Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: stern flasher board 520-5289-00 (indiana jones flasher)  (Read 7327 times)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
stern flasher board 520-5289-00 (indiana jones flasher)
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:59:22 am »
so, like everyone else on the planet, paying 80 bones for this piece of crap badly designed little 2 square inch LED flasher board is friggin ridiculous... and I have 3 that don't work properly.

I noticed someone over on pinside (mypinballs) has redesigned the board...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/redesigning-the-stern-indy-520-5289-00-2x-led-bright-flasher-boards

anybody bought one of these and reverse engineered it? it seems simple enough. Either way, I'm thinking about doing up a handful of boards from one of those china prototyping places just to have some on hand since I can have 10 boards made for like 10 bucks. it would be nice to have the bigger better LED's and a repairable board made of readily available parts.

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: stern flasher board 520-5289-00 (indiana jones flasher)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 11:18:30 pm »
Im tasting vomit in my mouth for being linked to P/side, Quite surprised that dung heap is still around.... However I can see what you mean, That board is not worth 80 bucks, and this guy all but hands you the plans to his revision. My thought are flash pan dazzle, but didn't see a scope on his bench (although it could be off screen) and even on a simple circuit like that would be quite curious if it is actually right.... Again he did hand you the plans however, and burning boards is not hard at all, that photo etch can basically be done with a home printer and UV, But Allied I do believe has a service (don't quote me on that though).

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 12:45:36 am »
yeah PS is a wankfest where everyone seems to post to stroke each others egos. no real information of use is there.

after closer inspection it seems this guy traded off the 2 2n2222 trannys for a single and retain the power regulator and bumped up the voltage for the different LED's

I did manage to find some higher voltage 5050 SMD LED's that i think if I used 2 in series with a transistor and run them right off the 20vdc ...might be able to get away with a 5 or 6 part BOM. might have to do some testing. i think the main issue is the trigger signal is only like 2 volts.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 12:48:05 am by lilshawn »

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 06:01:27 am »
   That 2v is most likely his kryptonite, Bet a plane ticket to Z/con that other Trans was meant to feed it and now we are back to wanting to check his math. Spose A girl could join the fun over there for a day and try flirt a board out of "Mr Awesome" ::) (Omg could you imagine Jennifer over there? I wouldn't even last the whole day most likely)  That 5050 SMD is almost a stroke of genius Set up like that it would theoretically be bullet proof, I don't have the capability of cooking boards, (That Jersey Jack aparently seems to have done some interesting things along those lines) however if you can It would be so cool to see that done. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 09:34:24 am »
yeah PS is a wankfest where everyone seems to post to stroke each others egos. no real information of use is there.

Ah, just like RGP 10 years ago right before everyone moved to Pinside.... What a surprise.   ;D

I lived through the "high end pins is the best" era, did me in on that newsgroup.  Was amazing how one person could get so many people to freak the ---fudgesicle--- out in thread... after thread... after thread....