Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Reading .nv files  (Read 2072 times)

mike5im5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2021, 03:22:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Reading .nv files
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:40:17 am »
Hi All,

I'm a bit new to the software side of emulations and wondered if someone could help explain a few things to me?

I wanted a way to extract and share high scores between my brother and I playing on two different systems (he lives on the other side of the world). I recently built him a pi3 based gameboy and it will be really good for us to get competitive on some old coin ups (track and field, galaga, 1942 etc).

I'm a competent C++/java programmer so writing a utility to upload the data to a web server and hosting it with a nice front end would be easy enough for me.

However my binary/hex knowledge is very thin.

Can someone tell me if it's even possible or point me in the right direction? I'm assuming that save data should be in the .nv file somewhere so as long as I could find references to where this is. I could extract and interpret it in some way.

Questions:

1. Does the format/content of the .nv file change between different versions of mame?
2. Should I be using the highscore.dat and .hi files instead? Is this even supported?
3. Will the highscore.dat point me in the right direction in terms of where high score values are kept? Can anyone explain to me the format of the highscore.dat?
4. Is there already another service already doing all of this and am I wasting my time?

Many thanks for anyone that could enlighten me. Much appreciated!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Reading .nv files
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 10:57:41 am »
You could text him your score. :dunno

mike5im5

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 11:02:30 am »
You could text him your score. :dunno

Did I mention I'm a geek that loves to build/over engineer everything?  8)

Seriously though, assuming you're just light hearted kidding as I kinda figured this forum was here for like minded individuals who liked to build things?

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 09:10:45 pm »
Check out HiToText and hi2txt.

mike5im5

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 03:20:53 am »
Check out HiToText and hi2txt.

Awesome. That's great.. so looking at these it should be possible to read directly from the nv files. However an additional definition is required additional to the hiscore.dat.

Thanks!

mike5im5

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 08:45:06 am »
I'm having a bit of trouble with hi2txt.

I can get it working with .hi files. However I can't seem to get it to work with the nvram files directly. Games like track & field don't seem to generate .hi files so was hoping to extract the high scores directly form the nv file.

Has anyone achieved this with hi2txt? The descrription implies it might be possible but I can't find any docs describing how?