Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cherry bonus iii via Raspberry pi 2  (Read 4247 times)

Cod3Red

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2018, 12:04:34 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Cherry bonus iii via Raspberry pi 2
« on: June 20, 2018, 07:00:47 pm »
Greetings, I am a newbie in search of answers for this question I pose. Can raspberry pi 2 or 3 run ROM of cherry bonus iii or similar arcade hi lo joker poker? And if yes what are the possible links that can demonstrate said? Thanks in advance.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:08:43 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Cherry bonus iii via Raspberry pi 2
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 09:09:31 pm »
Can raspberry pi 2 or 3 run ROM of cherry bonus iii or similar arcade hi lo joker poker?
Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with this type of game/control panel layout.

Cherry Bonus III (ver. 1.40, set 1) has been in MAME since 0.128u6. (ROMname ncb3.zip)

Based on the Info.dat entry below, it should run fine with 0.153 or newer.

Unfortunately, most easy-to-use RetroPie MAME build versions are really old. (0.37b5 or MAME 0.78)

The good news is that it is possible to run a game like this with newer versions of MAME on the RasPi.   ;D

Entry from v0.186 Info.dat:
NOTE:

- If a hopper status error appear when the player try to take score, pressing Key Out (W) will discharge the credits won.

- Cherry Bonus III has two sets of controls than can be switched through each 'BIG' button. Even you can switch controls in middle of the game. When a set of controls are in use, the other set is blocked till 'BIG' button is pressed.

- Controls Set2 is using reels stop buttons from Controls Set1.

WIP:

- 0.172: Ioannis Bampoulas and Roberto Fresca added clone Cherry Angel (encrypted, W-4 hardware). Added some notes about encryption [Roberto Fresca].

- 0.171: f205v and Roberto Fresca added clone Cherry Gold I (set 2, encrypted bootleg).

- 0.160: Vas Crabb added dipswitches for clone Cherry Angel according to manual (thanks Bad A Billy).

- 0.153: Roberto Fresca and ANY added clone Cherry Bonus III (set 4, encrypted bootleg). Fixed the colors of clone Cherry Bonus III (set 3), rearranging the split values stored in 4-bit bipolar PROMs and adding the missing one. Promoted to working state [Roberto Fresca]. Fixed both graphics banks decryption/decode in clone Cherry Bonus III (set 4, encrypted bootleg) [Roberto Fresca, ANY]. Added button-lamps support to all Cherry Bonus III sets. Also created almost realistic control panel internal layout. Added technical notes about Cherry Bonus III memory map [Roberto Fresca].

- 10th March 2014: Roberto Fresca - Cherry Bonus III lamps: I found the output ports related to lamps. Cherry Bonus III (and clones) have two controls set. These could be switched in game (like Mahjong games). One control set looks normal, and the second one seems to be meant for non-stop reels. Ports F850h and F860h drive the lamps for both controls set respectively. Now I added lamps support, and created a realistic control panel layout with 3D button-lamps. Here a couple of snaps.

-  9th March 2014: Roberto Fresca - We got perfect graphics decrypt/decode for the Cherry Bonus III (the one with a big CPLD for the encryption). With this work, the game is now working properly and was officially promoted to working state. Here some snaps.

-  5th March 2014: Roberto Fresca - Just fixed the colors of Cherry Bonus III (set 3) from Dyna. The bipolar PROMs that contain the color info are 4-bit devices, and the color data is 8-bit. So I took the 4-bit data from each PROM, and combinated them to get the proper 8-bit values, that match other games from the saga. Also added the missing PROM for the second bank of graphics.

-  4th March 2014: Roberto Fresca - A new Cherry Bonus III was highly encrypted. It has a big CPLD for the encryption and my best attempt to decrypt/decode the graphics. They are bitswapped, and need a special graphics decode. The game is working properly, so was tagged as 'imperfect graphics', at least for now.

- 0.143u7: Roberto Fresca, Team Europe and FatArnold added clone Cherry Master '97. Roberto Fresca and Team Europe added Cherry Master '97 PCB layout.

- 0.141u2: Tafoid fixed incorrect rom sizes in clone Cherry Angel.

- 0.141u1: Added clones Cherry Bonus III (set 3) and Cherry Angel.

- 18th November 2010: Smitdogg - We got Cherry Angel donated by Wost.

- 0.137u2: Anonymous added clone Cherry Bonus III (alt, set 2).

- 0.131u3: David Haywood added clone Cherry Bonus III (alt).

- 0.129u1: Changed Z80 CPU1 clock speed to 3MHz.

- 0.129: Roberto Fresca added clone Cherry Bonus III (ver.1.40, set 2). Andreas Naive and Roberto Fresca fixed (ver.1.40, encrypted) - Game now playable. Cherry Bonus III (Version 1.40) improvements [Roberto Fresca]: Worked the remaining inputs. Mapped and documented all 5 dipswitches banks. Worked out the conditional DIPs. Added DIP locations to all switches. Fixed Cherry Bonus III and Cherry Bonus III (Version 1.40) colors. The game is working, but need a workaround for the status connection. Each time the player press 'Take' to get the credits, a "call attendant" msg appear and credits must be taken pressing 'Key Out'. Changed 'Cherry Bonus III (Version 1.40)' and 'Cherry Bonus III' from clones of Golden Star to parent 'Cherry Bonus III (ver.1.40, set 1)' and clone 'Cherry Bonus III (ver.1.40, encrypted)'.

- 31st December 2008: Roberto Fresca - Got Cherry Bonus III working properly. Some new dumps were added. Andreas Naive (a brillant mind), decrypted the encrypted set. All games have a 2nd set of controls that can be switched through the 'BIG' button. BTW, all are full working with sound.

- 0.128u7: Improvements to Goldstar driver [Roberto Fresca]: Hooked the 3x PPI 8255 devices to Cherry Bonus III (Version 1.40). Reworked the inputs based on PPI 8255 connections and added the unmapped PSG sound. Some works on the machine driver. Some cleanups. Changed description of '(New?) Cherry Bonus III' to 'Cherry Bonus III (Version 1.40)'.

- 0.128u6: David Haywood added '(New?) Cherry Bonus III' (Dyna 19??) and 'Cherry Bonus III' (Dyna 19??). Not working.

Scott

Cod3Red

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 10:54:57 pm »
Thanks for your response. Based on what you said and made reference to I assume it is possible to get the cherry bonuss iii rom working on the raspberry pi being that the version is compatible. What I'm most interested in now is whether or not the arcade buttons which is 12 for the cherry game will work as the same as the original game.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 01:38:40 am »
I assume it is possible to get the cherry bonuss iii rom working on the raspberry pi being that the version is compatible. What I'm most interested in now is whether or not the arcade buttons which is 12 for the cherry game will work as the same as the original game.
People have managed to get recent versions of MAME working on the RasPi, however you would probably find it much easier to use an old Windows PC for this particular project.

Check out Arrow Direct for some good deals on off-lease PCs -- remember to look around for discount codes.

You'll need LEDBlinky for Windows (or RGBcommander for Unix) and an LED controller board (PacLED64, LED-Wiz, etc.) to make the buttons light/blink like the original game.
- The Info.dat entry mentions that the lamp outputs were hooked up in 0.153.

Scott

Cod3Red

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 08:25:04 am »
Good morning PL1, please see photos of bartop style setups I'm currently working on. So based on your response I won't be needing a desktop for my project as I want to minimize the need for unwanted space. In photo sent you should see the cherry bonus iii pcb board 'that's one heck of a board I got there'. I want to be a minimalist in my new project hence the need for the Raspi.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:03:05 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 08:29:20 am »
That is really classy. Are you 14 years old?

Cod3Red

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 09:00:56 am »
That is really classy. Are you 14 years old?

No I'm not 14 Mike A, I'm just fond of making arcade games for amusement and I'm thinking of experimenting with Raspi as my main game board. Have you tried it with games such as poker?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 09:26:10 am »
Before you get too much farther, you should read through the FAQ.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160809113045/http://newwiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=FAQ

The design process described in the "2.1 What type of build meets my needs?" entry is your friend, especially steps 2 (game list) and 4. (required controls)

Scott

Cod3Red

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 04:35:01 pm »
Good news I have here. I was lucky enough to get a working cherry bonus iii rom played in mame 0.184
My next quest is to find out if the raspberry can manage the emulator and the game plus the wire connections for arcade buttons

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 10:47:12 am »
Good news I have here. I was lucky enough to get a working cherry bonus iii rom played in mame 0.184
My next quest is to find out if the raspberry can manage the emulator and the game plus the wire connections for arcade buttons

search for GPIO mame apps for rpi.