything other than a medium res montior to the 3dfx card will not work.  By default, Golden Tee Fore runs at medium res, which is a specific frequency which your monitor (unless it is a multisync) can support.  There's a dip switch to set it to std res, but you'll still either need a std res arcade monitor or a multisync monitor to display it at 15khz, or you will need to get something like the JROK RGB->Component converter to test that way.

sickest16

• Offline Offline
  • Games all day.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 03:53:54 pm »
I thought that would be the case. Thanks for confirming.

I'm going to pull the video card again and see if I can get it to play nice in windows. If it doesn't then I may look into replacing.

Others thoughts?

sickest16

• Offline Offline
  • Games all day.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 11:09:30 pm »
Got graphics card to play nice in Windows, so the video card is confirmed to be good.

I used a light grit sandpaper in the PCI slot on the jamma board, then cleaned out any grit with alcohol wipe and still had no success to the monitor.

I was able to connect a laptop to the monitor and get the monitor to tell me the resolution the laptop was pushing was too high. I dropped the resolution down and the monitor stopped displaying test screen messages which was a good sign, but it only displayed a black screen which I thought to be a bad sign.

Anyone have any other recommendations on what else I might look at here?
Thanks!