Main > Consoles

Intellivision has got something new planned!

<< < (2/7) > >>

DaveMMR:
I actually ponied up the $100 deposit way back when on this.  I like their design philosophy. I am cautiously optimistic but the idea that it's more of a party/family gaming station rather than a serious contender against the Nintendo/Sony/MS consoles is intriguing. It appeared to be one of those things you can bust out on a game night with friends, and play some simple games. I don't know about anyone else but I've never had luck getting enough people to play multiplayer shooters, but I have had plenty of interest in the Jackbox-type games that work with smart phones. Plus, I kind of like the Moon Patrol demo on my smartphone even if the controls are kind of ass.

wp34:

--- Quote from: Hoopz on January 05, 2021, 10:48:07 am ---I've been following this since the initial announcement.  The original Intellivision was my first console BITD so I'm obviously biased.  But I'm less inclined to buy the Amico until they incorporate playing the original ROMS   and/or having updated versions of the original ROMS. 

All of the games that they've demo'd or shown game play of are just kind of meh to me.  The niche that they're going for is family gaming and I get that.  But most of the games look like iOS and Android games.  Farkle is a fun dice game but I'm not itching to play it on a console.  The AD&D game update looks interesting but it's not going to drive me to be an early adopter.  Astrosmash looks fun but just a hybrid of the original with SHMUP additions. 

Adding AI controlled opponents into updated ROMS of the original sports games, Sea Battle, etc would make me seriously consider getting it.  Until then....

--- End quote ---

Same here.  We are past family gaming in our house with only one adult child left.  If they had released this 10 years ago I would have been a lot more interested.

If I can play 1-player versions of the Intellivision classics I grew up with that is a positive.  The lack of tactile buttons is a turnoff for me.  I get why they went with touchscreens instead but I find that type of gaming very unsatisfying.

The demo they released of Moon Patrol is a lot of fun but honestly I just wanted to figure out how to play it with arcade controls. 

Hoopz:

--- Quote from: DaveMMR on January 05, 2021, 10:54:38 am ---I actually ponied up the $100 deposit way back when on this.  I like their design philosophy. I am cautiously optimistic but the idea that it's more of a party/family gaming station rather than a serious contender against the Nintendo/Sony/MS consoles is intriguing. It appeared to be one of those things you can bust out on a game night with friends, and play some simple games. I don't know about anyone else but I've never had luck getting enough people to play multiplayer shooters, but I have had plenty of interest in the Jackbox-type games that work with smart phones. Plus, I kind of like the Moon Patrol demo on my smartphone even if the controls are kind of ass.

--- End quote ---

I get that.  I wonder what the appeal will be besides old school gamers and if they can capture a share of the casual gaming market.  I like their philosophy but the games haven't wowed me yet.

--- Quote from: wp34 on January 05, 2021, 10:56:19 am ---Same here.  We are past family gaming in our house with only one adult child left.  If they had released this 10 years ago I would have been a lot more interested.

If I can play 1-player versions of the Intellivision classics I grew up with that is a positive.  The lack of tactile buttons is a turnoff for me.  I get why they went with touchscreens instead but I find that type of gaming very unsatisfying.

The demo they released of Moon Patrol is a lot of fun but honestly I just wanted to figure out how to play it with arcade controls. 

--- End quote ---

To clarify, you have more than one adult child left.  They just aren't living in your house.   :D

I'm in the wait and see group on that controller.  Tactile buttons worked on on the original.  I rarely used the overlays because I wanted to feel the button press directly. 

I'm curious if they'll allow their software developers to port their games to mobile devices?  I'd bet they have a contract with them for X period of time then they can release them elsewhere.  Dunno.

To be honest, I'd would pay $250 to be able to play one player Sea Battle vs an AI opponent.  I only threw in the sports games to make me look like less of a dork.   :laugh:

J_K_M_A_N:
I ordered a founders edition also. The wife is not much of a gamer (and honestly, neither am I anymore...I like to build more than play) so I think this might be fun for us empty nesters. We bought a nintendo Wii back in the day and it was a lot of fun. Games we could both play.

From the looks of it, this might have much of the same but at a cheaper price per game. We will see. I have also heard there will be releases of some of the originals eventually. I think that would be cool.

J_K_M_A_N

wp34:

--- Quote from: J_K_M_A_N on January 05, 2021, 12:28:25 pm ---I ordered a founders edition also. The wife is not much of a gamer (and honestly, neither am I anymore...I like to build more than play) so I think this might be fun for us empty nesters. We bought a nintendo Wii back in the day and it was a lot of fun. Games we could both play.

From the looks of it, this might have much of the same but at a cheaper price per game. We will see. I have also heard there will be releases of some of the originals eventually. I think that would be cool.

J_K_M_A_N

--- End quote ---

We had a lot of fun as a family with our Wii as well.  It was a great system for group gaming.

That founders edition is lit.  I love the retro design of it.  :cheers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version