Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Slim MVS4 with active Marquee.  (Read 16413 times)

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Slim MVS4 with active Marquee.
« on: June 12, 2018, 03:42:58 am »
Putting this here now although may be a few weeks before any wood gets cut. (Got a few things to finish off in garden first). I Will be looking for Opinionions/recommendations on this one.

I've had a Bartop for a few years now, but it just doesn't get the love it should do.  Because of this I am going to sell the bartop and start again with a full size unit.  For this build I have decided to go with Jakobuds MVS4 plans but I will be adding another row of buttons giving the standard streetfighter layout with extra button.  I also plan to take about 10" off the back of the unit,  I will keep the general shape so the only difference will be the height of the vertical piece at back.

The plan is building from ply or similar and then laminating.  (Any recommendations for close match to Neo Geo Red available in the UK?)

To make an active marquee I am going to use a 25" Widescreen and for the main screen area I wanted to be able to play both horizontal and vertical games as close to original sizing as possible, to do this I am planning on using  a 43" 4k screen mounted vertically (Approx 1/2 screen should be visible), This will then require custom resolutions and layouts creating which may take some time.  (Any recommendations on what Video card/software is capable of doing this kind of thing easily)

As for art,  I think I will just go with the standard NeoGeo MVS transfers resized a bit due to the machine being on the adkins diet, and also use the standard control panel art with relevant modifications for credit buttons and the like.

Ideally I would like to install a coindoor for the aesthetics (Anyone got any good links for UK suppliers?).

I'll add some images and stuff later, gotta go to work now  :hissy: :hissy:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Slim MVS4 with active Marquee.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 10:18:38 am »
I don't see the benefit of using a 4K display unless you have an extra one in a box collecting dust.  A 1080p display will work fine with nearly identical results.

love the MVS4 cab shape and look forward to following along
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 05:41:27 pm »
The price difference between non 4k and 4k is negligible and it should allow many more options for resolutions.  I'm hoping to get a viewable area about 2000x2160 (So can still have full HD displayed in the visible area)  If I use a standard full HD I would be looking at about 1000 x 1080, Which is fine for most emulators and stuff but not so good for music videos (Although to be honest I could always display those on the Marquee monitor :) See attached modified Jakobud plans, may be a tiny bit off but should be good enough.

Green is 24" Monitor from work, without stand is 13" High,  Black underneath will be speaker location
Red is 43" Screen (Will purchase) Looking at the sight lines I should have approx 22x22" visable screen area (Maybe a touch more).

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 06:57:19 pm »
OK I have been looking into Laminating options,  I don't have a legit Neo-geo so can't compare, but looking around the Fire red seems to be a fairly good match.  I have found a company in the UK that can supply Blaze red as follows.  If anyone thinks one of the other options would be better let me know.

Red = https://www.morland-uk.com/shop/shop-fit-out/laminate-sheets/formica-hpl-laminate-sheet-f2824-blazered.html?___SID=U

And now for one of those Opinionion moments,  Should I use Textured or untextured for the black?
Textured Black = https://www.morland-uk.com/shop/shop-fit-out/laminate-sheets/morland-hpl-laminate-sheet-black104.html?___SID=U
Matt Black = https://www.morland-uk.com/shop/shop-fit-out/laminate-sheets/formica-hpl-laminate-sheet-f2253-diamondblack.html

Alternatively should I use osb/mdf bonded board and then paint.  Personally I like the Idea of Laminating but get the feeling if I cock it up then it will get pretty expensive pretty fast :)

For speakers I have a spare set of Logitech X530's I figure I should be able to fit them underneath the monitor firing out front,  I will then have the centre speaker behind the monitor firing down and the 2 rear speakers can be located left and right of the centre pedestal area.  I'll have to remove the circuit board from the front speaker and wire that in elsewhere so I can still have access to headphone options and volume control.  I do have a spare logitech zx5400 set but A) the speakers are too large to fit in the available space, and B) I don't need 310W of power in an arcade machine,  not even if that machine was Guitar hero or Dance Dance :) :) :)

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 07:36:11 pm »
Coindoor,  looking into coindoors and can't really find anything readily available in the UK, I have though found the following

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Arcade-Machine-Cabinet-Door-2-Coin-Slot-Comparison-Mech-MAME-JAMMA/362343865733?hash=item545d609d85:g:QKgAAOSwNNVbF6Eh
I can then hang one of these underneath
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcade-Game-Metal-Coin-Door-Access-For-Coin-Acceptor-Doll-Machines-Accessories/202336748172?hash=item2f1c35c28c:g:MEQAAOSwfp9bGrnj

Alternatively I could get a panel made up and use 2 of these but it would cost more and require a custom panel to be made so definitely leaning towards click and forget :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Plate-Assembly-With-Cradle-For-3-5-Arcade-Coin-Mechanisms/371961635110?hash=item569aa42126:g:DWgAAOSwjjpa9EYw

Shienarier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2020, 05:20:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 11:24:30 am »
Nice thread.

I would have gone with the matte black, to match the matte red.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 05:01:24 pm »
Yep the more I look at it the more I think Matte all round will be the best choice.

I figure that building this machine would be possible using a straight edge and a skill saw, both of which I already have, But I can see a few places where I am going to need to make some interesting cuts on angles so I have decided that I may as well add to the tool kit and have purchased the following.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LYDELEC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Having looked at reviews for pretty much every table saw under 200 and coming to the conclusion that they were all going to be a little bit rubbish I moved up to the under 300 and the above came out a clear winner for the hobbiest.   I feel that it is a fair investment as I do have to make some storage for an upstairs bedroom which will have all sorts of weird angles involved.

I already have 2 Routers,  a jigsaw,  2 skillsaws,  a 210mm Sliding Mitre saw,  more drills and bits then I can shake a stick at, a portable Drill press and I even have some 900mm clamps so I think that's all the tools I will need. (Actually scratch that, I really need to get/make a router table). I have access to an A0 plotter at work so should be able to print out the sides to full size.

Controls,

I want the controls to be mostly authentic to the style of the machine, Looks like either competitions, ultimates or IL Eurostyle, I am currently favouring the IL

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/il-eurostyle-joystick-with-cherry-microswitches.html

Buttons will be standard colour layout with BCD on both top and bottom rows, I will have an additional button on control panel for exit thus having 4 instead of standard 3.

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/white-il-concave-arcade-start-button.html
https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/il-psl-h-concave-arcade-button.html

johnm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 03:05:24 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 05:27:44 pm »

Join  UKVAC and ask if anyone has them spare or at least know where to get them
http://www.ukvac.com/forum/forums.html

Coindoor,  looking into coindoors and can't really find anything readily available in the UK, I have though found the following

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Arcade-Machine-Cabinet-Door-2-Coin-Slot-Comparison-Mech-MAME-JAMMA/362343865733?hash=item545d609d85:g:QKgAAOSwNNVbF6Eh
I can then hang one of these underneath
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcade-Game-Metal-Coin-Door-Access-For-Coin-Acceptor-Doll-Machines-Accessories/202336748172?hash=item2f1c35c28c:g:MEQAAOSwfp9bGrnj

Alternatively I could get a panel made up and use 2 of these but it would cost more and require a custom panel to be made so definitely leaning towards click and forget :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Plate-Assembly-With-Cradle-For-3-5-Arcade-Coin-Mechanisms/371961635110?hash=item569aa42126:g:DWgAAOSwjjpa9EYw

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 09:19:42 pm »
This looks like it is going to be sick.  Very cool idea with the monitor to get a larger 4:3 screen!   :cheers:

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 12:33:26 pm »
This looks like it is going to be sick.  Very cool idea with the monitor to get a larger 4:3 screen!   :cheers:

Thanks,  Its not exactly groundbreaking as it's been done before, But I was sort of surprised to see nobody had done an mvs4 with active marquee before.  The idea of slimming down did come from other users here though, sorry can't remember who exactly.

Anyway due to World cup, Shed Building, Handling Probate for my mothers estate, and my own glacier like speed of movement I haven't done anything else with this except for play around with the art a bit. See below draft of where I am at currently,  It's a very simple art set as per the original machine.  I'm using Gimp/Inkscape for the art and was hoping to just find a set of vectors,  For some reason I didn't come up with anything that I could easily use,  so far I have spent an evening redrawing all the lines,  I am fairly sure that as the thickness of the center lines shrink that the gap between the stripes increased so I just increased by 1 line thickness for each gap.   

What I am currently finding issue with though is creating a border around the buttons that I like the look of,  I'm happy with the BCD area, its the break out into the A area that I am not a current fan of.  Any assistance with the border and getting the Logo in Vector format would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows what font would be closest to the original font used that information would also be accepted with my eternal thanks :)  (Actually fixing the buttons may be as simple as adjusting the angle of the dangle to the same 30 Degrees as the art work lines).

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 12:37:47 pm »
I would ditch the A button altogether and curve the 6 button setup.  Something like this:

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 12:43:22 pm »
I would ditch the A button altogether and curve the 6 button setup.

I can't do that to a Neo-geo clone :)

That layout is basically the same layout I have on my bartop and whilst when I was laying it out originally I thought was the best layout to use,
But I recently played on a straight street fighter layout and oddly found it so much more comfortable to play :)

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 07:46:45 pm »
OK I was pointed to some Vector art,  Ended up merging that with work I had already done and now have the following.

Any thoughts?  I'm happy enough with it which is all that ultimately matters, But its nice to get opinions, even if I then ignore them entirely :)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 08:20:54 pm »
Your button outline looks like an upside down penis on Lorena Bobbits cutting board.

Is that intentional?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 01:01:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 09:59:30 pm »
Any thoughts?
1. The button surround shape is a wierd mashup of a narrow rounded rectangle and the wide pointy-curve of the original.   :dizzy:

Pick one style/thickness and go with that.

2. Consider bringing the lower left button a bit closer so the center-to-center distance is the same as the horizontal/vertical distance between the other buttons.

Scott

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 03:10:37 am »
Your button outline looks like an upside down penis on Lorena Bobbits cutting board.

Is that intentional?

No, But I do see what you mean :) :) :)  I think it's our fascination at work for leaving drawn penis' in random locations creeping into my subconscious (our favourite was the one left in the boardroom, drawn on an a3 flip chart board about 20 pages in so it didn't get seen for a few months)

Any thoughts?
1. The button surround shape is a wierd mashup of a narrow rounded rectangle and the wide pointy-curve of the original.   :dizzy:
Pick one style/thickness and go with that.
2. Consider bringing the lower left button a bit closer so the center-to-center distance is the same as the horizontal/vertical distance between the other buttons.
Scott

Thats what I need, something I can actually work with. I shall give it a go :)

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2023, 07:43:50 am
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 05:06:11 am »
Watching with interest - v v interested to see how the marquee/2nd screen works out. I really like the idea of the marquee changing with the game (though it's costly) but using it as the top screen for games like punch out and the like as well would work really well I'm sure. Fitting it all into the cab is the challenge but sure you've already sussed that.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 11:34:05 am »
Hey ho.  Been away a while..

This looks like it could be pretty cool. I like the shape a lot.

I went with matt laminate a while back for a cabinet and really like it. There's definitely a slight texture to it which is nice.

And 4k all the way if you're going for a large screen. If you're using game bezels they'll come out a lot clearer and running any of the shaders will make the game screen look better too.

If you go for that IL joystick let me know how you get on with it. I'm looking for a new stick for my Blip cab and that's much more the type of stick I grew up with  :)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 12:29:55 pm »
 :o

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 03:49:41 pm »
:o

You can't blame me for that, its the actual vector art shadow from a neogeo machine :)

Anyway, lets try this again,  how about this one.

(Yes I know that the buttons don't line up etc, but the above is a draft from which I can then get all lined up straight) etc :)

I think I'll line the top row of buttons up with the joystick by bringing all the buttons down Hopefully It doesn't affect palm space too much.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2018, 07:21:37 am »
OK As soon as I revisited the buttons it all became a little bit clearer and simpler to deal with :) I think I will stick with this one  :laugh2: :laugh2:

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2018, 07:33:54 am »
OK As soon as I revisited the buttons it all became a little bit clearer and simpler to deal with :) I think I will stick with this one  :laugh2: :laugh2:

This one is the best looking.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 08:10:39 am »

This one is the best looking.

I agree but I think it could still be better.  Why not curve the buttons?  You'd get the bottom row for ABCD but it would be more comfortable to play...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 01:01:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 08:14:27 am »
I think I will stick with this one
The outline looks pretty good, but will that layout feel good?

Have you made a cardboard test panel yet?

Finger placement: Thumb on A/ring-finger on D or index-finger on A/pinky on D?

If you use thumb on A and the top row for B thru D, that layout might work.

If you use the bottom row with thumb on A, it seems like the stretch would be uncomfortable unless you move A down a bit.   :dunno

Ergonomics first, then artwork/labeling.

Scott

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2018, 03:54:10 pm »
[This one is the best looking.

I agree but I think it could still be better.  Why not curve the buttons?  You'd get the bottom row for ABCD but it would be more comfortable to play...

@Locke141 Thanks, I've updated the image again with the latest updates. @Javeryh Nope, got the curved layout on my bartop and I find the Street fighter layout more comfortable to play.

The outline looks pretty good, but will that layout feel good?

Have you made a cardboard test panel yet?

Finger placement: Thumb on A/ring-finger on D or index-finger on A/pinky on D?

If you use thumb on A and the top row for B thru D, that layout might work.

If you use the bottom row with thumb on A, it seems like the stretch would be uncomfortable unless you move A down a bit.   :dunno

Ergonomics first, then artwork/labeling.

Scott

If using A button then B-C-D from top row would be the ones to use : As for comfort a printed sheet feels comfortable. Thumb on A and next 3 fingers on B/C/D :)  I will do a test panel before finalising art,  The joy of what I have done so far though is it is all separate layers at 300DPI so I can just move and adjust accordingly,  I'm getting the hang of Inkscape again after all this time :)

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2018, 06:17:40 pm »
Unless someone can see something blatantly obvious that needs fixing  this is all I am going to do with the control panel  ::) ::) ::)

Anyone know the size of the segmented credit panels, also anyone know of a way of sending them information as credits are input (Would be nice to have them go down as games played to, (Maybe when Credit button pressed they increase and when start button is pressed they decrease) Must be a way of doing that safely with relays or something :)  Will have a hunt on google to see if anyone's done anything similar.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2018, 07:04:29 pm »
OK it looks like an Arduinio or Atmega and some of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-segment-LED-Display-Single-Double-Quad-ideal-for-Arduino-UK-Seller-Freepost/152508668087?hash=item23823998b7:m:m045Y_NlHiR6BV0lS_7F9Jg should get me what I want.  Will have to read up on a bit of coding,  If anyone is good with this kind of thing and can let me know everything I would need to order to achieve this.  I could just as easily edit the art and have 19 one side and 73 the other (Or something similar) But I think if I'm going to be going with the active marquee and this big monitor in vertical mode (May not bother with 4k as have seen a crazy deal on a Full HD LG Display monitor which is designed to be hung in Portrait mode,  Going to go give it a test to see how it does with gaming. If it is good it will save me about £200 off the total build cost :)

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 07:24:26 pm »
And time for any opinions, 

Do I go with LED RGB Buttons?
Or do I go with LED Single Colour Buttons?
Or do I go with Standard R/Y/G/B Buttons?

My Heart says LED RGB, My head Says LED and my missus says if I must go with anything then go with R/Y/G/B

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2018, 12:17:27 am »
And time for any opinions, 

Do I go with LED RGB Buttons?
Or do I go with LED Single Colour Buttons?
Or do I go with Standard R/Y/G/B Buttons?

My Heart says LED RGB, My head Says LED and my missus says if I must go with anything then go with R/Y/G/B
Haha!  Unlucky you with the missus!  My wife made me get LED' s.  Her exact quote was "If you're gonna do it, do it right!"

As for your build, I think the Spectra Eclipse in red from GGG would look awesome!
https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73&products_id=408

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

TheGreatRedDragon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 12:40:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2018, 03:30:50 am »
If I were building a Neo Geo I would use convex competition buttons.

In this case RGB presents a distinct advantage, since you're mashing multiple layouts together. If there's a justification for RGB controls it's a seven-button layout on a Neo Geo.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2018, 07:11:32 am »
If I were building a Neo Geo I would use convex competition buttons.

In this case RGB presents a distinct advantage, since you're mashing multiple layouts together. If there's a justification for RGB controls it's a seven-button layout on a Neo Geo.

We need a thumbs up Emoticon in here :)   This is the kind of thinking I can use to counter any monetary issues the wife has.  Mind you the amount her Disney infatuation costs me a year I would be able to build this with 4k OLED Screens and still be on the light side of the scales :)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2018, 08:10:56 am »
costs me a year
This indicates that you bring in the income. Why do you have to justify your expenditures for something as trivial as blinky buttons?
Assert your fiduciary authority. Spend the extra couple dollars boldly and don't ask permission or offer justification.

By the way, convex blinky buttons are garbage.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2018, 09:18:30 am »
costs me a year
This indicates that you bring in the income. Why do you have to justify your expenditures for something as trivial as blinky buttons?
Assert your fiduciary authority. Spend the extra couple dollars boldly and don't ask permission or offer justification.

By the way, convex blinky buttons are garbage.

Check, No Convex Blinky Buttons for Mike,  Don't get me wrong I don't have to justify my expenses to her indoors, But I do have to deal with her trying  to curb my tendancy to just spend for the sake of spending :)  What would you recommend as buttons Mostly playing Fighters with some SHMUP action :) (I think for anything else I may as well install one of my spare 21" 4-3s in Vertical mode to my current bartop set the joysticks to 4 way mode and strip the playlist right back to 4way vertical games only)   

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2018, 09:28:07 am »
Now you're talkin'. I am much more interested in the vertical bartop. Get yourself a nice leaf switch 4 way stick. Get some leaf switch buttons.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2018, 01:00:45 pm »
Now you're talkin'. I am much more interested in the vertical bartop. Get yourself a nice leaf switch 4 way stick. Get some leaf switch buttons.

Roger that,  Looks like I can get the following joystick and 6 buttons for less then £30 so thats a bonus

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/leaf-switch-ball-top-arcade-joystick.html
https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/Gold-Leaf-Arcade-Button.html (Anyone use these and can advise if they are any good?)

I'll look to swap out the left player side and leave the other side with the Mag Plus and the standard clicky buttons.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2018, 10:43:55 pm »
I don't see the benefit of using a 4K display unless you have an extra one in a box collecting dust.  A 1080p display will work fine with nearly identical results.

The one perk I can think of is that your bezel art can have very readable instructions and movelists without as much graphic design work.  (I got everything on bezels readable on Mimic at 1080x1080, but only narrowly, and often had to reformat them to make that happen.)

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2018, 03:08:36 am »
I went and had a look at the LG Pro and whilst it was perfect for still images, and pretty damned good for videos it was pants for gaming.  sooooo much lag :) Back to 4K again.  I've seen a Samsung UHD for silly moneys as it has a vertical line on the screen (I'm hoping its in the top or bottom 3rd of the screen, either of which can be hidden below the visible area).

Back on the Art,  Anyone know somewhere that does the SNK/MVS transfers for the sides of the machine?   

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2018, 07:07:16 pm »
Hopefully ordering a leaf joystick and some goldleaf buttons for the Bartop will placate Mike A for the information that is to come.

I have decided on the buttons for the machine and I am going down the route that Nephasth took for his Run and gun mame machine.  I shall be installing Translucent buttons with RGB lighting and black plungers,  Not sure if I will go down the Nephring road for the joysticks though.

So to finalise my controls I will be going with an Ipac Ultimate, 18 x Happs Translucent with RGB and 18 x Happs in Black.  I actually prefer the look of the Ultralux Translucent but don't really like the buttons themselves.   For the joyticks I shall be going with the Jsticks (Battop) instead of the Il's originally planned.  I'm beginning to figure with this one I may as well go big or go home, and as I am already home :)

As for the control panel I have sent details of the control panel round to a few metal working shops to see if can  get it laser cut.
Related to the plan for RGB is getting everything wired nicely,  So once again I shall take a lead from others and go down the molex route, Only being a cheapskate its sort of a molex clone :)

Housings
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/4958975/
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/6802120/

Connectors
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/4959653/
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/4959631/

What I am having a problem getting my head around is the right Crimp and Die set,  If someone who understands all of this wiring gubbins can help me out here and find a ratchet crimp and die (available in the UK) that would do those pins ,  It could be that I am missing something simple, but the recommended tools for the crimps almost cost more than the rest of the machine build is going to cost :)

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2018, 06:47:48 am »
Hopefully ordering a leaf joystick and some goldleaf buttons for the Bartop will placate Mike A for the information that is to come.

I have decided on the buttons for the machine and I am going down the route that Nephasth took for his Run and gun mame machine.  I shall be installing Translucent buttons with RGB lighting and black plungers,  Not sure if I will go down the Nephring road for the joysticks though.

So to finalise my controls I will be going with an Ipac Ultimate, 18 x Happs Translucent with RGB and 18 x Happs in Black.  I actually prefer the look of the Ultralux Translucent but don't really like the buttons themselves.   For the joyticks I shall be going with the Jsticks (Battop) instead of the Il's originally planned.  I'm beginning to figure with this one I may as well go big or go home, and as I am already home :)

As for the control panel I have sent details of the control panel round to a few metal working shops to see if can  get it laser cut.
Related to the plan for RGB is getting everything wired nicely,  So once again I shall take a lead from others and go down the molex route, Only being a cheapskate its sort of a molex clone :)

Housings
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/4958975/
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/6802120/

Connectors
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/4959653/
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/4959631/

What I am having a problem getting my head around is the right Crimp and Die set,  If someone who understands all of this wiring gubbins can help me out here and find a ratchet crimp and die (available in the UK) that would do those pins ,  It could be that I am missing something simple, but the recommended tools for the crimps almost cost more than the rest of the machine build is going to cost :)

I end up using my single h crimp hand tool more than my double h crimp ratchet tool. With the double, you ---fudgesicle--- up the crimp if your not dead on center. The single, I insert the crimp until the sheath wings stop on my tool and then squeeze. Perfect every time.

Ps I would ditch the tons of buttons and stick to 4. There’s tons of 4 button games to keep you busy in every genre of playing. It looks silly on a Neo Geo.

Check out my attractmode layout called mvscomplete. I thought of doing an lcd monitor for marquee and integrating it into theme, but ---my bottom--- is broke.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2018, 07:42:46 am »
I end up using my single h crimp hand tool more than my double h crimp ratchet tool. With the double, you ---fudgesicle--- up the crimp if your not dead on center. The single, I insert the crimp until the sheath wings stop on my tool and then squeeze. Perfect every time.

Ps I would ditch the tons of buttons and stick to 4. There’s tons of 4 button games to keep you busy in every genre of playing. It looks silly on a Neo Geo.

Check out my attractmode layout called mvscomplete. I thought of doing an lcd monitor for marquee and integrating it into theme, but ---my bottom--- is broke.

Thanks for that, Nephsath was able to help me out with the right kind of crimper,  Managed to find one UK side along with a bunch of terminals for less than £25  :laugh2: :laugh2:

I Ended up spending about £100 on the Ratchet tool and connectors, a decent wirestripper, 100Mtrs of wire, (Almost went all Black, but will go RGB-BL for the RGBS and Yellow/Black for all other controls, Also got  heatshrink tubing, 4.8mm quick disconnects.  Currently hunting a decent router table insert so I can make a router table panel to fit the table saw and sourcing the Particleboard/OSB for the actual build :)

I have knocked up a very basic cutting plan and it looks like to get the majority of the machine built from 3 sheets of 8ft b 4ft 3/4" OSB

I should hopefully have the shed and the Garden fence all sorted this weekend after which I can dedicate some time to this build :)