Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: javeryh's Small-ish Bartop ["Jack Attack!"]  (Read 122948 times)

lomoverde

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: javeryh's Small-ish Bartop ["Jack Attack!"]
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2018, 02:52:26 pm »
When you get around to the software side of things you should definately check out motion blue 6.
 Couldnt be easier to install a custom splashscreen for boot up.Theres a setting in the menus to boot into any chosen system.And kid mode now works great,it has a set combination of button and joystick moves to exit it.Also you can set the screensaver to play random snaps when its laying idle.you will maybe even find a pre made theme your happy with.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2018, 07:43:40 pm »
When you get around to the software side of things you should definately check out motion blue 6.
 Couldnt be easier to install a custom splashscreen for boot up.Theres a setting in the menus to boot into any chosen system.And kid mode now works great,it has a set combination of button and joystick moves to exit it.Also you can set the screensaver to play random snaps when its laying idle.you will maybe even find a pre made theme your happy with.

Thanks - I will definitely take a look.  I’m going for bare bones.  1 gamelist with everything integrated.  Splash screen and kid friendly controls.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2018, 08:00:45 pm »
More baby steps.  I completed the rear bottom panel and solved the volume knob problem.  Well, Vidiot solved it for me...

I traced the PCB with the volume knob in the 3/4” hole I cut and then routed out the back of the panel leaving about 3/16”.

Then I cut a scrap of ABS plastic and drilled out a 1/4” hole in the middle using my step bit.  That thing works great - produces a nice clean hole.

Here is the result - looks good and the volume knob will be easily accessible and fully operational.

I am not gluing any pieces in place until after I paint but for now this panel is 100% complete.  I really want to get this thing painted but I have a bit more work to do on some of the panels:

• The top panel needs the edge removed like the speaker panel
  • I need to figure out the back door.  I have some magnets and a cam lock but I'm now thinking a piano hinge is the way to go with the cam lock up top to hold it in place.
  • I need to make the control panel (the top and front piece).  I don't need to cut the button holes but I do need to figure out how to attach it to the cabinet and allow access.

I'm getting there.  Once I get paint on it should move fast.  I'm also starting to think about the art - I want to get that right.  I know what I want in my head but I hope I can find someone to bring it to life...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 10:50:28 am by javeryh »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2018, 12:21:47 pm »
A little bit more progress...

I completed the speaker panel.  Not a huge deal but good to cross off the list.  I drilled out the holes for the 2 speakers (1.75"), drilled the holes to mount the speakers and shaved off the front of the panel for the marquee retainer.  Hopefully this is enough to not create a shadow on the marquee.

Here is a close-up of how the marquee retainer will sit.  Assuming the entire area behind the marquee will be lit, the retainer will be where the cut off is for what is viewable instead of the top of the MDF speaker panel, which I think would create a 1/8" strip of the marquee that would not be lit but would be viewable and would look weird.  I'll have to do the same thing to the top panel as well.

Here is a close-up of one side of the speaker panel with the speaker installed.  Two screws seems to be holding it in place nicely so I will probably go with that.  I have a slight concern about the metal screw somehow interfering with the sound coming out of the speaker so the less the better.  I'm probably worried for no reason.

Here is the "final" panel with the speakers installed.  Pretty tight fit but it works. 

I ordered some 1.75" speaker grilles off of eBay from China for like $4 to eventually use on the face of the panel once everything is assembled.  I'm open to other ideas though.

:cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2018, 01:08:27 pm »
Id paint that beveled edge white to help with the light bouncing off it. Those screws shouldnt impact sound at all.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2018, 05:03:09 pm »
Id paint that beveled edge white to help with the light bouncing off it. Those screws shouldnt impact sound at all.

Good idea.  Maybe a little tin foil there would help too.  I am going to prime the entire thing inside and out so it will be white...  :cheers:

rave0035

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2018, 09:17:52 pm »
The fewer screws you use the worse they will sound.  2 is enough; 4 is right. 

The paper cone is the part that moves and makes sound, not the bracket.

Mike
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2018, 10:24:42 am »

Mike

Great.  I'll use 4 screws to hold them down.  Thanks.

Last night I cut the panels for the control panel.  I'm really not sure what to do about holding the monitor glass in place (will be 1/8" tempered gray glass) so I made the CP a little long just in case.  Also, the front angle is NOT 90 degrees even though it should have been...  turns out it is 95 degrees so I had to cut both panels at that angle to get it to line up.  Rounding over the front edge should be interesting too...

So now comes the time when I need to figure out where all of the buttons go.  I am definitely going with a 6 button SF setup on the top - the problem I'm having is where to place the admin buttons (and what admin buttons to use).  Here's what I'm thinking:

• P1 Start - 100% must have dedicated button
  • P2 Start - 95% must have dedicated button.  This is a 1 player cab but if I recall correctly, a lot of classics require you to press P2 Start once you drop in $0.50 to make it a 2 player game.  Otherwise head to head games will be played with a bluetooth controller... which will have its own P2 Start button.  I imagine this will be a 1P cab most of the time but I'd like to have the ability for 2P games.
  • Coin - 100% must have dedicated button.
  • Exit - 75% must have dedicated button (I thought about making it so P1+P2 Start = Exit but worried this will be too confusing).  Simplicity is #1 goal of this cabinet (along with playability, design and form factor heh).
  • Pause - would be nice to have

As for location, I'm thinking about along the front panel of the CP or possibly creating an admin panel above the CP but below the monitor.  I have to check on the amount of room I have there but that might be the cleanest solution.  Buttons on the front make me think hey will accidentally get pressed...

I'd love some feedback on this :cheers:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:32:54 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2018, 11:29:58 am »
  • Exit - 75% must have dedicated button (I thought about making it so P1+P2 Start = Exit but worried this will be too confusing).  Simplicity is #1 goal of this cabinet (along with playability, design and form factor heh).

In RocketLauncher you can make one button have multiple functions.  Personally I like the idea of holding down a button for a certain specified time (I’m going with 3 seconds) on exit so there aren’t any accidents.  You can press the button once or multiple times to get different functions (pause maybe).  Might slightly confuse a user but if it’s labeled..... :dunno

Great build, looking forward to the updates.

firedance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:36:51 am
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2018, 11:51:24 am »
Hi, on my last bartop (single player) I used coin+start to exit mame, easy to setup in rocket launcher, to pause mame used start+button 6, this was set up in mame again very easy to do so you really don't need any more buttons then 6 per player plus coin and start, hope that makes sense :)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
javeryh's Small-ish Bartop ["Jack Attack!"]
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2018, 10:24:53 am »

In RocketLauncher you can make one button have multiple functions.  Personally I like the idea of holding down a button for a certain specified time (I’m going with 3 seconds) on exit so there aren’t any accidents.  You can press the button once or multiple times to get different functions (pause maybe).  Might slightly confuse a user but if it’s labeled..... :dunno

Great build, looking forward to the updates.

I had no idea you could set it up so a timed button press did something.  That is super cool and may be a way to combine Pause and Exit (tap for Pause; hold for Exit).  I’m still kicking this around in my head. 

I just got my Seimitsu buttons from Focus Attack and I hope to mock up the CP soon (getting crushed with kid activities this weekend).  I’m leaning towards a separate panel below the monitor for all the admin stuff (except Coin, which will be dead center on the front of the CP and flush) but not sure there is enough room since I didn’t originally plan for it.  It would be nice to also route a slot to hold the monitor glass in the same panel if it can all fit.  I have some nice 24mm buttons for admin but even those might be too big...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 10:26:40 am by javeryh »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:32:54 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2018, 11:38:11 am »
I had no idea you could set it up so a timed button press did something.  That is super cool and may be a way to combine Pause and Exit (tap for Pause; hold for Exit).  I’m still kicking this around in my head. 

Here's a screen shot for reference:

For some reason a single tap for Pause screws up the hold function for Exit on my machine (haven't had a chance to look into this).  But for now the quick fix is a double tap for Pause and a (in my case) 3 second hold for exit.  I like the idea that someone can't Exit accidentally and you minimize the number of buttons.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2018, 05:17:12 pm »
If your keeping it simple for your son,motion blue can run with 1 hot key and 2 coin buttons if your 2 player.hot key and coin 1 to exit game,and hot key and you decide to pause.Retroarch anyway.
Although pause is cheating.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 05:31:55 pm by lomoverde »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2018, 09:29:28 pm »
Here's a screen shot for reference:

For some reason a single tap for Pause screws up the hold function for Exit on my machine (haven't had a chance to look into this).  But for now the quick fix is a double tap for Pause and a (in my case) 3 second hold for exit.  I like the idea that someone can't Exit accidentally and you minimize the number of buttons.

Thanks.  I'll look into this.  I've been experimenting but not sure about the solution yet.

If your keeping it simple for your son,motion blue can run with 1 hot key and 2 coin buttons if your 2 player.hot key and coin 1 to exit game,and hot key and you decide to pause.Retroarch anyway.
Although pause is cheating.

Thanks but I do not want any hot keys on this cabinet.  Too confusing believe it or not!  Pause may be cheating but I think I have to have it the more I think about it.  My house is chaos 99% of the time and I'm sure he will get interrupted while playing more often than not.  Pause would save a lot of headaches and "5 more minutes mom - I can't pause it!"   ;D

I have been thinking about the admin buttons and trying to come up with an elegant solution and I think I'm onto something.  There may be just enough space below the monitor and above the control panel to have an admin panel.  The way I've laid it out (if you can't see) is EXIT isolated to the far left (no accidental presses) and then P1 START, P2 START and PAUSE all in a row on the other side.

I was thinking about putting the COIN button in the front of the Control Panel dead center.  To avoid accidental taps (not that it really matters) I dug out some old flush buttons to see if one would work.  This has a very thin bezel that the actual button is completely flush with.  It's pretty cool (you can even light it up if you want).  I like this idea in theory but I'm afraid the button looks out of place compared to the other smaller admin buttons (never mind the fact that the button bezel is black).  It is also probably located out of place all by itself on the front of the Control Panel... There may be room on the Admin Panel for another 24mm button though next to P1 START.

So now I'm thinking I could:

(1) make the PAUSE button shown above the COIN button and relocate PAUSE to the front of the Control Panel but maybe all the way to the right or left? 

Or

(2) take a button away from the group of 3 and only have P1 and P2 START on the Admin Panel to the right and then have 2 more buttons for PAUSE and COIN on the front of the Control Panel (centered?  One to each side to line up with the EXIT and P2 START buttons on the admin panel?).  If PAUSE or COIN get hit by mistake I don't think it really matters so they are probably safe on the front of the Control Panel so this might work.

I'm still thinking about it but I think there is a solution here...

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2018, 09:55:53 am »
Alright - I've mocked up my last rambling post... which one looks best?

This puts all 5 admin buttons in one spot above the CP and below the monitor leaving the front of the CP blank.  EXIT is isolated, but I worry that there is too much going on here.

This layout would align EXIT and PAUSE and align P2 and COIN (each set 1/2" in from edge on the admin panel and front of the CP).  This layout is nice in that you aren't really going to be accidentally pressing any buttons but I'm not sure what to think about a solitary button in 3 out of the 4 "corners".  It's not bad though.

This layout has COIN and PAUSE on the front of the CP - I could space these any way I want (a button width apart?) but they would be generally centered.  I kind of like this one too and it's not like it matters if you hit COIN while reaching to PAUSE while playing (although it may be a slightly bigger deal the other way around).

This layout has COIN and PAUSE lined up to the right with P1 START and P2 START.  This is the most uniform layout (I think) and still isolates EXIT nicely.  The same issue with #3 is present here (pressing COIN or PAUSE when you mean to hit the other).  This one is pleasing to the eye as well.

I'm leaning towards #3 or #4... I think.  Thoughts?   :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2018, 03:40:55 pm »
Two more. 

COIN in the middle of the front CP panel and everything else up top.

No bezel and everything on the front of the CP.

I think #4 is out.  Too weighted to one side.  #6 seems too busy on the front of the CP but I do like #5.  So now I think it is between #3 and #5.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2018, 07:53:45 pm »
I say none of the above and do the following :)

Or even better swap the 2 around, so exit and pause under monitor and rest on front of control panel  almost guaranteed not to press exit by accident then :)

Would look sweet with a credit reject as the coin up :) Not sure if would fit though.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2018, 08:06:39 pm »
I like the idea of making it symmetrical.  I played with it a little more and I think I'm going with this:

I'm also thinking of ditching the bottom button altogether... for aesthetics.  I guess I could shift PAUSE to "Down+ COIN" as was suggested.  This would keep the front of the CP clean... but I really want a PAUSE button because I think my son will need it. 

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2018, 10:50:14 am »
My vote is still with a coin reject button for coin up on the front, Tell me if it won't fit and I'll drop the matter  >:D

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2018, 12:45:13 pm »
My vote is still with a coin reject button for coin up on the front, Tell me if it won't fit and I'll drop the matter  >:D

Not a bad idea.  It would be neat to get something to work - doesn't have to match the other buttons - and then maybe the lone button wouldn't look so out of place.  I'll have to think about this - should be easy enough to add any time in the build process if I choose to do so (assuming it fits, of course).

Last night I made the Admin Panel with the 4 button symmetrical layout:

It came out nice - I'm trying to figure out how to mount this to the cabinet and also incorporate the monitor glass directly above it somehow.  I may end up rounding over the top (or making a 45 degree angle) that will touch the glass and glue a couple of strips of 1/8" hardboard to the back to make a channel so the monitor will have somewhere to rest.  Adding the Admin Panel also means that the monitor glass will sit 1/2" into the cabinet body instead of 1/4" like all of the other panels all the way around.  If I offset the Admin Panel by 1/4" and the monitor glass is going to sit flush behind it, since the Admin Panel is 1/4" that will mean the glass is 1/2" from the edge.  Like this:

Still kicking this around. 

The other thing I did last night was lay out the Control Panel.  I didn't drill any holes yet and I was sweating this out because I wasn't 100% sure everything would fit.  It does - barely.  The joystick I'm using is a ServoStik so there is a pretty large footprint with the motor attached to the side.  I only have to move the joystick 1/2" closer to the buttons than it would normally be if I had all the space I wanted, which is great.  Virtually no compromise there. 

Looking at this now, I have to raise everything by about 1/2" because the bottom of the motor may hit the front panel of the Control Panel where it is shown now.  Also, I'm not sure if you can tell but there is a line at the top of the Control Panel with some "x"s above it - this material needs to be removed so it will actually end up a little smaller than what is shown.  I made the panel long for now because that cut will be at the angle the Control Panel meets the admin panel and I' have to make some test cuts first. 

I am planning on mounting the joystick underneath the panel and NOT routing out any material.  The panel is only 1/2" so I think this will be fine. 

It's coming together... slowly.  I really want to get going on the artwork but I need to know the exact measurements of each panel before trying to get something made.  Also, with the "new" Admin panel, I may need some artwork for that as well.  I'm at a bit of a loss since I don't know how to use Photoshop or any digital art program.  I'll probably end up commissioning someone at DeviantArt to make something for me. 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2018, 06:39:47 pm »
Ugh.  I wanted to drill the holes for the CP tonight and finish that piece but I didn't feel comfortable after drilling some test holes.  The button bezel barely covered the hole.  By like a hair.  I have 30mm buttons but a 1-1/4" forstner bit.  So I ordered a 30mm bit from Amazon that will be here Saturday.  I did manage to trim the top of the CP at a 51 degree angle so it will sit flush with the monitor glass and I'm in the process of gluing the front panel together (I figure I can drill the button holes after the fact).

It seems like I get about 10 minutes worth of work done even though I spend an hour each night after work.   :banghead:

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2018, 10:42:47 pm »
Looking good there Jav!

I hear you about 1 hour = 10 minutes of work. been there. Hang in there buddy, if you get in a hurry you are more likely to mess up, trust me I know. LOL

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2018, 12:13:00 am »
looking at the control panel there doesn't seem to be much room to rest your palm to play comfortably, is it too late or even possible to move the buttons and joystick further up the panel ???

i made mistake on a 2 player bartop where player one was too far left so the players fingers were over the side on the joystick, redid the panel and moved the controls 50mm inwards.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2018, 01:03:20 pm »

Mike

Just cause I have a project with similar speaker mounting method: Why do they sound better with 4 screws per speaker VS 2 screws?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2018, 02:28:10 pm »
Looking good there Jav!

I hear you about 1 hour = 10 minutes of work. been there. Hang in there buddy, if you get in a hurry you are more likely to mess up, trust me I know. LOL

yeah - my life is crazy busy all the time because of the kids and all the activities.  Plus, I don't have a proper workspace.  It takes me 20 minutes just to get the tools out and set up!  Summer should hopefully slow down a little bit.  In my head I keep thinking I'm almost finished and then when I sit down and stare at it I realize there are a million little things to do and figure out.  It's all good though - this is supposed to be fun!

looking at the control panel there doesn't seem to be much room to rest your palm to play comfortably, is it too late or even possible to move the buttons and joystick further up the panel ???

i made mistake on a 2 player bartop where player one was too far left so the players fingers were over the side on the joystick, redid the panel and moved the controls 50mm inwards.

I already moved everything "up" by 1/2", which I think is as far as I can go.  The CP pictured actually needed to be trimmed by about 1" at the top in order to fit.  That cut was on an angle so I purposely left it long while I laid everything out.  It feels comfortable to me even with my giant hands but I guess I won't really know until it is too late.   ;D

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2018, 05:09:16 pm »
Ah, no problem, thought it was worth a mention :)

rave0035

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2018, 10:48:11 pm »
Just cause I have a project with similar speaker mounting method: Why do they sound better with 4 screws per speaker VS 2 screws?

That big round magnet on the back of the speaker?  It pushes and pulls the paper cone in and out thousands of times per second with the AC audio signal.   

2 screws might be enough, but the point is that the more secure you can make the bracket, the better the speaker will perform.  It probably won't matter with drivers of this size, but if it's no big deal -- why not sink a few more screws?

Mike
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2018, 08:14:06 am »

That big round magnet on the back of the speaker?  It pushes and pulls the paper cone in and out thousands of times per second with the AC audio signal.   

2 screws might be enough, but the point is that the more secure you can make the bracket, the better the speaker will perform.  It probably won't matter with drivers of this size, but if it's no big deal -- why not sink a few more screws?

Mike

So is it the frame is more likely to vibrate with 2 instead of 4? Or is there danger of just the two working loose?

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2018, 04:45:35 pm »
Im still curious what software and hardware is going to run inside this.Looks a really nice build,but i wonder how you could possibly have anything running rocketlauncher squashed inside.I honestly think before planning out button placement,you should look into software youll be using,and how it could impact your button choice.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2018, 09:39:06 am »
Im still curious what software and hardware is going to run inside this.Looks a really nice build,but i wonder how you could possibly have anything running rocketlauncher squashed inside.I honestly think before planning out button placement,you should look into software youll be using,and how it could impact your button choice.

I'm most likely going to be using a Raspberry Pi 3B+ inside running RetroPie.  The plan is to customize the layout to only run arcade games.  I want to be able to play some fighting games (SF, MK, etc.) so that is what is guiding the button layout.  I have never even heard of RocketLauncher but I'm not 100% sold yet on any set up and I'm willing to learn.  I would like to use a computer and Windows XP running MAME and MaLa because that is what I'm most familiar with but there isn't enough room.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2018, 04:34:18 pm »
Still moving very slow.  Having some trouble with the back panel and the hinge for the access door.  Seems like no matter what I am going to have a small gap.  I routed out mortises for the hinges so they sit flush but when the panel closes there is still a 1/16" gap.  Not the end of the world and it's on the back of the cab so it won't even be seen most of the time but there are the stupid things slowing me down.

Other than the CP, all construction should be finished today so I can start thinking about prime/paint.   :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2018, 10:14:05 am »
Small update:

I got the rear panel installation finished yesterday and I'm pretty happy with how it came out all things considered.  I mortised the hinges trying to get a tight fit and I did even though there is still a slight gap... but after thinking about it, the gap is unavoidable.  Now of course I'm worried that the paint job will add a layer of thickness that will screw things up.  This is how my stupid brain works.

I used my router to make the cuts and a chisel to clean things up to the edges to get a clean line.  Chiseling MDF is not fun.  I also don't have a vice and I had to clamp the panels to the side of my work bench.  Even still the router wasn't perfect because at the edges there wasn't anything to support the router base so the cuts got a little wonky.  It's all good in the end though.

I laid the hinges out to line up exactly with the volume knob and power socket on the lower panel.  Just thought it would look nice.

Once I figured out where I wanted them to go, I used the hinges to actually draw the pencil lines.

Here's where you can see the routed out edges.  Not my neatest job but nothing you will see on the finished product.  You can also see the clamping nightmare I'm dealing with just to set this up.  Getting the 2 panels flush and clamped to the edge of my work bench took WAY longer than it should have taken.  A third arm would have come in handy...

And here's a close up so you can see the true ugliness of this effort.  I was sweating more than I should have been in the 95 degree heat because I thought I ruined the panels and redoing it all was going to set me back a week.

I put it all together, including the cabinet lock, to see how it would look and it's not 1/2 bad!  Nice placement on the hinges and barely any gap!  Once this is painted black no one will notice (I hope) and also it's the back of the cab so um... yeah.  Don't look back there!

With the rear panel open, there is plenty of room to get in there if I have to.  I need to figure out a "stop" for the door though.  The lock allows the door to be pulled out about 1/8" and not sit flush.  I bought a magnet so I'll probably install that in the top left or right corner of the door panel so the door can catch onto something.

Apologies for the potato quality pics.  I took them quickly because the dog started eating my daughter's new sandals and there was yelling involved so I got distracted.  I'll try to take some more pics tonight.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2018, 11:04:41 am »
Look pretty nice to me!

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2018, 11:06:03 am »
Looks like you're making some great progress.  :applaud:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2018, 12:12:46 pm »
Look pretty nice to me!

Looks like you're making some great progress.  :applaud:

Thanks guys!  It is coming out nice but going much slower than I had hoped.  My son's birthday is in 2 weeks and there is basically no way I'll finish in time.  It's OK though - he's getting a cell phone for his birthday (send help!) so this is just icing on the cake.

Before painting, I still have to:
  • Make one more cut on the top panel so that the marquee light won't create a shadow (exactly the same thing I did to the speaker panel under the marquee).
  • Round over the control panel.  I have a 1/4" roundover bit that I did some tests on and I think it might be too big of a curve - 1/8" would probably be better.  I could also sand, but then I worry about making it even enough so the CP artwork can roll over the edge without making bubbles.  I'm not totally sure what to do and I'd rather not buy another router bit for one cut if I can avoid it.
  • Cut 2 of the speaker panel battons so that the monitor glass will be able to slide up behind the panel and be held in place. I made these a little long initially.

Still thinking about all of this but I really want to be ready for primer on Wednesday...  I am going to paint BEFORE gluing everything up so that everything goes on smooth.  The plan is to use Duratex on the back and top panels to give it a durable textured finish.  I used this stuff on a bunch of speakers I made last summer and loved the way they came out.  The other visible parts of the cabinet (sides, CP and admin panel) will be covered by artwork so I'm only going to prime and sand.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2018, 12:33:25 pm »
I would use the 1/4" round over router bit. Can't wait to see this finished but don't rush it too much. You'll be glad you were patient and took your time. ;)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2018, 10:41:21 am »
I would use the 1/4" round over router bit. Can't wait to see this finished but don't rush it too much. You'll be glad you were patient and took your time. ;)

I caved and bought an $8 1/8" roundover bit.  ;D  I figured in the grand scheme of things I'd be happier spending the $8 to do it the way I want.  The corners of the side panels are closer to 1/8" because I just sanded them down myself until they were round but I didn't remove that much material.  This should make the CP curve match a little better... I hope.

I took a few more pics of the cabinet in its current state and am starting to have some concerns about the placement of the admin panel in relation to the joystick and action buttons as explained in the video.  I am not good at making videos but I like watching other people's so I figure something is better than nothing!

Here's a front shot of where things stand currently.  You can see the very top panel still needs to be beveled to match the speaker panel.  That's about it though.  Pretty much ready for paint.

Here's a shot of the back with the access door closed.  The gaps aren't bad at all.  Certainly better than I initially thought.  The only thing missing is the volume knob, which will go in the lower left where the hole is.

This what it will look like with the door opened up.  Plenty of room for my giant hands to work on the inside of this thing when it is all finished.  Getting this put together actually made me start to think about final assembly.  There are certain panels I may not want to glue in place permanently.  For example, there is not enough room above the speaker panel to remove or swap out the speakers should something go wrong down the line.  I may need to rely on screws only here otherwise I'll have to install the speaker and then glue the panel in place (and even then, how would I wire it?).

Check out the sweet hinge that I installed flush to the edge of each panel...

And here it is in action!  How exciting!

! No longer available

The next picture shows where the admin panel MAY go.  I'm having second thoughts, which I explain in the video below.

! No longer available

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with admin buttons mounted below the screen?  I'd like to place them there but I will really be annoyed if I'm accidentally exiting games because of moving the joystick around.  I'm less concerned about the buttons in the middle (P1/P2 Start) or on the right (Coin) because hitting those won't really affect anything.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:42:53 am by javeryh »

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2018, 12:02:56 pm »
I think your concern on the admin buttons is valid. I think they would work well in front of the panel the way you showed in the video.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2018, 05:25:53 pm »
Nice work. Following  along..

Not seen a shot with the screen in yet..you gonna have much of a bezel?

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2018, 05:26:37 pm »
Side pinball buttons?