Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME OTG Pi build with just 4 items in the cart.  (Read 8696 times)

Phreakwars

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:52:39 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
MAME OTG Pi build with just 4 items in the cart.
« on: June 16, 2018, 04:12:51 pm »
Gonna have a little time off from work in a couple weeks so I ordered some stuff to make a mini-MAME setup that I can take with me on road trips, or at hotel stays for the kids and myself to enjoy.

I didn't want to have to bother with finding a monitor or TV with HDMI to plug it into, so I chose to use a 7" touchscreen with case. Here is a link to the parts.

V-Kits Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ (Plus) Basic Starter Kit [LATEST MODEL 2018]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BDRD3LP

Raspberry Pi 7" Touchscreen Display
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0153R2A9I

Case for the Official Raspberry Pi 7" Touchscreen Display - Adjustable angle

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HV97F64

2.4 GHz Wireless USB Controller Compatible with Super Famicom Games, iNNEXT SNES Retro USB Classic Controller Joypad Joystick for Windows PC MAC Linux Raspberry Pi Sega Genesis (Multi-Colored Keys)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DHZNW52

I figure just those 4 items should get me up and going, have a couple micro-sd chips around here for it that I'll use to load retropie on.

For good measures, I also ordered one of these, though, it is not needed:

SmartiPi Touch back HAT cover - 15mm deep

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071J7SLM8

It also come in 37mm depth.

Now one of the things I'd like to do, is add onboard speakers or even just 1 mono speaker. I see there are "lego" type mounts I could utilize on the case for speakers, trouble is, just finding the dang speakers and lego mount to go along with it. Otherwise, not really that important, I can always have a set of headphones for it when it comes to sound.

No pics of it yet, because I just ordered the parts of course.

I'm gonna run this with a wireless controller for now, but hope to transition it eventually, into a little portable mame cabinet with arcade style controls. Possibly a mini "COCKTAIL" mame. I've yet to see one of those with a Pi.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 04:17:39 pm by Phreakwars »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:51:45 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: MAME OTG Pi build with just 4 items in the cart.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 07:21:58 pm »
Why didn't you just buy a cheap laptop? That would have been much simpler and more portable.

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Waka-Waka
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 10:34:00 pm »
What seriously? That takes all the fun out of it. If I wanted to MAME on a laptop, I'd power up my MSI GL72 that I have Hyperspin installed on and go at it.

In all honesty, I just wanted a little side nerd project to work on while I have a little time off. Wasn't exactly out to save a buck.

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Waka-Waka
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 10:41:47 pm »
But anyways, I've been looking around at what is available for the Pi. Thinking I should have probably ordered the 37mm back cover instead, then modify it to fit speakers and a daughter board for the pie into to get sound out of it. I've played with Pi before, pretty sure I can make this a pretty clean, professional looking little setup with little, to no soldering. Also thinking KODI installed with it as well. Might need to add buttons for power and reset too, still reading documentation on all this junk. but anyways, this is the sound board I am thinking of:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B38GDCY
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:49:43 pm by Phreakwars »

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Waka-Waka
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 05:19:34 pm »
So I finished the build. Was easy as..uh.. Pie  ::) But anyways, I ended up using the raspiaudio DAC hat with the built in speakers. This stuck out a bit further then the small cover could handle, but lucky for me I also bought the larger cover for the back too, so no probs.

With the added depth of the bigger cover, I might later on.. use some bigger speakers in it, and perhaps mount a cooling solution onto the Pie's CPU. Thinking I'll need a pin extender ribbon, will look around for one, I'm sure they probably make them.

Another thing I did, was bought a new power supply that supplies a little more amps then the official one does. This is because I am powering both a Pie and the screen, along with whatever draw the Raspiaudio DAC needs. I also got an adapter that let me put a power button on the power supply, this way I won't have to worry about wearing out the jack, or unplugging it from the outlet.

I know when many people make arcades with a Pie, they'll usually load it up with tons of systems, but not me.. I'm old, I like old school, so this one is loaded only with Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Odyssey2, GBA, NES, Genesis, SNES, and a little over a thousand MAME games. In addition to that, I also enabled Pixel/LDME so that it can be used for casual net surfing. All that on a 32gb micro-SD, and I still have about 10 gigs to spare.

Also picked up a Rii mini wireless keyboard and touchpad. Very useful for emulators like the 5200 or Odyssey2.

Altogether, it cost roughly $200 to make when all was said and done. Here are some pics of what it looks like.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:21:14 pm by Phreakwars »

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Waka-Waka
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 01:28:24 am »
After reading more documentation and playing around with the pie a bit more, I figured out I didn't need to use the 40 pin connector on back to power my screen, I opted to instead use a splitter on it. This allowed me to utilize the smaller case cover. Here is an updated side view with the smaller depth cover on. I like this way much better.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 09:27:35 am »
In this situation I would of gone with a $50 amazon firetab and the Nostalgia front end with retroarch.
then got a tablet stand.
Would not of been as pretty an interface though but would of saved ya a few $$ and probably performed faster.

but then you wouldn't of had the fun of building it.  :applaud:

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 10:29:52 am »
I know when many people make arcades with a Pie, they'll usually load it up with tons of systems, but not me.. I'm old, I like old school, so this one is loaded only with Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Odyssey2, GBA, NES, Genesis, SNES, and a little over a thousand MAME games.

:laugh2: 7 consoles and 1,000 arcade games -- Glad you decided not to load it up !!  :laugh2:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 02:16:44 pm »
I was just thinking the same thing.

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Waka-Waka
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 08:41:44 pm »
 :laugh2: Yeah, "loading it up" to me means I install the DS/N64/PSX/GC/Wii/ETC roms in my collection. Plus all the what... 10,000,000 MAME games?

If I remember correctly, right now it's sitting at 5800 games with 10 gigs free after scraping all the artwork. And yep, I for sure could have went way cheaper but passed just because I wanted to build something.  ;D

I like the Smartipi case though. I'm gonna use it as a template for another build. Wanna attempt a mini cocktail. I'm thinking for that one though, I'll limit it to just MAME, and just vertical games that take no more then 2, maybe 3 buttons. Thinking with what I have in mind, I'll have 2 buttons on each side too for pinball titles. Hoping to do this all in a 6"x12" frame. The Smartipi case is like 8 1/2"x 4 1/2". The screen itself is about 3 1/2" high x 6", so a 6x12 frame should leave plenty of space for artwork on the sides. Thinking I could use the same underlay design that I used on my son's full size cocktail. Kind of a mini version of what he has now that he can put in his room on his desk.

Here is a video of it running:

! No longer available
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 08:49:40 pm by Phreakwars »

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Waka-Waka
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 09:07:55 pm »
BTW, does anybody happen to know where I can find smaller arcade type joysticks and buttons, or am I SOL?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:42:35 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 10:46:21 pm »
BTW, does anybody happen to know where I can find smaller arcade type joysticks and buttons, or am I SOL?
Define "smaller".   :dunno

Medium-small joystick:
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Momentary-Fixing-Thread-Joystick/dp/B009IMS44K/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OCG3FRI/

Tiny Grayhill 04A-B01 joystick:
https://www.alliedelec.com/grayhill-04a-b01/70216782/

Once you find a suitable joystick, the buttons should be easy to find.

Scott
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 10:52:40 pm by PL1 »

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Waka-Waka
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 12:44:32 am »
YES!!! Thank you sooo much!!

Those seem to be exactly what I am looking for. I know the smaller buttons should be pretty easy to find. I've seen them here and there on some of the cheaper kits on Amazon, so I would think I'd be able to buy them individually. On my very first arcade build with the Player's choice 10 cabinet, I reused the small red buttons for the admin controls. Thinking of doing the same for the mini cocktail as well just because the proportion is right.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 01:43:00 am »
There is a wide variety of Sanwa/Seimitsu 24mm buttons -- some threaded, some snap-in -- at Paradise Arcade Shop and Focus Attack.

If you want something a bit smaller, there are some pretty good snap-in Sanwa SDM-20 20mm (14mm plunger) and Sanwa SDM-18 18mm (12.6mm plunger) buttons at Paradise.

Scott

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Waka-Waka
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 03:28:09 am »
Hmm, think I'm gonna order 1 SDM-18 and 1 SDM-20 so I can compare them and see which I like. The only reference buttons I have here at the house are just some standard Suzo Happ's. Those if I remember, are what.. 30mm??? Took out my tape measure to one to kind of eyeball what the diameter of the SDM-18 and 20 would be. It almost seems like the SDM-18 is what I am looking for, yet that almost seems too small. So I think the only way I'll be able to figure it out is just buy one of each and compare them, then order accordingly. Have already printed out a mock underlay to scale with the Pi screen on a plain sheet of paper, cut out the center and taped it over the Smartipi case. Trying to calculate dimensions for the joystick housings based on the uxcell joystick's dimensions and the given specs for the Sanwa's. Next I need to calculate depth. Nice thing about a Raspberry Pi, is the stackable hat system. Kind of eyeballing the Pimoroni Picade HAT which has joystick+6button+4admin. I think that would work for 2 player if I assign 4 of the buttons to joystick. I only need 2 of the admin buttons, so that leaves 2 buttons for each side for fire buttons. Retropie uses the select button for coin and start+select to exit. Gonna have to figure this all out, I'm probably missing something important, but damn, that's what I love about little projects like this, just wish I had all the time in the world to make one over and over. Just happen to be on temp layoff at Polaris as we switch over to the 2019 model year motorcycles, so I have some free time (finally), to get this and that done before it's back to overtime in a few weeks. Hopefully I get all these little projects I want to do done. Working on an Indian AMI-50 restoration too. Here's a couple of other little restorations I have done this last year.

! No longer available
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 03:37:31 am by Phreakwars »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 05:04:41 am »
Hmm, think I'm gonna order 1 SDM-18 and 1 SDM-20 so I can compare them and see which I like. The only reference buttons I have here at the house are just some standard Suzo Happ's. Those if I remember, are what.. 30mm???
1-1/8" = 28.575mm

The plunger diameter is 22mm.

Took out my tape measure to one to kind of eyeball what the diameter of the SDM-18 and 20 would be. It almost seems like the SDM-18 is what I am looking for, yet that almost seems too small. So I think the only way I'll be able to figure it out is just buy one of each and compare them, then order accordingly.
The Happ Super handle diameter is 33.5mm and the Happ button plunger diameter is 22mm -- 3:2 ratio

The bat-top stick listing on Amazon lists the handle diameter as 14.5mm.

To keep the exact same ratio, you'd need a button with a 9.7mm plunger, but as you mentioned it's a good idea to keep the buttons big enough to fit your fingers comfortably.

LMK if you want any other measurements like the bezel diameter.

Scott

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Waka-Waka
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 05:53:03 am »
What thickness of wood would you recommend I go with for those buttons and joystick? I see the Sanwa's just pop in. I've never used that type before, I've always used Suzo Happ. The cabinet itself I got someone in town building for me since I suck at woodwork, but have decent skills in Autodesk AutoCAD (though I might use Blender too because I'd have to use the PC at work for AutoCAD)., but I'm thinking I wanna go 1/2" thickness because that's the smallest in T-molding sizes if I'm not mistaken. I'm assuming the Sanwa's fit comfortably in 1/2".
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:57:36 am by Phreakwars »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 09:35:04 am »
1/2" would probably work since the SDM-18 and SDM-20 bodies are about 1/2" deep under the bezel.
- Haven't tried installing them in a wood panel.
- The SDM-20 has a small anti-rotation tab under the bezel requiring a notch.

I was thinking metal panel with wood sides like this, if you can find someone to drill and bend it.

Depending on the panel size, you might even be able to 3D print it.

Scott

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 11:28:01 am »
Here's a 3D printed bartop from Thingiverse.

Picture similar-shaped control panels on a scaled-down (low-profile?) cocktail design.

Scott

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Waka-Waka
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 02:50:39 pm »
This image kind of got me thinking a bit.

I was thinking about the thickness of the metal, not so much the bend. It kind of gave me a pretty cool idea. I'm thinking the green area could be wood, and the red area a thick plexiglass. I could tint it Limo black on the bottom then add some RGB strips to the underside, then use an RGB HAT to program/control it all. This would be a neat looking alternative to RGB controls like my son's full size has, and since it would be tinted, the light wouldn't be too distracting. This would also help address the depth concerns using the Sanwa's. But then it also means I might need to rethink how it's all gonna be powered. Too much draw on a Pi causes a low voltage warning with a little lightning bolt on the screen, or possibly won't boot at all, so if I integrate RGB into it, I'll probably want it to have an independent power source, but I think with the dimensions I have in mind, it shouldn't be too much of an issue to stuff a couple power packs on an AC splitter inside. One for the Pi/screen and one for RGB strips on both sides. Yep, for sure I'm gonna have to wait till sample buttons arrive to sort that out.

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Waka-Waka
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 09:36:26 pm »
Here's a 3D printed bartop from Thingiverse.

Picture similar-shaped control panels on a scaled-down (low-profile?) cocktail design.

Scott

I think I see where you are going with this, and again, thank you, I can see this working out. I'm picturing dimensions of 12"L (not counting joystick panels) x 6"W x "6-8"H for the main cabinet. Bout the size of a standard keyboard with controls installed. The overall legth would make it fit perfect on a table for 2. NICE!!

That could work well because the joysticks and buttons wouldn't have to be completely vertical, and more at an angle for easier playing and wrist posture.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 09:45:49 pm by Phreakwars »

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Waka-Waka
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2018, 02:31:09 am »
Rough draft and concept with side pinball buttons (feel free to copy or modify everybody). Yes I know, joystick on the right not left, and yes this is on purpose. I was always a right hand joystick, left fire, type player, my son prefers that way as well. How cool would it be to play Coleco Pacman on this?!?!?!

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:46:01 am by Phreakwars »

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Waka-Waka
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2018, 05:21:23 am »
Back to this underlay. I think a simple way to do this, is print it out on vinyl and make it an OVERLAY of a piece of plexi glass. If you look close in the image you can see holes where the top to the arcade cabinet gets screwed in. If I go off this same concept and mount the plexi over the main frame using the artwork as an overlay, It will give me the shielding over the 7" Pi screen which will recess a bit under and I won't have to fiddle with trying to glue anything to make it look good and smooth. Plus, to make the screws on the top look better, I'll just use some of those plastic caps you can pop on them to give it more of a "miniaturized" look.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 06:29:11 am »
Are you committed to those graphics?

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Waka-Waka
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 06:48:33 am »
Yes, but I think I'll need to resize or move some of them because if I wanna stay in a 6" wide frame, I have to subtract 3 and 1/2" inches for Pi screen, which leaves me 2 and 1/2, or rather 1 and 1/4" for each side. I'll let my daughter handle that. I'd think she'd like use multiple layers to isolate the pacman characters from the background and resize in photoshop.. hell I don't know. I can kinda figure it out, but I'll just let her do it or one of my buddies at the motorcycle shop. I'm thinking the frame itself can still remain 6", and the plexi would protrude over it to keep the proportions right, gaining me say another inch of width on the sides, and more art space.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:52:50 am by Phreakwars »