Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CoinOPS: Forgotten Worlds new for PC!  (Read 9786 times)

smass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
CoinOPS: Forgotten Worlds new for PC!
« on: June 07, 2018, 11:26:54 pm »
Hey all - just wanted to give everyone a heads up.  The brains behind CoinOPS for X-box (BritneysPAIRS) has moved on to developing a front end optimized for PC.  The project is called CoinOPS: Forgotten Worlds.  I have an early release running on my mame cab.  It runs butter smooth on a 3ghz Pentium G3220 with 4 gigs of ram.

You can check out a preview video of the upcoming official release here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=I5t0NZX1SnY

Check it out and let me know what you think :)

B2K24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2023, 09:33:05 pm
Re: CoinOPS: Forgotten Worlds new for PC!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 12:16:05 am »
I've seen this before...

Looks like HyperSpin, a certain RetroFE theme, and I've even seen it in BigBox.

The CriticalCid video theme is basically all it does it seems...

phulshof

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 01:33:15 pm
    • Pieter's Webpage
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 06:33:06 am »
No, CC videos are not involved for this. These are separate graphics animated by RetroFE as you can tell from the videos that keep playing while the background changes during scrolling.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 06:39:05 am by phulshof »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 10:37:16 am »
He ever get light guns working on the Xbox?

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 11:00:31 am »
For those of you that use coinOPS this is basically a port of the Ninja skin for coinops updated for PC.  Just like coinOPS the two biggest features for me are:

1.  It looks awesome and I don't have to setup my frontend aside from button assignments and such. 
2.  It just works....Download it and go.

For those who like to tinker with their front end I am sure you could do as nice a job yourself.  But for those of us who would rather not - its a compelling solution. :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:02:19 am by smass »

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 11:15:12 am »
He ever get light guns working on the Xbox?

Yeah, for mame games anyway.  Not sure about console emulators.  So if you wanted to play duck hunt for instance you would need to use the playchoice mame version...

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 11:21:19 am »
I dunno, man, I just watched some new Xbox light gun video and it still seems like you have to very carefully move it like an invisible joystick.   Until you can point that thing at the floor and then point at a specific target on screen and have it work, then it's useless.

johnm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 03:05:24 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 01:47:34 pm »
Hey all - just wanted to give everyone a heads up.  The brains behind CoinOPS for X-box (BritneysPAIRS) has moved on to developing a front end optimized for PC.  The project is called CoinOPS: Forgotten Worlds.  I have an early release running on my mame cab.  It runs butter smooth on a 3ghz Pentium G3220 with 4 gigs of ram.

BritneysPAIRS did not develop it, it is RetroFE running a theme.

phulshof

• Offline Offline
    • Pieter's Webpage
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 04:52:53 pm »

As RetroFE's sole developer at the moment, I don't mind. :) I think BP did a very good job putting everything together, and developing a good looking theme. The fact that people think this uses CC's videos shows me that animation on RetroFE has come a long way already. Still plenty of stuff to do though, so extra developers are always welcome. :)

johnm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 03:05:24 pm
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 04:59:19 am »

Well obviously BP minds that i give you credit for your work because I have now been permanently banned from the coinops site for stating the very simple fact that he is not the developer.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 09:39:07 pm »

Well obviously BP minds that i give you credit for your work because I have now been permanently banned from the coinops site for stating the very simple fact that he is not the developer.

That’s f¥cked up.

bsellers100

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2018, 05:46:46 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 04:47:51 pm »

As RetroFE's sole developer at the moment, I don't mind. :) I think BP did a very good job putting everything together, and developing a good looking theme. The fact that people think this uses CC's videos shows me that animation on RetroFE has come a long way already. Still plenty of stuff to do though, so extra developers are always welcome. :)

Hey Phulshof, BP's fans are rabid, and you are in danger of loosing any control of RetroFE if you let BP get his foot in the door.  They will never believe that this was not his project from the start.  As was stated, any questioning of BP's stardom will get you an immediate ban from his sites.  He trolls other sites looking for non complimentary comments, then bans you with no  recourse.  I personally use RetroFE, and think it is an underappreciated FE, but please watch out or you will loose all control over your program.  Just my 2 cents.

phulshof

• Offline Offline
    • Pieter's Webpage
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 01:55:23 am »
Hey Phulshof, BP's fans are rabid, and you are in danger of loosing any control of RetroFE if you let BP get his foot in the door.  They will never believe that this was not his project from the start.  As was stated, any questioning of BP's stardom will get you an immediate ban from his sites.  He trolls other sites looking for non complimentary comments, then bans you with no  recourse.  I personally use RetroFE, and think it is an underappreciated FE, but please watch out or you will loose all control over your program.  Just my 2 cents.

I'm happy to hear people look out for me, but since RetroFE is F/OSS, BP can do with it as pleases him as long as he abides by the GPL. He does not need my permission for anything. CoinOPS Forgotten Worlds is his project, and whether he gives me credit for any of the work he's building on top is up to him. RetroFE will continue as always, and if others use it to their advantage: all the better. I generally don't get involved in these kinds of internal struggles, and I don't fear getting banned from my own website. :) I take his feature requests like I take every feature request, and work on those I find interesting and have time for to the benefit of all RetroFE users.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 11:10:29 am »
The CoinOps forums are a very strange place.

bsellers100

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2018, 05:46:46 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 05:07:25 pm »

I'm happy to hear people look out for me, but since RetroFE is F/OSS, BP can do with it as pleases him as long as he abides by the GPL. He does not need my permission for anything. CoinOPS Forgotten Worlds is his project, and whether he gives me credit for any of the work he's building on top is up to him. RetroFE will continue as always, and if others use it to their advantage: all the better. I generally don't get involved in these kinds of internal struggles, and I don't fear getting banned from my own website. :) I take his feature requests like I take every feature request, and work on those I find interesting and have time for to the benefit of all RetroFE users.

Phulshof, love your willingness to share.  I applaud you!!  Like I said earlier, I currently use the RetroFE program, and I really enjoy it.  Keep up the fantastic work.