Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need Input: Vertical Cocktail, Spinners vs Trackballs?  (Read 1118 times)

AZDude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2022, 04:41:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Need Input: Vertical Cocktail, Spinners vs Trackballs?
« on: June 15, 2018, 12:47:05 am »
I want to build a Vertical Cocktail Table.

Basically, the purpose of this cocktail table is to include any games that would be better played in a vertical table vs a horizontal upright -ie- anything "head to head" (play at the same time with one player on either end of the table playing - ie- Pong), or, any horizontal/verticals that 'make sense' for a cocktail table (classics that flip screen when player 2's turn). Any horizontal ones I can do in Cocktail Mode/Split Screen, if it makes sense to include them.

I only want to use a 4-way joystick for this cocktail table. I also plan on using 3 (maybe 4 max) buttons, not counting coin/select/admin buttons.

Here's my question: Should I put in spinners or trackballs on either side?

I can think of some GOOD games for the trackballs, but I also plan on building a large pedestal cabinet later which will include a trackball as well- so those TB games will be included in that build later on. The purpose of this cocktail table is mainly to include any games that play really well head to head, and make more sense in a vertical cocktail cabinet.

I'd love to hear input, pros/cons of either way! Thanks in advance!

THANKS GUYS!

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Re: Need Input: Vertical Cocktail, Spinners vs Trackballs?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 09:21:55 am »
If you plan on putting one or the other, pick the track ball.

With that you will be able to play both Spinner and Trackball games.

Both use mouse input so just set the X+ and X- and dont touch the Y for spinner games. (MAME settings)

That way for Trackball games you will get the full control, and for the spinner games you will just get the Left and Right scrolling.