Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cobra Kai  (Read 8801 times)

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Cobra Kai
« on: June 11, 2018, 11:21:47 pm »
Just finished watching this and was surprised by how much I liked it.
There is a little Johnny Lawrence in all of us.
Plus some nice throw backs to the original karate kid.
Looking forward to season 2.

Lots of Role reversal or shoe is on the other foot with family dysfunction mixed in.
One kid turns from the dark side and another turns to it.

Has anyone seen this yet?

jamesjones626

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2019, 01:24:52 pm
Re: Cobra Kai
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 11:32:46 pm »
Good show. A little predictable as the story goes on but it is enjoyable.

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:44:54 pm
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 12:26:22 am »
I've acquired the episodes, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I just finished Barry last week and was going to start Cobra Kai afterward, just haven't yet.
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 09:26:06 am »
Good show. A little predictable as the story goes on but it is enjoyable.

eh a few times they had me thinking people change then...nope.

Makes me want to fire up the original karate kid.
I also think it's hilarious they have the actors now and can use original movie footage from the 80's of them for flash backs instead of getting young actors and filming it.

also interesting to see modern day's character's perspective of how things went down back in the day.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 11:36:33 am »
At first I thought "OMG, this writing is horrible, the characters are super shallow, and the choreography is worse than an 80's B movie."  But like a horrible train wreck, I couldn't stop watching.  I loved it for the cheesy story, the horribly shallow characters, and how they flirt with greatness but fall just short of the mark.  Every time you think it is going to get better, it makes a 180 and gets so bad, it's good.  By the end, I was craving another season, and I really hope they make it.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 09:35:35 pm »
It has supposedly beaten all original streaming shows this week on both Netflix and Hulu.

I'm watching karate kid now.
I felt nostalgic. lol.

edit:
"Sweet to lick"
"get him a body bag!"

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:09:29 pm by nitrogen_widget »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 11:38:05 pm »
One day, one of these days, I’m going to watch the Karate Kid rehearsal movie.  The director uploaded the whole thing to YouTube, it’s apparently uncommon for us peasants to see this kind of footage.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 11:43:10 pm »
Cobra Kai was way better than it had any right to be.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 11:49:50 am »
My favorite series by far... watched it twice now! It was that good. I'm actually just a so so fan of the Original Movie. I liked it but the sequels just kind of cheapened it for me (Kind of like Revenge of the Nerds).
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 08:17:49 pm »
Cobra Kai was way better than it had any right to be.

"I like your shirt"
"really?"
"no, it sucks"

I think Johnny Laurence is my new favorite character of 2018.
Was renewed for season 2.
Coors is paying for it.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 11:01:14 pm »
the writers must of come up with the idea after watching this video and thinking there is something to that.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 10:28:11 am »
I binge watched it Sunday.  I thought it was great, but it's a shame they rushed the timeline in the last few episodes to squeeze everything into one season.
The Robbie character didn't develop much.  Miguel's change was too fast and maybe should have been more ambiguous.

If Youtube had given them a 2 season guarantee like Netflix does with its shows, then the timeline could have been stretched.
I think the announcement of the tournament would have made a good season 1 cliffhanger and midpoint for the storyline that was squeezed into a single season.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 11:46:25 am »
I binge watched it Sunday.  I thought it was great, but it's a shame they rushed the timeline in the last few episodes to squeeze everything into one season.
The Robbie character didn't develop much.  Miguel's change was too fast and maybe should have been more ambiguous.

If Youtube had given them a 2 season guarantee like Netflix does with its shows, then the timeline could have been stretched.
I think the announcement of the tournament would have made a good season 1 cliffhanger and midpoint for the storyline that was squeezed into a single season.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel.  Both of Miguel's changes were too fast (nerd to Karate master to...whatever he was at the end)
At no point did I like the Samantha LaRusso character, she had absolutely no likeable qualities, which means she takes after her father I guess. Daniel's stereotypical fat video game nerd son could have been cut from the show entirely and it wouldn't have made a difference. Ralph Maccio is still a pretty terrible actor and the scenes that he is supposed to carry are sort of painful to watch.  His round house kick the coffee cup was laughable at best.  The story was telegraphed worse than a crane kick , and the conflict at the end felt rushed and forced.

There was no explanation of why the 50th tournament was suddenly popular, I doubt the return of Cobra Kai somehow sparked popularity. I don't think it was the blue mats either.

The hand plant mule kick was probably the dumbest ---smurfing--- thing I've ever seen. But the nostalgia feels were strong and it was worth watching. Yes, I was annoyed that they changed Mr.Miyagi's first name from Keisuke to Nariyoshi.

If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 05:03:20 pm »

I think towards the end there was a month or so of time passing between some episodes but it wasn't really clear.
I just assumed because of the progress the students were making between episodes.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 09:32:03 am »
bumping this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- for season 2, up to S02E08 its still pretty good.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 11:36:01 am »
YeahI enjoyed season 2.

Roll on S3 shits gunna get real!!

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 01:04:21 pm »
sweet it's back!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 03:39:25 pm »
The pacing felt better this time around. Sam is still super unlikable, even more so than before. Robby 's character was kind of a typecasted crummy kid trying to turn over a new leaf, but more often than not he's just a jerk. Johnny remains the best actor on the show, with Miguel a close second. The fat video game kid LaRusso was practically cut from the show and remains a pointless character.   Way more casting throwbacks , and I'm ok with it. Potential set up of Ali (Elisabeth Shue or maybe a recast?) coming back, be neat to see her. Daniel's wife also brings some much needed levity to the scenes and lets you kind of ignore Daniel's "acting"

This show has a way of making the "good guys" act like ---fudgesicle--- sticks and you root on Cobra Kai to clean their clocks. Demetrius at the party..... yeah not sure why anyone wouldn't let him catch a beatin. This season definitely forces you to suspend disbelief more than the first, and there's a ton of plot holes but I have to admit, Im a fan of the show.

Side note, look up Martin Kove's IMDB -->  https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0184392/?ref_=tt_cl_t4
dudes been in everything!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 10:49:20 pm »
I don't know what show you were watching, but half of the cobra kais (not all of them) were complete ---Deutsche Frankfurters---.  It was all team Miyagi do this season until, just like last season they magically did a flip-flop in the last episode and half of the good guys started acting evil for no apparent reason.  I like the show but they need somebody else to write the season cliff hangers.... a brawl at the school that leads to paralysis?!?  It's a sports tv show, not a very special episode of Walker Texas Ranger. 

I just hope this isn't the final season... They initially did the show to promote youtube red and it's already gone...  now it's youtube premium but I don't hear any good news about the subscriptions going up.  The Tick was cancelled the other day and that show is fantastic. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 07:08:50 pm »
The Tick?
WTF?
Fuk this ghey earth.