Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Intellivision has got something new planned!  (Read 18661 times)

cw

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 07:18:37 pm
  • Game over man game over
    • The Cab
Intellivision has got something new planned!
« on: June 01, 2018, 03:55:44 pm »
https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/30/intellivision-plans-new-console/

looks like it has more potential than the atari box..

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
Re: Intellivision has got something new planned!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 07:01:23 pm »
They're banking on the Intellivision name to sell the system? Good luck with that.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 01:28:44 pm »
My kids never heard of intellivision or colecovision.
I asked them.
They know atari 2600 but wern't sure about the 5200 or 7800.

Unfortunately If someone isn't making a video about gaming on it on youtube.....

cw

• Offline Offline
    • The Cab
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 05:44:04 pm »

looks like things are moving along

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 10:48:07 am »
I've been following this since the initial announcement.  The original Intellivision was my first console BITD so I'm obviously biased.  But I'm less inclined to buy the Amico until they incorporate playing the original ROMS   and/or having updated versions of the original ROMS. 

All of the games that they've demo'd or shown game play of are just kind of meh to me.  The niche that they're going for is family gaming and I get that.  But most of the games look like iOS and Android games.  Farkle is a fun dice game but I'm not itching to play it on a console.  The AD&D game update looks interesting but it's not going to drive me to be an early adopter.  Astrosmash looks fun but just a hybrid of the original with SHMUP additions. 

Adding AI controlled opponents into updated ROMS of the original sports games, Sea Battle, etc would make me seriously consider getting it.  Until then....

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 10:54:38 am »
I actually ponied up the $100 deposit way back when on this.  I like their design philosophy. I am cautiously optimistic but the idea that it's more of a party/family gaming station rather than a serious contender against the Nintendo/Sony/MS consoles is intriguing. It appeared to be one of those things you can bust out on a game night with friends, and play some simple games. I don't know about anyone else but I've never had luck getting enough people to play multiplayer shooters, but I have had plenty of interest in the Jackbox-type games that work with smart phones. Plus, I kind of like the Moon Patrol demo on my smartphone even if the controls are kind of ass.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 10:56:19 am »
I've been following this since the initial announcement.  The original Intellivision was my first console BITD so I'm obviously biased.  But I'm less inclined to buy the Amico until they incorporate playing the original ROMS   and/or having updated versions of the original ROMS. 

All of the games that they've demo'd or shown game play of are just kind of meh to me.  The niche that they're going for is family gaming and I get that.  But most of the games look like iOS and Android games.  Farkle is a fun dice game but I'm not itching to play it on a console.  The AD&D game update looks interesting but it's not going to drive me to be an early adopter.  Astrosmash looks fun but just a hybrid of the original with SHMUP additions. 

Adding AI controlled opponents into updated ROMS of the original sports games, Sea Battle, etc would make me seriously consider getting it.  Until then....

Same here.  We are past family gaming in our house with only one adult child left.  If they had released this 10 years ago I would have been a lot more interested.

If I can play 1-player versions of the Intellivision classics I grew up with that is a positive.  The lack of tactile buttons is a turnoff for me.  I get why they went with touchscreens instead but I find that type of gaming very unsatisfying.

The demo they released of Moon Patrol is a lot of fun but honestly I just wanted to figure out how to play it with arcade controls. 

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 11:19:14 am »
I actually ponied up the $100 deposit way back when on this.  I like their design philosophy. I am cautiously optimistic but the idea that it's more of a party/family gaming station rather than a serious contender against the Nintendo/Sony/MS consoles is intriguing. It appeared to be one of those things you can bust out on a game night with friends, and play some simple games. I don't know about anyone else but I've never had luck getting enough people to play multiplayer shooters, but I have had plenty of interest in the Jackbox-type games that work with smart phones. Plus, I kind of like the Moon Patrol demo on my smartphone even if the controls are kind of ass.

I get that.  I wonder what the appeal will be besides old school gamers and if they can capture a share of the casual gaming market.  I like their philosophy but the games haven't wowed me yet.

Same here.  We are past family gaming in our house with only one adult child left.  If they had released this 10 years ago I would have been a lot more interested.

If I can play 1-player versions of the Intellivision classics I grew up with that is a positive.  The lack of tactile buttons is a turnoff for me.  I get why they went with touchscreens instead but I find that type of gaming very unsatisfying.

The demo they released of Moon Patrol is a lot of fun but honestly I just wanted to figure out how to play it with arcade controls. 

To clarify, you have more than one adult child left.  They just aren't living in your house.   :D

I'm in the wait and see group on that controller.  Tactile buttons worked on on the original.  I rarely used the overlays because I wanted to feel the button press directly. 

I'm curious if they'll allow their software developers to port their games to mobile devices?  I'd bet they have a contract with them for X period of time then they can release them elsewhere.  Dunno.

To be honest, I'd would pay $250 to be able to play one player Sea Battle vs an AI opponent.  I only threw in the sports games to make me look like less of a dork.   :laugh:

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:23:10 pm
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 12:28:25 pm »
I ordered a founders edition also. The wife is not much of a gamer (and honestly, neither am I anymore...I like to build more than play) so I think this might be fun for us empty nesters. We bought a nintendo Wii back in the day and it was a lot of fun. Games we could both play.

From the looks of it, this might have much of the same but at a cheaper price per game. We will see. I have also heard there will be releases of some of the originals eventually. I think that would be cool.

J_K_M_A_N

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 12:52:16 pm »
I ordered a founders edition also. The wife is not much of a gamer (and honestly, neither am I anymore...I like to build more than play) so I think this might be fun for us empty nesters. We bought a nintendo Wii back in the day and it was a lot of fun. Games we could both play.

From the looks of it, this might have much of the same but at a cheaper price per game. We will see. I have also heard there will be releases of some of the originals eventually. I think that would be cool.

J_K_M_A_N

We had a lot of fun as a family with our Wii as well.  It was a great system for group gaming.

That founders edition is lit.  I love the retro design of it.  :cheers:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 12:55:40 pm »

To clarify, you have more than one adult child left.  They just aren't living in your house.   :D

That is correct!

I'm curious if they'll allow their software developers to port their games to mobile devices?  I'd bet they have a contract with them for X period of time then they can release them elsewhere.  Dunno.

To be honest, I'd would pay $250 to be able to play one player Sea Battle vs an AI opponent.  I only threw in the sports games to make me look like less of a dork.   :laugh:

I think you are right about the games being ported to other devices.  That makes a lot of sense particularly at the price-point they will be selling the games for.

I'm the same with Sea Battle and Utopia.  Would love 1-player versions of those games.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 01:00:53 am »
Dear god folks this thing has been circling the drain for 3 years now.  It's garbage, just like the recently released Atari VCS, which is a pc without games and without the ability to put a video card.... which might be useful for GAMING, inside it.  I will repeat this for the millionth time.... if a new console is coming out and it doesn't have Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony branding.... do NOT buy that console as it's d.o.a. already.  This isn't the 80's.... third party companies can't just enter the gaming market on a whim.... it takes massive amounts of time and money even for a budget console and then it has to be either powerful enough or novel enough to get game developers to take a risk on making anything more than a glorified mini game and you need several developers to make a decent launch lineup.  This console doesn't have a single solitary thing going for it.  Hell the rumor is the hardware and OS aren't even finalized yet. 

cw

• Offline Offline
    • The Cab
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 08:30:55 pm »
https://intellivision.com/

its not that terrible....

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 08:11:26 pm »
so it's a snap dragon SOC with custom android.
i went down that road with the ouya.

and while i and the kids genuinely enjoyed playing games on it, most ended up on steam anyways.
$250 pre-order at game stop.
games look cool but we have plenty of indy type couch games to play off steam.

gamestop also has the atari VCS without controllers for $300.
it's got more potential.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 10:58:27 pm »
it's got more potential.

Or you know, you could add another 50 to 100 dollars to that and buy an actual games console with actual games available for it.  Sometimes I don't understand why you guys want to make things more difficult than they are.   buy a switch, a ps4 or a xbox one.... hell buy a wii u, 360 or ps3.... you'll have way more games available and the experience is going to be so much better.   All those indie titles get released on real consoles as well people, which is why any third party console that specializes in low end games but still has a high price tag is redundant and stupid.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2021, 12:30:35 am »
May be hard to say really I think, as how many people now are willing to pay for so many flavors of A1Up nostalgia...?

I'm not arguing that the Intellivison or Atari thing is worth the dough for the enlightened, but if they are banking on how many people out there (now in their 50s and who had an original bitd) don't have the time, inclination, knowledge or fortitude to build a mame box or a MiSTer but still want to play some memories?

They'll catch a few fish with that lure- just not many out of this pond.

Those who weren't among the enlightened but then REALLY get it after owning one of those will wind up with a profile here eventually.

I know a lot of you guys here have been doing this for decades, but I was entirely clueless about this hobby until maybe 3-4 years ago now myself- and I LOVED my 2600 and pumped quarters into machines everywhere.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 02:09:57 am »
But that's the thing.... it's not nostalgia though.   They are billing these scams as modern consoles for brand new games.   The only nostalgia involved is the brand name and I hate to break it to you guys but Atari as we knew it hasn't been in business in decades and intellivision never made it out of the 80's.  Now if this were a more  casual crowd around here I could see it, but we all know better.   If you want to play games buy a real games console and certainly don't pay as much for some junk system as you would for a legit console.  If these were cheap I could see it but they aren't.  Don't misunderstand if you just want one that is ok, but you have to admit to yourself and everyone else that you are just buying it for the novelty of the thing.   

Arcade1up is a totally different animal btw.   Most normal people don't realize that cabs can be bought or built for around the same price as the arcade1up stuff if you know where to look because they are an industrial product that was never intended for private consumption.  Folks go on eBay, see the sky high prices of cabs...because eBay.... and think the a1up is the closest thing they can afford.  In other words people buy them out of ignorance. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2021, 02:38:15 pm »
it's got more potential.

Or you know, you could add another 50 to 100 dollars to that and buy an actual games console with actual games available for it.  Sometimes I don't understand why you guys want to make things more difficult than they are.   buy a switch, a ps4 or a xbox one.... hell buy a wii u, 360 or ps3.... you'll have way more games available and the experience is going to be so much better.   All those indie titles get released on real consoles as well people, which is why any third party console that specializes in low end games but still has a high price tag is redundant and stupid.

because i don't want a console.
I'm a PC guy.
I use steam.
the atari VCS is a PC.
regardless of what they call it.
you cannot get a ryzen mini PC with it's specs for less.

and, because it's a "failed console" I expect the price to drop even more by yr end.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 02:39:50 pm by nitrogen_widget »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2021, 09:04:14 pm »
That makes absolutely no sense man.... consoles and pcs are the same thing now only a console doesn't have all the bs that comes with pc setups but you do you.  Also these things aren't pcs either, they are consoles so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make .... that perhaps you can hack it an sorta kinda have a pc??

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2021, 11:53:22 pm »
I will say I am curious to see what is under the hood of one of these things.

Can't imagine any of these companies are using anything but a minimum in hardware, pared down from what we are accustomed to trying to hotrod.
And probably with parts that aren't given to hotrodding easily.

How the chip fracas is impacting all this will be interesting to see also.

Didn't realize these were pitched as "new stuff in a familiar package" sorta thing either.
Not sure these guys are doing good market research or focus group work before they sink all this $$ into stuff.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2021, 06:20:17 am »
It is easy. They sink other people's money into it. When you do that you don't have to make good decisions. You just have to convince a bunch of people that you have a good idea.

popsicle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2023, 11:07:15 am
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,104229.msg1102713.html#msg1102713
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2021, 10:45:34 am »
I ordered the founders edition, and have been following news since the beginning. Yes, Intellivision was my first system and I clearly have nostalgia for the original. But, despite the fact that there have been delays in the launch and the CEO often seems to run toward drama rather than ignore it, I remain optimistic. He has put together a crack team of professionals and clearly has passion and vision with this project. I'm looking forward to the new skiing, astrosmash, breakout, and night stalker from what has been shown so far. I'm sure there will be some games that are a bit too simplistic for long term sessions, but that isn't the target. Hopefully more party/board games in the Jackbox vein will show up once things get moving and this thing will make a place for itself.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2021, 12:07:10 pm »
That makes absolutely no sense man.... consoles and pcs are the same thing now only a console doesn't have all the bs that comes with pc setups but you do you.  Also these things aren't pcs either, they are consoles so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make .... that perhaps you can hack it an sorta kinda have a pc??

the atari box is made so you can install windows or linux on it.
they advertise that.
people are doing it.
they can call it a console, but there are no consoles from sony or MS that allow you to install windows and show you how.

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2021, 10:37:51 pm »
Delayed again. This time until the end of the year. Let’s see if they can make this date.
https://kotaku.com/intellivision-amico-delayed-a-third-time-now-out-by-en-1847444094

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2021, 09:07:53 pm »
Delayed again. This time until the end of the year. Let’s see if they can make this date.
https://kotaku.com/intellivision-amico-delayed-a-third-time-now-out-by-en-1847444094

lol nope... they have yet to even show a working prototype of the unit... the best they've been able to do in the past two years is show the controllers behaving poorly.   You'll know it is ready when they actually show the console and the OS it's running, ect.... as of now it is pure vaporware.   

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2021, 07:59:51 pm »
so apparently Cloantro who owns the Amiga forever emulator was suing intellivision over their attempt to trademark the name Amico for their console.

just lol at people these days.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2021, 10:55:53 pm »
so apparently Cloantro who owns the Amiga forever emulator was suing intellivision over their attempt to trademark the name Amico for their console.

Well here is the thing.  He might have a legit case.   You see the intellivision brand lapsed and was resurrected by one of those companies that buys the rights to dead brands.   If the emulator was developed in those limbo years when the company didn't exist one could argue he has a valid claim.   

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2021, 01:09:45 pm »

Well here is the thing.  He might have a legit case.   You see the intellivision brand lapsed and was resurrected by one of those companies that buys the rights to dead brands.   If the emulator was developed in those limbo years when the company didn't exist one could argue he has a valid claim.

i google some more.
according to the court documents they want to block it because they think people will mistake amico for amiga.  :dunno

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2021, 12:04:31 am »

i google some more.
according to the court documents they want to block it because they think people will mistake amico for amiga.  :dunno

So we get to see if someone in a court somewhere also confuses old Latin and Spanish then?!
 :lol

What a world we live in-

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2021, 05:16:08 am »
I think these new consoles are using the old Sony dodge to save on taxes due the unit being a PC originally.  The PS3 allowed you to install Yellow Dog Linux thus treating the PS3 as a PC (they later stopped the functionality) and bypassed EU tax.  Not sure about US tax.

Naming of the new device should be more associated to the target audience of the old device.  The Intellivision was always the step child of the VCS.  They were in the stores at the time as was the Vectrex but nobody played it. The Vectrex was always broken due to customer wear.

The Coleco had more arcade accurate games at the time and had to incorporate VCS compatibility to keep it alive, and they had plans to include an Intellivision adapter too.  I say the new product will be a lame duck.  Heck I never play any Intellivision games on my cab - they just suck. I do not see a Coleco rehash in the works.

The 2600 was king on Friday Pizza nights with Demon Attack and nothing came close.  Demon Attack, Yars Revenge and Empire Strikes Back, and eventually the controller cramp after a few hours.

If you want to spend $250 on Amico Glacier that will sit on the shelf - good for you.  ;D

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2021, 01:18:50 pm »
Well the main problem (aside from the fact that they've yet to show an actual working product) is that it is intellivison in name only.   I mean I'm sure they will release the old roms to play and maybe even update a few, but what this thing has on it's release lineup is 5 to 10 year old mobile games.   I still don't understand how a modern gaming company doesn't get that if you release a new console, you have to make a decent amount of first party games to support it.   This is the exact same reason why the new atari failed.... decent enough console if it had some really good games on it, but it doesn't.  Honestly Nintendo seems to be the only company that understands.... you start working on a killer game before or at the same time as the console development.   

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2021, 12:52:59 pm »
Maybe Soulja Boy bought them too-

It all makes sense now...

https://www.pcgamer.com/atari-denies-it-is-owned-by-soulja-boy/

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2021, 09:06:18 pm »
I think that what's more telling is the fact that the latest company to hold the atari name is so pathetic that they did sign him to a legit deal to promote their products.