Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A new lightgun?  (Read 35529 times)

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:22:05 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: A new lightgun?
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2018, 12:40:46 pm »
Unless things have improved drastically in the last few years, online gaming with a projector sucks. Most projectors were laggy. My current projector is like 6 years old. I don't know if current projectors are more responsive. The screen is also too big for online shooters. You have to move your head and eyes over the giant screen too much to be competitive. Mix those two elements together and you have severe frustration.

If you are not playing online the giant image is lots of fun. Sit close to the screen while playing a driving game. It was kind of like VR before VR headsets became somewhat affordable.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2018, 12:47:50 pm »
The problem with all the currently available home light guns (or IR etc) is that they are poor quality. The implementation is more important than the underlying tech.

Anyone that has played Raw Thrills Terminator Salvation Deluxe arcade (the one that doesn't use fixed guns) will know that, if done right, IR arcade guns are every bit as good as the older arcade light guns. They may even be superior.

I played Terminator Salvation on one of the cabs with a flatscreen monitor and the guns worked really well, no matter where you stood. No calibration or poor response issues at all.

I've lost all hope that anyone is ever going to make a home arcade gun that matches up to real arcade guns. I'm trying instead to track down one of those adapters to use real arcade guns with mame.

Or, maybe someone here could buy a real Raw Thrills Terminator Salvation gun and camera to see if it works with mame.... the Terminator Salvation "PCB" is really just a PC and the gun connects via USB so....maybe....

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2018, 01:02:24 pm »
Unless things have improved drastically in the last few years, online gaming with a projector sucks. Most projectors were laggy. My current projector is like 6 years old. I don't know if current projectors are more responsive. The screen is also too big for online shooters. You have to move your head and eyes over the giant screen too much to be competitive. Mix those two elements together and you have severe frustration.

If you are not playing online the giant image is lots of fun. Sit close to the screen while playing a driving game. It was kind of like VR before VR headsets became somewhat affordable.

I haven't played shooting games online but my projector had no issues when playing Street Fighter 4 online. As with Tv's and monitors, choosing the right projector and settings matter.

There is nothing intrinsically worse with response time between the lcd's used in projectors and those used in monitors. Lag is made noticeable by excess and unnecessary image processing (like scaling and frame interpolation). These features are (or should be) turned off when "game mode" is turned on and, you have fed the projector the native resolution of the panel.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:49:54 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2018, 01:14:08 pm »
There is nothing intrinsically worse with response time between the lcd's used in projectors and those used in monitors. Lag is made noticeable by excess and unnecessary image processing (like scaling and frame interpolation). These features are (or should be) turned off when "game mode" is turned on and, you have fed the projector the native resolution of the panel.

Except that a lot of projectors don't use a single, cheap LCD.  Once you add multiple LCDs, DLP, color wheels, digital distortion correction, etc... the processing gets a little more intensive.  My UST laser projector has a lag of ~140ms when in the mode for the best color reproduction (which is amazing, BTW).  The game mode, where much of this processing is turned off, has a pretty dull and lifeless image.  On the other hand, my triple LCOS panel projector doesn't have as much lag, but it's still slower than my plasma display.

There's just more going on in the guts of projectors which needs to be corrected for the screen being used.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2019, 02:17:04 am »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2019, 02:19:06 am »

There is another thread running dedicated to it atm :)

Views have changed allot and I am in for 2.

DarthBS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2019, 01:35:39 am
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2019, 06:18:09 pm »
What happened to the kick starter?? It says it's hidden
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:23:41 pm by DarthBS »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:50 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2019, 07:44:07 pm »
What happened to the kick starter?? It says it's hidden
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sindenlightgun/the-sinden-lightgun

If it doesn't show up for you, it could be because most of the rewards are labeled "Ships to only certain countries"
- The 5 IPs you've posted from on BYOAC show up on Plot IP as "ISP Unknown  User/Unknown". (no country data)
- KS might set the campaign to hidden if they can't tell which country you're from based on your IP address.   :dunno

Scott

MrLightgun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2022, 10:38:07 pm
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2019, 01:16:48 pm »
Hi Chaps

The failed Kickstarter last year has been available for around a year but I asked Kickstarter if I could hide it to prevent confusion when I launch my new Kickstarter.

The new Kickstarter is here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sindenlightgun/the-sinden-lightgun

Thanks

Andy