Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Converting a golden tee fore cab to MAME. Help please.  (Read 1696 times)

Kilowoody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2019, 09:14:49 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Converting a golden tee fore cab to MAME. Help please.
« on: June 26, 2018, 02:01:41 pm »
I am new to this forum and i am planning on converting a golden tee cabinet i recently purchased and fixed to MAME. This is my first cabinet and i plan on re making the control panel with joysticks and buttons and using an iPac2 to connect it to a computer.

I also plan on making a simple vga to rgb wire harness and using soft 15k to lock my computer into 25khz (golden tee has a med resolution monitor inside)

Does this sound like a solid plan that would work, or should i look at other options. I really want to use a crt instead of an lcd screen and i dont have the money to go out and purchase a new 15khz monitor.

I have no experience with MAME or Hyperspin yet and I haven’t purchased a computer but plan on playing the classic arcade games and consoles and some fighting games as well. What minimum specs should i be looking for to emulate these types of games smoothly?

Thank you guys for your help!  ;D

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:48:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Converting a golden tee fore cab to MAME. Help please.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 10:27:37 am »
I also plan on making a simple vga to rgb wire harness and using soft 15k to lock my computer into 25khz (golden tee has a med resolution monitor inside)

25k doesn't play well resolution wise. They cannot display 15k games at native resolutions as the scan rate is too high (obviously 25>15). Not a lot of games used 25k... it was kind of a stop gap before VGA and 31k. So you just end up with 15k games looking cruddy...and a few 25k games looking good.

check to see if your monitor is switchable to down 15k. (often with just needing a plug moved from one connector to another.)

Kilowoody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2019, 09:14:49 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 02:22:11 pm »
My monitor is a WG k7500 I’m almost certain its not switchable. yeah i know i wont have native resolution, but hey its better than an lcd screen which is my only other option  ???

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 06:49:25 pm »
You can probably trade it straight across with someone for a standard resolution 15K monitors. A lot of guys are still running those medium resolution games on location and want the monitors badly.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.