Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Resolved: Wii NTSC to Arcade RGB?  (Read 3016 times)

ArcadeAction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2019, 04:35:29 pm
  • I have built my own arcade controls!
    • ArcadeMade.com
Resolved: Wii NTSC to Arcade RGB?
« on: May 30, 2018, 10:13:30 pm »
Resolved: End goal was to connect a Wii to a rounded CRT with RGB input (an arcade monitor seemed the solution at the time). Now after discovering the JVC D-Series TVs with component input, I've decided to just use those as the result is virtually the same as using RGB.

Hi, my end goal is to connect an NTSC Wii to a CGA 15khz arcade monitor such as a K7000.

What would be the best way to go about this?

Perhaps useful information:
I currently connect my Wii to a component CRT monitor and the picture is great. I want to get a similar result but with a rounded style tube. Most all CRT TVs that I have found are flat screen CRTs, and because I have dozens of arcade CRTs that do have rounded tubes, I would like to use one of these. I do lots of arcade tube swaps and so I wish to put an arcade chassis into a nice woodgrain TV running a hacked Wii for a gaming system.

There is a Mayflash VGA adapter I'd thought to use with a JPAC or a simple VGA to CGA pin adapter, but that looks to only do 480p. Perhaps there is another adapter to recommend. Perhaps I could get a Wii SCART cable and mod the settings so my NTSC system would output PAL60 for RGB and then get a Sync Strike SCART to RGB adapter (http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strike-Devices/Sync-Strike::15.html?language=en), but I'm thinking there should be an easier/more direct way.

Suggestions appreciated, thanks
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:05:53 pm by ArcadeAction »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Wii NTSC to Arcade RGB?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 09:34:33 am »
Test the resistance and see if you can just tube swap to a component chassis. That wont give you 15Hz but it will give you the "rounded" tube you're looking for.  I prefer to avoid converters when I can.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 01:02:08 am »
I don't know about physically modding the Wii, but using a softmodded Wii i was never able to force video modes. Any NTSC game i took and tried to force to output RGB would just crash the system, in either Nintendon't or discloaders (can't remember the name). I had no idea what i was doing though, so it might work if done right?

ArcadeAction

• Offline Offline
    • ArcadeMade.com
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 01:45:37 pm »
Right now I'm looking at getting an Ultimarc Wii AV to Arcade Monitor/Speaker Adaptor (Screw Connect) http://www.ultimarc.com/wii.html  This has terminal screws to connect to an arcade monitor RGB inputs.

I realize this ONLY supports RGB output for PAL Wiis, but I am thinking with homebrew emulators I can set it to PAL60 and then it will enable the RGB out and colors will work correctly. My sole purpose for this Wii console will be to run NES, SNES, Genesis and SMS games.

Does anyone have thoughts on using this adapter cable with the PAL60 setting in the emulators?

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 12:21:32 am »
Right now I'm looking at getting an Ultimarc Wii AV to Arcade Monitor/Speaker Adaptor (Screw Connect) http://www.ultimarc.com/wii.html  This has terminal screws to connect to an arcade monitor RGB inputs.

I realize this ONLY supports RGB output for PAL Wiis, but I am thinking with homebrew emulators I can set it to PAL60 and then it will enable the RGB out and colors will work correctly. My sole purpose for this Wii console will be to run NES, SNES, Genesis and SMS games.

Does anyone have thoughts on using this adapter cable with the PAL60 setting in the emulators?

When the Wii outputs RGB it still outputs Composite video at the same time, but stops outputting S-Video. Either way there's room in there to test things. Get a cheapo Wii component cable off ebay if you need to. Boot with a regular AV cable, then force PAL60 on something. If the Wii doesn't crash, plug in your component cable while it's running and swap the Y cable (green RCA plug of component video) for the regular composite video cable (yellow RCA plug) in your TV. If the picture then shows up in black and white, you have not successfully forced PAL60 and RGB.

EDIT2: changed the above to make proper sense. If you boot any Wii with the component cable plugged in, it outputs component. But I’m not sure if it still outputs composite at the same time. Either way the above method will work to test things, because the S-Video/RGB switch is easy to catch.

EDIT: This is all obviously to test if you can get RGB before spending real money on Ultimarc hardware. That link you posted doesn't show the right connections. You'll want one of the cables, i guess, but i doubt that monitor will take an HD15 plug (VGA), and either way you'll probably want a video amp like the j-pac as well.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:06:37 pm by buttersoft »

ArcadeAction

• Offline Offline
    • ArcadeMade.com
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 03:07:27 pm »
Update:
I picked up an Ultimarc Wii AV cable and I connected it to a K7000 monitor. The RGB colors are just fine with my NTSC Wii when I choose to output PAL 60, but the video amp in the Wii AV is just too weak. It results in a picture that looks like when you run a JAMMA game, but have the flyback turned too low.

If you adjust the flyback up, the image gets washed out. This same monitor was just rebuilt and looks great with regular JAMMA PCBs.

Maybe someone has thoughts or suggestions.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 07:37:35 pm »
As i noted above, in and edit, right at the end where no one could miss it (sure :)) - you'll need a video amp. Ultimarc's Jpac is nice, or you can build something simple with a THS7314 or 7316, or even a THS7374 if you can work that small. Just plan out what you're going to do and how you're going to connect it. For those video amp IC's, just feed in the video signals terminated at 75R, and feed the output directly into your chassis inputs, do not worry about any further components. You can power the circuit from the +5V rail of the Wii's AV output.

(When using the above IC's to amplify a weak console video signal for use in a consumer TV or PVM, not an arcade monitor, building the AC-coupled circuit found in the datasheet for each is advised, though the capacitors across the power supply rails may be removed to help in cases of signal noise.)

No older arcade monitor i've used would handle video at 0.7Vp-p (consumer TV and VGA RGB standard video level). Arcade boards typically started at about 1.5Vp-p and went up to about 3-4Vp-p. But no monitor i've used has had any trouble once i put one of those chip amps in front of it either.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 07:55:04 pm by buttersoft »

ArcadeAction

• Offline Offline
    • ArcadeMade.com
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 03:03:51 pm »
Just an update on this:

I have decided not to use an arcade monitor, but just connect the Wii to a rounded CRT TV that has component input after discovering how good the JVC D-Series TVs are. The result is visually identical to an RGB connection. The Wii AV from Ultimarc supposedly has an amp on it but even though it receives 5V from a USA system, it does not send amplified video when testing voltages at the output. Adding a video amplifier at the end does bring the video to the correct levels so that can work but at that point there are so many wires and hassles and then I'd need to mod the Wii in software additionally to PAL and there are some headaches with that also.