Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Windows XP  (Read 2602 times)

gamepimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
Windows XP
« on: June 05, 2018, 04:38:11 pm »
So I'm trying to resurrect a couple of gameboy flash carts from way back that have been collecting dust in my closet. They are so old that the software to transfer files to them is meant for windows 98/ME/XP. I took an old computer I had lying around with Vista on it and downgraded to XP. I thought I had a good serial number for it, but it doesn't seem to work. In retrospect, the serial might be for the 64 bit version and not the 32 bit one.  :( I really don't want to spend much (if anything) on a serial for an OS that is way out of date and no longer supported, especially since the machine will only be used for these flash carts and possibly to run older emulators that work best on XP. I'm wondering if anyone might have a spare serial laying around that they aren't using or if someone can recommend a place to get one cheap (or better yet, free)?

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:09:00 am
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
Re: Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 08:22:30 pm »
I assume you've already tried googling images of COA's?
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 08:46:18 pm »
WHich version of XP are you trying to install ??

I've got an old XP Home Edition SP2 OEM Key you can try - It's been laying around for several years so can't guarantee it will work but I'll send you a PM with the key.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 09:15:18 pm »
I assume you've already tried googling images of COA's?

I thought about consulting the Googles for a key, but I really want to make sure it’s a legit one. I figured there has to be a ton of them out there at this point.

WHich version of XP are you trying to install ??

I've got an old XP Home Edition SP2 OEM Key you can try - It's been laying around for several years so can't guarantee it will work but I'll send you a PM with the key.

Thanks a million for the key JDFan. I actually installed XP Pro SP2 and updated to SP3 before M$ forced me to enter the key. If I can’t get one specific for this build, I will install the Home version and try ur key.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 09:36:27 pm »
Thanks a million for the key JDFan. I actually installed XP Pro SP2 and updated to SP3 before M$ forced me to enter the key. If I can’t get one specific for this build, I will install the Home version and try ur key.

Sent another PM !

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:09:00 am
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 10:59:25 pm »
I thought about consulting the Googles for a key, but I really want to make sure it’s a legit one. I figured there has to be a ton of them out there at this point.

No offense, but what difference does it really make if it's a key somebody here gave you or it's one found via Google? I'm legit asking here.

Btw, if JDFan's key doesn't work, I might still have a few old install keys myself lying around if I can find them. I'll keep watch of this thread for any updates.
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 08:03:52 am »
The key JDFan sent me worked like a charm. Thanks again for that.

SlammedNiss: Since many people upgrade their systems to new OS', I figured some people on this forum would have their old serial #'s for XP that they wouldn't mind parting with. My concern with using Google to find one was that I would probably get a key that 1000 other people have used. I'm not sure if that would even matter necessarily since this OS is no longer supported. Just trying to be as legit as I can be. I'm not trying to rip off M$ (even though they don't seem to have a problem with doing that to consumers from time to time)...

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 09:41:00 am »
The key JDFan sent me worked like a charm. Thanks again for that.
+

Glad it worked - will mark that key off the list so it doesn't wind up getting used at some point down the road.

No offense, but what difference does it really make if it's a key somebody here gave you or it's one found via Google? I'm legit asking here.

Think it is more that the ones found via Google could be in use by thousands of users which eventually usually means they will be blocked by the MS servers ( Not that it really makes a difference with XP since it is mostly used Offline for safety at this point) - but it can become a pain to be constantly getting the key blocked and then having to do another search and reenter a new key. By having one that is given to you privately there is much less chance of that happening since that key isn't posted all over the web and the MS servers will usually not block it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 10:26:12 am by JDFan »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 09:36:46 am »
Just download a copy of tinyXP and install.

What i've done in this situation was download TinyXP and install it as a virtual PC using VirtualBox.
map your usb ports or whatever and grab your data.