Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Switchres not functioning as expected  (Read 8541 times)

hhhikikomori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2023, 05:18:20 pm
  • #1 Ikegami fan
Switchres not functioning as expected
« on: June 15, 2018, 12:19:01 pm »
Hey all! New forum member and GroovyMAME user here. I have been having some issues getting GroovyMAME working as intended. CRT_emudriver has been installed properly and I am able to get games running on my CRT, but switchres isn't automatically changing the resolution as it should. Below is my setup:

GroovyMAME v0197b (with matching CRT_emudriver installed)
Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
AMD Radeon R7 240
VGA out to Extron RGB 192V (to combine H and V sync)
BNC out of the Extron RGB 192V into Ikegami TM20-20R
**Note: My PC has two video cards. I have a GeForce GTX 980Ti as my main video card, and the Radeon is a second video card that is ONLY hooked up to my CRT. However, the CRT is set up as an extension of my desktop, so it is one out of four displays connected to my PC. I have GroovyMAME's screen0 set to \\.\DISPLAY6, which is my Radeon/CRT.

By default, after installing everything correctly, the resolution was set to 640x480@60 (interlaced). However, whenever I run a game from GroovyMAME, it has no switchres error popups, but it does not change the resolution. It shows the correct switchres resolution, and even shows the same resolution when I check the machine information mid-game. The only way I've gotten around to this is by using Arcade OSD to manually set the resolution to 2560x240@60, then launch GroovyMAME again. It looks great this way, but it still involves me manually changing my desktop resolution for each game, which defeats the purpose of switchres. I know it would help you guys if I gave you some more info (like mame.ini settings, logs, etc.), so what should I give you guys? And how do I generate logs? I am not using command line to launch GroovyMAME by the way.

Also, do machine settings .ini files trump whatever settings live in the mame.ini file? For example, if I set my frame_delay and other settings as something in mame.ini and I have something different for a machine .ini, will the machine one take priority?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 12:20:34 pm by hhhikikomori »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: Switchres not functioning as expected
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 12:35:01 pm »
Welcome, check my signature about creating logs (you need command line) and we'll start from there.

(machine.ini has priority over mame.ini)
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

hhhikikomori

• Offline Offline
  • #1 Ikegami fan
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 12:47:22 pm »
I ran the command line successfully but cannot find the .txt file that it generated. I went to the Start Menu, chose Run, and entered in the following:

C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\Misc\MAME\groovymame0197b_64bit\mame64.exe -v sfa3 >sfa3.txt

If I did indeed do this correctly, where is the .txt saved?

EDIT: Whenever I run this command, the prompt window opens and close in the blink of an eye so I can't quite catch what it says. But I did see it long enough to make something out about the command not being valid or recognized.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:22:42 pm by hhhikikomori »

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 04:18:47 pm »
If I did indeed do this correctly, where is the .txt saved?

Should be in the same directory as your MAME executable. See attached example.
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

hhhikikomori

• Offline Offline
  • #1 Ikegami fan
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 04:03:12 am »
I can't seem to generate a log for the life of me! I'm doing everything correctly but it keeps on telling me that it doesn't recognize that command.

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 04:32:00 am »
did you change the name of the exe to mame.exe from the default or something?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 04:34:21 am by Sledge »

hhhikikomori

• Offline Offline
  • #1 Ikegami fan
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 12:57:47 pm »
Nope, it always has been "mame64.exe". I haven't touched it at all!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 01:14:31 pm »
Please don't use the start menu->run for this, open a cmd box instead, and cd into the directory before running the command.

Put the folder in c: to make your life easier.

Until Windows 8.1 it was so easy to open a cmd box directly into a given directory, just shift+right click on the desired folder, "Open command window here". Unfortunately Microsoft has removed this much essential feature in Windows 10.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

hhhikikomori

• Offline Offline
  • #1 Ikegami fan
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 01:29:32 pm »
Ah, I had no idea! Finally got it to work, as per your instructions. I really appreciate it!

Here is the log for sfa3! Let me know if you need anything else.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:32:50 pm by hhhikikomori »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 01:45:34 pm »
You need D3D9ex for multimonitor after Win XP. Download the D3D9ex GM build, and simply replace the GM executable in your current folder, and it should work.
Steps to create a log:

hhhikikomori

• Offline Offline
  • #1 Ikegami fan
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 02:09:14 pm »
I downloaded the d3d9ex version of GM and replaced my current mame64.exe with it. Currently, my .ini settings (for mame and the machines) had "video"set to d3d. Nothing changed. I then set them to "d3d9ex" but it just shows a black screen. Is there something I need to do differently for this to work?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 02:29:42 pm »
Set -video d3d (it's the same option for d3d and d3d9ex)

Believe it or not, you'll need to change either the folder's name or the executable name for it to work, once you have run the plain d3d version in your system this is necessary.

Steps to create a log:

hhhikikomori

• Offline Offline
  • #1 Ikegami fan
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 02:39:36 pm »
I changed both the name of the .exe and the folder to something different (and changed my mame.ini and machine .ini -video settings back to d3d) and it's still not working :( Even though switchres says it's switching to 2560x240@60, my monitor is still stuck on 640x480@60.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 03:05:24 pm »
Please post the new log.
Steps to create a log:

hhhikikomori

• Offline Offline
  • #1 Ikegami fan
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 03:29:29 pm »
Attached!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 04:18:26 pm »
I haven't tested multimonitor on W10. It works on 7 however. If you know how to use regedit, search for the word "shims",  and delete any key that's related to MAME. If that doesn't fix it, then it means D3D9ex is partially broken for W10, unfortunately.

There's something wrong too with your log in an unrelated aspect, for some reason it's triggering -filter while it shouldn't. This means it's not understanding the super resolution configuration. If you've got any machine.ini file, try deleting it and create a log again, with just your mame.ini present. And post your mame.ini just in case.
Steps to create a log:

hhhikikomori

• Offline Offline
  • #1 Ikegami fan
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 04:40:40 pm »
I went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Direct3D > Shims > MaximizedWindowedMode and deleted the mame EXE from there. I then removed the machine INI files from the GM folder, and also set -filter to 0 in the mame. ini. Same result, unfortunately! Here is the log and the INI file for you!

P.S. I had to ZIP the mame.ini file since it wouldn't let me upload it by itself.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 05:05:54 pm »
Ok, now the -filter option, etc. is ok, so there was a problem with the machine.ini.

With regards to mode switching, the only thing I can think of is to try disabling the other output of your AMD card, from the screen properties dialog, so only the one with the emulated EDID is active.
Steps to create a log:

hhhikikomori

• Offline Offline
  • #1 Ikegami fan
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2018, 06:17:22 pm »
I'm not sure how to access individual output settings for the AMD card on Windows 10 (it seems to be different than I remember). When I look at VMMaker it only sees analog0 (the VGA output) as active. Is there something I'm missing?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 04:47:16 am »
I mean the screen dialog that you can access when you right-click on the desktop, I think it's called display settings these days, you'll need to get in advanced settings.

I'm not sure what you'll find in there, but you seem to have two "displays" available related to the AMD video port, \\.\DISPLAY4 and \\.\DISPLAY6. I'm wondering if you may disable the one you're not using, in case you're not.

There's also the possibility of making the AMD the primary desktop card, I'm sure this is not what you want but it would be interesting to see if it changes anything.
Steps to create a log:

hhhikikomori

• Offline Offline
  • #1 Ikegami fan
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 11:35:05 am »
So, apparently my version of Windows 10 Pro (16299) removed the Advanced Display Settings option...so I can't access that. Also, I tried making the CRT my main display but nothing changed either. I'm just going to keep setting it manually (which is not that big a of a deal, to be honest). I really appreciate the help though! :)

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2018, 09:40:44 am »
I suggest to move for windows 7 unless You have really new hardware and/or only windows 10 licence. The most used system for groovymame I think is still windows 7 although many people are still sitting on windows xp.

But when I tested 2 monitor set up I also had problems but specifically with AMD legacy cards. Somehow HD5xxx worked fine, at least at that time.

hhhikikomori

• Offline Offline
  • #1 Ikegami fan
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 07:59:15 pm »
I wish I could go to Windows 7! However, it's my work computer so I cannot downgrade it. Maybe I'll wait for a new version of GM/switchres to come out! But for now, I can work around it.

NYI

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2020, 11:01:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 12:55:25 am »
I wanted to chime in because I have a similar issue to OP - the "super" resolutions don't seem to do anything except keep the display at 480i.

My setup:

Windows 7 64 bit
Radeon HD 7870  ----> RGB 192v
980Ti as primary card ---> two lcd monitors
-Latest Groovymame, D3d9ex version

Because I always have at least one LCD monitor connected, the display is "extended" to the CRT.

I've tried removing all displays from the 980ti and connecting one of the LCDs to the Radeon - that didn't seem to affect anything. I've tried only having the CRT connected, but as soon as I remove all other monitors, the display goes nuts on the CRT - could be a 31khz resolution being sent?

I've tried both setting the CRT to be the primary display, and setting the -screen0 option to set the CRT as screen0 - but still 480i, even though SwitchRes gives no errors.

I've also tried the emu4crt build of mednafen, and set that to use super resolutions, but I end up with a small box within the 480i image - so perhaps this is not just a Groovymame issue?

The "usermodes.ini" resolutions do work, though - including in emu4crt and in Groovymame.

Please let me know if there is any other information I could provide to help get to the bottom of this issue.

Some additional info:

-I've tried using arcade_OSD to change the resolution to 2560x240P manually on the CRT - it works, because the arcade_OSD menu looks fine, but anything not arcade_OSD is unviewable/skewed/crunched.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 08:41:07 pm by NYI »

HiroWorship

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2018, 01:49:13 am
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 10:54:39 pm »
I too am having this problem, with a simpler setup than the other 2 posters (only 1 video card).
Since this appears to be occurring in both Windows 7 and 10, I would be very interested in contributing to trying to find a solution to this.
I know Calamity is busy this summer (and I have the utmost respect for everything that he continues to do for this community - amazing work!) but if the information here can eventually result in a fix that would be great.

My setup is:

Windows 10 64-bit
Radeon R7 250 VGA port ----> Extron RGB 160xi ----> CRT
Radeon R7 250 DVI port ----> 1080p LCD monitor
RT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 for GCN cards
Groovymame 0.197 D3d9ex version

I am getting the exact same symptoms as the other 2 posters even with 1 video card installed (although I do have an integrated Intel video in the CPU, a Pentium G3258): I install everything according to the instructions, create modelines using super resolutions in VMMaker, and GroovyMame shows the super resolution when booting a game but the display to the CRT remains interlaced (I can tell from the tell-tale flicker).
I did a full clean re-install of Windows 10 with the internet completely disconnected (to prevent a graphics driver update from overwriting CRT Emudriver) and the symptoms are the same.
Similar to the other 2 posters, if I manually set the CRT monitor to 2560x240 in the Windows display settings, GroovyMame will display the games correctly in 240p on the CRT but this does make the Windows UI stretched out and unusable.
It also means resolution must be manually switched for games that are not 240p.

If I can provide logs or anything else that would be useful, I am happy to do so.

Calamity, I know you are busy so please only reply when/if you have time, but I have a thought (it might be completely wrong of course, I am not an expert by any means).
Prior to the R7 250 I had a HD6450 (a non-GCN card, of course) with Windows 10 and super resolutions worked perfectly.
I see that the other posters in this thread that have had the same problem are using GCN cards.
Is it possible that the way CRT Emudriver works with GCN-based cards (or the way that those cards handle multiple resolution switching when connected to more than one display) is different than non-GCN cards and that is causing the issue?
I ask because NYI says it is happening on Windows 7 as well, so I wonder if it is a driver-side (or hardware-side) issue rather than an OS-side issue.
Just a thought.

I really appreciate this community and please let me know if there is anything else I can test to try to solve this.
Many many thanks!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 02:40:19 pm »
I'm noticing something odd in hhhikikomori's logs.

Is it possible that you have some extra .ini file that GM is reading, apart from plane mame.ini. If so, can you try removing it, and just leaving mame.ini?
Steps to create a log:

hhhikikomori

• Offline Offline
  • #1 Ikegami fan
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2018, 06:09:05 pm »
I removed every .ini file except for "mame.ini" from my GM folder. Here is the log after I did that! Unfortunately, it's still not changing the resolution.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 04:38:54 am »
Hi hhhikikomori,

Please get me a log with this test build.

Thanks!
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 03:30:53 am »
I'm waiting for your log, hhhikikomori. I'd like to release a new version and this bug is the only thing making me delay it.
Steps to create a log:

hhhikikomori

• Offline Offline
  • #1 Ikegami fan
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 01:44:07 pm »
Sorry about that! I got really busy and sort of forgot about it.

Here is the log I generated with that build you sent me! The resolution still didn't switch as expected, FYI.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2018, 01:59:01 pm »
Thanks. Can you check if -switchres is enabled in mame.ini?
Steps to create a log:

hhhikikomori

• Offline Offline
  • #1 Ikegami fan
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2018, 02:14:54 pm »
switchres in OSD FULL SCREEN OPTIONS was set to 0 - I changed it to 1 and now it works perfectly!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2018, 02:20:28 pm »
 :cheers:

A reminder for everyone: download my full package, leave all defaults and get it running. It will save you time and pain.
Steps to create a log:

hhhikikomori

• Offline Offline
  • #1 Ikegami fan
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2018, 02:31:41 pm »
Thanks a ton for all of the help, by the way! I really appreciate it.  :D Moving forward, should I keep using your build, or should I go back to the original one? Should I make sure switchres is enabled in the game-specific INI files as well?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2018, 02:36:58 pm »
Moving forward, should I keep using your build, or should I go back to the original one?

The one I sent you has some bug fixed that will be on next release (coming tomorrow).

Should I make sure switchres is enabled in the game-specific INI files as well?

Of course. You shouldn't need game specific inis, and in case you need one make sure to only add the options you need to override, not the whole mame.ini file renamed, otherwise GM won't work.
Steps to create a log:

HiroWorship

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2018, 01:49:13 am
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2018, 02:31:03 am »
I just wanted to post and say that the new GroovyMAME 0.200 build fixed this issue for me as well.
Thanks so much for the continued updates and support Calamity!
You are the best!