Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: javeryh's Small-ish Bartop ["Jack Attack!"]  (Read 122883 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
Re: javeryh's Small-ish Bartop ["Jack Attack!"] [We have paint!]
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2018, 12:26:32 pm »

The light on the switch is always on no matter if the switch is receiving power or not.  Is this normal?  Seems like it would have to be the case based on how it is wired but I was thinking the red light might turn off if the switch wasn't on.

Sounds like you might have the input power on the wrong side of the switch ( ie. swap the AC in and jumper wire on the switch connectors) The light is wired to one side of the switch so if the input is on that side the light always receives power instead of only receiving power when it is switched on.

Thanks.  I followed this tutorial exactly and I made sure to have my switch facing the same way as the one in the video: 

I'm almost afraid to change it but if I understand correctly, you are saying to switch the two connections on the left with the two connections on the right of the switch.

EDited above to add a pic and explanation. THe light is internally connected to 2 of the prongs - If AC is supplied to that same side the light will always be on - if it comes in from the other side the light will only get power when the switch makes the connection (when switched on)

OK, I think I understand...

My switch is upside down otherwise my wiring would be correct.  I am supplying power to b1 and w1 but I should be supplying it to b2 and w2.  Can I just swap b1 with b2 and w1 with w2?  I am asking because if I actually popped the switch out and flipped it upsidedown, keeping the same wiring would mean the black and white wires are reversed.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2018, 12:32:28 pm »
YEs - Just keep the black wires on the same 2 connectors (ie. don't go from b1 to w1) and same for the white. The switch either cuts the connection from b1 to b2 and w1 to w2 (if off) or lets power run between the connections(if on) - SO it doesn't matter which pair is on which side of the switch but internally the Light is connected between either b1 w1 or b2 w2 so for the light it does make a difference which pair is the input (if on the pair the light iws wired to the light is always on or if on the opposite side the light is only on when the switch (connection from the 2 sides ) is On.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:06:08 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2018, 01:22:21 pm »
Related pic and schematic.

You can see the lamp leads at the base of tabs B and D.

Scott

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2018, 02:03:12 pm »
Thanks guys - I just rewired and it works perfectly.  Power on = light on and power off = light off.  Now I'm not so sure this is as simple as it should be with all the bad info out there!

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2018, 02:07:53 pm »
Thanks guys - I just rewired and it works perfectly.  Power on = light on and power off = light off.  Now I'm not so sure this is as simple as it should be with all the bad info out there!

It's not really bad info it's just that when assembling these things in CHINA they can put those switches in in different orientations since it doesn't really make a difference in function and they tend to use different parts from time to time so even the same product can have sllght differences over time.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2018, 02:16:12 pm »

It's not really bad info it's just that when assembling these things in CHINA they can put those switches in in different orientations since it doesn't really make a difference in function and they tend to use different parts from time to time so even the same product can have sllght differences over time.

Makes sense.   :cheers:

Alright... ever since I installed the cabinet feet I haven't been getting much sleep just knowing that there was bare MDF under there and exposed no less.  Even though they were not visible, I just can't have that. 

So I was off to Home Depot for a solution - I picked up a 2' length of 1/2" PVC pipe for $1.34.  Using my chop saw and going super slow, I shaved off four (4) 1/4" thick rings.  I did like 3 or 4 tests before figuring out that going slow wouldn't chip the PVC. I also lost a few rings due to them going flying after the saw cut through.  Oh well.

I sprayed them black and then installed.  Here's the before and after:

I will finally sleep tonight!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2018, 09:49:53 pm »
Big shout out to Ramakers here on BYOAC.  I posted this in the artwork forum:

And he magically turned it into this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xacr3xc2rsuvlf/template.pdf?dl=0

I think I'm ready to find a comic/digital artist to help me out...

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: July 09, 2018, 02:58:31 pm »
I took a week off for the 4th of July and had some fun down in Washington DC but now it is time to get back to business.  I reached out to a digital artist who has agreed to do the artwork for me so hopefully that will move forward fairly quickly.  In the meantime, here is the "canvas" for the art:

This is to scale but not 1:1 - the white areas are where the art will show.  I really hope this comes out like I'm envisioning...

In the meantime, the speaker grills and monitor glass have been delivered.  I'm going to work on getting those installed this week and touching up some black paint on some inside edges while waiting for the art.   I'm actually not that far off from completion even though it seems like it.  I better get going on the software - I have no idea what I'm doing there!  :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2018, 12:33:10 pm »
Last night I finished decasing the monitor.  This was definitely the right move (famous last words).  This thing is THIN now that it is out of the case.

In this first picture, the monitor is actually still attached to the front half of the case with those little sliver clips.  The black squares are adhesive backed foam so the brackets can have something to sink into.  I'm leaving those in place because I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to mount the monitor yet.  The red strip on the back of the PCB was added by me - it's extra strength double sided foam tape.

There is a ribbon cable connecting the PCB to the monitor that was taped to the back - I'm also leaving that in place.  No reason to move it.  This next picture shows the PCB mounted to the back of the monitor.  I wanted all of the ports to face down and I didn't want to bend the ribbon cable if I could avoid it.  Although if I was short on space I could have put them anywhere the ribbon cable would reach.

This last picture shows just how thin the monitor is - the case added at least an inch (or more) plus the bezel was about 1/4" taller than the screen so I wouldn't have been able to get the monitor flush with the glass.

I think I have the mounting almost worked out but I'm still playing with it.  I'm going to have to make a custom piece to support everything.  My plan right now is to use some of the leftover aluminum L-bracket that I used for the marquee retainers and place it exactly at the front of where the CP will meet the monitor glass so that the monitor glass can sit on it.  I've cut the aluminum and sprayed it black but I am still trying to figure out the exact shape of this custom piece. 

I was mocking it up using cardboard so something like this (the cabinet is lying on its side):

It is hard to see because of the lighting and colors but the glass is in front of the aluminum bracket.

edekoning did something similar on his awesome NES bartop:

I hope I can get it to work like he did!

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2018, 05:08:25 pm »
That’s a clever mounting solution.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: javeryh's Small-ish Bartop ["Jack Attack!"] (ARTWORK!)
« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2018, 11:32:32 am »
OK I'm starting to get excited about finishing this up.  I think it is OK to post this here - I am commissioning the artwork and got back the first rough sketch of the side art that tried to incorporate my idea of some sort of invasion to go with the name of the cabinet - "Jack Attack!".

It is almost exactly what I envisioned so I think we are in the right track.  My only comments so far are (1) to add a border so that the art looks like it was specifically made for the cabinet instead of just a random picture from the internet that got cropped to fit and (2) to (maybe) add some detail at the top - maybe the UFO will be enough once it is finished or I suggested adding some sort of flying robotic-looking weapon/drone.  Just something to fill the space.

I can't wait to see what he or she comes up with for the marquee and CP.  What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:34:04 am by javeryh »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2018, 11:48:15 am »
I really like it. No border. Maybe have it wrap around the front and the CP to the other side. One sweeping landscape.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:52:15 am by Mike A »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2018, 12:00:30 pm »
If you ever need a real artist, give me a pm. This is just a small sample of my capabilities.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2018, 12:26:04 pm »
That is shockingly close to what it would look like if I did it myself.  If I had the talent for drawing I'd probably do it all the time.

The border I was thinking of would be similar to what krangbrain did for his Star Wars cabinet HERE - the border is inset but the main characters actually overlap it.  I think it really ties the art to the specific cab.  It wouldn't work (without modification) anywhere else.

Making the landscape wrap around the front of the CP is a neat idea - I'll ask if that would be a pain to implement.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2018, 12:41:44 pm »
If you ever need a real artist, give me a pm. This is just a small sample of my capabilities.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I hate all those abbreviations, but: LOL

javeryh

• Offline Offline
javeryh's Small-ish Bartop ["Jack Attack!"] (ARTWORK!)
« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2018, 03:45:50 pm »
The border would look like this:

Not green but you get the idea - something that matches and is inset from the edge that the character can step out of.  Otherwise I’m worried it will look like I just slapped a pic on the side that wasn’t tied to the cabinet.

I’m not 100% sold on it but I do want to see a mock up from the artist so that I can make a decision...

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2018, 05:33:37 pm »
It won't hurt to see it both ways.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2018, 11:15:35 am »
Alright - Revision 2.  Ignore the colors - way off from what I'm envisioning but I think the artist nailed the picture.  I wanted a little more activity in the top part so he (or she) redrew the UFO and also added the border, which I like but it is not the right color.  We talked about adding some neon because of the 80s/robot/invasion theme but it's too much.  I am going back and asking that it get colored normally (in a comic/cartoon style) but adding one or two neon highlights like the lights on the UFO and the things coming out of the ray gun just to make it pop.

Thoughts?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2018, 11:22:55 am »

I am pretty disappointed you didn't commission me to do the artwork.
It is a shame you are going to deny yourself my obviously transcendent artistic ability.

I still prefer no outline.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2018, 12:32:58 pm »

I am pretty disappointed you didn't commission me to do the artwork.
It is a shame you are going to deny yourself my obviously transcendent artistic ability.

I still prefer no outline.

It was a close call but an actual drawing barely beat out stick figures... but I would like to see your art on a cab some day. 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2018, 12:33:50 pm »
The world is not ready for that.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2018, 12:43:10 pm »
Alright - Revision 2.  Ignore the colors - way off from what I'm envisioning but I think the artist nailed the picture.  I wanted a little more activity in the top part so he (or she) redrew the UFO and also added the border, which I like but it is not the right color.  We talked about adding some neon because of the 80s/robot/invasion theme but it's too much.  I am going back and asking that it get colored normally (in a comic/cartoon style) but adding one or two neon highlights like the lights on the UFO and the things coming out of the ray gun just to make it pop.

Thoughts?
Besides the colors I really do like this one.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2018, 03:00:45 pm »
Besides the colors I really do like this one.

Thanks.  I think we are on the right track.

I also have a mock up of the CP (again, ignore the colors).  We went for an actual control panel look like you might find in a UFO or something.  I like the idea.  I want the art here to be simple and not distracting and I think this does the job.  I didn't want arrows or button labels or the radiant beams that are so often used.  Just something to tie into the overall theme.

Obviously this is just a sketch so lines will need to be straightened out, etc.

I'm a little stuck on the marque though.  My original idea modeled after the Mars Attacks! movie poster no longer seems to fit the design.  The artist suggested some fonts ripped straight out of the 80s or GTA Vice City - neon script or metallic looking, etc.  I don't want neon so I think that's out too.  Hmmm...

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2018, 03:13:48 pm »
I hate the control panel. I am not sure what I would replace it with. I will have to think about it.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2018, 04:56:10 pm »
I hate the control panel. I am not sure what I would replace it with. I will have to think about it.

I'm open to ideas although I do like the minimalist design.  CPs are tough - usually just random patterns with clip art that don't tie into the overall theme (with obvious exceptions).  I could go plain but that's no fun and wrapping the background around from the side art is a good idea for the front where the 4 admin buttons will go but what about the top 1/2?  It also might be too much of the same thing.  I am losing the "Invading Earth Since 2007" line I was thinking about adding along the bottom.  I wanted to add "2007" somewhere since that was the year Jack was born but I guess it's OK.  Maybe it could be a byline in the marquee?  I don't know. 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2018, 12:24:16 pm »
I responded to the artist. 

Side Art: I told him/her to use "standard" colors on everything but add some splashes of neon for the lasers coming out of the ray gun, the robot's "teeth" and the rectangular lights on the UFO.  I think a hint of neon will give it an 80s feel but I wanted this to look retro-futuristic.

Control Panel
: I actually like the design and how it looks like it could be a control panel in a UFO or something but not too busy.  Just asked to tone down the colors to match the side art.

Marquee: I was stuck here.  The example the artist sent over looked like this:

Not bad other than the color scheme.  UFOs would presumably match the one on the side art.  I think that given the how short and wide the marquee is the name of the cabinet should be:

Jack Attack!

and not

Jack
Attack!

like the artist initially suggested.  But I'm not completely sold on it.  I sent over some additional examples of fonts I liked (going for a vintage/pulp/retro theme):

I like the Queen of Outer Space font the best - hand drawn so the same letters aren't exactly the same.

I think we are getting there.  Hopefully only 1 or 2 more revisions before I can get it printed!   :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 12:26:01 pm by javeryh »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2018, 12:32:19 pm »
If you use "Queen of Outer Space". The decision is easy. Just lay out 1950's era Zsa Zsa across the marquee.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2018, 03:21:23 pm »
If you use "Queen of Outer Space". The decision is easy. Just lay out 1950's era Zsa Zsa across the marquee.

The more I look at it the more I think that is the right style of font for this project.  Maybe even off center with one of the UFOs to one side?  I'm hoping by the weekend the design is final and the artist can start final coloring.  I'd like to finish this project by the end of the summer!

Next up is figuring out how to hold the monitor glass in place.  I need to drill some holes on the inside of the side panels but the drill can't get in there.  Any ideas?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2018, 03:38:18 pm »
  I need to drill some holes on the inside of the side panels but the drill can't get in there.  Any ideas?

RIght angle or flexible drill bit extension -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-Angle-Drill-and-Flexible-Angle-Extension-Bit-Kit-for-Drill-Screw-1-4-US/232730240881

and hex shank drill bit - https://www.ebay.com/itm/13pc-Hex-Shank-Titanium-Drill-Bit-Set-MULTI-BITS/290880924517
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:43:14 pm by JDFan »

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2018, 07:35:54 am »
The finishing touches and artwork is what makes your cabs stand out. I wished I had your eye, skill, and resources to take my cabs to the next level like you and a few others do.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2018, 02:53:56 pm »
RIght angle or flexible drill bit extension and hex shank drill bit

Wait a second... I have both of those things!   :laugh2:

I didn't think the angled thing would work (how do you keep it steady) but I'm going to give it a second look.  Thanks.

The finishing touches and artwork is what makes your cabs stand out. I wished I had your eye, skill, and resources to take my cabs to the next level like you and a few others do.

Thanks!  I think it is mainly the resources since I lean on so many people when I build a cab (and I also don't really care about the money since it's all part of the hobby).  The eye and skill is really just patience.  I try and think about things from all angles before actually committing which is why it takes so long but it helps me get to where I want to be (usually).   Summer baseball potentially ends tonight so I'll have a lot more time to work on this thing if we lose. 

:cheers:

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2018, 02:58:44 pm »
Who's doing your art, javeryh?  I like where it's heading.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #152 on: July 18, 2018, 03:19:16 pm »

Agreed, this looks interesting.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2018, 12:36:12 pm »

An artist I found over at DeviantArt is helping me out.  They have forums where you can ask for a commission.  People respond with examples of their work (and prices) and you can pick the one you like the best.  I liked someone named "Rusembell" - his/her art style is great and the prices are fair (IMO - not sure the effort involved but I'm happy paying for quality work).  Also, his/her communication has been great so far.  I paid 1/2 up front which is a bit of a risk and I'll pay the other 1/2 once we have a final drawing without color.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2018, 02:13:11 pm »
I paid 1/2 up front which is a bit of a risk and I'll pay the other 1/2 once we have a final drawing without color.
That's pretty standard for most artists. I was requesting a 1/2 downpayment when I was doing art commissions for people, especially rando's that I didn't know from the forum. It's a mutual risk... I've been burnt before where I'd spend a lot of time and effort on their art, but then they'd go MIA by the time it was done. Putting money down solidifies your commitment to the final delivery.

I checked out Rusembell's stuff. Looks good. Looking forward to seeing what he/she does for you.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2018, 02:14:38 pm »
Looking good Javeryh!!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2018, 04:33:27 pm »
I paid 1/2 up front which is a bit of a risk and I'll pay the other 1/2 once we have a final drawing without color.
That's pretty standard for most artists. I was requesting a 1/2 downpayment when I was doing art commissions for people, especially rando's that I didn't know from the forum. It's a mutual risk... I've been burnt before where I'd spend a lot of time and effort on their art, but then they'd go MIA by the time it was done. Putting money down solidifies your commitment to the final delivery.

Yes - definitely risky on both sides without knowing who you are dealing with.  I didn't feel uncomfortable paying the 1/2 up front.  Actually more risky for the artist since I could tell by the forum and frequency on the site that he/she was legit whereas I'm just some random person.  It is working out nicely!

Looking good Javeryh!!

Thanks!  I actually just got some feedback from the artist so we are getting closer.  We are going to hold off on the marquee and control panel art until we finalize the color scheme for the side art.  Keep in mind that I have WHITE buttons, t-molding and balltop.

Here are 2 possible color schemes.  The one on the left may be a little too blue/bright if that makes any sense but I like it better than the one on the right because the robot really pops off of the background.  I do like the purple in the one on the right but it is too close to the gray metal of the robot so it doesn't stand out as much.  I believe that this is just a mock-up and the final rendering will have everything colored in the lines, proper shadows and shading, etc. but we have to figure out the colors.

I was thinking of asking to see the sky in orange (instead of blue) but I'm afraid it would swallow up the red cape on the robot.  Maybe yellow?  I'm open to suggestions - I think it is easy for the artist to swap colors since this is all digital (but I'm not entirely sure).

I also think the border should be a different color - too much blue - but not sure what would work.

Next up is a close-up of the robot:

I think instead of neon green for the lasers and the ears I'm going to ask for neon red or hot pink and match that to the rectangular lights in the UFO.  The green accents don't look quite right to me.  I'm not sure though. 

Here is the art without the profile of the cabinet side:

I do like where this is all headed - I think the idea is solid and we are just refining it now.  I'd love to hear feedback.   :cheers:

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2020, 05:36:57 pm
« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2018, 05:01:59 pm »
This is sweet. I hear what you’re saying about the blue, and like you I’m drawn to that one. I like the border, but the bottom draft without the cabinet profile and border seems to flow best. Maybe it’s because the robot is popping out so much (which was something that you liked, so just ignore me if you want). I wonder what it would look like if it were zoomed out a bit. Either way I love it so far!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 05:31:55 pm by krangbrain »

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2018, 05:12:24 pm »
I think I like the one on the left the most too. And I agree about the laser rings. Dont like the green. I think I would just delete the rings, but IDK, your call.
That artist you have online is pretty good.
I have never vested much in artwork on my cabs, probably should, and seeing this guys work has me thinking.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2018, 05:39:48 pm »
1000 percent better than a video game character mashup. I still prefer it without the border. The colors are fantastic. No laser rings.