Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars arcade gamel 1983 controls?  (Read 2122 times)

acidblue0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2020, 11:50:52 pm
Star Wars arcade gamel 1983 controls?
« on: June 15, 2018, 07:32:45 pm »
What can I use to play this game? I don't need the original yoke but is there something I can use that I can play this?

JimmyU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
Re: Star Wars arcade gamel 1983 controls?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 07:39:08 pm »
You can find a cheap flight stick or even a mouse works surprisingly well.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:39:28 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 08:43:23 pm »
As JimmyU mentioned, there are two basic categories of controls that work reasonably well for this game:

1. Flight yoke/analog flight stick/analog stick

2. Trackball/mouse

Anything else like an 8-way stick will have problems with responsiveness, speed, accuracy, and/or resolution.

Scott

acidblue0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2020, 11:50:52 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 08:46:28 pm »
Hmmm. I'll try both. Thanks

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 08:56:28 pm »
Another possibility:  Has anyone tried playing SW using an Aimtrak light gun?

Seems like it would work similar to a trackball/mouse.   :dunno

Scott

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 10:13:25 pm »
Star Wars should also be quite playable with most positional guns, like Terminator 2 ones.

Actual light gun would probably be less than ideal, as it probably wouldn't be shooting exactly what you were aiming at.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 11:43:36 pm »
Star Wars should also be quite playable with most positional guns, like Terminator 2 ones.
True.  They're just fancy analog joysticks.   ;D

Actual light gun would probably be less than ideal, as it probably wouldn't be shooting exactly what you were aiming at.
Perhaps I'm missing your point, but an "actual light gun" like the NES Zapper or arcade equivalent wouldn't work because of the game logic (no CRT raster timing and hit box flash), but a mouse-simulating IR-LED-bar-tracking gun like Aimtrak should work fine with the game software.

If you hold the gun at the normal height and focus on the sight picture you probably will have targeting problems.

Seems like it would work better if you hold the gun lower and maybe closer to you while focusing on the screen -- handle it like a triggerstick instead of a gun.

Scott

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 08:42:08 am »
So Scott asked me to try this with a Aimtrack to see if it works.

Now I have to say before I start I have NEVER played this game before so have nothing to compare it to or even know if I was playing it right LOL

That being said I can confirm that with some tweaking of the analogue settings this can work.

Basically I had to adjust the speeds a little for my taste and I had to invert the Y axis as it was going up when I was aiming down which is fine for a fighter jet but its to much of a head ---fudgesicle--- for a light gun LOL

Anyways after doing that I was able to fly around while aiming like I would normally,  Which to some degree is the only problem I faced.

Because I have to stand so far away from my screen (Which is only 19" and has dark plexi over it) I could not see the cross hair of the ship so good as its dark green on basically all black.
Going down the tunnel was easier for me due to the colour change, So if you can brighten up your screen a bit or have good ideas yeah it seems to work fine.

Hope thats some help to you :)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 02:01:01 pm »
Thanks for the confirmation, Titchgamer.   :cheers:

Scott

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 03:21:55 pm »
Thanks for the confirmation, Titchgamer.   :cheers:

Scott

Anytime :)

Discovered a new light gun game today called beast busters lol

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 05:16:52 pm »
Star Wars is best played with original hardware. Since someone at KLOV is making it......

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 09:27:38 am »
Star Wars is best played with original hardware. Since someone at KLOV is making it......

Yep, I already explored this.  Rebuilt an original yoke, had that RC usb interface and mame.....
If you are very familiar with the original game, or had it mastered you won't be pleased with the emulation experience.
It misses the mark quite a bit and doesn't really let you get into that zen feel that is the beauty of SW in the trenches.
I checked with a mamedev about making it better but was told the issue is in the vector to raster conversion throwing things off from original.

I sold the yoke, metal panel and interace for over $700 bucks on ebay. eee-gads.....

If you see one in a retro arcade play it and enjoy it, they are a PITA to keep running so if you get to play a working version it's a real treat.
cheers.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 10:32:29 pm »

Yep, I already explored this.  Rebuilt an original yoke, had that RC usb interface and mame.....
If you are very familiar with the original game, or had it mastered you won't be pleased with the emulation experience.
It misses the mark quite a bit and doesn't really let you get into that zen feel that is the beauty of SW in the trenches.
I checked with a mamedev about making it better but was told the issue is in the vector to raster conversion throwing things off from original.

I sold the yoke, metal panel and interace for over $700 bucks on ebay. eee-gads.....

If you see one in a retro arcade play it and enjoy it, they are a PITA to keep running so if you get to play a working version it's a real treat.
cheers.

I have an opposite egads. I sold an entire project Star Wars cockpit for something like $900-$1000 back in the old days when $900 would have bought any vid.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.