Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Solo  (Read 4981 times)

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Solo
« on: June 02, 2018, 07:20:27 am »
Saw latest Star Wars release last night. Pretty good. Lots of action and it shows how Han met Chewbaca and lando.

Also a surprise cameo appearance near the end.

I wonder when they are going to do a movie about the young years of Luke and Leah?

If you are a Star Wars fan, I'd definitely recommend you see it.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Solo
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 08:54:43 am »
Meh, after Rogue One I decided these weren’t worth theater money.  I can’t even make it through 30 minutes of Last Jedi.  Hard pass for me on Solo.

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 09:34:30 am »
Tbh I thought it was worth a watch.

It had some original story and the acting etc was decent.

Best Star Wars ive seen for a while!

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 09:39:11 am »
I enjoyed Solo.  It is a fun little movie with great effects and good acting.  Having said that I'm not sure it needed to be made.   I wasn't really clamoring to find out how Han got his blaster for example.

Meh, after Rogue One I decided these weren’t worth theater money.  I can’t even make it through 30 minutes of Last Jedi.  Hard pass for me on Solo.

Out of curiosity what was your problem with Rogue One?  It isn't perfect but I really enjoyed it and thought it was easily the best of the new Star Wars movies--including Solo.  You are right about Last Jedi.  The Last Jedi was so bad it made The Force Awakens even worse.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 10:19:59 am »

I liked Rogue One but feel the same way about Last Jedi. Im tapped out on Star Wars flicks, TLJ made me just not give a crap.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 11:40:35 am »
Out of curiosity what was your problem with Rogue One?  It isn't perfect but I really enjoyed it and thought it was easily the best of the new Star Wars movies--including Solo.

Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised by Rogue One.

Well, other than the uncanny valley Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher CGI. Those parts were unnecessary.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 11:54:00 am by shponglefan »

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 05:09:40 am »
Solo seemed so safe to me... It was well crafted, it had a great cast, but man it was kinda boring.  :dunno
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 12:17:44 pm »
Saw it on opening night.  Meh.  It wasn't bad
I'm not a big star wars fan, but have seen all the recent Disney ones and this one was by far the weakest.

It made so little impression on me that I've already forgotten whatever it was about.
I do remember being bothered that the tone and dialog from Game of Thrones actresses weren't different enough from their GOT characters.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 06:30:39 pm »
I have been accused of being a star wars fan boy here in the past, I mean after time to reflect there are some movies that definitely don't hold up after numerous viewings...

The Force Awakens- The more I watch it the more I dislike it. I just cant seem to separate this from A New Hope. And that damn scene with the monsters in Solos ship where awful.

Rogue One- Is pretty blah until the last 40 Minutes which are the best 40 minutes in any Star Wars film to date. And no I am not talking about the Vader Scene, I am talking about he exciting land and space battle.

The Last Jedi- I still like this... I like the ballsy direction this movie took. I like the Rian Johnson realized he was directed into a corner with JJ's TFA. I thought it still holds up pretty well.

Solo- The weakest because it was so blah. I mean it was so uninspired, so boring, so forgettable. No drama, No good action, so many failed attempts at Humor and character development. Eh.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 09:37:23 pm »

I Loved the originals...

- Lucus trashing them,  with some of the worst CGI ever put into a big screen film... seriously soured me.
 - Lucus swapping the muppet band for a Disney-Esc cheeze fest,   as well as swapping the happy-campy-ewok tune = Seriously Angered

The Prequels

- Watched 1st one in theater...  Was insulted, and disgusted,  by pretty much everything... almost walked out.

- Saw bits and pieces of the others on HBO,  in the background,  while doing work on my pc.  Was not even captivating enough
to fully turn my head, to zone into them,  for more than a few seconds here and there... and when I did... I was Groaning in pain.

Clearly Lucus is not good with full power, and full control.   He may have been instrumental in getting the balls rolling...
but it was the many other, much stronger... creative people,  that had turned a potential cheezy flop... into a timeless mega-blockbuster series.

Disney Hope...

- Like most fans... I somehow hoped that a Disney purchase would bring in higher quality in the series.   Hell,  actually... I just wanted
the UNTAMPERED originals to be re-released.   I refused to purchase the inferior S.E.  DUNG.

- Paid to see the 1st... and felt underwhelmed and disappointed.
 - Paid to see the 2nd,  in hopes that it "Might" possibly improve...   Wrong!

- Did   NOT    pay to see the Last Jedi.   I was handed a free ticket,  due to a tech promotion.   Even then... I was considering not showing up,
merely in Protest.

- TLJ was the Last Straw for me.   The toxic  SJW + Identity politics,  lame acting  (besides Mark),  unrealistic mechanics, lack of any real
emotional depth,  sloppy and lazy effects and design,  and much more... was an Insult to humanity... let alone the film industry.

RADICAL-INFECTED Disney, wont catch a Dime from me,  EVER again.

As for SO-LOW...  (or  SoyLo ... )

- A near perfect impersonator / actor,  that looked and sounded like Ford.. was turned down for...  Ugg... that lead whom
looks, sounds, nor acts... ANYTHING like Ford!   Its most probably that he has "Family-Ties" ... (or religious / idological ties)

The trailer was pathetic,  and proved how weak he,  and all the rest,  was going to be revealed to be.

Ford is a REALLY hard act to follow.  Very few actors in this world,  even come close to his charm, charisma, emotional expression,
and powerfully believable performances.   A mere clip of 60 seconds of Ford,  is enough to convince anyone,  whos the real deal.

Mark Hammil,  is Excellent as well.   Probably even better now,  as he has developed even further,  than his younger days.

We have seen some of the worst quality actors being selected for some of the biggest roles.  First memory that springs to mind,
was the actor in the Tron Sequel.   Lifeless.  Boring.  Emotionally Flat.  Completely Forgettable.

In Disney Star Wars... you have the same thing.   The lead woman(?) ... is lifeless.  monotone in emotional expression.
Boring onscreen...  and completely forgettable.  (Along with being WAY too powerful, way too soon, way too easily)

They try to use other bigger name / experienced actors...  to help sell and carry the films weak leads.  It doesnt work.

Add to this... that the personality disordered writers, and others toxica, inside of Disney... are outwardly accusing fans of
being the problem...  Spewing Racists tweets / articles / interview quotes...

The forced toxic Agenda's,  such as painting Lando as being "Pansexual", (Having a sexual attraction to anything living or
even Inanimate... )  ... especially in a movie shown to CHILDREN... is downright Despicable,  and Completely Immoral.

Just because there are mentally Ill people in this world... does not mean we should be spotlighting it as "Normal".
We definitely do not need to be showing young kids films that have outward and open Racism in them.  Nor toxic Radical
hate speeches...  as being leads on the  "Good"  side.

The Radical Personality Disordered... have taken over way too much of the Industry.   Where they should be in a mental-institution...
they are spreading their Toxic Cancer... into all areas of global human life.

They have also done the same in the Comic Book scene.   Not that Ive ever been a comic guy... but Ive watched some vids on
those whom are... and the stuff that is going on in these industries is absolutely Disgusting.   For example... they turned all of
the long standing heros... into gay / bi / racists   versions.   When the fans turned their noses up at this... the various writers,
artists...etc...  started openly attacking the fanbase.   From death threats,  to actual Stalking incidents.  Along with plenty
of collusion with mass media $hills,  that create distorted articles,  alone with Libel / slander,  half truths,  and outright lies.

They even colluded with management,  as well as comic book stores... to blackball anyone whom even disagreed
with their Toxic ---smurf-poo---.    One company... that was planning to print and distribute a fan sponsered comic... was Bullied
and threatened...to the point where they were scared for their lives.   They backed out of their contractual agreement...
and refused to do business with the guys whom made the comic.  Mind you... the guy is a seriously nice... to the point of
being too nice...   but the Mentally Ill,  are being protected by Disney / Marvel (and many more) ... and allowed to get
away with their toxicity,  agenda pushing,  Libel/slander,  open attacks on fans,  and much more...  without being
fired,  reprimanded,  having the police involved... etc.

They have also been Infecting the Universities,  as well as the Grade Schools.   Installing Radical teachers in positions, where
they can abuse and brainwash the young developing minds.   Teachers are even telling these children,  not to tell their
parents,  about various Lessons, disturbing homework assignments...etc.

Its NOT as it seems.   The large groups are being infected with personality disordered people... whom feint a cause...
but instead,  use the power and money of these groups... as a shield for their own personal, distorted, and selfish agendas.

IE:  Safe Spaces.   These people are Not really fearful.  The Narcissistic Personality Disordered simply can not handle
the real truth... because it interferes with their self-created false (split)personality.

If these Disturbing Predators / Psychopaths are not stopped... they will be the true end of Humanity as we know it.
The personality disordered are Black-Holes.  They dont think nor care about the impact and consequences of their
actions... and being narcissistic,  they believe their horrible unrealistic... and Catastrophic  ideas and actions... are in
fact flawless / infallible / superior...etc.   When SHFT...  they will just point the fingers of blame on everyone, and or
everything...  Never accepting their own part.  Never having true empathy for those whos lives they have destroyed.
Any empathy they do have... is all a Ruse... to appear to be on the "Right Side".   In reality,  they will use and abuse
even those whom they pretend to be aligned with.   As well as eventually being caught as 100 Hypocrites, in their
words, and actions.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 10:26:27 pm »

I Loved the originals...

- Lucus trashing them,  with some of the worst CGI ever put into a big screen film... seriously soured me.
 - Lucus swapping the muppet band for a Disney-Esc cheeze fest,   as well as swapping the happy-campy-ewok tune = Seriously Angered

The Prequels

- Watched 1st one in theater...  Was insulted, and disgusted,  by pretty much everything... almost walked out.

- Saw bits and pieces of the others on HBO,  in the background,  while doing work on my pc.  Was not even captivating enough
to fully turn my head, to zone into them,  for more than a few seconds here and there... and when I did... I was Groaning in pain.

Clearly Lucus is not good with full power, and full control.   He may have been instrumental in getting the balls rolling...
but it was the many other, much stronger... creative people,  that had turned a potential cheezy flop... into a timeless mega-blockbuster series.

Disney Hope...

- Like most fans... I somehow hoped that a Disney purchase would bring in higher quality in the series.   Hell,  actually... I just wanted
the UNTAMPERED originals to be re-released.   I refused to purchase the inferior S.E.  DUNG.

- Paid to see the 1st... and felt underwhelmed and disappointed.
 - Paid to see the 2nd,  in hopes that it "Might" possibly improve...   Wrong!

- Did   NOT    pay to see the Last Jedi.   I was handed a free ticket,  due to a tech promotion.   Even then... I was considering not showing up,
merely in Protest.

- TLJ was the Last Straw for me.   The toxic  SJW + Identity politics,  lame acting  (besides Mark),  unrealistic mechanics, lack of any real
emotional depth,  sloppy and lazy effects and design,  and much more... was an Insult to humanity... let alone the film industry.

RADICAL-INFECTED Disney, wont catch a Dime from me,  EVER again.

As for SO-LOW...  (or  SoyLo ... )

- A near perfect impersonator / actor,  that looked and sounded like Ford.. was turned down for...  Ugg... that lead whom
looks, sounds, nor acts... ANYTHING like Ford!   Its most probably that he has "Family-Ties" ... (or religious / idological ties)

The trailer was pathetic,  and proved how weak he,  and all the rest,  was going to be revealed to be.

Ford is a REALLY hard act to follow.  Very few actors in this world,  even come close to his charm, charisma, emotional expression,
and powerfully believable performances.   A mere clip of 60 seconds of Ford,  is enough to convince anyone,  whos the real deal.

Mark Hammil,  is Excellent as well.   Probably even better now,  as he has developed even further,  than his younger days.

We have seen some of the worst quality actors being selected for some of the biggest roles.  First memory that springs to mind,
was the actor in the Tron Sequel.   Lifeless.  Boring.  Emotionally Flat.  Completely Forgettable.

In Disney Star Wars... you have the same thing.   The lead woman(?) ... is lifeless.  monotone in emotional expression.
Boring onscreen...  and completely forgettable.  (Along with being WAY too powerful, way too soon, way too easily)

They try to use other bigger name / experienced actors...  to help sell and carry the films weak leads.  It doesnt work.

Add to this... that the personality disordered writers, and others toxica, inside of Disney... are outwardly accusing fans of
being the problem...  Spewing Racists tweets / articles / interview quotes...

The forced toxic Agenda's,  such as painting Lando as being "Pansexual", (Having a sexual attraction to anything living or
even Inanimate... )  ... especially in a movie shown to CHILDREN... is downright Despicable,  and Completely Immoral.

Just because there are mentally Ill people in this world... does not mean we should be spotlighting it as "Normal".
We definitely do not need to be showing young kids films that have outward and open Racism in them.  Nor toxic Radical
hate speeches...  as being leads on the  "Good"  side.

The Radical Personality Disordered... have taken over way too much of the Industry.   Where they should be in a mental-institution...
they are spreading their Toxic Cancer... into all areas of global human life.

They have also done the same in the Comic Book scene.   Not that Ive ever been a comic guy... but Ive watched some vids on
those whom are... and the stuff that is going on in these industries is absolutely Disgusting.   For example... they turned all of
the long standing heros... into gay / bi / racists   versions.   When the fans turned their noses up at this... the various writers,
artists...etc...  started openly attacking the fanbase.   From death threats,  to actual Stalking incidents.  Along with plenty
of collusion with mass media $hills,  that create distorted articles,  alone with Libel / slander,  half truths,  and outright lies.

They even colluded with management,  as well as comic book stores... to blackball anyone whom even disagreed
with their Toxic ---smurf-poo---.    One company... that was planning to print and distribute a fan sponsered comic... was Bullied
and threatened...to the point where they were scared for their lives.   They backed out of their contractual agreement...
and refused to do business with the guys whom made the comic.  Mind you... the guy is a seriously nice... to the point of
being too nice...   but the Mentally Ill,  are being protected by Disney / Marvel (and many more) ... and allowed to get
away with their toxicity,  agenda pushing,  Libel/slander,  open attacks on fans,  and much more...  without being
fired,  reprimanded,  having the police involved... etc.

They have also been Infecting the Universities,  as well as the Grade Schools.   Installing Radical teachers in positions, where
they can abuse and brainwash the young developing minds.   Teachers are even telling these children,  not to tell their
parents,  about various Lessons, disturbing homework assignments...etc.

Its NOT as it seems.   The large groups are being infected with personality disordered people... whom feint a cause...
but instead,  use the power and money of these groups... as a shield for their own personal, distorted, and selfish agendas.

IE:  Safe Spaces.   These people are Not really fearful.  The Narcissistic Personality Disordered simply can not handle
the real truth... because it interferes with their self-created false (split)personality.

If these Disturbing Predators / Psychopaths are not stopped... they will be the true end of Humanity as we know it.
The personality disordered are Black-Holes.  They dont think nor care about the impact and consequences of their
actions... and being narcissistic,  they believe their horrible unrealistic... and Catastrophic  ideas and actions... are in
fact flawless / infallible / superior...etc.   When SHFT...  they will just point the fingers of blame on everyone, and or
everything...  Never accepting their own part.  Never having true empathy for those whos lives they have destroyed.
Any empathy they do have... is all a Ruse... to appear to be on the "Right Side".   In reality,  they will use and abuse
even those whom they pretend to be aligned with.   As well as eventually being caught as 100 Hypocrites, in their
words, and actions.

Jesus dude.... It's just a damn movie! You don't sound like a Star Wars fan in general.... so why do you spend so much time trying to like the new stuff. This post started out all "Get off my lawn!" and ended up "Get off my lawn, can't you see I like to bathe in a jello filled kiddy pool while wearing nothing but a tin foil hat."

Take a breath Pixel. Life is what you make of it.   :dizzy:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 11:02:14 pm »
Came for the Solo, left when it turned into Fox News Greatest Hits....
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 11:11:10 pm »
I enjoyed it, but agree this movie didn't need to exist. The teaser bit to a next offshoot prequel didn't quite feel right either. The guy who played solo just didn't look, sound or feel like Han Solo to me. It was hard to equate him to Harrison Ford. Han "rescuing" Chewie seemed underwhelming as well.

The one thing I did laugh at is how Lando mispronounced Han just like he did in Empire. :lol

B2K24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2023, 09:33:05 pm
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 01:29:47 am »
I didn't see it and don't plan to.

Boycott everything Disney because TLJ sucked so bad.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 05:00:02 am »

Someone is butt hurt over a Star Wars movie... lol

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 11:03:03 am »
Meh, I enjoyed it because it was entertaining.  I didn't go looking for depth, a great story, or a replacement to the movies I enjoyed as a kid.  I went for a little nostalgia mixed with some CGI entertainment.  I got what I went for.  The bonus was that my middle daughter went with and was asking questions about the Star Wars universe afterwards, and I got to tell her about some of the history with the movies, the stories, and we even talked about how things were when I was a kid.  That alone made it worth it.

I learned a long time ago to not expect anything more than to be entertained.  And I am easily entertained by big budget CGI. 

Yes, Lucas ruined the franchise.  In so many ways.  And yet he made Billions doing it.  As much as I hate what he did to the story, I have to respect the Empire he created (pun intended).  And I still have a place in my heart for Star Wars movies, so no matter how bad the movie is, I will still go and I will still get entertained.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 11:13:18 am »
Out of curiosity what was your problem with Rogue One?  It isn't perfect but I really enjoyed it and thought it was easily the best of the new Star Wars movies--including Solo.

Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised by Rogue One.

Well, other than the uncanny valley Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher CGI. Those parts were unnecessary.

There was so much unnecessary fan service in Rogue One. The film would have been better without it. Especially crap like that quick cut to R2-D2 and C-3PO and the random encounter with the two guys from the Mos Eisley cantina. Seriously, wtf?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 11:33:38 am »
The incels will soon return and in greater numbers.

:dizzy:

B2K24

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 05:03:04 pm »

The Last Jedi- I still like this... I like the ballsy direction this movie took. I like the Rian Johnson realized he was directed into a corner with JJ's TFA. I thought it still holds up pretty well.

If you really like it then that's fine, but read the YT comments and wonder to yourself why you might be different than 30K + people

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 05:51:51 pm »

If you really like it then that's fine, but read the YT comments and wonder to yourself why you might be different than 30K + people

Just a few things... then I am done, and you can go back to beating up your stuffed Mickey Mouse.

First.... I don't care if 30k people plus hate TLJ. I know for a fact it is far better than any of the prequels and more original than TFA (which was a clone of ANH). You could add 100k more people to your boycott and still only affect about $1 million dollars off of the total gross. So right there shows you that fanboys are just loud. There really isn't any meat behind the complaining over a movie franchise, since the vast majority liked the film, they just don't hang out on forums all day obsessing about it.

Second... I can do links too.
http://www.slashfilm.com/last-jedi-backlash/

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-fans-are-why-ive-never-really-been-able-to-lo-1821232887

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/7kb09a/what_the_hell_is_wrong_with_star_wars_fans/

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/227-movies-at-the-theater/76117882

http://toofab.com/2017/12/19/3-ways-crybaby-star-wars-fans-are-trying-to-ruin-the-last-jedi-for-everyone-else/

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/star-wars-fandom-toxicity-problem

https://www.gq.com/story/star-wars-fans-are-still-the-worst

And Third... As boring as Solo is, fans will always ---smurfette--- about TLJ because all of their wildest theories about how Luke should act, who Snoke is, and Reys lineage, went up in smoke because every theory idiot youtubers put forth lacked imagination, creativity, and substance. Rey being a Kenobi/Palpatine/Solo is about as dumb and close minded as you can get. It makes the universe so small, we might as well make episode 9 into a bad sitcom where everyone sleeps with everyone else and they all live in fun little apartments where Vader can build C3PO, and L3 can be the brains of the Falcon and Chewy and Yoda meet downstairs for coffee laughing about how Solo got his last name, or how Anakin turned evil because Yoda forgot to hug him more.

I have read a lot of the hate, but I still would love to find out what Luke was supposed to be like in TLJ????? Was he supposed to be all excited when Rey found him???? Was he going to say something like "Well I was hiding because of..... reasons. But now that you are here lets go on an adventure!"

Or was the logical ballsy choice to say "Hey I am hiding here, because I learned more about the Jedi council. I learned about the corruption, the arrogance of it all. How they ruled and tried to master the Force. Something that doesn't belong to them. I want no part in bringing that back. That is why I am hiding. I don't want to be found dipshit! That is why I hid the f**king map!"

If you wanted Luke to be all gung ho and ready to face the First Order, JJ should have put Luke in a position of strength, not weakness. This decision falls right at the feet of JJ Abrams.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 06:01:13 pm »

LOL, 385,000 people on IMDB rated TLJ at 7.3 out of 10, you need to ask yourself why you might be different than 385,000 people...

The movie grossed 1.3 billion dollars worldwide, JUST at the box office.  There aren't many movies that can claim a billion dollars in tickets sold.  And that is AFTER two other Disney Star Wars movies that had already set expectations.

Now, that revenue is down from Force Awakens, so some people saw TFA and disliked it enough to not even go see TLJ.  Still, over a hundred million people paid money to see this movie in the theater.  Do you really think that 30,000 youtubers make up a significant base for judgement of the movie?  Worldwide that's like less than .02% of the total audience. 

Personally, I don't need any of the haters, lovers, or general audience to validate my opinions of the movie.  Some of my favorite movies are regarded poorly among the masses.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 06:55:10 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 06:09:55 pm »
Way to bring it Ian. :cheers:

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 06:27:20 pm »
There was so much unnecessary fan service in Rogue One. The film would have been better without it. Especially crap like that quick cut to R2-D2 and C-3PO and the random encounter with the two guys from the Mos Eisley cantina. Seriously, wtf?

True, I'd forgotten about those scenes.

That said, I did enjoy seeing Darth Vader in the movie. The scene with Vader going to town on the Rebel scum was awesome.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 06:59:25 pm »
TLJ was all around awful. It had me checking my watch more frequently than when I'm in my dentist's waiting room.

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 07:50:44 pm »
Good luck ever discussing just one SW movie...

And Third... As boring as Solo is, fans will always ---smurfette--- about TLJ because all of their wildest theories about how Luke should act, who Snoke is, and Reys lineage, went up in smoke because every theory idiot youtubers put forth lacked imagination, creativity, and substance. Rey being a Kenobi/Palpatine/Solo is about as dumb and close minded as you can get.
This is right only when considered in a vacuum, but TFA hinted strongly (in fact, practically yelled it at you) that there was something interesting about Rey's lineage. *That* was the time to say "don't you dare make her related to any other known characters". The caretakers of SW couldn't come up with anything better than the fans for the follow-through, so they backtracked. Backtracking may have been the wisest choice given the idiotic corner they painted themselves into, but better still would have been to not paint themselves into the corner in the first place. You can't blame the fans for picking up on the not-so-subtle hints which the movie-makers subsequently changed their minds on.
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 08:25:21 pm »
This is right only when considered in a vacuum, but TFA hinted strongly (in fact, practically yelled it at you) that there was something interesting about Rey's lineage. *That* was the time to say "don't you dare make her related to any other known characters". The caretakers of SW couldn't come up with anything better than the fans for the follow-through, so they backtracked.

This was my take as well.  J.J. Binks loves the plot-twist almost as much as M. Night Shyamalan and he beat us over the head with it in EP7.  To me the biggest problem with EP7 and EP8 is Disney did not have an overall plan for all three movies.  They seemed content to let each director figure things out which led to the whiplash between the plots of the two movies.

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 08:32:46 pm »
They seemed content to let each director figure things out which led to the whiplash between the plots of the two movies.

I liked The DC Challenge, but that's no way to shepherd a zillion dollar franchise.
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 11:04:25 pm »
And Third... As boring as Solo is, fans will always ---smurfette--- about TLJ because all of their wildest theories about how Luke should act, who Snoke is, and Reys lineage, went up in smoke because every theory idiot youtubers put forth lacked imagination, creativity, and substance. Rey being a Kenobi/Palpatine/Solo is about as dumb and close minded as you can get. It makes the universe so small, we might as well make episode 9 into a bad sitcom where everyone sleeps with everyone else and they all live in fun little apartments where Vader can build C3PO, and L3 can be the brains of the Falcon and Chewy and Yoda meet downstairs for coffee laughing about how Solo got his last name, or how Anakin turned evil because Yoda forgot to hug him more.

I wholeheartedly agree about the Rey lineage thing. The whole "you're secretly the chosen one because you come from some magical lineage" has been done to death in storytelling. It was a relief to see it subverted for once.

Regarding Luke, I'm surprised that people expected something else. The guy had become a hermit, I fully expected him to be highly reluctant to rejoin the fight.

Where I was disappointed was with the handling of Snoke. Good story-telling relies on good villains and we only really have the one now (Kylo Ren). If anything I would have liked to have him remain fully shrouded in mystery working from the shadows rather than just rehashing the RoTJ throne scene. Meh.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2018, 11:23:04 pm »
TLJ was all around awful. It had me checking my watch more frequently than when I'm in my dentist's waiting room.

I thought the first hour really dragged. I'm not sure whose idea it was to have a low-speed chase in outer space, but rather than being a tension builder it was a snooze-fest.

B2K24

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2018, 11:29:43 pm »

Solo- The weakest because it was so blah. I mean it was so uninspired, so boring, so forgettable. No drama, No good action, so many failed attempts at Humor and character development. Eh.

You've just completely described TLJ

LOL, 385,000 people on IMDB rated TLJ at 7.3 out of 10, you need to ask yourself why you might be different than 385,000 people...

The movie grossed 1.3 billion dollars worldwide, JUST at the box office.  There aren't many movies that can claim a billion dollars in tickets sold.  And that is AFTER two other Disney Star Wars movies that had already set expectations.

7.3 for a Star Wars Movie is absolutely pathetic just like the movie itself. The numbers are declining because the newest movie are that much worse. They're not better regardless what you and Ian think.

The numbers don't lie.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars7.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars8.htm

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2527336/

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 06:55:10 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2018, 03:18:18 am »
Entertainment is subjective. Titanic is one of the highest grossing movies of all time. For me it sucked. My wife loved it. I fell asleep in the theater watching Avatar. I don't care at all what everyone else thinks about a movie. I didn't like TLJ. Other people loved it. Good for them. I liked Solo. Other people hated it. I am not going to run to the internet and post a bunch of stupid numbers to figure out if my opinion is "more valid" than someone else's. What a waste of time.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2018, 06:15:20 am »
Entertainment is subjective. Titanic is one of the highest grossing movies of all time. For me it sucked. My wife loved it. I fell asleep in the theater watching Avatar. I don't care at all what everyone else thinks about a movie. I didn't like TLJ. Other people loved it. Good for them. I liked Solo. Other people hated it. I am not going to run to the internet and post a bunch of stupid numbers to figure out if my opinion is "more valid" than someone else's. What a waste of time.

Well said. :cheers:

I actually like the fact that I like many movies others hate, and vice versa. Don't get the logic of being upset if someone has a different opinion on a movie. Its called having personal taste and not relying on groupthink to form an own opinion. IMHO, what we need right now: more people who can think for themselves and not need the internet to tell them what they should like and hate. /soapbox.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2018, 12:17:37 pm »
Its called having personal taste and not relying on groupthink to form an own opinion.
QFT

The only consideration that anyone should have for my opinion is that I am allowed to have it. 

Social media is all about sharing opinions, but it has devolved into a pool of intolerance for anyone without a like mind.  Sad.  More and more I see people stating opinion as fact and getting upset at people who don't agree with them.  What ever happened to "IMHO"?  Or even the "humble" part of that acronym?