Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Buying my first stand alone arcade CRT monitor to use with Mame/15KHz etc  (Read 178 times)

Crayfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Alpha Denshi Corporation
    • Twitter
I've been running a dedicated emulation PC with CRT Emudriver outputting at 15KHz for a while now with great results. The picture on my Sony BVM is fantastic, but I would like to go larger. Professional / Display monitors over 20" like the NEC XM or Mitsubishi Megaview series are almost impossible to get hold of in the UK, so I have decided that the only alternative is to go with a large arcade monitor. I've owned a Jamma cab before, but never hooked up a PC or used an arcade monitor stand alone, so I would really appreciate some advice.

1.) How do I go about connecting my PC setup to the monitor?
I am currently outputting 15KHz from my PC via dsub, passing that through an Extron unit to combine the sync, then outputting from that 4xBNC R.G.B.S. that goes into my broadcast monitor. * I also have a 4xBNC to (direction switchable) Scart cable I can add on to that chain to use with consumer TVs.
With an arcade monitor, at what point in that chain would I connect to the Arcade monitor (after the Extron unit I assume) and what kind of interface I can buy to bridge that gap?

2.) I would like some suggestions on what to buy, where to buy it and how much it might cost.
I have seen a really fantastic setup that uses what I think is a 38" model. It has the analogue pots at the front for geometry adjustment (which is really essential for me or on a remote board), and I think this guy must have some kind of Scart (or JP21) interface as it looks as if he has it set up for Jamma boards, Japanese PCs and consoles. Does anyone know what model this is?
Found Via: http://shoutime.tumblr.com/archive

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 02:17:45 pm by Crayfish »

B2K24

• Offline Offline
I too would like to get a monitor like that but have never owned one before. I have no idea would I would need to connect one of those to a PC and what kind of connectors they even have.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
Most older arcade monitors would use RGBS, same as you are, but through whatever plug they liked wired up to the Jamma socket - i.e. it didn't matter what plug. Sometimes the plugs are common molex, most of the time you'll have to wire something.

However, most old arcade monitors will want a video amp to use with a PC. The Jpac from Ultimarc works well, and takes a VGA cable straight from your PC. It outputs to a Jamma edge, which plugs into the socket in a lot of older cabs. If you don't have a cab, just the monitor, you can buy a jamma extender, cut the wires where needed and then bridge the RGBS to the arcade chassis through some screw terminals or something.

Personally, I'd pay money for a nice presentation monitor that will also do 31/45kHz, as getting a decent larger Nanao monitor, the Rolls Royce of Arcade monitors, isn't going to be cheap.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31