Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Aimtrak gun issues : recoil and "lost signal"  (Read 2096 times)

karias31

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2018, 02:56:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Aimtrak gun issues : recoil and "lost signal"
« on: June 14, 2018, 03:42:05 pm »
Hello everyone!

I just bought an Aimtrak gun with recoil, and a power suply for it.
I calibrated it, and can play several game on pc or emulator with
very good accuracy (point blank without crosshair for example).
The sensor view check panel shows a good signal and two points visible.
There are no IR interference in the room.

However there are issues :

1- the cursor sometimes go crazy and get stuck to the edges/corners of the screen.
It happens randomly, and go back to normal randomly too . Sometimes it seems like wiggling the gun around help,
but not always (launching the calibration routine make it work again , but it will fail again at random,
 even without moving at all).
I have tried different positions/distance in the room, even with all lights off and at night,
different angles for the IR bar, etc...

2- I have a problem with the recoil .
When the gun is "cold" , I can fire 30 times in a row without failure.But then , it will start failing
every 3 or 2 shots, I can see the light on the power supply going off/dim when it happens.
It seems like the PSU cannot charge itself fast enough for the demand, even when setting the recoil strength very low
in the aimtrak sofware. The PSU is 36V and 4.16A
link : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112016634523

I will return it and buy a new one but can somebody point me toward a model that will work with no loss of recoil strenght??
For example, there is this one recommended on the Ultimarc website : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/262181938884

3- Now the weird stuff , but since I'm lost anyway :
Firing the gun with the recoil acting up (because of the PSU) makes the ultimarc software sometimes goes "no device" for one second , then reconnect.
While firing on the windows10 desktop to test things, it would suddenly stop clicking on screen : the button assigned in the utlity software
were being set to none by magic .

I hope some good souls can help me fix or diagnose these issues! (because when it works , it is AWESOME)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Aimtrak gun issues : recoil and "lost signal"
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 02:16:14 am »
Are you near any reflective surfaces like glass?

They can cause the erratic behaviour.

As for your options magically changing ive never come across that :s

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 06:36:00 am »

There is evidently a problem with the power supply but the other issues are data loss on the USB connection.

The Aimtrak has a long cable so the port needs to be working perfectly. Any motherboard USB drivers need to be installed. Try another port, preferably from a different bank of connector pairs.

karias31

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2018, 02:56:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 12:20:59 pm »
Thank you for your help!
There are no reflective surface anywhere, and I checked for IR interference all across the room, there seems to be none.

I'm in the process of testing other USB ports right now, I'm not using USB hub, all the ports are directly on the motherboard.
I'll be posting the result at the end of the weekend.

Edit:
I have checked everything I could. Some of my issues might be because of me, but some are too weird to ignore. I'll be returning this gun and get another one.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 02:26:13 pm by karias31 »