Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Street Fighter 3 themed slim cabinet (pic heavy)  (Read 4299 times)

Nightfall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2018, 08:20:34 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Street Fighter 3 themed slim cabinet (pic heavy)
« on: June 13, 2018, 02:58:26 am »
Hey guys,

long time lurker here. I've beend reading here for a couple of years now, watching what awesome projects you all built. And I always said to myself "I'd love to own something like that as well".
So after some rough times I decided to talk to my dad if he'd be willing to help me do this. He's way more of a handyman than I'll ever be, so it was his call. He said yes and we started doing it. That's why most of the praise should be towards him. I'm so entirely grateful to him for doing this project with me. It wouldn't be anything without him.

For reference we used the plans from koenigs.dk. His Project Mame was the base for this. And since Street Fighter is my favorite video game series and Third Strike my favorite entry, I decided to make that the theme. Since I prefer the original Street Fighter 3 logo to the 3rd Strike one I ended up using this for the marquee. Originally I also planned to have a sideart, but I decided against it to keep it rather minimal. It'll get a nice place in the living room now, so it shouldn't be too flashy or distracting.

It uses a Raspberry Pi 2 and is hooked up to a 21" monitor. Buttons and sticks are Sanwa and I added 2 USB ports to the front for controllers, keyboard, or whatever you could need.

So here, without any further introduction, I present you my build. If you have any questions or comments, please let me know :)

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
Re: Street Fighter 3 themed slim cabinet (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 11:42:25 am »
I think it is incredibly cool that your dad helped you out on this... This hobby should be enjoyed as a bonding experience. I love that control panel, the art is super simple and the metal control panel is a great touch. How did you guys manage making that?

How is the Pi treating you? I have always been a PC guy. What frontend are you using?

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:02:56 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 11:48:59 am »
That is some nice work. I like the 4:3 monitor.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 11:46:56 am
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 12:47:46 pm »
Really nice job.  Clean lines and a great design.  Looks like it will be a blast to play. 

Where did you find a 21" 4:3 monitor?

Nightfall

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 10:54:51 am »
I think it is incredibly cool that your dad helped you out on this... This hobby should be enjoyed as a bonding experience. I love that control panel, the art is super simple and the metal control panel is a great touch. How did you guys manage making that?

How is the Pi treating you? I have always been a PC guy. What frontend are you using?

Thanks :) it was a really great experience, that's for sure!
The control panel is made from a sheet of stainless steel. Since the company my dad works for does have the tools we let it laser cut and bend there.

The Pi is actually running really well. Holds up nicely with most arcade games and SNES or other consoles. It can even handle some PSX games which is pretty amazing. As a frontend I use recalbox. It's quite similar to retropie but a bit easier to use.

Really nice job.  Clean lines and a great design.  Looks like it will be a blast to play. 

Where did you find a 21" 4:3 monitor?

Thanks :) as for the monitor I got it used off eBay. It took quite a bit of time to find one that was 21" but it was definitely worth it. Fits the cabinet really nicely and the bezels aren't to great.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:31:38 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Street Fighter 3 themed slim cabinet (pic heavy)
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 11:23:21 am »
I love the control panel art. A perfect example of a classic panel, and not cramming three or four ‘roided characters on the panel with joydicks just because “OhmyGodIthinkitlooks socool*squee!!!1!1”*. Easily one of the best builds I’ve seen this year.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:24:58 am by yotsuya »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 02:46:57 am »
where did you get the L channel / marquee retainer from?

looks good

Nightfall

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 04:56:51 am »
I love the control panel art. A perfect example of a classic panel, and not cramming three or four ‘roided characters on the panel with joydicks just because “OhmyGodIthinkitlooks socool*squee!!!1!1”*. Easily one of the best builds I’ve seen this year.

Wow, thanks! Never thought I'd get that much praise.

where did you get the L channel / marquee retainer from?

looks good

Thanks. I got them at a local hardware store (somewhere in rural Germany). They where originally silver but we painted them black. It turned out quite good. I just hope the color won't come off.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 11:25:02 pm »
Nice build. How did you do the bend in the control panel and what gauge metal did you use? Does it have any flex to it or did you need some support behind it?