Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Button overlays for specific games - where to print on polymer?  (Read 3083 times)

ItchyRobot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2019, 03:23:47 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I have an old Devastator II controller that I am using for MAME. I have created a template in CAD (see attached image) that I would like to print out on a stiff plastic that I can use as an overlay for specific games (to stay loose - held on by the 6 bottons, not stuck on) . I would like it to stay somewhat stiff to help keep it in place, so I imagine the plastic would need to be about 1mm thick. Another idea is to print it out on vynil, but I am a little worried about the life of it being so flimsy, and to ability to store them without hassle.

Do you guys have any suggestions at where to get these made? Or have alternate ideas on how I should/can approach this idea? It seems like this may have already been done by someone else before, but I can not find any examples through Google.

*see attached image for Defender/Stargate template example
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:46:52 pm by ItchyRobot »

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
Re: Button overlays for specific games - where to print on polymer?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 09:18:38 pm »
I don't have a source for you, but I think you'll have trouble with the template sliding around on the rounded edges of the buttons. You might be better off with a software solution. Years ago there were programs like CPViewer that popped up control panel images when you paused MAME. I don't know if something like is still available, and if maybe that would be better for you.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 08:18:18 am »
why not print on card stock or translight?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

ItchyRobot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2019, 03:23:47 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 09:00:54 pm »
I don't have a source for you, but I think you'll have trouble with the template sliding around on the rounded edges of the buttons. You might be better off with a software solution. Years ago there were programs like CPViewer that popped up control panel images when you paused MAME. I don't know if something like is still available, and if maybe that would be better for you.
That would be a great tool. I wander if Launchbox has this feature? That's the front end I plan on using once I finish building my setup.
As for the possibility of sliding... I was too thinking that could happen. I figured I could spray some rubber cement glue on the back to help grip if needed. The paper template that used to test it works good though. Only one way to find out  =)

why not print on card stock or translight?
Card stock is an option. I was just thinking plastic would be a little more permanent. I have never heard of translight... I will look into it.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 07:28:25 am »
Translight is what marquees are printed on, and some pinball backglasses
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.