Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need Help with LED Light Strip Selection  (Read 2068 times)

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:56:47 am
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Need Help with LED Light Strip Selection
« on: June 27, 2018, 10:12:21 am »
All,

For my Skeeball project, I want to add addressable LEDs for effects.

I'm looking for the following:

• Addressable LED light strips that can be cut to size (and connectors to connect the strips together
  • Preferably something that is encased in plastic/epoxy or is impact resistant (if not I'll figure it out)
  • Works with an LEDWiz or other LED controller

Can anyone recommend the LEDs, connectors, and which controller I should use?  I'll need a good 30 feet of it.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:39:10 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Re: Need Help with LED Light Strip Selection
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 11:24:47 am »
Adafruit has some cool stripes, they seem really expensive though and I am not sure about the compatibility with the LEDWiz

https://www.adafruit.com/category/886

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 12:25:17 pm »
For my Skeeball project, I want to add addressable LEDs for effects.

I'm looking for the following:

• Addressable LED light strips that can be cut to size (and connectors to connect the strips together
  • Preferably something that is encased in plastic/epoxy or is impact resistant (if not I'll figure it out)
  • Works with an LEDWiz or other LED controller

Can anyone recommend the LEDs, connectors, and which controller I should use?  I'll need a good 30 feet of it.
Not sure about addressable strips or even if the usual arcade-style LED controllers can handle addressable LEDs/strips.   :dunno

Sjaak has done some great work with addressable LEDs and Arduinos.

If you want addressable RGB LEDs for the target rings, Sparkfun has WS2812B breakout boards. (Amazon carries knockoffs here)

All you need to string these together is 5v, ground, Data In (DI) and Data Out. (DO)

They are really tiny. (~1/2" x 3/4")  :o 

I'm working on a 3D printed 45-degree mount with 1/2" x 1/2" aluminum c-channel armor similar to the IR sensor mounts.

Scott

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 06:17:46 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 04:18:49 pm »
You can buy any addressable RGB strip that runs on the WS2811 standard and buy the Ultimarc Nano-LED to control it (plays nice with LED-blinky):

[url=http://www.ultimarc.com/nanoled.html]http://www.ultimarc.com/nanoled.html[/URL]

Adafruits “NeoPixel” line of strips is the WS2811 standard not to be confused with their DotStar line which is not.

[url=https://www.adafruit.com/category/183]https://www.adafruit.com/category/183[/URL]

Also you can get cheap strips by searching on Aliexpress.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 04:33:01 pm by Arroyo »

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 11:31:21 pm »
30 feet isn't too bad.  I would go with the Adafruit ones.  They are really fun to play around with.  You just have to decide on which type.  Some are denser (more LEDs per inch) than others, etc.  Go with the 4-wire type.  You can find cheaper ones from China, but no customer support.  The great thing about Adafruit is their fantastic customer support forums.  They will answer any questions you have and will probably help you write some code for them.  They can be driven by Arduino.  I can help you with some of the coding basics, since I stumbled my way through it a few years back. 

As I understand, Ultimarc has the one driver, but I have not played with it. 

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 11:36:31 pm »
Here are some Adafruit lights I used.  Running off of a Arduino, controlled by an audio spectrum analyzer to sync with music.  These are the 8806 ones, which might have been upgraded by now...

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:40:14 pm by JudgeRob »

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 06:53:07 am »
Scott, 

Where would you expect to see this mounted?  Just outside the hole on the back with a 45-deg mount?  I know you’re saying it’s tiny, but there is not much clearance between the scoring board and the 100 pt ramps and the center chute.

I’d think weatherproofed addressible LED strips would work, but if wrapped around the inside of the pocket, I’d worry about constant impacts.

Still working out which way I want to go.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 08:30:54 am »
Where would you expect to see this mounted?  Just outside the hole on the back with a 45-deg mount?  I know you’re saying it’s tiny, but there is not much clearance between the scoring board and the 100 pt ramps and the center chute.

I’d think weatherproofed addressible LED strips would work, but if wrapped around the inside of the pocket, I’d worry about constant impacts.
I haven't worked out the angles and measurements or made a prototype yet, but it would be similar to this diagram.

- The IR LED and sensor (yellow and green) are mounted under the playfield (gold) on the right and left side of the scoring hole.

- Add a square notch to the bottom of the scoring hole and add two L-brackets covered by PVC tubing (blue)
-- Balls will roll from the rings on the front of the playfield, across the L-brackets, and through the hole.
-- Space between the L-brackets must be wide enough for light from the addressable LED (red) to light the numbers (black) and narrow enough that the ball won't hit the LED.

The last pic shows how the left L-bracket is mounted on the wood playfield to protect the addressable LED -- right L-bracket not shown.

Scott
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 08:39:52 am by PL1 »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 09:00:14 am »
Here's a better view of the 1-1/2" L-bracket and tubing.

The tubing is cut so the side of the bracket that passes through the playfield is fully covered, but the part above the playfield is only covered on the top side.

Scott
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:02:48 am by PL1 »

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 11:01:03 am »
You can buy any addressable RGB strip that runs on the WS2811 standard and buy the Ultimarc Nano-LED to control it (plays nice with LED-blinky):

[url=http://www.ultimarc.com/nanoled.html]http://www.ultimarc.com/nanoled.html[/URL]

Adafruits “NeoPixel” line of strips is the WS2811 standard not to be confused with their DotStar line which is not.

[url=https://www.adafruit.com/category/183]https://www.adafruit.com/category/183[/URL]

Also you can get cheap strips by searching on Aliexpress.

Forgive the ignorance on this, but I'm trying to figure out how this works.

If I get 5m (16.4 ft) of WS2811 addressable LEDs, at 30led /meter, that's 150*3 channels, correct?  How oculd I use the ultimarc controller to control that if it only supports 60 channels?

Do I group LEDs together and have them addressed as one led with 3 channels?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 06:17:46 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 11:20:58 am »

Forgive the ignorance on this, but I'm trying to figure out how this works.

If I get 5m (16.4 ft) of WS2811 addressable LEDs, at 30led /meter, that's 150*3 channels, correct?  How oculd I use the ultimarc controller to control that if it only supports 60 channels?

Do I group LEDs together and have them addressed as one led with 3 channels?

It’s a good question, here’s the limit of my knowledge on it.  The controller supports 60 channels but with RGB being 3 channels per LED the maximum number the controller will support is 20 RGB LED’s.  To the best of my knowledge if you wanted to use this controller you would need to cut the strip (all strips have cut points usually every 3 LED’s) and run wires with a new controller.  In other words for your application you would need 8 of these controllers for that many LED’s.

You may be able to run the wiring from more than one controller to the inputs at the 1st LED (rather than having to cut the strip).  The answer to that is beyond my knowledge, but I’m sure Andy at Ultimarc could answer the question.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 09:48:31 pm »
Are your LEDs going to run standalone, or are they going to be controlled by another program (ie like MAME would do)?

It looks like the Ultimarc software can assign separate IDs for multiple boards.  I'm not sure why the channels are limited to 20 RGB unless there is a memory limitation on the boards. 

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 02:28:57 pm »
Must be.  I might just go with an arduino board from adafruit that can be controlled via serial-over-usb.  Might make the most sense.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 01:56:27 am »
You can get the board from anywhere.  Sparkfun has some nice affordable ones.  The downer is that you won't have a nice easy GUI to run sequences.  You'd have to bust out some C++.  But totally doable depending on what you're trying to do.  ;D