Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Gabinetto Project  (Read 4281 times)

radio47fool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2018, 02:20:21 am
  • Welcome to my life
The Gabinetto Project
« on: June 11, 2018, 10:19:55 am »
Hey guys, how's it going?

I had my project start up this weekend, and I appreciate any comment and critic on my work.

Here's the imgur link for the 1st weekend of works: https://imgur.com/a/mrYVYjF

See you next weekend!
Let's make some noise!

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:47:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: The Gabinetto Project
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 10:22:38 am »
Burn it and start over. Ask a bunch of questions and look at good builds before you start again.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 10:31:32 am »
Looks ok for a first attempt. No need to be a ---tallywhacker--- Mike!!

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 10:49:14 am »
That is my honest assessment. Aircraft carrier control panels are garbage. Would it be helpful for me to lie to him?

radio47fool

• Offline Offline
  • Welcome to my life
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 11:10:03 am »
Thanks for your comment Mike, but can you be more specific? What do you see so tragically "wrong" that makes you wanna fire it up?
Let's make some noise!

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 11:12:52 am »
That is my honest assessment. Aircraft carrier control panels are garbage. Would it be helpful for me to lie to him?

Even though it is harsh, I agree with this.  A lot of times I just won't comment on something if I don't like it but criticism is good if you have an open mind.  Recently there seems to be a lot of people jumping into this hobby (this is good!) without wanting to spend the time to learn or do the research necessary to understand what works and what doesn't (this is bad!).  I also think that the ease of something like RetroPie and buying a flat-pack cabinet makes people think this is something that can be mindlessly churned out in a weekend with spectacular results.  RetroPie also seems to be contributing a lot to the mentality of building one cabinet with a frankenpanel to play "everything", which is ridiculous if you know anything about arcade cabinets (or you stop and think about it for 10 seconds).  I'm not saying this applies to the OP - just generalizing.

Sorry to derail the thread.  OP - you are doing a nice job so far with your woodworking for the first try.  You may want to rethink your control panel though.  4P will almost never get used even though you think it will and pretty much all of the 4P games are not that fun (and are all the same).  You also don't need 8 buttons per player and your trackball placement looks to be too high up on the CP (good luck playing Golden Tee and not breaking your fingers or smashing the monitor glass).  The 2P MAME CP has basically been perfected if you end up going that route - take a look at some of Knievel's cabinets for great examples of what works (and with switching or programmable joysticks you don't need a dedicated 4-way any more).  Other than the CP layout, the rest of it looks good to me.

Good luck!   :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:14:54 am by javeryh »

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 11:23:52 am »
Fire up Google and look at classic arcade cabinets. 99 percent of them don't have a giant control panel hanging off of them. Your design, especially with a slim cab depth, is front heavy. Forget the 4 player layout. I have an arcade room with over a dozen games. I have 15 or more guests on average twice a month. I am going to put a 4 player Konami cab in my arcade room because it is one of the few designs I do not currently own. If it was my only cab I wouldn't even consider it.

Also, Big boy points for taking my criticism. I will not ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- you. I am wrong as often as anyone else, but I won't sugar coat my reactions.

radio47fool

• Offline Offline
  • Welcome to my life
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 11:31:22 am »

Even though it is harsh, I agree with this.  A lot of times I just won't comment on something if I don't like it but criticism is good if you have an open mind.  Recently there seems to be a lot of people jumping into this hobby (this is good!) without wanting to spend the time to learn or do the research necessary to understand what works and what doesn't (this is bad!).  I also think that the ease of something like RetroPie and buying a flat-pack cabinet makes people think this is something that can be mindlessly churned out in a weekend with spectacular results.  RetroPie also seems to be contributing a lot to the mentality of building one cabinet with a frankenpanel to play "everything", which is ridiculous if you know anything about arcade cabinets (or you stop and think about it for 10 seconds).  I'm not saying this applies to the OP - just generalizing.

Sorry to derail the thread.  OP - you are doing a nice job so far with your woodworking for the first try.  You may want to rethink your control panel though.  4P will almost never get used even though you think it will and pretty much all of the 4P games are not that fun (and are all the same).  You also don't need 8 buttons per player and your trackball placement looks to be too high up on the CP (good luck playing Golden Tee and not breaking your fingers or smashing the monitor glass).  The 2P MAME CP has basically been perfected if you end up going that route - take a look at some of Knievel's cabinets for great examples of what works (and with switching or programmable joysticks you don't need a dedicated 4-way any more).  Other than the CP layout, the rest of it looks good to me.

Thats more like it :D I haven't still decided on the control panel, I haven't even got the wood for that yet, just because of this. I actually like the big CP with 4P controls, I personally like the look of it, but as you say, there are very few games that make use of those. Still... I like the look of the 4 player very much. Trackball is actually meant to work as a mouse, and I am not 100% sure that it will stay also.

While about the 8 buttons, I like fighting games a lot, so those are a must. I'm actually going to play even newer games like Guilty Gear Xrd on that cabinet, so you can tell there is no space for a Rasp on this project plans.

I've been lurking on this forum and others for years, before deciding to proceed and make "my very cabinet" (read "learn how to make a cabinet"), and I do appreciate a lot the time you spent on writing your post sir, I am open to critics even if it was only for the sake of discussion :D  :cheers:
Let's make some noise!

radio47fool

• Offline Offline
  • Welcome to my life
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 11:35:21 am »
Fire up Google and look at classic arcade cabinets. 99 percent of them don't have a giant control panel hanging off of them. Your design, especially with a slim cab depth, is front heavy. Forget the 4 player layout. I have an arcade room with over a dozen games. I have 15 or more guests on average twice a month. I am going to put a 4 player Konami cab in my arcade room because it is one of the few designs I do not currently own. If it was my only cab I wouldn't even consider it.

Also, Big boy points for taking my criticism. I will not ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- you. I am wrong as often as anyone else, but I won't sugar coat my reactions.

I see, as I wrote up here, I am still not sure about the CP for reasons, but the eye wants me to do a 4P, rather than a 2P. I will probably cut out a test panel of the 2 configuration and test it right on the cab.
I won't be having more cabs, so I really want to make sure I like this one. I'm sure you can understand  :cheers:
Let's make some noise!

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 11:43:16 am »
I won't be having more cabs, so I really want to make sure I like this one. I'm sure you can understand

That is why I offered my 2 cents.

Have you made a list of what games you want to play? That should have been your first step.

I need a rubber stamp that says "Don't sacrifice game play quality just so you can play 10,000 games"

You will not be happy with a cab that plays a ton of games badly.

I have a candy cab that came with a Pandora's box 3. Before I pared down the game list I would watch people just give up trying to find a game they liked. I cut the list down drastically. Now people like to play it.
(of course my ultimate goal is to stuff a Netdimmed Naomi in there eventually.)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 11:45:27 am »

This is pretty much the best thing I’ve read all year, and that’s why I really have a lot of respect for you as an old-school builder.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

radio47fool

• Offline Offline
  • Welcome to my life
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 11:56:11 am »
I won't be having more cabs, so I really want to make sure I like this one. I'm sure you can understand

That is why I offered my 2 cents.

Have you made a list of what games you want to play? That should have been your first step.

I need a rubber stamp that says "Don't sacrifice game play quality just so you can play 10,000 games"

You will not be happy with a cab that plays a ton of games badly.

I have a candy cab that came with a Pandora's box 3. Before I pared down the game list I would watch people just give up trying to find a game they liked. I cut the list down drastically. Now people like to play it.
(of course my ultimate goal is to stuff a Netdimmed Naomi in there eventually.)

I kind of have a mental list of games, in that list the few 4 players games are NBA jam, metal slug, and castle crusher. But as I said above, the 4P/2P choice will only be for the look sake, as I can always keep 2 bluethoot joypads under the lid.

I thank you for your answer, and I agree that having less, "better" games, is far more enjoyable than having thousands. you will never play Outrun of this kind of cab of course.
Let's make some noise!

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 09:31:25 pm »
This is pretty much the best thing I’ve read all year, and that’s why I really have a lot of respect for you as an old-school builder.

Haha thanks man - maybe one day I'll get to your skill level!  :cheers:

radio47fool

• Offline Offline
  • Welcome to my life
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 09:16:58 am »
So.. i've been trying another configuration for my CP. I tried it out on cardboard and seems to be pretty confortable.

What do you guys think?

PS graphic is just temporarily mocked up.
Let's make some noise!

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 08:02:40 pm »
I would say that is pretty much spot on,  I would think about moving/removing the buttons above the trackball but other then that its a Thumbs up from this guy :)