Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Graphics on Maximus Arcade  (Read 7377 times)

DisneyRob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2018, 03:38:03 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Graphics on Maximus Arcade
« on: June 05, 2018, 10:11:36 am »
Excuse the ignorance of a noob here.... Two questions about Maximus Arcade. Where do I get graphic files to  when a game comes up in the menu, I can get a screen shot of it. And secondly. how do I load them in so they will appear !!!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Graphics on Maximus Arcade
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 12:16:20 pm »
Do yourself a favour and ditch maximus now before you invest to much time into it!

Its no longer updated or supported.

DisneyRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 03:37:34 pm »
Thanks for the advice, but no thanks. I like it. It does the job for me. It is just that I would like to load graphics into it, and I can not find anywhere on the net that will tell me how.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 03:50:32 pm »
Have fun banging your head against the wall.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 06:35:46 pm »
Have fun banging your head against the wall.

I tried....

DisneyRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:51:04 pm »
Being a heavy metal d.j., I am used to it !!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 10:16:19 pm »
Kudos to you for taking a joke. But seriously dump Maximus. You are going to have trouble finding people to help you because the software is dead.

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 03:16:22 am »
Since you have your heart set on it:

Maximus labels it Image (optional):
You browse to a folder that holds your screenshots.
You get them either by finding a download of them (for MAME, look for MAME snaps) or by creating them using the emulator's snapshot key (I think MAME is F12 by default)

Maximus itself has a keypress for capturing a screenshot. You can use that if the emulator doesn't support captures natively.

DisneyRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 12:00:06 pm »
Thank You so much. Just for the record, I have looked at other frontends, and they seem a tad complicated.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 04:24:40 pm »
Thank You so much. Just for the record, I have looked at other frontends, and they seem a tad complicated.

Some are some are not but even the most complicated ones (like Hyperspin) have lots of tutorial videos on youtube.

Simply Austin does a great one for hyperspin.

MaseMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 08:49:39 pm
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 08:52:05 am »

I recently transitioned from Maximus to Launchbox, and I found the setup to be extremely easy. Like also noted, there are many easy to follow videos on Youtube for most front ends, if you have any issues.

djlunchbox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2021, 12:07:54 am
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 02:23:07 pm »
Man it sucks to see all these negative answers/opinions instead of just answering the question.

Yes it maybe a "dead software" but it still has tons of comparability. Hyperspin is a huge PIA to get up and running and yeah LaunchBox/BigBox is cool, some people don't wanna pay $50.  Plus it's still ALOT of grunt work to get BigBox set up pretty.

Fact is MA is a straight up EASY to set up front end that doesn't require a ton of nitpicking and yes does look good. The Hypermax theme as well as the older Hyperspace theme plus a handful of other themes make MA look great. I started with a Raspberry Pi which is still my go to however I was gifted a mini pc and 2tb drive with Hyperspin on it that had just been gathering dust.

Honestly MA has found a resurgence in Europe and South America. I'm fortunate enough to be fluent in spanish so watching the only available setup tutorials in spanish or portugese were pretty easy to understand. Currently I got the following systems set up and working no problem in MA: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, MasterSystem, Genesis,PC Games and future Pinball. Currently working to get Pinball FX2 to be a standalone and to launch tables individually. Then i'll move on to Taito Type X, MAME, NEoGeo, Saturn, Naomi, Sega M2 and 3 then finally handhelds. For reference here's my current machine:

AlienWare Alpha i7 processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX, 1TB internal, Windows 10. Have not had a single issue.

So don't know some of us because we want to use an old software. If it ain't broke don't fix it right?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 02:51:59 pm »
Then answer the questions when they come up mister smarty pants.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 02:54:22 pm »
Currently I got the following systems set up and working no problem in MA: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, MasterSystem, Genesis,PC Games and future Pinball. Currently working to get Pinball FX2 to be a standalone and to launch tables individually. Then i'll move on to Taito Type X, MAME, NEoGeo, Saturn, Naomi, Sega M2 and 3 then finally handhelds. For reference here's my current machine:

AlienWare Alpha i7 processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX, 1TB internal, Windows 10. Have not had a single issue.

So don't know some of us because we want to use an old software. If it ain't broke don't fix it right?

But the thing is for MAME at least - it is broke and has to be fixed in order to get it running - but guess you have not run into that yet since you do not have mame set up ! ( hopefully you can still translate enough help when you get around to that ! - though not sure why you needed to resort to spanish/portuguese help if you have not had any problems at all yet ! ) -- The problem with dead software is that it is not updated along with other software so eventually breaks or requires each user to do things to make it work when the emulator software changes.

THe main Problem I have with MA is the fact that they are still selling licenses to it (or giving it away with X-arcade purchases ) - but give a 30 or 60 day trial install at the end of which they are supposed to send an activation code but lately they have not been sending them and everyone comes here looking for a solution when they can not activate it. - or they come here asking how to get mame working since it is no longer working with newer versions of mame due to changes made to the Mame project. If they want to continue selling it or selling it to a third party to include with a sale of their product then they should provide some sort of support and keep it updated with the major programs it is designed to run with - Or just stop selling it !

Fortunately there is an activation code generator out there that works so those that do not ever receive their activation code can get it activated but the company themselves should be taking care of supporting the software they are still selling even if it is only a $5 or $10 product..
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 03:00:17 pm by JDFan »

MaseMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 08:49:39 pm
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 03:18:02 pm »
"Plus it's still ALOT of grunt work to get BigBox set up pretty. "

I'm really confused by this comment. I am not a technical computer wizard at all, but I remember the process being pretty simple and easy. I mean, I honestly probably didn't spend more than 2-3 hours getting it set up how I wanted.

I had Maximus for a couple years. Is it still usable? Yes, it's totally fine and serviceable. However, it hasn't been updated in several years, and there's no active community around it anymore.

Also, I really don't get balking on spending $50 on a high quality, constantly updated front-end, after spending probably hundreds of dollars to build a decent arcade rig. To me, it would be like building a your own high performance sports car, but then running it on an economy four cylinder, because "It still runs fine."

djlunchbox

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 03:18:28 pm »
Then answer the questions when they come up mister smarty pants.

the question was answered, but i'll do it again.

Make sure all your image files are labeled exactly like the ROM they correspond to then paste the path in the row thats labeled IMAGE

Refer to this

Currently I got the following systems set up and working no problem in MA: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, MasterSystem, Genesis,PC Games and future Pinball. Currently working to get Pinball FX2 to be a standalone and to launch tables individually. Then i'll move on to Taito Type X, MAME, NEoGeo, Saturn, Naomi, Sega M2 and 3 then finally handhelds. For reference here's my current machine:

But the thing is for MAME at least - it is broke and has to be fixed in order to get it running - but guess you have not run into that yet since you do not have mame set up ! ( hopefully you can still translate enough help when you get around to that ! - though not sure why you needed to resort to spanish/portuguese help if you have not had any problems at all yet ! ) -- The problem with dead software is that it is not updated along with other software so eventually breaks or requires each user to do things to make it work when the emulator software changes.

THe main Problem I have with MA is the fact that they are still selling licenses to it (or giving it away with X-arcade purchases ) - but give a 30 or 60 day trial install at the end of which they are supposed to send an activation code but lately they have not been sending them and everyone comes here looking for a solution when they can not activate it. - or they come here asking how to get mame working since it is no longer working with newer versions of mame due to changes made to the Mame project. If they want to continue selling it or selling it to a third party to include with a sale of their product then they should provide some sort of support and keep it updated with the major programs it is designed to run with - Or just stop selling it !

Fortunately there is an activation code generator out there that works so those that do not ever receive their activation code can get it activated but the company themselves should be taking care of supporting the software they are still selling even if it is only a $5 or $10 product..

I come from raspberry Pi/Retro Pi that uses way older versions of MAME and they work fine. I've seen videos posted about 1-2 weeks ago running MAME perfectly in MA demoing Killer Instinct and a few others. There's nothing wrong with using legacy versions of MAME if they still work. It's just having someone know. And yeah I haven't gotten to MAME yet however I know .190 was supported and while we're at .200 I'm sure running that version will be fine.

And i have to resort to videos in spanish/portugese because I am a beginner so i still need to be taught the basics. I have no previous build experience. I tinkered with pre-made images on retropie then worked backwards to teach myself how to get it working but i didn't delve all the way in to test individual emultors, etc. PC Gaming a whole other story. But as I said while it's not popular here, in other parts of the world MA still being used.

I can't comment on the licenses as I just paypal'd the 5 bucks and got my email with a license within an hour or so *shrug*

djlunchbox

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 03:24:21 pm »
"Plus it's still ALOT of grunt work to get BigBox set up pretty. "

I'm really confused by this comment. I am not a technical computer wizard at all, but I remember the process being pretty simple and easy. I mean, I honestly probably didn't spend more than 2-3 hours getting it set up how I wanted.

I had Maximus for a couple years. Is it still usable? Yes, it's totally fine and serviceable. However, it hasn't been updated in several years, and there's no active community around it anymore.

Also, I really don't get balking on spending $50 on a high quality, constantly updated front-end, after spending probably hundreds of dollars to build a decent arcade rig. To me, it would be like building a your own high performance sports car, but then running it on an economy four cylinder, because "It still runs fine."

Maybe because i'm used to retropie premade images where i just need to drag over ROMS. There's nothing like that I seen for BigBox. like the unified theme. I can't just d/that and ask Big Box to use it. I still need to go to emu movies and get all the stuff to get it "complete" . With MA, I found that HyperMax theme, all i did was d/l the zip, select it in the preferences then boom it loads. with all the dope graphics and everything.

Again, I ran my bartop on a raspberry Pi 3 and to me that worked great and looked great thanks to the 128gb HyperPie image I had. Fact is if I didn't have that Alienware just lying around I'd still be on the Raspberry Pi wave.