Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: javeryh's Small-ish Bartop ["Jack Attack!"]  (Read 122317 times)

bperkins01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
Re: javeryh's Small-ish Bartop ["Jack Attack!"]
« Reply #520 on: February 08, 2021, 06:15:32 pm »
You captured the essence of what I was thinking in that second drawing.
Its simple..  no angles to cut.  no big blocks of wood
Its plenty strong..  don't stand on it..

I've been woodworking for 30 years.. Many of you are worried about how strong something is going to be ..  The level of *strength* being designed into some of these cabs is WAY overkill..   (Not this one specifically)  Most of the machines in the arcades were crappy 3/4" particle board.  Williams made nice 3/4" plywood cabs.. 

The 23' power boat I made (with a 300HP motor) - hits 50MPH on flat water and has a 1/2" plywood bottom..  Yes - 1/2" plywood.

my point - don't get too caught up on building a fortress..  chances are its way too strong already..

ps.  My design is easy - I highly recommend it  :P

My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #521 on: February 08, 2021, 09:15:48 pm »
OK I think I get it now.  The second drawing looks doable to me.  In fact, the whole time I’ve wished I had the forethought to have an access door on the bottom.  I could even glue the CP down permanently as long as I had access to the wiring underneath, right?  Or maybe that’s not a good idea if something breaks?  I wouldn’t even need to cover the opening with anything other than 1/16” plexiglas held down by a few screws.

So how would you cut a rectangle out of the bottom panel without mangling it/making a bunch of wavy lines?  I can’t get the power tools in there and I’m afraid I don’t have the skills to cut a straight line without a guide of some sort.

These pics are really helping me visualize what I need to do.

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 02:03:14 am
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #522 on: February 09, 2021, 11:42:38 am »
I could even glue the CP down permanently as long as I had access to the wiring underneath,

You definitely could but that would make it a little more challenging to get stuff in and out and fix any wiring issues.  I also thought you wanted to avoid the super small precision hole drilling which is why I extended the wood and made it thicker.  As far as how to make the door, that seems like a good questions for bperkins or someone with a lot more wood working experience.  Only thing I can think of is that you would need some form of a small circular saw or dremel to at least get a clean slot started and avoid the typical pilot hole approach.  Then something like a keyhole saw or similar fine tooth variant could be used to cut each direction from there, very slowly by hand.  As you indicated, I would setup a guide of some sort, maybe with a metal ruler to keep both saws against.  If that actually works, then you keep your door in tacts and just modify it with an extended lip on one end and a lock on the other, or add something at the base of your cabinet that you can screw inserts into in order to hold it closed.  This process could be made simpler if you can take the bottom off to work with a nice flat board.

The other idea is to blow away the door part.  Use a drill / hole saw to start a decent center hole to navigate.  Then jigsaw out the rest, again ideally with guides.  Not sure you could cleanly get a router in there or not to clean up edges so you might need to rely just on the jigsaw, or ruff cut it out with that and use a coping saw with a guide for the finished edges.  Then you'd have to make a new door to fit the hole.  My original suggested ways eliminates the precision holes and doesn't require you to make a big access door under it.  So there are some trade offs to consider, but the good news is, there appear to be a few different ways you can solve this.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #523 on: February 10, 2021, 08:21:34 am »
OK I think I get it now.  The second drawing looks doable to me.  In fact, the whole time I’ve wished I had the forethought to have an access door on the bottom.  I could even glue the CP down permanently as long as I had access to the wiring underneath, right?  Or maybe that’s not a good idea if something breaks?  I wouldn’t even need to cover the opening with anything other than 1/16” plexiglas held down by a few screws.

So how would you cut a rectangle out of the bottom panel without mangling it/making a bunch of wavy lines?  I can’t get the power tools in there and I’m afraid I don’t have the skills to cut a straight line without a guide of some sort.

If you want to cut a clean hole in the bottom - the best way to do it is make a template first, then use the router and cut the panel out.

From my build thread - this exact technique:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156272.msg1654080.html#msg1654080

The template and the inlay bit set will let you do what you want.  Of course this would have been much simpler before assembly.  After assembly - this is plan B.
Your CP isn't so busy that you can't fix it from the bottom - glue and screw in place is likely fine :)

Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #524 on: February 10, 2021, 09:38:31 am »
If you want to cut a clean hole in the bottom - the best way to do it is make a template first, then use the router and cut the panel out.

From my build thread - this exact technique:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156272.msg1654080.html#msg1654080

The template and the inlay bit set will let you do what you want.  Of course this would have been much simpler before assembly.  After assembly - this is plan B.
Your CP isn't so busy that you can't fix it from the bottom - glue and screw in place is likely fine :)

Thanks.  I've read your thread a bunch of times - really clean work and the hardboard templates are great.  Like you said though, would have been easier if it wasn't assembled.  I cannot turn my router sideways for safety reasons and there's no way to make the bottom sit face up so I can work so I'm kind of stuck (no router table either, which would also probably work).  I have a dremel that I can use to cut a sort of straight line through the bottom (about 1" long) and I have a japanese hand saw I could use to finish cutting and get a sort of straight line... it will not be perfect and will actually be a bit sloppy but then again it's on the bottom.

My stupid hair tie solution has actually been holding up pretty good after a few days of playing on it - CP hasn't moved at all - just not sure about long term prospects. 

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #525 on: February 10, 2021, 10:29:42 am »
Make a hardboard template for the opening you want and stick it on the bottom.
Drill, cut, hand sand and file to the template opening..

Now you have a clean opening.
then make a new door for it

it will be all hand work.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #526 on: November 26, 2021, 03:34:03 pm »
This is for Arroyo who reminded me that it is time to get this thing from 95% finished to 100% finished.  Let's call it... 98% now.

I finally put the t-molding on.  It had been sitting in the basement without t-molding for years so Wednesday afternoon when I was on an endless conference call I decided to hammer it out (literally).  This was by far the most difficult t-molding job I've ever done.  Lots of curves on this and the interior ones made it tough.

It looks great with the t-molding installed.  It came out even better than the initial idea I had in my head.  Other than the dustwasher, which I want to change to something that matches the CP a little better, and some software configuration (ServoStick is not working as intended) this thing is finished.  I'll try to get a video walk-through posted but it's nothing you haven't seen a million times before.

Right now I have a handful of Arcade, NES, SNES, Atari 2600, GBC and GBA games installed.  Not many games seems well-suited to this format other than the very simple ones like Atari 2600 and Tetris.  Games that require fast reflexes like Mega Man seem damn near impossible with the joystick.  Maybe I just need to play it more!   :cheers:

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #527 on: November 26, 2021, 04:35:48 pm »
Regardless of how it plays at the moment,it looks stunning mate.  :applaud:

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #528 on: November 26, 2021, 06:03:28 pm »
Still using the hair tie solution to hold your cp?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #529 on: November 26, 2021, 06:33:04 pm »
Still using the hair tie solution to hold your cp?

yeah and it seems to be working.  It's rock solid for me when I play but eventually I imagine I'll have to figure something else out...

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #530 on: November 26, 2021, 07:27:13 pm »
Well, maybe just a stronger bendable wire that you can twistie tie on the bottom for a longer term hold than what is presumably a nylon based tie?  Plenty of gauge options.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-25-ft-55-lb-16-Gauge-Galvanized-Steel-Wire-50130/100242844?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-100144004-_-100242844-_-N&

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #531 on: November 27, 2021, 07:29:33 am »

The way it plays is the most important part of a machine that plays video games.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
javeryh's Small-ish Bartop ["Jack Attack!"]
« Reply #532 on: November 27, 2021, 08:10:42 am »

The way it plays is the most important part of a machine that plays video games.
Yeah - it’s definitely 100% playable and is working exactly as intended.  I just don’t know if I personally like the bartop form factor to play games on a regular basis given all the other options I have in the house.  It has to be the most popular style of arcade cabinet by a factor of 100 though so I’m probably just too old to understand.

Games like Tetris and Mario vs. Donkey Kong and Adventure and most arcade/Atari 2600 games are really fun to play but stuff like Sonic or Mario just feels weird.  I also probably won’t play Zelda or Final Fantasy or probably even Metroid and Castlevania on this thing either.

I just need to play more and keep refining the game lists.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #533 on: November 27, 2021, 09:31:27 am »
Lovely looking little machine you have there  :applaud:
Click a pic for a video tour 

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #534 on: November 27, 2021, 01:54:01 pm »

Which is why I tried to be clear i was commenting on the look of it.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #535 on: November 27, 2021, 02:18:34 pm »
Which is why I tried to be clear i was commenting on the look of it.

I appreciate the kind words.  Feels good to get this (mostly) finished up!

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #536 on: November 27, 2021, 10:02:07 pm »
---gosh-darn--- that looks good buddy.  I’d say it came out just like the render!

Finish off that duster and the ServoStick and you are done!