Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best way to support Monitor Glass?  (Read 1915 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
Best way to support Monitor Glass?
« on: June 22, 2018, 06:56:13 pm »
What is the best way to support the monitor glass so it doesn't fall out?  This is for a bartop if that is relevant (the CP detaches so the glass cannot affix to that in any way).  I am at a loss - I think I need some type of channel for the glass to sit in but not sure how to accomplish this.  This picture may help with the visualization:

Any ideas?

yamatetsu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:24:20 pm
  • Just because.
Re: Best way to support Monitor Glass?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 12:27:00 am »
Maybe you could use a wider glass panel, route a groove into the inside of each side panel and just slide it in.

romshark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 02:50:59 pm
  • Arcade and Robotics enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 12:31:52 am »
I'm sure there's multiple ways of doing this, even in factory cabinets.

Here's a video from a Simpsons cabinet (part about glass starts at about 8:58). Basically, it slides into a slot opening at the top, and it rests on a wood brace mounted on the bottom. An angled metal bracket holds the glass in place, secured by a screw. This is what I did in my TMNT cabinet.

https://youtu.be/osvtvpviJLA?t=538

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 12:46:19 am »
SHorter glass and longer CP overhang !

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 10:04:41 am »
SHorter glass and longer CP overhang !

My CP is removable and I already cut it short of what would be required here although maybe I should have thought of this sooner...

Maybe you could use a wider glass panel, route a groove into the inside of each side panel and just slide it in.

I think that's more work than I want to do!  Also, I need to be able to get it out once everything is all glued up in case I have to replace the monitor for whatever reason...

I'm sure there's multiple ways of doing this, even in factory cabinets.

Here's a video from a Simpsons cabinet (part about glass starts at about 8:58). Basically, it slides into a slot opening at the top, and it rests on a wood brace mounted on the bottom. An angled metal bracket holds the glass in place, secured by a screw. This is what I did in my TMNT cabinet.

https://youtu.be/osvtvpviJLA?t=538

Thanks for this!  I think I can do something along these lines. 

Anyone got any more pics/ideas?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 12:13:16 pm »
My CP is removable and I already cut it short of what would be required here although maybe I should have thought of this sooner...

Maybe add a wooden brace/bracket ( Can't think of the name of them right now - but those wooden braces you use to screw/glue the rest of the cabinet to ! ) to each side so the glass rests on them.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 01:49:16 pm »

Maybe add a wooden brace/bracket ( Can't think of the name of them right now - but those wooden braces you use to screw/glue the rest of the cabinet to ! ) to each side so the glass rests on them.

Battons?  That's a good idea... Like this?

Needlessly complicated?  I need the CP to be flush against the glass so tis solution would have the glass extend lower than I'd like so the CP panel can clear the bracket.  Not too bad...

EDIT: LOL gravity.  Oops.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 01:51:26 pm by javeryh »

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 02:32:01 pm »

No real need for the metal bracket -- just cut a 1/8" groove into the battons that you place on each side of the cab - so that the glass will slide into the groove and the batton is attached to the side of the cab - that way the battons are held in place on each side of the cab and the glass can sit in the groove on the batton so will stay in place.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 02:35:49 pm by JDFan »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 10:19:55 am »

No real need for the metal bracket -- just cut a 1/8" groove into the battons that you place on each side of the cab - so that the glass will slide into the groove and the batton is attached to the side of the cab - that way the battons are held in place on each side of the cab and the glass can sit in the groove on the batton so will stay in place.

Thanks for this.  I think I've worked it out based on your sggestion.  What do you think?

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 01:08:39 pm »
That would definitely work, I assume the pieces that will be glued/screwed on the sides are about 1" or 2" thick 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 01:33:17 pm »

Thanks for this.  I think I've worked it out based on your suggestion.  What do you think?

That should work !  :cheers: